scottemory72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Shoulder Routine ?

My current split is the following:

Back, Bi, Legs 2 days a week

Chest, Shoulders, Tri 2 days a week

All cardio is done on weight training days.

3 total rest days

Here's my question: I've seen some people doing shoulder workouts with their back workout; should I be doing this? Is there a reason they are working them together?

I've always done them with my chest, is that the wrong day to do them?

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by scottemory72 View Post

3 total rest days

Here's my question: I've seen some people doing shoulder workouts with their back workout; should I be doing this? Is there a reason they are working them together?

Yes/no/maybe.

Body part training combinations come in all types and configurations. Every proponent of a particular split setup will have his reasons why he trains as he does.

And each of them would be correct. If there were one "best" way to break down a training split, everybody would all be training exactly the same. They don't.

If your current body part split is providing satisfactory results, then it's 'right.' If this isn't the case for you, try another lineup for a few months and evaluate it's results.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

3 total rest days

There is nothing wrong with doing them with your chest and tris, but you do have to consider the movements your are doing. For instance, when working chest, you probably do some sort of bench pressing movement, maybe two. If you do shoulder presses as well, you are getting a lot of tricep work in. Since you are hitting these bodyparts twice in a week, you may want to tweak back on any triceps work you are doing.

If you are doing your traps on shoulder day, be advised that your traps get work from a lot of back movments as well. Again, depending upon what you are doing, you could basically be hitting your traps four times a week, which can lead to some over-use type problems.

Ray
    Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven... so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. Matt. 6: 1-4

magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    if your shoulders were lagging I would say give them their own day, or at least start with them as your first group, otherwise if what your doing is working for you, don't overthink it

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Here's my answer:

For 95% of people on this forum, it's not going to matter one bit how they split up their routine, it's especially true for isolation work. Which is why it seems amazingly weird to me how 95% of the volume of this forum is how to split things up and all the broscience associated with it.

Cheers!
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA

ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by bigtallox View Post
    Here's my answer:

For 95% of people on this forum, it's not going to matter one bit how they split up their routine, it's especially true for isolation work. Which is why it seems amazingly weird to me how 95% of the volume of this forum is how to split things up and all the broscience associated with it.

Cheers!
    I totally disagree. It makes all the difference in the world to split certain muscle groups (exercises) up into an order that most benefits each individual. No matter what the goal is...
    Let's say someone does triceps on Monday... Tuesday they do bench presses. The bench press will not be at full potential due to the triceps recovering from the previous day. As for me... I can not do shoulders then chest one day after another. I must have a day rest between in order to have a 100% effective training session. These things are learned over time.
    Every day counts.

-[][][]---------[][][]-

I has a PHmuthaf'nD in Broscience!

ntrllftr > azstrengthlosscouchpotato

mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Here's my answer:

For 95% of people on this forum, it's not going to matter one bit how they split up their routine,

Cheers!

Why? Care to elaborate?
    Air Force Veteran 1976 - 1999 - Cannabis Enthusiast since the 1960's

Retired at 40 Crew - Social distancing expert - Living the Dream

I use the gender neutral pronouns "Fukker/Fukkers" a lot.

****** I don't always agree with the memes I post ******

I tell it like it is, if you want smoke blown up your ass or something sugar coated. I suggest you get a Hooker and a powdered donut.

ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by mtpockets View Post
    Why? Care to elaborate?
    I would like to know also. Maybe I'm missing something.
    Every day counts.

-[][][]---------[][][]-

Registered User miamibodybuilder's Avatar
    miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000)
    i think when it comes to training splits it's really a matter of preference to be honest with you. i think if your current split is working for you and you're making gains theres no reason to switch it up at the moment. i've seen guys do shoulders with back as well but hey if it works for them, who am i to say it wont work. i do one muscle a day and do shoulders all by themselves and that works for me. so whos to tell me it doesnt work? you can try different things and find what works best for you.
    NGA Natural bodybuilder
    AAEFX Board Rep
    Team Natural Freak

WillyPalmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillyPalmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillyPalmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillyPalmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillyPalmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillyPalmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillyPalmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillyPalmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillyPalmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillyPalmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillyPalmer is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Here's my answer:

Cheers!
    People won't like this but its spot on.

Originally Posted by WillyPalmer View Post
    People won't like this but its spot on.
    A second person that agrees with that.
    Neither give any supportive argument.
    Got it!
    Every day counts.

-[][][]---------[][][]-

WillyPalmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillyPalmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillyPalmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillyPalmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillyPalmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillyPalmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillyPalmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillyPalmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillyPalmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillyPalmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillyPalmer is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ntrllftr View Post
    A second person that agrees with that.
    Neither give any supportive argument.
    Got it!
    He's wondering if its wrong to do shoulders with chest. wtf will it matter? Do them with calves or neck pulls or butt squeezes or whatever. It won't matter in 95% of the cases. I know you compete somewhat so consideration may be different. If people would focus more on doing proper form compounds which is 90% of your workout and less on their splits/isolation etc... which is at best 10% of the equation, they may actually see results.

He's wondering if its wrong to do shoulders with chest. wtf will it matter? Do them with calves or neck pulls or butt squeezes or whatever. It won't matter in 95% of the cases. I know you compete somewhat so consideration may be different. If people would focus more on doing proper form compounds which is 90% of your workout and less on their splits/isolation etc... which is at best 10% of the equation, they may actually see results.
    Nothing is wrong with it. But to say 95% of the people don't need to create a split and go to the gym working out aimlessly is rediculous. No?
    As I said... over time a person learns what they can and can't do in their split to make it much more effective for them!
    Every day counts.

-[][][]---------[][][]-

Nothing is wrong with it. But to say 95% of the people don't need to create a split and go to the gym working out aimlessly is rediculous. No?
    As I said... over time a person learns what they can and can't do in their split to make it much more effective for them!
    I don't know, I got my best gains when the internet wasn't around and I didn't know what the fck I was doing. I just lifted weights.

I don't know, I got my best gains when the internet wasn't around and I didn't know what the fck I was doing. I just lifted weights.

Me too.... and I still don't know what the fck I'm doin.
    Every day counts.

-[][][]---------[][][]-

bamaborn67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bamaborn67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bamaborn67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bamaborn67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bamaborn67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bamaborn67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bamaborn67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bamaborn67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bamaborn67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bamaborn67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bamaborn67 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Me too.... and I still don't know what the fck I'm doin.
    Hey Carl..When you learn what to do pass it on.
    GO HEAVY OR GO HOME!!!

tobymax123 is a name known to all. (+5000) tobymax123 is a name known to all. (+5000) tobymax123 is a name known to all. (+5000) tobymax123 is a name known to all. (+5000) tobymax123 is a name known to all. (+5000) tobymax123 is a name known to all. (+5000) tobymax123 is a name known to all. (+5000) tobymax123 is a name known to all. (+5000) tobymax123 is a name known to all. (+5000) tobymax123 is a name known to all. (+5000) tobymax123 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    How about doing rear delts with back & bis (pull day), and do front & outer delts with chest & tris (push day). Of course some exercises hit two or all three delt heads, but you could sort of spread it into push/pull days.

I'm currently doing a dedicated shoulder day because my shoulders were lagging way behind my arms. I've come to like doing a shoulder day.

Agiyosi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Agiyosi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Agiyosi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Agiyosi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Agiyosi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Agiyosi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Agiyosi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Agiyosi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Agiyosi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Agiyosi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Agiyosi will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've always given shoulders their own day. I will usually go chest/bis, legs, back/tris, off day, then shoulders.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    My split:

shoulders/traps
    back/tris
    rest
    chest/bis
    legs
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

pvsampson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pvsampson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pvsampson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pvsampson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pvsampson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pvsampson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pvsampson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pvsampson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pvsampson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pvsampson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pvsampson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ^^^I think it's working Kimm!!!

BLaaR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BLaaR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BLaaR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BLaaR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BLaaR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BLaaR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BLaaR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BLaaR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BLaaR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BLaaR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BLaaR has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I prefer not to do any direct shoulder work. They get pretty banged up doing other movements.

trev71 is a name known to all. (+5000) trev71 is a name known to all. (+5000) trev71 is a name known to all. (+5000) trev71 is a name known to all. (+5000) trev71 is a name known to all. (+5000) trev71 is a name known to all. (+5000) trev71 is a name known to all. (+5000) trev71 is a name known to all. (+5000) trev71 is a name known to all. (+5000) trev71 is a name known to all. (+5000) trev71 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by miamibodybuilder View Post
    i think when it comes to training splits it's really a matter of preference to be honest with you. i think if your current split is working for you and you're making gains theres no reason to switch it up at the moment. i've seen guys do shoulders with back as well but hey if it works for them, who am i to say it wont work. i do one muscle a day and do shoulders all by themselves and that works for me. so whos to tell me it doesnt work? you can try different things and find what works best for you.
    Yea, I agree here...

I have a 5 day split.. absolutely love it.. my shoulders/traps have never been hit so well and responded so much until I dedicated one night per week for them They've shown their thanks

Chest/Calves
    Back
    Shoulders
    Arms
    Legs

My rest days are not "scheduled", they end up where they end up... generally speaking it's 5 days on during a 7 day week... Life happens sometimes
    Last edited by trev71; 08-15-2012 at 05:35 AM.
    --
    Knows a trial lawyer who knows how to defend himself in an online forum.