Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    JohnnyOhhh is just really nice. (+1000) JohnnyOhhh is just really nice. (+1000) JohnnyOhhh is just really nice. (+1000) JohnnyOhhh is just really nice. (+1000) JohnnyOhhh is just really nice. (+1000) JohnnyOhhh is just really nice. (+1000) JohnnyOhhh is just really nice. (+1000) JohnnyOhhh is just really nice. (+1000) JohnnyOhhh is just really nice. (+1000) JohnnyOhhh is just really nice. (+1000) JohnnyOhhh is just really nice. (+1000)

Ask a teen who's been lifting for almost 3 years anything

Lifting experience: around 3 years, since junior year

Powerlifter or bodybuilder?: both, but with an emphasis on low-rep, heavy training

Weight: maintaining around 160; started out at 130, was at 175 at one point (winter of senior year)

Bodyfat: 10% currently; slowly dropping

Diet: Intermittent fasting (1-2 meals a day, eaten in an 8 hour block from afternoon to evening

Best lifts: Bench: 235 x 1, 100 db's x 3; Deadlift: 410 x 1; Squat (atg): 245 x 3; Barbell Overhead Press: 155 x 3, 75 db's x 5; Hang clean: 205 x 1; Pullups: 23 BW, +55 lbs x 8; Dips: 30 BW, +90 lbs x 8

I used to hang around the teen forums quite a bit in high school. I'm a freshman in college now so I don't have as much time to misc/piss away time in the wasteland that is much of bbing.com, but I thought I'd come back and share some things I've learned along the way. I'm not huge nor am I massively strong, I'm just your average bro who started off weak as fuk and wanted to get both bigger and stronger. I've come a long ass way and learned a lot, in particular I've learned not to trust everything you read- i know every trainer and his brother says this, but everybody is very different and you have to learn what works for you. That said, I'll offer up some quality advice to anyone who'll listen.

As for my background, I started off for pure aesthetic purposes. Got a bit chunky and at one point I was 175 lbs, a bit too large for my frame IMO. Got back down to 160 where I am now, mainly working on increasing strength as opposed to just size. I incorporate a lot of bodyweight and Olympic lifts because I think they work to build a more athletic, functional looking physique as opposed to simply being big and blocky. I've been eating around maintenance for the last year and a half while training hard (5-7 days a week: 4-5 heavy workouts, the rest are light workouts with mainly bodyweight exercises). Been intermittent fasting for about a year, and I love it. Getting gradually leaner while not having to worry about eating during the day and pigging out at dinner.

inb4 tl;dr...any questions, shoot!

edit: previous log here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=135029251
    Last edited by JohnnyOhhh; 04-06-2012 at 09:13 AM.
    new log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=690964161#post690964161

"When it comes to training (and life in general for that matter), many people erroneously think that all you have to do to succeed is work hard. Unfortunately, this isn't true. You have to work intelligently." -Dr. Clay Hyght

spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    3 years to get a 245x3 squat
    why would I listen to what you say?

comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by spiderman997 View Post
    This.

You look pretty good OP.
    For 3 years though... not so much.

comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It is easy as phuck to get a 300+ lb squat in a few months.

Gaate is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gaate is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gaate is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gaate is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gaate is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gaate is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gaate is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gaate is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gaate is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gaate is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gaate is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by comps View Post
    It is easy as phuck to get a 300+ lb squat in a few months.
    Don't be an ass.

One of your 'unaccomplished goals' says squat 315.
    Don't judge others for where they are.
    Last edited by Gaate; 04-06-2012 at 08:53 AM.

spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Gaate View Post
    x5*

dblock548 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I agree, I squat that at age 15 weighing 145

XxxOneMoRepxxX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) XxxOneMoRepxxX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) XxxOneMoRepxxX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) XxxOneMoRepxxX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) XxxOneMoRepxxX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) XxxOneMoRepxxX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) XxxOneMoRepxxX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) XxxOneMoRepxxX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) XxxOneMoRepxxX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) XxxOneMoRepxxX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) XxxOneMoRepxxX has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Don't be an ass.

Don't judge others on something you cant do yet.
    hIs goal says 315x5 squat. He will be repping it, not a max out. And 300lbs isnt 315....
    Day by day, brick by brick.
    IronMuffin

Gaate is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gaate is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gaate is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gaate is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gaate is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gaate is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gaate is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gaate is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gaate is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gaate is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gaate is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by XxxOneMoRepxxX View Post
    hIs goal says 315x5 squat. He will be repping it, not a max out. And 300lbs isnt 315....
    I know, I was just saying, clearly he isn't a weightlifting god either. This guy put himself out there to try to help people, even if he isn't super qualified, there's no reason to try to make him feel bad about himself.
    Max Lifts
    Squat: 365
    Bench: 295
    Power Clean: 225

Mile Time: 5:15
    5k Time: 18:52

I know, I was just saying, clearly he isn't a weightlifting god either. This guy put himself out there to try to help people, even if he isn't super qualified, there's no reason to try to make him feel bad about himself.
    I'm not a weightlifting god at all.
    I have wasted a fair amount of time and I know that. I've been training for only a year though, and I will most likely hit 400 before my second year of training is done.

Op's strength progression is slow and I would like to hear an explanation for it.

XxxOneMoRepxxX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) XxxOneMoRepxxX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) XxxOneMoRepxxX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) XxxOneMoRepxxX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) XxxOneMoRepxxX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) XxxOneMoRepxxX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) XxxOneMoRepxxX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) XxxOneMoRepxxX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) XxxOneMoRepxxX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) XxxOneMoRepxxX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) XxxOneMoRepxxX has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    otay
    IronMuffin

I have wasted a fair amount of time and I know that. I've been training for only a year though, and I will most likely hit 400 before my second year of training is done.

Op's strength progression is slow and I would like to hear an explanation for it.
    Subbed for answer. OP you got some explaining to do.
    IronMuffin

Betheas is not very helpful. (-500) Betheas is not very helpful. (-500) Betheas is not very helpful. (-500) Betheas is not very helpful. (-500) Betheas is not very helpful. (-500) Betheas is not very helpful. (-500) Betheas is not very helpful. (-500) Betheas is not very helpful. (-500) Betheas is not very helpful. (-500) Betheas is not very helpful. (-500) Betheas is not very helpful. (-500)

Im with this guy.

JohnnyOhhh is just really nice. (+1000) JohnnyOhhh is just really nice. (+1000) JohnnyOhhh is just really nice. (+1000) JohnnyOhhh is just really nice. (+1000) JohnnyOhhh is just really nice. (+1000) JohnnyOhhh is just really nice. (+1000) JohnnyOhhh is just really nice. (+1000) JohnnyOhhh is just really nice. (+1000) JohnnyOhhh is just really nice. (+1000) JohnnyOhhh is just really nice. (+1000) JohnnyOhhh is just really nice. (+1000)
    I know my squat is terrible. I've been working on it very intermittently for about year, but it hasn't seemed to improve much. Keep in mind that they are ATG (real atg...ass to calves) so they would naturally be lower. I would estimate my parallel squat to be about 275 for reps.

Anyhow, that doesn't explain why my squat is so low...honestly, I just hate squatting. It may be 'king' of lifts to some, but not to me. Having big legs and ass was never one of my goals, so I've never tried to bring up my squat specifically. A huge part of the reason that I train is because I enjoy it, not because I think I have to do it. Also, I've been eating around maintenance for a long time, not exactly conducive to squat gains.

Guys, you're all missing the point. I never claimed to be some training guru...I'm just an average kid who loves to train. Could I have made better gains? Absolutely- but in the end, it's all about how long you stay in the game, not how fast you start out. I love training and will most likely continue training for the rest of my life...I'm in no hurry to maximize my gains. I'm comfortable with the way I look right now, so I don't need the added stress of thinking about "oh ****, if I do this, I'll make 25% more gains". I'm serious about lifting, but I'm not anal.

Anyways, if anyone wants some decent advice, ask for it. Don't turn this into a pissing match, because idgaf about anyone's stats. Bottom line is, I've been around the block a few times when it comes to lifting, and there is a lot I can offer in the way of practical wisdom, especially to newbies. I may not be even close to the biggest or the strongest, but I've done pretty well for myself. I didn't make this thread to satisfy my ego.

"When it comes to training (and life in general for that matter), many people erroneously think that all you have to do to succeed is work hard. Unfortunately, this isn't true. You have to work intelligently." -Dr. Clay Hyght

crosmanboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) crosmanboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) crosmanboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) crosmanboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) crosmanboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) crosmanboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) crosmanboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) crosmanboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) crosmanboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) crosmanboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) crosmanboy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Have you been thorugh multiple cut/bulk cycles?

Originally Posted by crosmanboy View Post
    Have you been thorugh multiple cut/bulk cycles?
    Yes, and they were all retarded. Brb, gaining 20 lbs and getting chubby just to cut a few months later and be right back down to where I started.

I much prefer eating at maintenance (maybe slightly above if you particularly want to add mass) and taking it slow. Intermittent fasting works great for this type of strategy.

edit: going to class for a few hours, I'll be back. I just hope this thread doesn't turn into yet another bbing.com ****show.

crosmanboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) crosmanboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) crosmanboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) crosmanboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) crosmanboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) crosmanboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) crosmanboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) crosmanboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) crosmanboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) crosmanboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) crosmanboy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Class? Im on spring break

pagii will become famous soon enough. (+50) pagii will become famous soon enough. (+50) pagii will become famous soon enough. (+50) pagii will become famous soon enough. (+50) pagii will become famous soon enough. (+50) pagii will become famous soon enough. (+50) pagii will become famous soon enough. (+50) pagii will become famous soon enough. (+50) pagii will become famous soon enough. (+50) pagii will become famous soon enough. (+50) pagii will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    raped...just because op is close to my size and gives good idea where ill be when i cut

nice tho

Originally Posted by JohnnyOhhh View Post
    Yes, and they were all retarded. Brb, gaining 20 lbs and getting chubby just to cut a few months later and be right back down to where I started.
    Eating a calorie surplus is retarded now? Say goodnight to any credibility you had.

Jericoe is just really nice. (+1000) Jericoe is just really nice. (+1000) Jericoe is just really nice. (+1000) Jericoe is just really nice. (+1000) Jericoe is just really nice. (+1000) Jericoe is just really nice. (+1000) Jericoe is just really nice. (+1000) Jericoe is just really nice. (+1000) Jericoe is just really nice. (+1000) Jericoe is just really nice. (+1000) Jericoe is just really nice. (+1000)
    Your lifts are pretty low for 3 years of training, but your hang clean is pretty good

TebowFan15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TebowFan15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TebowFan15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TebowFan15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TebowFan15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TebowFan15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TebowFan15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TebowFan15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TebowFan15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TebowFan15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TebowFan15 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Do you have a sandwich named after you? If not, what would the sandwich name be?
    Philippians 4:13-"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

Tebow Time.

Strong just got Stronger 7399martyn's Avatar
    7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000)
    it's all about how long you stay in the game, not how fast you start out.
    so working out 1-2 a week intermittently for 10 years is better than dedicating a few years training seriously?

you said you incorporated a lot of olympic lifts, yet you only hang clean 205, is this a joke?

245x3 squat, tsk tsk. get your sh*t together OP and take yourself more seriously so other will.
    Powerlifter at PTC Performance Training Centre

661 squat, 385 bench, 705 deadlift, 1752lb total.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVx1ANJc7lc

wwe101 is just really nice. (+1000) wwe101 is just really nice. (+1000) wwe101 is just really nice. (+1000) wwe101 is just really nice. (+1000) wwe101 is just really nice. (+1000) wwe101 is just really nice. (+1000) wwe101 is just really nice. (+1000) wwe101 is just really nice. (+1000) wwe101 is just really nice. (+1000) wwe101 is just really nice. (+1000) wwe101 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Guys, don't be ****s.

OP maybe wants aesthetics > strength.

He is in better shape than half the people on this thread anyway.

gangstamuzik is just really nice. (+1000) gangstamuzik is just really nice. (+1000) gangstamuzik is just really nice. (+1000) gangstamuzik is just really nice. (+1000) gangstamuzik is just really nice. (+1000) gangstamuzik is just really nice. (+1000) gangstamuzik is just really nice. (+1000) gangstamuzik is just really nice. (+1000) gangstamuzik is just really nice. (+1000) gangstamuzik is just really nice. (+1000) gangstamuzik is just really nice. (+1000)
    lol, you guys are d'icks.
    he didn't brag about his damn lifts to anyone, he's just trying to help people out.
    gtfo fgts

Strong just got Stronger 7399martyn's Avatar
    7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000)
    we're trying to help him by figuring out what he did wrong.
    Powerlifter at PTC Performance Training Centre

661 squat, 385 bench, 705 deadlift, 1752lb total.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVx1ANJc7lc

Jericoe is just really nice. (+1000) Jericoe is just really nice. (+1000) Jericoe is just really nice. (+1000) Jericoe is just really nice. (+1000) Jericoe is just really nice. (+1000) Jericoe is just really nice. (+1000) Jericoe is just really nice. (+1000) Jericoe is just really nice. (+1000) Jericoe is just really nice. (+1000) Jericoe is just really nice. (+1000) Jericoe is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by gangstamuzik View Post
    lol, you guys are d'icks.
    he didn't brag about his damn lifts to anyone, he's just trying to help people out.
    gtfo fgts
    Well thats the thing, all the veteran lifters on here dont want someone with low lifts thats been working out for a while giving out advice when he doesnt have great results to back it up.

Originally Posted by wwe101 View Post
    Guys, don't be ****s.

OP maybe wants aesthetics > strength.

He is in better shape than half the people on this thread anyway.
    "In better shape"

He might be leaner than a fair amount of people here, but he definitely has less mass. So when you say "in shape" what are you trying to say? His conditioning is better? He is stronger? His bf% is lower?

jd007914 is just really nice. (+1000) jd007914 is just really nice. (+1000) jd007914 is just really nice. (+1000) jd007914 is just really nice. (+1000) jd007914 is just really nice. (+1000) jd007914 is just really nice. (+1000) jd007914 is just really nice. (+1000) jd007914 is just really nice. (+1000) jd007914 is just really nice. (+1000) jd007914 is just really nice. (+1000) jd007914 is just really nice. (+1000)
    This^

OP you do look great man! But as far as numbers, I've been lifting 8 months and am already benching 215 (which isn't that great). Whereas you have been lifting 3 YEARS and only put up 235? It's not even like your weight is very low. You're still a big kid.
    PR's -
    Squat: 400
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 465

~Jesus Christ Is My Savior Crew~
    ★★MyFitnessPal Crew★★

Follow My Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147801213&p=941917923#post941917923

Originally Posted by 7399martyn View Post
    we're trying to help him by figuring out what he did wrong.
    It probably had to do with his diet and his fear of going over 175lbs. He was probably barely eating in fear of gaining fat.

also, mirin' deadlift to weight ratio.

edit: going to class for a few hours, I'll be back. I just hope this thread doesn't turn into yet another bbing.com ****show.
    OP is a wizard