Closed Thread
Page 179 of 333 FirstFirst ... 79 129 169 177 178 179 180 181 189 229 279 ... LastLast
Results 5,341 to 5,370 of 9967
    Quanticks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Quanticks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Quanticks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Quanticks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Quanticks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Quanticks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Quanticks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Quanticks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Quanticks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Quanticks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Quanticks has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Should you be feeling soreness after every work out?

When I first started, I was so sore from squats and deadlifts, I could barely walk (felt amazing because I felt like I was doing it right). 2 weeks later and I really dont feel anything (even after the heavy days). I may be using to little weight on some exercises as I feel like I could probably do 2-3 more after my target rep count.

Going to be starting week 3 next week (10 reps). Should I just continue or should I retest my 10 rep max?

brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by 666pluto View Post
    got my home equipment this week & today I worked out my starting weights: bench press 5Kg, squat 20Kg, Bent-Over Rows 10Kg, Overhead Barbell Presses 2.5Kg, Stiff-Legged Deadlifts 10Kg, Barbell Curls 5Kg, Calf Raises body weight. extra 10Kg for all exercises of the bar itself...

I have to say, as a first time weight lifter in general, after months of readings & videos tutorials, still I feel like I'm doing some of the exercises wrong! I'm talking mainly on squats, Bent-Over Rows, Stiff-Legged Deadlifts! Rest of them I'm managing OK & will correct my technique during first week or two, but the 3 exercises i mentioned just seems too complicated!
    will start on Monday, until then I think I will practice a bit only with the bar, or even something lighter like a broom so I won't over do it...

on the side note, this entire Idea got me overlook my diet completely, which now stand on 2800 calories of mostly healthy food (just a bit of fries). so if i keep this up, hopefully i Won't look like I'm sick anymore from being so skinny!
    Get a trainer at your Gym to show you, or post a video of you doing them so people can see? And EAT EAT EAT!

Originally Posted by HY314 View Post
    Thanks again man. I'm definitely going to use keep those articles in mind tomorrow when I start C1W2.

I'm having a similar problem with SLDL. I feel nothing in my hamstrings and everything in my lower back. I've had lower back flexibility issues in the past, so maybe that's what's doing it? I can't bend to 90degrees (like the guy does in the bb form video) without feeling like I'm going to injure myself.
    Edited from 0 degrees to 90 degrees, oops!

back to Calf Raises, are seated Calf Raises OK? I can't post links yet, so will try to describe the one I'm referring to:
    sitting on a bench, doing one leg at a time, placing the foot on 2 books or something similar for height, while placing plates a bit above the knee. then normally just bend the foot up & down.
    sounds ok? I don't want to do standing version...

if i didn't describe it right, you can search in youtube "youtube Evilcyber Seated Calf Raise"
    Do standing (straight leg), or calf raises on a leg press machine if you hate standing as I do. Seated(bent leg) primarily work the "main" muscle as a secondary to standing(straight leg) which works the main muscle first and the other secondary.
    If abs are made in the kitchen how come hardly any women have them?

steelmonkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) steelmonkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) steelmonkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) steelmonkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) steelmonkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) steelmonkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) steelmonkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) steelmonkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) steelmonkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) steelmonkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) steelmonkey will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Ok guys, i would like to get your input on what you think I should do.

I havent lifted for 2 weeks now due to crook elbows which has cleared up now(earlier this week) and I decided to give it the rest of this week off as well.

I was on Cycle 5 week 3 before i stopped. Im thinking about going back to restart cycle 5. Will 2 weeks off have affected strength much ? Will it be fine to start again at cycle 5 weights or should i drop the weights back and ease back into it ?

666pluto is on a distinguished road. (+10) 666pluto is on a distinguished road. (+10) 666pluto is on a distinguished road. (+10) 666pluto is on a distinguished road. (+10) 666pluto is on a distinguished road. (+10) 666pluto is on a distinguished road. (+10) 666pluto is on a distinguished road. (+10) 666pluto is on a distinguished road. (+10) 666pluto is on a distinguished road. (+10) 666pluto is on a distinguished road. (+10) 666pluto is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by brake View Post
    Do standing (straight leg), or calf raises on a leg press machine if you hate standing as I do. Seated(bent leg) primarily work the "main" muscle as a secondary to standing(straight leg) which works the main muscle first and the other secondary.
    I'm working out at home, don't have a leg press machine.
    My problem with standing calf raises is the step i need to stand on, I don't find anyway of making this safe at my house!
    I googled it and watched YouTube videos, some people do this standing but without any step or any thing similar below the foot, just standing straight on the floor with plates bar on back. is this enough? if so, then this exercise is perfect...

brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by steelmonkey View Post

I havent lifted for 2 weeks now due to crook elbows which has cleared up now(earlier this week) and I decided to give it the rest of this week off as well.

I was on Cycle 5 week 3 before i stopped. Im thinking about going back to restart cycle 5. Will 2 weeks off have affected strength much ? Will it be fine to start again at cycle 5 weights or should i drop the weights back and ease back into it ?
    Damn man that sucks. Fellow crook elbow brah here too!

Good decision resting extra than needed. I had around 13 days off recently, lost around 2 kilos and about 8% off my lifts Good luck!

I'm working out at home, don't have a leg press machine.
    My problem with standing calf raises is the step i need to stand on, I don't find anyway of making this safe at my house!
    I googled it and watched YouTube videos, some people do this standing but without any step or any thing similar below the foot, just standing straight on the floor with plates bar on back. is this enough? if so, then this exercise is perfect...
    I guess you could, I don't like it. I prefer a step/raise of some sort to get a nice stretch. You could use a normal step (from stairs), a brick, chunk of wood? Improvise....

YOu're just using body weight though right? you could pretty much use anything at all for now, until you start adding weight then you'd need something sturdier
    If abs are made in the kitchen how come hardly any women have them?

HY314 is a name known to all. (+5000) HY314 is a name known to all. (+5000) HY314 is a name known to all. (+5000) HY314 is a name known to all. (+5000) HY314 is a name known to all. (+5000) HY314 is a name known to all. (+5000) HY314 is a name known to all. (+5000) HY314 is a name known to all. (+5000) HY314 is a name known to all. (+5000) HY314 is a name known to all. (+5000) HY314 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Stev05 View Post
    You should be bringing the bar up as close to your nose as you possibly can without hitting it. Once it's past your head, your head should sort of push through the window made by your arms as you lock out. Your head should return to the natural position once the bar begins coming down again. This is the most efficient way to press.

Look for Rippetoe's press video on YouTube.
    So my head should be moving forward as I lock out?

666pluto is on a distinguished road. (+10) 666pluto is on a distinguished road. (+10) 666pluto is on a distinguished road. (+10) 666pluto is on a distinguished road. (+10) 666pluto is on a distinguished road. (+10) 666pluto is on a distinguished road. (+10) 666pluto is on a distinguished road. (+10) 666pluto is on a distinguished road. (+10) 666pluto is on a distinguished road. (+10) 666pluto is on a distinguished road. (+10) 666pluto is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by brake View Post
    I guess you could, I don't like it. I prefer a step/raise of some sort to get a nice stretch. You could use a normal step (from stairs), a brick, chunk of wood? Improvise....

YOu're just using body weight though right? you could pretty much use anything at all for now, until you start adding weight then you'd need something sturdier
    it's body weight only since I'm doing this at the stairs, don't have enough space to hold the bar on my back with weights.
    I will try it with two bricks, i have some in the yard. thanks for the advice :-).

DeltaCharlie75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeltaCharlie75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeltaCharlie75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeltaCharlie75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeltaCharlie75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeltaCharlie75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeltaCharlie75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeltaCharlie75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeltaCharlie75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeltaCharlie75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeltaCharlie75 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    it's body weight only since I'm doing this at the stairs, don't have enough space to hold the bar on my back with weights.
    I will try it with two bricks, i have some in the yard. thanks for the advice :-).
    Get yourself a 2x4 piece of wood. Cut it into three equal parts and make an H shape with the wood. Screw the wood together with the horizontal of the H on top of the other two bits. Voila - one home made calf raise step for the price of a pint of beer.

IvyKun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by op456 View Post
    doms? what does it means? .. Ok I will try .. but what about OHP ? should I do it while I am setting or standing?
    doms = (wikipedia) Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS), also called muscle fever, is the pain and stiffness felt in muscles several hours to days after unaccustomed or strenuous exercise.

Standing OHP.

Stev05 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stev05 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stev05 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stev05 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stev05 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stev05 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stev05 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stev05 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stev05 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stev05 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stev05 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    So my head should be moving forward as I lock out?
    Watch this and do as he says:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJFjYyA40ss
    "He who makes a beast out of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."
    -Dr. Seuss

Stev05 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stev05 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stev05 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stev05 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stev05 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stev05 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stev05 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stev05 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stev05 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stev05 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stev05 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Quanticks View Post
    Should you be feeling soreness after every work out?

When I first started, I was so sore from squats and deadlifts, I could barely walk (felt amazing because I felt like I was doing it right). 2 weeks later and I really dont feel anything (even after the heavy days). I may be using to little weight on some exercises as I feel like I could probably do 2-3 more after my target rep count.

Going to be starting week 3 next week (10 reps). Should I just continue or should I retest my 10 rep max?
    No, you should not be feeling sore after every workout once you've been on a the program a couple weeks. You do not need DOMS or that soreness to be building muscle, so don't think that the program isn't working just because your muscles don't hurt.
    -Dr. Seuss

Originally Posted by steelmonkey View Post

I think you should be fine if it was only 2 weeks and you were still eating properly to just restart cycle 5. Since you were going into your 10 rep week, resetting back to the 8 rep first week is still a deload.
    -Dr. Seuss

Ali18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ali18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ali18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ali18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ali18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ali18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ali18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ali18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ali18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ali18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ali18 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Does the routine have to be done in order? I.e. squats first, bench press second etc, or is it fine to do it in whatever order (within reason of course, not starting off with curls or whatever)

Also, it says to do warm up sets of 1/4 then 1/2 of the work sets. However, what if your work sets are 40KG on bench press, half of which is 20kg (the bar alone). You can't get get a quarter of 40kg (10kg) when the bar alone is 20kg. Any idea what to do there?

Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Ali18 View Post
    Does the routine have to be done in order? I.e. squats first, bench press second etc, or is it fine to do it in whatever order (within reason of course, not starting off with curls or whatever)

Also, it says to do warm up sets of 1/4 then 1/2 of the work sets. However, what if your work sets are 40KG on bench press, half of which is 20kg (the bar alone). You can't get get a quarter of 40kg (10kg) when the bar alone is 20kg. Any idea what to do there?
    Yes it does have to be done in order. Also for the warm up sets, just use the bar if you can handle it.

WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by gdp1989 View Post
    Hey all. Just completed Cycle 2 Test day.
    Feeling awesome, I passed everything except OHP again. I'm really loving this program.
    If anyone's interested I'm keeping a workout log, see the link in my Sig.
    That's what happened with me too. OHP and curls seem to be the ones that I find most difficult. Although I actually managed my curls this time.

WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    It's easy to say that when you're not the guy benching so little anymore. I guess I just need to get over it. I'm starting school in August and I really hope I can throw some 45s on the bar by then.
    Dude, can I ask how old you are? I am 17 and only capable of benching 26kg (57lbs). I was surprised to find that a lot of the people in my school find this difficult! Everyone starts somewhere, do not think that the big, intimidating people in the gym were born like that. They all started from nothing, just like you; so instead look at them for motivation.

Originally Posted by Vaylor View Post
    Yes it does have to be done in order. Also for the warm up sets, just use the bar if you can handle it.
    The problem with that is; not everyone lifts 20kg+ for their work sets. My curl work set is only 17kg. I have to use dumbells as an alternative.

Originally Posted by jampot1 View Post
    I think I read on a post that the first 3 should be done in order (Squats, Bench, Rows) but the order of the next 4 wasn't important...
    Link to this post please? If you read the FAQ, it clearly says that it needs to be done in ORDER.

HY314 is a name known to all. (+5000) HY314 is a name known to all. (+5000) HY314 is a name known to all. (+5000) HY314 is a name known to all. (+5000) HY314 is a name known to all. (+5000) HY314 is a name known to all. (+5000) HY314 is a name known to all. (+5000) HY314 is a name known to all. (+5000) HY314 is a name known to all. (+5000) HY314 is a name known to all. (+5000) HY314 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Added more weight on C1W2D1. I know it's not recommended, but my lifts from week 1 were really light and I know beginners can sometimes get bigger gains faster.

Squat 95lb
    Bench 85lb
    BOR 95lb
    OHP 60lb
    SLDL 95lb
    Upright Row 40lb
    Calf Raises 50lb

caseyjohnson is not very helpful. (-500) caseyjohnson is not very helpful. (-500) caseyjohnson is not very helpful. (-500) caseyjohnson is not very helpful. (-500) caseyjohnson is not very helpful. (-500) caseyjohnson is not very helpful. (-500) caseyjohnson is not very helpful. (-500) caseyjohnson is not very helpful. (-500) caseyjohnson is not very helpful. (-500) caseyjohnson is not very helpful. (-500) caseyjohnson is not very helpful. (-500)
    I've been having a pain in my right knee for about a month from most likely incorrect form from squatting. I havent been doing any squats at all during this program. Is their other exercises I can do in replace of them?

d1mitroff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    nice!

Originally Posted by caseyjohnson View Post
    I've been having a pain in my right knee for about a month from most likely incorrect form from squatting. I havent been doing any squats at all during this program. Is their other exercises I can do in replace of them?
    You want to replace squats? You're joking right?

Sort your form out and then come back please.

Are your knees supposed to flare out a little when doing squats? Or should they point directly forward at all times?

Are your knees supposed to flare out a little when doing squats? Or should they point directly forward at all times?
    Your knees should face forward at all times. I reckon that your form is off or you are lifting more weight than you are capable of. The latter may be true as you did say earlier that you were worried about not lifting a lot compared to others.

Did you even watch any YouTube videos or Google for guides on squat form? It seems as if you just went into the gym and attempted them without knowing what you were doing.

nevergain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nevergain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nevergain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nevergain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nevergain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nevergain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nevergain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nevergain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nevergain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nevergain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nevergain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by WFKA View Post

The problem with that is; not everyone lifts 20kg+ for their work sets. My curl work set is only 17kg. I have to use dumbells as an alternative.
    Do you have a curl bar? They tend to weigh about 8kg which would make it much easier for you. And his response was in reference to warm ups which you don't need to do for curls.

Your knees should face forward at all times. I reckon that your form is off or you are lifting more weight than you are capable of. The latter may be true as you did say earlier that you were worried about not lifting a lot compared to others.

Did you even watch any YouTube videos or Google for guides on squat form? It seems as if you just went into the gym and attempted them without knowing what you were doing.
    My knees are straight. I wasn't sure if they should flare to help prevent injury or something. I did watch videos, lots of them, and I saw people doing it both ways.

Probably should chill brah.

closethetero has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) closethetero has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) closethetero has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) closethetero has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) closethetero has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Is it OK to rest 2 mins instead of 90 secs between sets for squat, bench, row, OHP, and SLDLs? I find that 90 secs is pushing it, at least on my lower body lifts because I'm used to 2 minute rest periods or is that an unacceptable change?

wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Your knees should face forward at all times. .
    I think you mean knees should track over feet all the time. I have a wider stance with toes pointed out at 30% and my knees track over my toes
    High bar you will have a more narrow stance toes pointed more forward than low bar with a wider stance and feet angled.
    This forum is great! Wish I found it years ago.....

wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    My knees are straight. I wasn't sure if they should flare to help prevent injury or something. I did watch videos, lots of them, and I saw people doing it both ways.

If you are doing low bar with a wider stance and feet pointed out at 30% or so then yes you knees should track over the toes and will be forced out the side which is fine and never have them buckle inwards.

Post a vid and we can give you some feedback.
    This forum is great! Wish I found it years ago.....

Originally Posted by wannagoheavy View Post
    If you are doing low bar with a wider stance and feet pointed out at 30% or so then yes you knees should track over the toes and will be forced out the side which is fine and never have them buckle inwards.

Post a vid and we can give you some feedback.
    Excellent, thanks. My knees do point in the same direction as my toes. I worked on form today during my warm up sets and watched my knees carefully.

Originally Posted by nevergain View Post
    Do you have a curl bar? They tend to weigh about 8kg which would make it much easier for you. And his response was in reference to warm ups which you don't need to do for curls.
    I know that you do not need to do warm ups for curls. I was simply using curls as an example because that is my only weight on heavy day that is below 20kg.

As wannagoheavy said, knees should track the toes. I probably shouldn't have left that out of my comment.

Excellent, thanks. My knees do point in the same direction as my toes. I worked on form today during my warm up sets and watched my knees carefully.
    You should not be "watching" your knees. Always have your chest sticking out and head facing up. Looking down may cause you to lose balance and fall over.

Closed Thread
Page 179 of 333 FirstFirst ... 79 129 169 177 178 179 180 181 189 229 279 ... LastLast