JoshHaddad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoshHaddad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoshHaddad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoshHaddad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoshHaddad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoshHaddad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoshHaddad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoshHaddad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoshHaddad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoshHaddad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoshHaddad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question BB Curl vs. EZ Bar Curl?

I'm in love with the EZ Bar Curl, it is by far my favorite bicep excercise. I've been reading a lot of bodybuilder's workout programs and I've been noticing that for biceps they do Barbell Curls. I was wondering if there is an advantage of doing barbell curls over an EZ Bar Curl. Thanks for reading and answering!

ChairManMao82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChairManMao82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChairManMao82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChairManMao82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChairManMao82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChairManMao82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChairManMao82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChairManMao82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChairManMao82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChairManMao82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChairManMao82 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by JoshHaddad View Post
    I'm in love with the EZ Bar Curl, it is by far my favorite bicep excercise. I've been reading a lot of bodybuilder's workout programs and I've been noticing that for biceps they do Barbell Curls. I was wondering if there is an advantage of doing barbell curls over an EZ Bar Curl. Thanks for reading and answering!
    Firstly, it doesn't hurt to use both forms of the exercise with the ez bar and the bb. a lot of people use the bb because it allows you to preform wide grip and narrow grip curls more efficiently, whereas ez bar really only uses 1 grip type for biceps because of the way the bar is curved. it all depends on which head of the biceps you want to work out. BB curls work both heads depending on the grip you use.

keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Not much between them to be honest.

You'll be able to use more weight with the EZ bar because your brachioradialis is in a stronger position.

You won't be able to use as much weight with a straight bar but there will be a bit more emphasis on your biceps.

Just pick your favourate whether you use a EZ bar or straight bar won't make any difference in the grand scheme of things.

brent89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brent89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brent89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brent89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brent89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brent89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brent89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brent89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brent89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brent89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brent89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Biceps make the elbow close (bicep curl movement), they make the arm raise up slightly, and they help make the forearm twist. However twistIng also uses muscles in the forearm and raising the arm up (like a front raise with palm up) uses other muscles too. So to fully isolate the bicep the best way technically is to have palms fully up like a straight bar bicep curl. That is the most pure biceps you can get. The EZ curl bars have the wrist twisted a little which adds a lot of forearm muscles into it and a bit less biceps. In the end it's the same as any muscle which is hit it in as many angles as possible. EZ bar for as long as you want, switch it up to straight bar when you feel like, do some dumbell curls to get a better twist in, etc. Nothing is really better than the other just depends what you are trying to focus on.
    www.teamshmo.com -------- I know you wanna know what it's about

www.teamshmo.com/store --------- CHECK OUT MY FAWKING STORE! CAR BRAHS!!!

Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Rippettoe argues that the ez bar curl is less effective because the bicep can't fully contract for lack of wrist pronation. Ymmv

Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Straight-bar curls feel completely unnatural and causes pain in my forearms/wrists.

I don't notice any appreciable difference in the amount of weight I can lift between them, maybe like 1 or 2 reps at the same weight.

For me, EZ curls or DBs are the way to go, no question!

scubahsteve is on a distinguished road. (+10) scubahsteve is on a distinguished road. (+10) scubahsteve is on a distinguished road. (+10) scubahsteve is on a distinguished road. (+10) scubahsteve is on a distinguished road. (+10) scubahsteve is on a distinguished road. (+10) scubahsteve is on a distinguished road. (+10) scubahsteve is on a distinguished road. (+10) scubahsteve is on a distinguished road. (+10) scubahsteve is on a distinguished road. (+10) scubahsteve is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I get the same pain in my wrist about 2/3rds the way using a BB. Is there a different grip to use that would alleviate this?

k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I do both during my arm workouts

I like the straight bar better for biceps and try to keep as loose as of a grip as possible (within reason/safety) on the bar to keep the stress off my forearms and more onto my biceps. Unless I'm going heavy (80% or above my 10 rm), I usually let my thumbs ride the bar (parrallel) instead of locking them into full grip. If I grip the bar hard, my forearms will play much more into the movement and take some tension off of the biceps. I get a better bicep contraction (and less wrist issues) with the straight bar when I am not squeezing/gripping the bar as hard as possible. I usually take a wider grip with these. 8-15 rep range.

I like the EZ bar and SuperCurl Bars for incorporating the Brachialis and Forearms into the movement and go ass heavy as I can while keeping good form within the 8-12 range. I usually take a narrower grip with these (elbows slightly flared).

YeahImMad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) YeahImMad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) YeahImMad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) YeahImMad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) YeahImMad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) YeahImMad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) YeahImMad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) YeahImMad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) YeahImMad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) YeahImMad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) YeahImMad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I had wrist discomfort with straight bb so started using ez bar and its a lot more comfortable on the wrists

flatiron will become famous soon enough. (+50) flatiron will become famous soon enough. (+50) flatiron will become famous soon enough. (+50) flatiron will become famous soon enough. (+50) flatiron will become famous soon enough. (+50) flatiron will become famous soon enough. (+50) flatiron will become famous soon enough. (+50) flatiron will become famous soon enough. (+50) flatiron will become famous soon enough. (+50) flatiron will become famous soon enough. (+50) flatiron will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by scubahsteve View Post
    I get the same pain in my wrist about 2/3rds the way using a BB. Is there a different grip to use that would alleviate this?
    Try squeezing the bar as hard as you can, like you are trying to crush it into powder. Eliminated my wrist pain doing BB curls.
    I am not female.
    My journal - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146334033

vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I like the tension on my wrists/forearms during BB curls. Harder to get as tight on EZ Curl.

JoshHaddad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoshHaddad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoshHaddad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoshHaddad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoshHaddad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoshHaddad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoshHaddad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoshHaddad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoshHaddad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoshHaddad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoshHaddad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ChairManMao82 View Post
    Firstly, it doesn't hurt to use both forms of the exercise with the ez bar and the bb. a lot of people use the bb because it allows you to preform wide grip and narrow grip curls more efficiently, whereas ez bar really only uses 1 grip type for biceps because of the way the bar is curved. it all depends on which head of the biceps you want to work out. BB curls work both heads depending on the grip you use.
    Thanks a lot! this helps

Originally Posted by Rasputin4 View Post
    Straight-bar curls feel completely unnatural and causes pain in my forearms/wrists.

I don't notice any appreciable difference in the amount of weight I can lift between them, maybe like 1 or 2 reps at the same weight.

For me, EZ curls or DBs are the way to go, no question!
    haha i know i feel the same way!
    "You don’t have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great."
    "The product of struggle is strength."
    "Pain is weakness leaving the body."
    "Dont wish it were easier, wish you were better."