carlos1810 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Running to lose weight

I'm trying to start running for fat loss. My BMI is 25 percent and I weight 175. I ran two miles yesterday in 20 minutes which is horrible. Just looking for help in how to run effectively for weight loss and adding maybe situps and pull ups on days I don't run. Anything would help thank you

Voxmusculus is just really nice. (+1000) Voxmusculus is just really nice. (+1000) Voxmusculus is just really nice. (+1000) Voxmusculus is just really nice. (+1000) Voxmusculus is just really nice. (+1000) Voxmusculus is just really nice. (+1000) Voxmusculus is just really nice. (+1000) Voxmusculus is just really nice. (+1000) Voxmusculus is just really nice. (+1000) Voxmusculus is just really nice. (+1000) Voxmusculus is just really nice. (+1000)
    Any particular reason you want to run rather than, say, lift weights? Don't get me wrong - I love running, but cardio isn't the most effective way to lose weight.

Diet + lifting is, and I've personally seen a significant weight loss (for me) using those two. I still do the cardio activities that I enjoy (rowing + running), but they are not the focus. Surprisingly, my performance and times in both have improved significantly simply from eating better and lifting weights. When I started out, I was doing a mile in ~12-13 minutes. Now, I can easily do a ~8 minute mile without any problems.

Read this, for starters: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=129247741

ScaleAndSteel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ScaleAndSteel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ScaleAndSteel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ScaleAndSteel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ScaleAndSteel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ScaleAndSteel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ScaleAndSteel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ScaleAndSteel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ScaleAndSteel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ScaleAndSteel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ScaleAndSteel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by carlos1810 View Post
    I'm trying to start running for fat loss. My BMI is 25 percent and I weight 175. I ran two miles yesterday in 20 minutes which is horrible. Just looking for help in how to run effectively for weight loss and adding maybe situps and pull ups on days I don't run. Anything would help thank you
    Running is excellent for over-all health and fitness but IMO it isn't good for fat loss. Often times people find that running stimulates appetite and you eat more. Couple that with the fact that running a mile in ten minutes doesn't burn all that many calories and many people can find themselves gaining weight from running. Don't take that to mean people shouldn't run, only that running by its self may not get you to your goal.

I would highly suggest taking time to learn proper nutrition first. It starts and ends with nutrition. It took me many years and many failed attempts to learn that lesson. If your nutrition isn't right, you will never get anywhere with fat loss.

I would start here:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703981

Read it until you get it. Ask any questions you have. Once you get the idea you can browse the net and easily find calculators to plug your numbers into. Then find a tracking site for your food. I use myfitnesspal.com but there are others out there. Then you have to actually track your food intake. It will take awhile to get it customized to you. Once your tracking your food you will get the numbers you need to lose weight.

Running comes in great here. Because your tracking your calories you will know if you are in-danger of overeating and if you find running to cause to much hunger issues then you can start looking for other workout plans. Lifting is great. HIIT is great. There are tons of options.

But you have to start with nutrition or you will not succeed. Simple as that.

D3D will become famous soon enough. (+50) D3D will become famous soon enough. (+50) D3D will become famous soon enough. (+50) D3D will become famous soon enough. (+50) D3D will become famous soon enough. (+50) D3D will become famous soon enough. (+50) D3D will become famous soon enough. (+50) D3D will become famous soon enough. (+50) D3D will become famous soon enough. (+50) D3D will become famous soon enough. (+50) D3D will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Running will definitely make you hungry, especially as you increase your mileage, you just have to exercise some self control and you won't gain weight. To say that running doesn't burn all that many calories is ridiculous, I burn around 1,000 calories/hour running, sometimes more depending on the pace. As mentioned though, nutrition is the key. No matter what you're doing for exercise, you have to eat right.
    -Dave

"To those who dare to jump into the void...
    you owe no explanation to those who stand by and watch"

ScaleAndSteel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ScaleAndSteel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ScaleAndSteel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ScaleAndSteel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ScaleAndSteel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ScaleAndSteel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ScaleAndSteel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ScaleAndSteel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ScaleAndSteel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ScaleAndSteel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ScaleAndSteel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by D3D View Post
    Running will definitely make you hungry, especially as you increase your mileage, you just have to exercise some self control and you won't gain weight. To say that running doesn't burn all that many calories is ridiculous, I burn around 1,000 calories/hour running, sometimes more depending on the pace. As mentioned though, nutrition is the key. No matter what you're doing for exercise, you have to eat right.
    Running doesn't burn that many calories. He is running two miles in 20 minutes and you are running for an hour and probably at a much higher rate of speed. You are wrong to compare yourself with some one just starting off. Running a mile at speed of 9-10 minutes a mile isn't going to burn more than what...150 calories at most? That is a cup of yogurt in your diet.

Edit: just to make it clear, I am all for running and do a 1 hour run once a week and follow all my lifting workouts with a 10-20 minute treadmill run. Running is really really good. But it isn't good to be used as a sole source of fat loss. It has to be nutrition first. I would also suggest weight lifting as being better for fat loss than running anyways.

Khabaal will become famous soon enough. (+50) Khabaal will become famous soon enough. (+50) Khabaal will become famous soon enough. (+50) Khabaal will become famous soon enough. (+50) Khabaal will become famous soon enough. (+50) Khabaal will become famous soon enough. (+50) Khabaal will become famous soon enough. (+50) Khabaal will become famous soon enough. (+50) Khabaal will become famous soon enough. (+50) Khabaal will become famous soon enough. (+50) Khabaal will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ScaleAndSteel View Post
    Running is excellent for over-all health and fitness but IMO it isn't good for fat loss...

...running a mile in ten minutes doesn't burn all that many calories and many people can find themselves gaining weight from running. Don't take that to mean people shouldn't run...

If your nutrition isn't right, you will never get anywhere with fat loss.

... you have to start with nutrition or you will not succeed. Simple as that.
    All excellent points. In the end, it comes down to consumption. Fat is stored energy. You have to let your body use it by consuming less than you expend, else you risk storing more instead.

kameleon23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kameleon23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kameleon23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kameleon23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kameleon23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kameleon23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kameleon23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kameleon23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kameleon23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kameleon23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kameleon23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Running will not correct a bad diet...unless you are a marathoner haha

D3D will become famous soon enough. (+50) D3D will become famous soon enough. (+50) D3D will become famous soon enough. (+50) D3D will become famous soon enough. (+50) D3D will become famous soon enough. (+50) D3D will become famous soon enough. (+50) D3D will become famous soon enough. (+50) D3D will become famous soon enough. (+50) D3D will become famous soon enough. (+50) D3D will become famous soon enough. (+50) D3D will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Running doesn't burn that many calories. He is running two miles in 20 minutes and you are running for an hour and probably at a much higher rate of speed. You are wrong to compare yourself with some one just starting off. Running a mile at speed of 9-10 minutes a mile isn't going to burn more than what...150 calories at most? That is a cup of yogurt in your diet.

Edit: just to make it clear, I am all for running and do a 1 hour run once a week and follow all my lifting workouts with a 10-20 minute treadmill run. Running is really really good. But it isn't good to be used as a sole source of fat loss. It has to be nutrition first. I would also suggest weight lifting as being better for fat loss than running anyways.
    Definitely, you have to put in the time/miles to burn the kinds of calories that I am now. I'm running 40 miles a week now, just did 13 miles today in about two hours, probably burned over 2,000 calories. Of course now I want to eat everything in sight lol It's really tough on my long run days, because I have to make sure I keep my body fueled, but not overdo it, since I'm still looking to drop another 15lbs or so.

Diet is absolutely #1, you can't out train bad nutrition.
    -Dave

Definitely, you have to put in the time/miles to burn the kinds of calories that I am now. I'm running 40 miles a week now, just did 13 miles today in about two hours, probably burned over 2,000 calories. Of course now I want to eat everything in sight lol It's really tough on my long run days, because I have to make sure I keep my body fueled, but not overdo it, since I'm still looking to drop another 15lbs or so.

Are you marathon training by chance?

MilSpec4Life is on a distinguished road. (+10) MilSpec4Life is on a distinguished road. (+10) MilSpec4Life is on a distinguished road. (+10) MilSpec4Life is on a distinguished road. (+10) MilSpec4Life is on a distinguished road. (+10) MilSpec4Life is on a distinguished road. (+10) MilSpec4Life is on a distinguished road. (+10) MilSpec4Life is on a distinguished road. (+10) MilSpec4Life is on a distinguished road. (+10) MilSpec4Life is on a distinguished road. (+10) MilSpec4Life is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If you're gonna run a lot, get the Nike+ app. Keeps you moving. I have previously went from 208-185 and 249-202 with weights/diet/running as my routine.

MRO44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MRO44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I personally run for cardiovascular health and not for cutting. Sure it helps with cutting, but you can do just the same with a caloric deficit. I'm currently cutting and when I want that extra meal or feeling a little bit more hungry, I'll make sure I run a couple miles that day.

SLO will become famous soon enough. (+50) SLO will become famous soon enough. (+50) SLO will become famous soon enough. (+50) SLO will become famous soon enough. (+50) SLO will become famous soon enough. (+50) SLO will become famous soon enough. (+50) SLO will become famous soon enough. (+50) SLO will become famous soon enough. (+50) SLO will become famous soon enough. (+50) SLO will become famous soon enough. (+50) SLO will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Your estimate of over 2000 calories burned for slogging along at a 9 minute mile pace for 13 miles in 2 hours is way off. I'd guess that it's closer to 1000 than 2000. 2000/120 minutes = 16.7 cal/min which is an extremely high rate for someone doing HIIT. You're jogging around for 2 hours and I bet you're lucky to even hit half that rate. Don't believe me? Read this:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...ss-part-1.html

I hope you're not relying on this supposed burn to create your deficicit or are eating more to avoid being in what you think may be too big of one.
    3 year transformation: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147790393

Are you fat because you're lazy or are you lazy because you're fat?

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

Are you marathon training by chance?
    I'm not training for anything specific, altho I am running my first half marathon next month. I've just been building my base and running for overall fitness.

Originally Posted by SLO View Post
    Your estimate of over 2000 calories burned for slogging along at a 9 minute mile pace for 13 miles in 2 hours is way off. I'd guess that it's closer to 1000 than 2000. 2000/120 minutes = 16.7 cal/min which is an extremely high rate for someone doing HIIT. You're jogging around for 2 hours and I bet you're lucky to even hit half that rate. Don't believe me? Read this:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...ss-part-1.html

I hope you're not relying on this supposed burn to create your deficicit or are eating more to avoid being in what you think may be too big of one.
    As mentioned above, I'm running for overall fitness, not just for the deficit. I've dropped 77lbs in the last eight months by controlling my diet. The 2k was just an estimate based off of several calculations I've seen, I don't know that any of them are accurate.
    -Dave

Ravock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ravock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ravock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ravock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ravock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ravock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ravock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ravock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ravock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ravock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ravock is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I would typically estimate that you can burn 100 calories per mile while running. Most people probably burn a little more depending on pace, but better to be a little conservative in my opinion. For people who have the time and drive to run, it really can't be beat for supplementing a weight loss goal.

And I don't know about you guys, but lifting weights makes me way more hungry compared to running. Either way, you have to dial in your diet and have some discipline.

Rollen86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rollen86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rollen86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rollen86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rollen86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rollen86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rollen86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rollen86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rollen86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rollen86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rollen86 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I looked into the calories per mile question not to long ago. The study produced the formula:

Jogging (5.0 MPH or greater speed)
    Calories Burned per Mile = Body Weight (lbs) * .75 calories
    Net Calories Burned Per Mile = Body Weight (lbs) * .63 calories
    *I don't remember the walking, but it was lower since you consume less oxygen while walking versus jogging.

So D3D, at 193 lbs * .75 = 144.75 calories per mile (or 121.59 calories per mile for your Net Calorie Burn from running)
    Feb 1st: 221.0 lbs
    Mar 1st: 218.6 lbs
    Apr 1st:
    May 1st:

Insanity Workout Daily Updates:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159946831

Originally Posted by Rollen86 View Post
    I looked into the calories per mile question not to long ago. The study produced the formula:

Jogging (5.0 MPH or greater speed)
    Calories Burned per Mile = Body Weight (lbs) * .75 calories
    Net Calories Burned Per Mile = Body Weight (lbs) * .63 calories
    *I don't remember the walking, but it was lower since you consume less oxygen while walking versus jogging.

So D3D, at 193 lbs * .75 = 144.75 calories per mile (or 121.59 calories per mile for your Net Calorie Burn from running)
    That is about right. Less than 150 cals a mile. That is like a cup of yogurt. That is why so many people fail at losing weight. Among all the nutritional mistakes they make...they think running = skinny. Nice post by the way. If you had something to site for a reference I would have repped you. Fix it for reps.
    Last edited by ScaleAndSteel; 08-19-2012 at 07:53 PM.

krewzor is not very well liked. (-100) krewzor is not very well liked. (-100) krewzor is not very well liked. (-100) krewzor is not very well liked. (-100) krewzor is not very well liked. (-100) krewzor is not very well liked. (-100) krewzor is not very well liked. (-100) krewzor is not very well liked. (-100) krewzor is not very well liked. (-100) krewzor is not very well liked. (-100) krewzor is not very well liked. (-100)
    If the diet is not in check, no amount of exercise will help weight loss.
    Currently cutting. Started 8/26/2012. Beginning weight: about 230. Starting cal intake: about 4,200.

(in the red because of a stupid argument over dead lifts, nothing else)

SLO will become famous soon enough. (+50) SLO will become famous soon enough. (+50) SLO will become famous soon enough. (+50) SLO will become famous soon enough. (+50) SLO will become famous soon enough. (+50) SLO will become famous soon enough. (+50) SLO will become famous soon enough. (+50) SLO will become famous soon enough. (+50) SLO will become famous soon enough. (+50) SLO will become famous soon enough. (+50) SLO will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    That is about right. Less than 150 cals a mile. That is like a cup of yogurt. That is why so many people fail at losing weight. Among all the nutrional mistakes they make...they think running = skinny. Nice post by the way. If you had something to site for a reference I would have repped you. Fix it for reps.
    I still think that estimate is way high for a 9 minute mile pace.

When I was running a lot about 18 months ago I'd run a 5 mile loop in between 31 and 32 minutes. I ran a 10k in 39:36, a 6:23 mile pace. I was wearing a Bodybugg/Gowearfit for about a year and it was about 13 calories per minute during the runs. I was between 155 and 160 lbs. In my experience I think the Bodybugg was OVERESTIMATING my TDEE and I ended up doing more of a recomp than a cut at the time because of it.

And for me cardio type activity blunts hunger (at least temporarily) for me which is a big plus. I swim several times per week and play a ridiculous amount of basketball.
    3 year transformation: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147790393

Are you fat because you're lazy or are you lazy because you're fat?

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.