Closed Thread
Page 278 of 333 FirstFirst ... 178 228 268 276 277 278 279 280 288 328 ... LastLast
Results 8,311 to 8,340 of 9967
    onstitu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am getting started and would love to hear what ab routines everyone is doing on your off days...

I was thinking it would be a great time to utilize my AB Ripper X DVD from p90x...

imiggs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi, I've read the workout and I understand how it works. I have my RMs now and I'm ready to start the first week tomorrow. What I'm worried about though is that my recovery might be an issue since I'm a university athlete and most of the drills we do focus on calves, quads, lower back, glutes and hamstrings. Basically all the parts(not sure) that calf raises, squats and SLDLs hit. I also think that it might lead to overtraining. So I thought that I'd just skip those exercises and focus on the rest. I'm curious though as to whether the workout will still be effective if I do skip the SLDLs, calf raises and squats?

Thanks!

Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by imiggs View Post
    Hi, I've read the workout and I understand how it works. I have my RMs now and I'm ready to start the first week tomorrow. What I'm worried about though is that my recovery might be an issue since I'm a university athlete and most of the drills we do focus on calves, quads, lower back, glutes and hamstrings. Basically all the parts(not sure) that calf raises, squats and SLDLs hit. I also think that it might lead to overtraining. So I thought that I'd just skip those exercises and focus on the rest. I'm curious though as to whether the workout will still be effective if I do skip the SLDLs, calf raises and squats?

Thanks!
    If you are an university athlete then you should be focusing on the routine that is provided for your sport.

raxorsharp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Is this routine good for lower back health?? On this very site (/fun/catback.htm) Big Cat writes about how SLDL and bent over barbell rows are pretty dangerous for the lower back... he even goes on to say that a lifting belt MUST be used for these 2 exercise no matter how little weight or how few reps one does. I dont use a belt, and my weights are extremely low, is it necessary for me to start using one now? Can these exercises be substituted for anything else... like maybe a leg curl instead of SLDLs or something like that??

Jimmer74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimmer74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimmer74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimmer74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimmer74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimmer74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimmer74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimmer74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimmer74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimmer74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimmer74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by raxorsharp View Post
    Is this routine good for lower back health?? On this very site (/fun/catback.htm) Big Cat writes about how SLDL and bent over barbell rows are pretty dangerous for the lower back... he even goes on to say that a lifting belt MUST be used for these 2 exercise no matter how little weight or how few reps one does. I dont use a belt, and my weights are extremely low, is it necessary for me to start using one now? Can these exercises be substituted for anything else... like maybe a leg curl instead of SLDLs or something like that??
    Do you have specific lower back issue you have to work around? It's always acceptable to substitute in exercises if you have a pre-existing condition and an exercise will exacerbate it.

However, if you have a healthy lower back, start out with modest weights and progress at a sensible pace with good form, then you'll probably end up strengthening your lower back and preventing lower-back injuries. Pre-hab if you will.....

I reckon there's a lot of heroes who start out with a weight they can't manage with clean form, get sloppy with it and end up tweaking something. However, you could apply this to any lift really. Too heavy a bench with crappy form? Welcome to shoulder impingement! Too heavy on the squat with crappy form/weak core engagement? Welcome to lower back issues! Etc, etc.....

At the end of the day, a bad workman blames his tools. Learn the requisite skills to use the tools properly and you'll end up making a beautiful cabinet..... swing a hammer around like a fool and you'll probably squash your thumb or take someone's eye out!

The responsibility for learning to use the tools correctly lies with you (and who's to say that you won't injury yourself by doing a substitute exercise with bad form as well?). This is without the consideration that you may end up making a poor exercise substitution choice that leaves out a part of the chain worked by the original lift and leads to imbalances (which in turn will probably express themselves as injuries further down the line).

My advice is: no existing injuries? Then do the program as written, because it's well balanced and will develop a more injury resistant physique in the long run (with the caveat that you must do the exercises correctly in terms of loading and form). Existing injury? Then try to find a sensible substitution that works the same kinetic chain without stressing or flaring it up. You may have to find more than one exercise to substitute depending on the nature of the injury and the lift you need to replace.

Anyway, I'm procrastinating because I've gotta do my C3W4 Heavy day next..... time to put the keyboard down and pick the Iron up!

I don't have any pre-existing condition as such i just got scared reading Big Cat's articles... then again what you said makes sense so I think ill go on ahead with the original routine. At what weights of Bent Over Rows and SLDLs do you suggest getting a lifting belt for?? Can i manage without a belt for the time being... my lifts are very low and i dont really think it'll be an issue

HYMENATOR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYMENATOR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYMENATOR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYMENATOR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYMENATOR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYMENATOR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYMENATOR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYMENATOR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYMENATOR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYMENATOR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYMENATOR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I don't have any pre-existing condition as such i just got scared reading Big Cat's articles... then again what you said makes sense so I think ill go on ahead with the original routine. At what weights of Bent Over Rows and SLDLs do you suggest getting a lifting belt for?? Can i manage without a belt for the time being... my lifts are very low and i dont really think it'll be an issue
    If you stop reading Big Cat's articles you should be fine.

davidphillips33 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) davidphillips33 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) davidphillips33 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) davidphillips33 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) davidphillips33 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) davidphillips33 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) davidphillips33 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) davidphillips33 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) davidphillips33 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) davidphillips33 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) davidphillips33 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by davidphillips33 View Post
    QUESTION ON THE SQUAT

for the newbs, is it better to do low bar, wider stance, parallel type OR high bar, narrower stance, more vertical torso, ATG type?

I ask because I have been working on both types. I like the idea of ATG (i dunno why, just do) but I read that one can lift more weight using the low bar method resulting in quicker strength gains. Please discuss.
    anyone?

Torero20 is just really nice. (+1000) Torero20 is just really nice. (+1000) Torero20 is just really nice. (+1000) Torero20 is just really nice. (+1000) Torero20 is just really nice. (+1000) Torero20 is just really nice. (+1000) Torero20 is just really nice. (+1000) Torero20 is just really nice. (+1000) Torero20 is just really nice. (+1000) Torero20 is just really nice. (+1000) Torero20 is just really nice. (+1000)

Thumbs up

A few newb questions:

1) I'm about to finish my 3rd cycle in two weeks and wanted to add an exercise. I want to hit my chest more since that's where I feel I'm lacking the most. What kind of exercises do you guys recommend? Also, do I just add it to the end, after the calf raises, or would it be more beneficial to place it somewhere else in the workout?

2a) I'm six feet tall and weigh 168. I was about 164 when I started this. Obviously, I'm on the skinny side. I began taking protein, creatine, fish oil, and multi-vitamins about two weeks ago. I really want to be weighing north of 185 but I think I'm an ectomorph(sp?) and have a really hard time eating the necessary calories with food throughout the day. Would you guys recommend mass gainers or what are your suggestions?

2b) While I really want to gain weight, I also want to do cardio and try to get rid of this skinny guy belly that I'm carrying around. Today I jog/walked 3 miles. I plan on jogging on my off days and would like to work my way up to jogging 5 miles in a little over an hour. Does this just mean that I have to really up my calorie intake to compensate? How do I deal with this damn belly??

3) Sometimes when I'm benching, as the bar is nearing my chest, I feel a slight "clicking" in my right shoulder. I used to pitch in a Sunday league but haven't lately. Any idea what this could be? I'd hate to have an injury stall my progress. Any preventative measures you guys can recommend?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Torero20; 04-22-2013 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Added more questions.

aja5040 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aja5040 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aja5040 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aja5040 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aja5040 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aja5040 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aja5040 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aja5040 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aja5040 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aja5040 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aja5040 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by robosphere View Post
    Nope. Continue on through the cycle. If you get to week 5, whatever lifts you pass you add 10%. Whichever ones you don't pass you repeat that same weight on the next cycle.
    Glad I caught this.

I faild my cycle 2 test day last week (just short on bench press and a few reps short on overhead press). I thought I had to do the cycle over again keeping the same weights for everything, but I just keep the weights the same for the bench press and overhead press right? Add 10% to everything else? That makes a lot more sense.

Need to recalculate my weights before the gym today

DeltaCharlie75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeltaCharlie75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeltaCharlie75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeltaCharlie75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeltaCharlie75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeltaCharlie75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeltaCharlie75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeltaCharlie75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeltaCharlie75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeltaCharlie75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeltaCharlie75 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by davidphillips33 View Post
    anyone?
    What ever one you are most comfortable with.
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Is the highlighted part in any way accurate?

Originally Posted by Torero20 View Post
    A few newb questions:

1) I'm about to finish my 3rd cycle in two weeks and wanted to add an exercise. I want to hit my chest more since that's where I feel I'm lacking the most. What kind of exercises do you guys recommend? Also, do I just add it to the end, after the calf raises, or would it be more beneficial to place it somewhere else in the workout?

2) I'm six feet tall and weigh 168. I was about 164 when I started this. Obviously, I'm on the skinny side. I began taking protein, creatine, fish oil, and multi-vitamins about two weeks ago. I really want to be weighing north of 185 but I think I'm an ectomorph(sp?) and have a really hard time eating the necessary calories with food throughout the day. Would you guys recommend mass gainers or what are your suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
    Try adding a little more to each meal - that's what I did and now I'm eating my bulking requirement (2,600 calories) with ease - I could easily eat more. And drink milk as well; drinking calories is much easier than eating them and there are loads of ways to do it, not just with milk. At first it might feel a bit like you're forcing yourself to eat, that's how it was for me, but the feeling passes before too long.

11 rep heavy day for me today - I'm almost certain I'm going to fail OHP next week, and SLDL might be joining it as well: my grip kept giving out towards the ninth or tenth rep. Everything else is looking good - I even noticed a bit of a quad trying to appear in the mirror at the gym today.
    Cut done with - basically unsuccessful first bulk as I did put on a lot of fat to go with the little muscle I added. I know what I did wrong first time round and won't be repeating it. Looking forwards to being able to eat a few hundred more calories!! At least I know I can cut fat efficiently: went from 143lbs to 120lbs and from 35in to 29in waist.

makeitright will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitright will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitright will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitright will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitright will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitright will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitright will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitright will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitright will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitright will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitright will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by FitnessFan76 View Post
    11 rep heavy day for me today - I'm almost certain I'm going to fail OHP next week, and SLDL might be joining it as well: my grip kept giving out towards the ninth or tenth rep. Everything else is looking good - I even noticed a bit of a quad trying to appear in the mirror at the gym today.
    Same here. Good luck, dude!

And don't set yourself up for failure like that mentally! Gotta go in with a positive mindset. You'll crush 'em.

FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by makeitright View Post
    Same here. Good luck, dude!

And don't set yourself up for failure like that mentally! Gotta go in with a positive mindset. You'll crush 'em.
    Yeah, you're probably right - different day and all that. I don't really mind either way, I'm just enjoying going to the gym and pitting myself against those weights!
    Cut done with - basically unsuccessful first bulk as I did put on a lot of fat to go with the little muscle I added. I know what I did wrong first time round and won't be repeating it. Looking forwards to being able to eat a few hundred more calories!! At least I know I can cut fat efficiently: went from 143lbs to 120lbs and from 35in to 29in waist.

None would be happier than I if it was complete BS, i just wanted to check with you guys if what that guy said was legit or not

None would be happier than I if it was complete BS, i just wanted to check with you guys if what that guy said was legit or not
    I have no idea; I would like to have it clarified as well.

imiggs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Vaylor View Post
    If you are an university athlete then you should be focusing on the routine that is provided for your sport.
    The thing is, I don't get much work done for my upper body with the drills the coaches provide(fencing). That's why I was curious whether the workout would still be as effective if I just skip all the lower body exercises. Thanks!

rbernal210 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I recently fixed my diet, counting calories and macros, so I thought it's about time I fix my gym routine. A couple of questions is this routine good for someone on a cut? Question on the exercises can I do seated overhead press instead of standing, ez curl instead of barbell, and is a standing calf machine ok?

svenhof has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    C1W5 heavy day done. Failed on the bench press although wasn't expecting this. The rest went quite well.

What do you guys consider a fail on the barbell row? Does it mean not getting the bar high enough? (above waist? Against lower chest?)

A question about the barbell row - is it OK to alternate pulling to stomach and to chest in order to hit more muscles during the same set, or is it best to stick to one method?

HY314 is a name known to all. (+5000) HY314 is a name known to all. (+5000) HY314 is a name known to all. (+5000) HY314 is a name known to all. (+5000) HY314 is a name known to all. (+5000) HY314 is a name known to all. (+5000) HY314 is a name known to all. (+5000) HY314 is a name known to all. (+5000) HY314 is a name known to all. (+5000) HY314 is a name known to all. (+5000) HY314 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by svenhof View Post
    C1W5 heavy day done. Failed on the bench press although wasn't expecting this. The rest went quite well.

What do you guys consider a fail on the barbell row? Does it mean not getting the bar high enough? (above waist? Against lower chest?)
    Where you raise the bar to depends on the variation you're doing and also how much you are bent over. I bend to 50-55 degrees and raise the bar to my bellybutton.
    My Reviews and Logs: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=152226283

HY314 is a name known to all. (+5000) HY314 is a name known to all. (+5000) HY314 is a name known to all. (+5000) HY314 is a name known to all. (+5000) HY314 is a name known to all. (+5000) HY314 is a name known to all. (+5000) HY314 is a name known to all. (+5000) HY314 is a name known to all. (+5000) HY314 is a name known to all. (+5000) HY314 is a name known to all. (+5000) HY314 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Try adding a little more to each meal - that's what I did and now I'm eating my bulking requirement (2,600 calories) with ease - I could easily eat more. And drink milk as well; drinking calories is much easier than eating them and there are loads of ways to do it, not just with milk. At first it might feel a bit like you're forcing yourself to eat, that's how it was for me, but the feeling passes before too long.

I have no idea; I would like to have it clarified as well.
    I don't think that business about a lifting belt being absolutely necessary is true at all. Lift only as much as you can without sacrificing form and you should be fine.

Personal Best: 18 miles runningregime's Avatar
    runningregime has a spectacular aura about. (+250) runningregime has a spectacular aura about. (+250) runningregime has a spectacular aura about. (+250) runningregime has a spectacular aura about. (+250) runningregime has a spectacular aura about. (+250) runningregime has a spectacular aura about. (+250) runningregime has a spectacular aura about. (+250) runningregime has a spectacular aura about. (+250) runningregime has a spectacular aura about. (+250) runningregime has a spectacular aura about. (+250) runningregime has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I've been slacking since beginning of April. Had exams, cycle 3 started but left it after first heavy day. Didn't workout and didn't consume a proper diet either. Starting on 23rd April now, cycle 3 first heavy day. Back on my diet and regimen. NO SLACKING NOW!
    It's just bodybuilding... y u heff to be mad?

Bulking on Candito Linear Program (Strength/Hypertrophy).

1RM Deadlift - 130kg
    5RM Squat - 110kg
    5RM Bench - 90kg (with spot)

makeitright will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitright will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitright will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitright will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitright will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitright will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitright will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitright will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitright will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitright will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitright will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Had my first failure today on upright rows . Got 10 reps and about half of the 11th. It's my first cycle adding them in so I might have started a little heavy. Oh well, hopefully test day next week I'll be able to knock out 12 reps. The good thing is, I think they've helped with curls slightly.

Originally Posted by makeitright View Post
    Had my first failure today on upright rows . Got 10 reps and about half of the 11th. It's my first cycle adding them in so I might have started a little heavy. Oh well, hopefully test day next week I'll be able to knock out 12 reps. The good thing is, I think they've helped with curls slightly.
    You're doing curls and upright rows?

blindspot13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blindspot13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blindspot13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blindspot13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blindspot13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blindspot13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blindspot13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blindspot13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blindspot13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blindspot13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blindspot13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Nailed Cycle 2 test day. Got everything, included bench which I failed the first cycle. Feelsgoodman.jpg, also been on 1k deficit this whole time so that feels even better, down almost 20lbs and strength still increasing, feelsgoodman2.jpg.

GL to everyone and on to cycle 3!
    x

AustynS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AustynS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey guys I was wondering what you guys think about my pre and post workout snacks.
    Pre workout
    1scoop whey
    1/2 cup oats
    1 tbs natural peanut butter

Post workout
    1 scoop whey
    1 cup rice milk
    Trying to figure out to take a banana pre or post or not at all
    I'm working out tonight so thanks for any fast replies

jampot1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jampot1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jampot1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jampot1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jampot1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jampot1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jampot1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jampot1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jampot1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jampot1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jampot1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by AustynS View Post
    Hey guys I was wondering what you guys think about my pre and post workout snacks.
    Pre workout
    1scoop whey
    1/2 cup oats
    1 tbs natural peanut butter

Post workout
    1 scoop whey
    1 cup rice milk
    Trying to figure out to take a banana pre or post or not at all
    I'm working out tonight so thanks for any fast replies
    Looks unappealing. Head over to the Nutrition forum; there are some highly informative sticky threads that you should read

AustynS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AustynS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jampot1 View Post
    Looks unappealing. Head over to the Nutrition forum; there are some highly informative sticky threads that you should read
    Thanks yeah I just was looking at them after I posted this

Originally Posted by HY314 View Post
    You're doing curls and upright rows?
    Yes sir. I just added them into my 4th cycle. Doing upright rows in place of curls, and moved curls to the end after calf raises.

Closed Thread
Page 278 of 333 FirstFirst ... 178 228 268 276 277 278 279 280 288 328 ... LastLast