Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

Stats: 5'1", 102 lbs
    coloradomom is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) coloradomom is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) coloradomom is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) coloradomom is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) coloradomom is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) coloradomom is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) coloradomom is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) coloradomom is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) coloradomom is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) coloradomom is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) coloradomom is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Visit coloradomom's BodySpace

Thumbs down Throbbing headache when lifting??

I have been lifting weights for about 3-4 months now and have had no problems. I try to breathe properly and not strain my neck. The past week and a half, everytime I lift I get a headache. It's a throbbing one sided headache and it ruins my entire workout. I've tried pushing through it but most times I just cut my workout short. It lingers after the workout until I take a few motrin. Has anyone had anything like this? If so, how did you get rid of it? I was hoping it would just go away, but it's been almost 2 weeks now of ruined workouts. It doesn't hurt when I run or do cardio, just lifting.

poweroats is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by coloradomom View Post
    I have been lifting weights for about 3-4 months now and have had no problems. I try to breathe properly and not strain my neck. The past week and a half, everytime I lift I get a headache. It's a throbbing one sided headache and it ruins my entire workout. I've tried pushing through it but most times I just cut my workout short. It lingers after the workout until I take a few motrin. Has anyone had anything like this? If so, how did you get rid of it? I was hoping it would just go away, but it's been almost 2 weeks now of ruined workouts. It doesn't hurt when I run or do cardio, just lifting.
    Google 'exertion headache' up, would help alot.

Stats: 5'3", 126 lbs
    oregonchick76 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) oregonchick76 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) oregonchick76 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) oregonchick76 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) oregonchick76 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) oregonchick76 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) oregonchick76 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) oregonchick76 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) oregonchick76 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) oregonchick76 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) oregonchick76 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit oregonchick76's BodySpace
    See a doctor? Have you had any problems with migraines? Sinus infections? Allergies? Blood pressure? So many different things can cause headaches. It's usually a pressure related issue. You need to at least rule out other more serious medical issues first.

I personally get headaches when I lift if I have a stuffy nose or allergies, because lifting increases the cranial pressure so much, and if the sinuses are plugged, it's just that much worse. I also get weird headaches if I have low blood sugar, but they are not on one side.

It doesn't have to be a life or death deal, but check with the doc.
    squat - 215
    bench - 135
    deadlift - 275
    press - 105

"if the bar ain't bendin', you're just pretendin'"

coloradomom is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) coloradomom is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) coloradomom is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) coloradomom is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) coloradomom is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) coloradomom is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) coloradomom is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) coloradomom is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) coloradomom is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) coloradomom is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) coloradomom is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Thanks. I've heard about exertion headaches -I was hoping someone had personal experience and maybe some tips on something that worked? I was hoping it was temporary and would go away on its own, but I guess I need to call Dr.

poweroats is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by coloradomom View Post
    Thanks. I've heard about exertion headaches -I was hoping someone had personal experience and maybe some tips on something that worked? I was hoping it was temporary and would go away on its own, but I guess I need to call Dr.
    Had it once. Took a week off and rested properly, treated my warm ups more seriously as well and thought that helped out the most. Never had it again so far.

gailh has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gailh has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gailh has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gailh has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gailh has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gailh has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gailh has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gailh has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gailh has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gailh has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gailh has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit gailh's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by oregonchick76 View Post
    See a doctor? Have you had any problems with migraines? Sinus infections? Allergies? Blood pressure? So many different things can cause headaches. It's usually a pressure related issue. You need to at least rule out other more serious medical issues first.

IIt doesn't have to be a life or death deal, but check with the doc.
    agreed...consult someone who knows

Made appt with chiropractor to start, since my neck has been really tight lately. Will let you all know what he does/says. I searched the forum and got tons of hits, I guess this is a common problem. Also, it seems like once you get one, they tend to come back and recur frequently. I do tend to carry tension in my traps and when I lift I do tense my neck so I'm wondering if that's causing the headaches?

Stats: 5'8", 135 lbs
    Hannah73Louise has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hannah73Louise has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hannah73Louise has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hannah73Louise has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hannah73Louise has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hannah73Louise has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hannah73Louise has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hannah73Louise has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hannah73Louise has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hannah73Louise has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hannah73Louise has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit Hannah73Louise's BodySpace
    I had this about 3 months after I started lifting. It maybe a broken blood vessel or something like that. I found they gradually lessened and went away completely after about 6 weeks. Never had it again!
    "Ain't about how fast I get there.....it's the climb"

Originally Posted by Hannah73Louise View Post
    I had this about 3 months after I started lifting. It maybe a broken blood vessel or something like that. I found they gradually lessened and went away completely after about 6 weeks. Never had it again!
    Thanks! I really hope that is the case for me. If they aren't gone in a couple days I'm going to ask for MRI. Chiro adjusted my neck today and said to do more reps less weight until I feel better.

Update:

Had MRI with and without contrast - everything normal (thank God b/c I'm a cancer survivor and Dr's first concern was it had spread!).

It may not be "Exertion headache" afterall. They are thinking it's CERVICOGENIC HEADACHES. Seeing a chiropractor again next week.