Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14
    SchwarzBruder is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SchwarzBruder is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SchwarzBruder is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SchwarzBruder is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SchwarzBruder is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SchwarzBruder is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SchwarzBruder is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SchwarzBruder is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SchwarzBruder is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SchwarzBruder is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SchwarzBruder is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    i thnk u guys need to stop being pussies and apply for jobs that pay like 12-15 dollar an hr

do some thats labor that doesnt require skills

like a roofer or laborer for a construction company \

u guys need to build connections

y r u guys applying for jobs at mcdonalds at age 25

ocpunkelite86 is just really nice. (+1000) ocpunkelite86 is just really nice. (+1000) ocpunkelite86 is just really nice. (+1000) ocpunkelite86 is just really nice. (+1000) ocpunkelite86 is just really nice. (+1000) ocpunkelite86 is just really nice. (+1000) ocpunkelite86 is just really nice. (+1000) ocpunkelite86 is just really nice. (+1000) ocpunkelite86 is just really nice. (+1000) ocpunkelite86 is just really nice. (+1000) ocpunkelite86 is just really nice. (+1000)
    <--- 2 year psych degree from CC while in Army

<---- Director of Technology

lol
    "We make war that we may live in peace." - Aristotle

zebrahz is on a distinguished road. (+10) zebrahz is on a distinguished road. (+10) zebrahz is on a distinguished road. (+10) zebrahz is on a distinguished road. (+10) zebrahz is on a distinguished road. (+10) zebrahz is on a distinguished road. (+10) zebrahz is on a distinguished road. (+10) zebrahz is on a distinguished road. (+10) zebrahz is on a distinguished road. (+10) zebrahz is on a distinguished road. (+10) zebrahz is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey all, I read an interesting article a while back discussing technical versus non-technical college degrees. Since people are starting school soon, I thought this might be an interesting read.

Which college major should I choose?

by Philip Guo (contact info)

October 2008
    Summary
    This article highlights the advantages and disadvantages of choosing a technical (e.g., science, engineering) versus non-technical (e.g., business, humanities) college major. One's looks and personality are pivotal in determining whether one will be happier and/or more successful upon choosing a technical or non-technical major.
    TECHNICAL VS. NON-TECHNICAL MAJORS
    In my over-simplified view of the world, there are two kinds of college majors: technical and non-technical. Typical examples of technical majors include engineering, applied math, and science; typical examples of non-technical majors include the arts, humanities, business/administration, and communications. When deciding on a college major (or assessing the decision made by, say, one of your kids whose hefty tuition bill you've just paid), one must first choose between these two kinds of majors. In this article, I will present my assessments of each kind of major and how well they mesh with students' expectations of college, looks, personality, and high school social status.

*** Content in link, too long to quote ***

TAKE-HOME MESSAGES
    Your looks and personality have a huge impact on whether you will end up happier and more successful upon pursuing a technical or non-technical major. You must ultimately decide for yourself, because if you make such a crucial decision based upon the whims of your parents or peers, then you might deeply regret it when you are older.

Technical majors usually lead to more stable and meritocratic jobs, whereas non-technical majors lead to a larger variance in the quality and types of jobs. The richest people are often non-technical, but then again so are the poorest; in contrast, technical people are usually able to make a decent middle-class living but can rarely 'strike it rich'.

The difference between choosing a technical or non-technical major often isn't a matter of intelligence; there are plenty of smart people who major in both, and there are plenty of dumb people who major in both as well. It's much more dependent on the individuals' personality and natural dispositions.

There is bigotry and arrogance on both sides of the fence: Technical majors view non-technical majors as soft and fuzzy, while non-technical majors view technical majors as anti-social nerds. Hopefully this article can, in some small way, help people on both sides understand and empathize better with those on the opposing side.
    Source:
    Cliffs:
    Non-technical Majors are better for people who are good with dealing people, taller, more aesthetic
    Technical Majors are better for people who are good with numbers/analysis, shorter, less aesthetic
    Not trying to rustle any jimmies, just wondering what people thoughts and experiences with this topic are.
    roasted like evah

HomerJThompson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HomerJThompson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HomerJThompson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HomerJThompson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HomerJThompson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HomerJThompson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HomerJThompson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HomerJThompson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HomerJThompson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HomerJThompson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HomerJThompson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Op, it's not about what you know but who you know, i have a guy that graudated with an english degree working for me, he is making 65k, his dad had friends in my company.

seadea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seadea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seadea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seadea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seadea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seadea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seadea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seadea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seadea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seadea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seadea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Applying to 46 places in 2 months is not a lot...that's how the job market is these days. You need to be applying to 10 jobs a day, expecting a 10% response rate.

xAlliance is a name known to all. (+5000) xAlliance is a name known to all. (+5000) xAlliance is a name known to all. (+5000) xAlliance is a name known to all. (+5000) xAlliance is a name known to all. (+5000) xAlliance is a name known to all. (+5000) xAlliance is a name known to all. (+5000) xAlliance is a name known to all. (+5000) xAlliance is a name known to all. (+5000) xAlliance is a name known to all. (+5000) xAlliance is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Currently in a labourers union making $60k, but heading back to school in September. Yes, decent pay, but the work is chitty (doing residential concrete formwork).

Starting at a CC for chemical lab technology (bad HS marks) then transferring to a bigger university for sciences/engineering. Really want to go back for the networking, knowledge and massive potential for meaningful jobs. Probably going to pursue a masters as well.

I don't mind the student debt because I know there will be jobs readily available, unlike history and English degrees.

Curtiz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curtiz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curtiz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curtiz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curtiz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curtiz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curtiz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curtiz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curtiz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curtiz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curtiz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Placement year mother****er, if you dont have one GET ONE.

Brb interviews
    Brb computing degree
    Brb placement year
    Brb Baaaallin

LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I get 8-10 job calls a week doing IT, you mad

Registered User brianwaterman89's Avatar
    brianwaterman89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) brianwaterman89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) brianwaterman89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) brianwaterman89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) brianwaterman89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) brianwaterman89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) brianwaterman89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) brianwaterman89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) brianwaterman89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) brianwaterman89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) brianwaterman89 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by MrDelts View Post
    im doing a communication related degree, if i didnt have family friends in the TV industry it would be hard as hell to find a job in the area.
    this thread makes me feelgoodman.jpg

brb doing the same repetitive job for decades and hating your life in the years ahead, i've seen it happen all too often.
    seen it often? Your 18...... you probably work at mcdonalds LOL

also i'v had 3 different jobs the past 4 years all from promotions, winning
    *| 10% Krew |*

***Canadian Crew***

ectobruh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectobruh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectobruh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectobruh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectobruh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectobruh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectobruh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectobruh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectobruh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectobruh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectobruh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    don't mention degrees on resume

????

profit
    FLAT: 225x11 INCLINE DB 100x9 incline bench 225x8 deadlift: [RETIRED!! OUTTA HERE] FS: 225X8

tetraktys13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tetraktys13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tetraktys13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tetraktys13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tetraktys13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tetraktys13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tetraktys13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tetraktys13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tetraktys13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tetraktys13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tetraktys13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You should have gotten a Trade first

Originally Posted by wessneijder View Post
    some of them think I am not serious about the job since I have a degree (I will just run away as soon as I get a better job).
    Are you saying that you won't?
    **Mod Negg'd Crew** KyleAaron why u mad tho lol

tetraktys13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tetraktys13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tetraktys13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tetraktys13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tetraktys13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tetraktys13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tetraktys13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tetraktys13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tetraktys13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tetraktys13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tetraktys13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by QuarterRepCurls View Post
    No college debt
    3rd year aeronautical engineer
    ~3.1 GPA
    feels kinda good man
    only thing i need is experience hoping to get it either spring semester or next summer.

people who major in worthless degrees with debt and can't find a job...
    idk man, i told a lot of people not to go to college unless you know exactly what you want to do and are purusing a worthwhile career and know how to get experience.

brb not listening to me
    brb rushing frats in more important
    brb i just want to party
    brb now i'm in debt and can't find a job

brb the government needs to bail me out because student debt is not fair

Not for me though
    **Mod Negg'd Crew** KyleAaron why u mad tho lol

BABABANG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BABABANG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BABABANG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BABABANG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BABABANG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BABABANG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BABABANG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BABABANG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BABABANG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BABABANG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BABABANG is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    If you have a "worthless" major then you damn better have a good gpa and know how to do a damn good interview. Social science/humanities majors need to rely on their social and marketing skills to further their career. I'm a political science major currently, plan on going into law or business. I'm packing my resume with relevant internships and enhancing my people skills...I'm not worried.

garycoleman2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) garycoleman2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) garycoleman2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) garycoleman2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) garycoleman2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) garycoleman2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) garycoleman2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) garycoleman2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) garycoleman2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) garycoleman2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) garycoleman2 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    when i was in college, my physics teacher would always make fun of english majors

mike.hunt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mike.hunt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mike.hunt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mike.hunt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mike.hunt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mike.hunt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mike.hunt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mike.hunt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mike.hunt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mike.hunt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mike.hunt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I haven't finished college yet.

Got hired on for 2nd jerb I applied at starting at $13 hr, account manager, most peeps make $60k+ after 1 year.
    Medium/small size town only 200k

Cliffs: If you can't get a job you're doing it wrong, or you're just an idiot

robertk232 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) robertk232 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) robertk232 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) robertk232 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) robertk232 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) robertk232 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) robertk232 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) robertk232 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) robertk232 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) robertk232 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) robertk232 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Did you have any internships in college? Most of my friends who proactively looked for internships while in college or who were heavily involved in student groups got jobs shortly after college. I figured this out my junior year, so my senior year I had two internships that were unpaid just to get the experience.

I went to a state school, majored in PR (journalism) and minored in business. Most people assume journalism degrees are garbage. It depends on your focus. I went the PR route, which is actually an industry people care about. Glad I didn't do something retarded like try to become a journalist.

It took me about 4 months after college to get an internship, they hired me full-time afterwards, but it was in an industry I didn't like. Now I do brand marketing and digital comms for an amazing brand. Literally the job I've wanted since I was like 18. Started in January. It took me 4 years after college to get it. It doesn't pay as well as other jobs (still decent money,) but the perks are amazing, I love what I do and know that if I walked into the business school at any college, hundreds of kids would want my job. Keeps me working hard.

theculture is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theculture is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theculture is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theculture is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theculture is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theculture is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theculture is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theculture is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theculture is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theculture is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theculture is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by robertk232 View Post
    Did you have any internships in college? Most of my friends who proactively looked for internships while in college or who were heavily involved in student groups got jobs shortly after college. I figured this out my junior year, so my senior year I had two internships that were unpaid just to get the experience.
    Very true.. internships lead to jobs, simple.
    I'm in architecture, entering my 5th year (5 year BA), and last semester we were supposed to get a perceptorship through our studio class. So instead of studio, we basically do an internship, but with a different name (da fuc?). Anyway, I was one of two who didn't get one after four interviews. Guess they liked me GPA and portfolio, but not my face.

Problem? we have to have internship experience to graduate.

Anyway, how did you go about saying you will work for no pay? Just "I will work, pro bono" (sounds like boner, lulz), but also makes me sound like I just want to suck knowledge out of them and have them show me what's up/work on my resume.
    All I have going for me besides a solid GPA (3.25 in arch is very good) is that I've been working IT at our Uni's law school for over 2 years now. Before that I was an auto mechanic all throughout HS into college... lots of experience with cars and customers too

I feel like i'm very solid, only thing lacking is available jobs and internships for my major... although not nearly as bad as "English", lol
    Last edited by theculture; 08-18-2012 at 01:46 PM.
    Misc jawbrah appreciation crew
    Amanda Todd was pretty cute crew
    Friendzon'd by my own aunt crew
    Eats fast as fuk crew

MiD20 is a complete loser! (-2000) MiD20 is a complete loser! (-2000) MiD20 is a complete loser! (-2000) MiD20 is a complete loser! (-2000) MiD20 is a complete loser! (-2000) MiD20 is a complete loser! (-2000) MiD20 is a complete loser! (-2000) MiD20 is a complete loser! (-2000) MiD20 is a complete loser! (-2000) MiD20 is a complete loser! (-2000) MiD20 is a complete loser! (-2000)
    i am not paying for school, financial aid covers everything. Hopefully waiting to get into NYPD, they make 90k after 5 years. But there's like a 3 year waiting list for that. and its not even grantued if u get the job or not. my background is extremely clean, never got arrested or even a speeding ticket etc. anyway i majoring in Criminal justice / minoring in Economics or Mathematics. i am coming to realize that CJ (criminal justice) , is useless major, and so is economics. i was thinking of changing it to Mathematics, would it be good to major in mathematics

checking privilege... Bro_montana's Avatar
    Bro_montana is a name known to all. (+5000) Bro_montana is a name known to all. (+5000) Bro_montana is a name known to all. (+5000) Bro_montana is a name known to all. (+5000) Bro_montana is a name known to all. (+5000) Bro_montana is a name known to all. (+5000) Bro_montana is a name known to all. (+5000) Bro_montana is a name known to all. (+5000) Bro_montana is a name known to all. (+5000) Bro_montana is a name known to all. (+5000) Bro_montana is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'm majoring in English with a writing specialization. My electives and a significant amount of my core classes are centered around technical writing/editing courses in business, literature, and science. I'm also taking an internship at the state legislative office soon, and I plan to complete 2-3 internships before I graduate. I figure as long as i'm proactive about my English studies and continue to focus on relevant skills (avoiding BS feminine chit) then i should be good. I can see how getting an English degree could be pointless though, if you specialize in Early American Literature or something totally irrelevant than to you I say "good luck."

EDIT: ........strong bump