srsapples has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) srsapples has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) srsapples has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) srsapples has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) srsapples has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) srsapples has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) srsapples has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) srsapples has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) srsapples has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) srsapples has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) srsapples has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

another 'help my squat' thread

For some reason, my knees always end up infront of my feet during squats. I never really noticed this until I took a video, and I wish I did a long time ago.

Squatting far back like most people do just seems super awkward to me. Any pointers? I know this isnt ATG but a few weeks ago I pulled something in my hip (I think my sartorious?) and it seems to act up the deeper I go. Doing body squats without a bar seem to give me good results as far as knee-foot placement go, but after adding the bar it just doesn't seem like I move that way.

thanks. sorry for chick walking infront
    lift heavy
    acquire aesthetics

Lifting to Avoid COVID-19 PeterGibbons316's Avatar
    PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Are you doing low-bar or high bar squats? Why are you squatting, what are you trying to get out of it?

You aren't going deep enough. Hip crease needs to be below the top of your knee, you aren't even close. Hard to tell, but you may need to widen your stance to hit depth - make sure your knees are still tracking over your toes. Knees going past the toes doesn't mean your squat is bad - especially if you are squatting high-bar. Break at the hips first and sit back (moreso if you are doing low-bar squats), you are breaking at the knees first and kind of plopping straight down.
    My Journal (RIP 05/11 - 09/13):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134256491

DIY Plyo Boxes:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151765733

tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by PeterGibbons316 View Post
    Are you doing low-bar or high bar squats? Why are you squatting, what are you trying to get out of it?

You aren't going deep enough. Hip crease needs to be below the top of your knee, you aren't even close. Hard to tell, but you may need to widen your stance to hit depth - make sure your knees are still tracking over your toes. Knees going past the toes doesn't mean your squat is bad - especially if you are squatting high-bar. Break at the hips first and sit back (moreso if you are doing low-bar squats), you are breaking at the knees first and kind of plopping straight down.
    I would second this post and also add that it looks like your weight is coming off your heels and onto your toes during your squat. While knees going past toes may not be an indicator of anything, if your weight is coming forward onto your toes that's a big issue and it means you are a lot of stress on your knees.

Keep in mind "squatting far back" is for low bar squats only. For a high bar squat you initiate by shoving your hips back slightly, but after that you squat straight down and keep your torso fairly vertical rather than sitting back and leaning forward like you may have seen others doing.

tikorockz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would suggest box squats just to get the feel of getting your hips back. Think of squats not only as a leg exercise but a hip exercise too. Your power comes from your hips too so like peter said widen your sgance if you have to but break at the hips first not the knees

jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by tidnab View Post
    it looks like your weight is coming off your heels and onto your toes during your squat.
    This was my first observation. I'd like to see another video with a head-on view.
    The more that you read, the more things you'll know.
    The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.

Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149723023