MusicalHam is just really nice. (+1000) MusicalHam is just really nice. (+1000) MusicalHam is just really nice. (+1000) MusicalHam is just really nice. (+1000) MusicalHam is just really nice. (+1000) MusicalHam is just really nice. (+1000) MusicalHam is just really nice. (+1000) MusicalHam is just really nice. (+1000) MusicalHam is just really nice. (+1000) MusicalHam is just really nice. (+1000) MusicalHam is just really nice. (+1000)

Very Sleepy after Working Out?

So, I always get very sleepy after working out.. not just exhausted.
    I figure it's probably normal but at the same time could it be a sign that I just am not eating enough for energy?
    I suppose it could also mean I'm not getting enough / deep enough sleep during the night.

RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It could be a variety of factors. Provide some more information and people can offer some suggestions.

Do you take a pre-workout product?

MusicalHam is just really nice. (+1000) MusicalHam is just really nice. (+1000) MusicalHam is just really nice. (+1000) MusicalHam is just really nice. (+1000) MusicalHam is just really nice. (+1000) MusicalHam is just really nice. (+1000) MusicalHam is just really nice. (+1000) MusicalHam is just really nice. (+1000) MusicalHam is just really nice. (+1000) MusicalHam is just really nice. (+1000) MusicalHam is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by RubenOlivares View Post
    It could be a variety of factors. Provide some more information and people can offer some suggestions.

Do you take a pre-workout product?
    I usually eat a heavy carb/protein meal about an hour before lifting so I have energy ready other then that I don't take anything before working out.

My sleeping habits are pretty bad. I usually find myself laying in bed for hours without getting a wink of sleep and then I'll just get back up.
    I don't really want to take anything to help me sleep and even when I'm exhausted from working out I still cant manage to get anything.
    After working out my Macro/cal needs just now I also believe I'm not getting enough of either.
    Any suggestions on how to get "good" carbs into my diet?
    I think I just need to start watching my diet a lot better. I started eating healthy but I'll often forget to eat or haven't bought enough good food to restock and end up short on a day.

Base would be 2800 Cals which I should boost it up to around 3300 for bulking.. I would doubt if I'm hitting that consistently.. some days I eat far more then I do on others.
    220P/108F/360C (Carbs sound high?)
    The only carb heavy meal I eat is usually before the workout. Everything else is just Protein with some fat.
    I'm sure I need a lot more Carbs.

Heh. I'm answering my own questions.
    Last edited by MusicalHam; 08-12-2012 at 03:37 AM.

motiva8 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) motiva8 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) motiva8 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) motiva8 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) motiva8 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) motiva8 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) motiva8 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) motiva8 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) motiva8 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) motiva8 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) motiva8 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by MusicalHam View Post
    My sleeping habits are pretty bad. I usually find myself laying in bed for hours without getting a wink of sleep and then I'll just get back up.
    I don't really want to take anything to help me sleep and even when I'm exhausted from working out I still cant manage to get anything.
    After working out my Macro/cal needs just now I also believe I'm not getting enough of either.
    I think I just need to start watching my diet a lot better. I started eating healthy but I'll often forget to eat or haven't bought enough good food to restock and end up short on a day.
    The only carb heavy meal I eat is usually before the workout. Everything else is just Protein with some fat.
    Firstly try some lavender on your pillow to help you with sleep, No need for meds & the likes. Other things you can do is try wind down, ie read something/meditate, get off the computer & tv an hour or two before bed. Maybe even go for a walk which helps some people.
    Your fatigue could be any host of problems, from merely just not getting quality consistent sleep that is f*cking up your circadian rhythm. To a deficiency of some micronutrient, to merely not eating enough calories, to too much caffeine in the diet etc etc etc. YOU need to assess these factors & change where you think is necessary, we can only help guide.

It's natural to be tired after a workout, not knocked off your feet tired but fatigued. As for carbs & food in general i stick to the mantra ''whole food you prepared yourself over processed food you bought'', So the likes of brown rice/bread/pasta is already a huge step in the right direction alongside preparing your own food (don't whinge, it takes at max 20-30 mins to prepare an entire days worth of food if necessary). Without getting asinine, a food log can help both in tracking calories & viewing overall trends in your eating habits.

Best of luck

IFBB Amateur, M. Physique ArchangelEST's Avatar
    ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I usually eat a heavy carb/protein meal about an hour before lifting so I have energy ready other then that I don't take anything before working out.

Base would be 2800 Cals which I should boost it up to around 3300 for bulking.. I would doubt if I'm hitting that consistently.. some days I eat far more then I do on others.
    220P/108F/360C (Carbs sound high?)

Heh. I'm answering my own questions.
    You may want to drop the huge carb load before the work-out. It can be the reason for lethargy as such a huge meal will take a lot of energy to digest and the fluctuations in blood sugar can contribute to feeling sleepy. And to add, depending on the carb sources you will most likely stimulate the release of various hormones related to relaxing and sleepiness. So it can all have an effect.

Have a smaller meal instead. If you eat like 1-2hrs before work-out, you really don't need much protein/carbs at all to give you energy and keep you supplied for the work-out and after. Technically your muscles and liver have enough stored glycogen to last you several work-outs. So the carb intake per say isn't really needed before a work-out at all. But most people perform better when they do have some carbs close to training time. But who knows, you might just be better off with none at all. Might want to experiment with that too.

After the work-out you can have that huge meal. Maybe even consume mostly just the protein after the work-out and leave the majority of your daily carbs for near bed-time. A huge carb load might be helpful in providing good sleep.
    Owner of:

www.Aspartame-Research.com
    www.MayfieldFitness.net

Author of:

Flexible Dieting Handbook: How To Lose Weight by Eating What You Want - an Amazon Bestseller

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn. "

― Alvin Toffler

fuddster will become famous soon enough. (+50) fuddster will become famous soon enough. (+50) fuddster will become famous soon enough. (+50) fuddster will become famous soon enough. (+50) fuddster will become famous soon enough. (+50) fuddster will become famous soon enough. (+50) fuddster will become famous soon enough. (+50) fuddster will become famous soon enough. (+50) fuddster will become famous soon enough. (+50) fuddster will become famous soon enough. (+50) fuddster will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You are overtraining.

+Repped to both of you guys.
    Thanks for the tips I'll work on it.
    I'm gonna start keeping a log with me to make sure I'm eating enough. I may even just start giving myself reminders with some kind of timer system to say "Hey.. go eat"
    I'll also mess around with when I'm having my meals and the macro ratios too. As for sleeping, I just layed down dead tired for a while and didn't even get a wink of rest. Eh.
    I'll try doing something.. There was this one website with Brown/Pink/White noise I found once that was amazingly soothing. I'll start listening to that before going to bed.

On a note about caffeine, I actually have not had any since I quit drinking sodas about a year ago (And now I can not stand the taste of them at all if I ever try to drink them) I've heard having caffeine among other things before a workout can also be really helpful. Any good sources of it that aren't soda? What else would be suggested to get a more intense lifting session. I've been finding a lot lately that I am a lot more motivated to work out then my body can handle.
    (Currently doing 5/4/1 Boring but Big with as much assistance as I can)

You are overtraining.
    Probably. I just started 5/3/1 this week and it has rest weeks. Probably should give myself a break before getting into the program.
    I havn't really taken a lifting break since I started lifting consistently and heavily a year ago.
    Something else to think about I spose'

ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    +Repped to both of you guys.
    Thanks for the tips I'll work on it.
    I'm gonna start keeping a log with me to make sure I'm eating enough. I may even just start giving myself reminders with some kind of timer system to say "Hey.. go eat"
    I'll also mess around with when I'm having my meals and the macro ratios too. As for sleeping, I just layed down dead tired for a while and didn't even get a wink of rest. Eh.
    I'll try doing something.. There was this one website with Brown/Pink/White noise I found once that was amazingly soothing. I'll start listening to that before going to bed.

On a note about caffeine, I actually have not had any since I quit drinking sodas about a year ago (And now I can not stand the taste of them at all if I ever try to drink them) I've heard having caffeine among other things before a workout can also be really helpful. Any good sources of it that aren't soda? What else would be suggested to get a more intense lifting session. I've been finding a lot lately that I am a lot more motivated to work out then my body can handle.
    (Currently doing 5/4/1 Boring but Big with as much assistance as I can)

Probably. I just started 5/3/1 this week and it has rest weeks. Probably should give myself a break before getting into the program.
    I havn't really taken a lifting break since I started lifting consistently and heavily a year ago.
    Something else to think about I spose'
    It is actually quite difficult to overtrain unless you work out something like 6x a week and 2x a day for months. But when in doubt, of-course take a week off.

I definitely suggest playing around with carb intake size and timing. Try eating some "fast" carbs like some ice-cream or something an hour - half an hour before bed or some grain based carbs and see how that hits you. I'm usually out like a light in seconds.
    Owner of:

www.MayfieldFitness.net

Author of:

Flexible Dieting Handbook: How To Lose Weight by Eating What You Want - an Amazon Bestseller

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn. "

― Alvin Toffler

Rediscovering the Russian L The Pirate's Avatar
    L The Pirate is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) L The Pirate is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) L The Pirate is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) L The Pirate is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) L The Pirate is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) L The Pirate is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) L The Pirate is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) L The Pirate is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) L The Pirate is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) L The Pirate is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) L The Pirate is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Everything mentioned is helpful. I would also add that a someone who is in their third 4 week block of 5/3/1 with BBB template you really want to Limit accessory work to 2-3 additional exercises. The goal is strength so if ur doing your major work, then the BBB work ten like 4-5 accessory exercises ur kinda defeating the purpose of the program. Pick 2-3 accessories that maximize your major lifts like weighted dips, bent over rows, weighted pullups etc.
    I know personally after my 1 rep week I'm destroyed and usually need a nap stat. Good luck!
    P.T.S. Getting stronger by the day

wasp9166 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wasp9166 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wasp9166 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wasp9166 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wasp9166 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wasp9166 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wasp9166 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wasp9166 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wasp9166 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wasp9166 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wasp9166 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    always thought it was normal, you just taxed the sh!t out of your system, i'm always sleepy after lifting hard, especially leg day

Originally Posted by wasp9166 View Post
    always thought it was normal, you just taxed the sh!t out of your system, i'm always sleepy after lifting hard, especially leg day
    It depends I guess. If you can differentiate between being exhausted, tired in general, or flat out "I want to sleep". I think that a solid work-out by itself isn't something that should make you want to flat out sleep. Rest perhaps, sure. But not deep sleep.
    Personally - working out for me gives a kinda "high" that energizes the mind - even though the body is tired.
    Owner of:

www.MayfieldFitness.net

Author of:

― Alvin Toffler

motiva8 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) motiva8 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) motiva8 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) motiva8 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) motiva8 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) motiva8 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) motiva8 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) motiva8 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) motiva8 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) motiva8 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) motiva8 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Yeah agreed on the sodas, thankfully my mother didn't raise me on fizzy drinks & to this day i cannot stand coca cola/pepsi. I think its poisoned in sugar. Caffeine can be good before a workout, its a stimulant though how much of this actually helps muscle performance i don't know. The only caffeine i get in my diet is from coffee whereby its content is about as strong as a cup of black tea. Other than that its green tea for me & no caffeine so you're asking the wrong person.
    On a sidenote i just thought, are you hydrated enough? You'd be surprised at how being thirsty can kill your energy & be the cause of a lot of things like headaches etc. How much you should drink varies on size/temperature/exercise levels etc but definitely be aiming for a good 2.5L spread over the day & preferably not in the form of beverages.

usawinston is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) usawinston is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) usawinston is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) usawinston is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) usawinston is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) usawinston is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) usawinston is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) usawinston is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) usawinston is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) usawinston is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) usawinston is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'm not an expert, but in my experience, fatigue post-workout is commonly caused due to dehydration.

Originally Posted by motiva8 View Post
    Yeah agreed on the sodas, thankfully my mother didn't raise me on fizzy drinks & to this day i cannot stand coca cola/pepsi. I think its poisoned in sugar. Caffeine can be good before a workout, its a stimulant though how much of this actually helps muscle performance i don't know. The only caffeine i get in my diet is from coffee whereby its content is about as strong as a cup of black tea. Other than that its green tea for me & no caffeine so you're asking the wrong person.
    On a sidenote i just thought, are you hydrated enough? You'd be surprised at how being thirsty can kill your energy & be the cause of a lot of things like headaches etc. How much you should drink varies on size/temperature/exercise levels etc but definitely be aiming for a good 2.5L spread over the day & preferably not in the form of beverages.
    Sodas are fine in moderation. Sugar isn't poison. There are many reasons why traditional soft drinks are better not consumed but it's not because of sugar per say. Sodas with artificial sweeteners are much more suitable for the athletic population in general.
    Owner of:

www.MayfieldFitness.net

Author of:

― Alvin Toffler

I drink around 8-12 16 ounce bottles of water every day. I always thought I drink too much water and am constantly thirsty as well.
    Thanks again for all of the info and help everyone is giving me, really appreciate it.

Originally Posted by ArchangelEST View Post
    Sodas are fine in moderation. Sugar isn't poison. There are many reasons why traditional soft drinks are better not consumed but it's not because of sugar per say. Sodas with artificial sweeteners are much more suitable for the athletic population in general.
    I didn't mean literal poison, i just meant they are disgustingly heaped in sugar. Either ways i avoid them, they're terrible for your teeth & i'm not a fan of the huge sugar dump. Similarly i'm not a huge fan of putting artifical sweeteners into my body, i'd rather take a fruit smoothie anyday over either.......actually just in general i try avoid processed sugary foods where possible bar the small indulgence of dark chocolate.

I drink around 8-12 16 ounce bottles of water every day. I always thought I drink too much water and am constantly thirsty as well.
    Thanks again for all of the info and help everyone is giving me, really appreciate it.
    I mean unless you're unknowingly diabetic, there is probably little to worry about drinking too much water. If your body wants water, take it in.

Originally Posted by motiva8 View Post
    I didn't mean literal poison, i just meant they are disgustingly heaped in sugar. Either ways i avoid them, they're terrible for your teeth & i'm not a fan of the huge sugar dump. Similarly i'm not a huge fan of putting artifical sweeteners into my body, i'd rather take a fruit smoothie anyday over either.......actually just in general i try avoid processed sugary foods where possible bar the small indulgence of dark chocolate.
    I agree that the sugar content is a bit excessively higher than is needed for good taste IMO. And yes, not too good for the teeth either. And obviously getting that many calories from basically just sugar is not something you can call a good approach to nutrition. However it's all context based and for anyone with any common sense, it shouldn't be a problem to use moderation.

However there is nothing wrong with artificial sweeteners, the research is pretty overwhelmingly for their safety. But if you have some solid research stating otherwise I'd love to see it.

Fruit smoothies and dark chocolate are good indeed. Dark chocolate I'd recommend in consuming more than small doses even.
    Owner of:

www.MayfieldFitness.net

Author of:

― Alvin Toffler

I'm VitaminVendetta PerpetualMotion's Avatar
    PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Fruit smoothies and dark chocolate are good indeed. Dark chocolate I'd recommend in consuming more than small doses even.
    Because dark chocolate is the bomb. But I do find it humorous when people somehow imply that dark chocolate is "healthier" than milk because of the antioxidants. BRB eating chocolate once a month and thinking it makes a huge difference if it's milk, white or dark.
    “Go back?" he thought. "No good at all! Go sideways? Impossible! Go forward? Only thing to do! On we go!" So up he got, and trotted along with his little sword held in front of him and one hand feeling the wall, and his heart all of a patter and a pitter.”

However there is nothing wrong with artificial sweeteners, the research is pretty overwhelmingly for their safety. But if you have some solid research stating otherwise I'd love to see it.

Its more a case of my allergies that i avoid artificial colouring/sweeteners etc. If any of the Aspartame hype is true, well hey least i'm avoiding it that way. As for dark chocolate 2x blocks a day , keeps cravings away & is minimal. I'm not going to lie though, the high level of anti-oxidants in dark chocolate is more of an excuse to eat it. There are many other good sources of anti-oxidants without the huge amounts of saturated fat & such.

hockeytownfan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hockeytownfan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hockeytownfan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hockeytownfan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hockeytownfan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hockeytownfan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hockeytownfan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hockeytownfan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hockeytownfan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hockeytownfan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hockeytownfan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Have you had any blood word done? I think a fasted blood glucose test would be in order.
    Detroit Red Wings~Kansas Jayhawks~Kansas City Chiefs~K.C. Royals

SmallTank has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I actually worked out this morning...I haven't done this in about 10 years...anyways...I would see your local osteopath...mine gave me Maxi Energy in capsule form..helps alot with fatigue after every workout...try melatonin 3mg before bed...or Gabba which puts your body to sleep and the latter for your mind.....my osteopath gave me Endura powder...think of it as Gatorade sugarfree powder but with 10x the amount of vitamins and mnerals...this REALLY helps..but keep in mind...this is me...ohh and this morning I had 2 eggs with small amount of butter(helps keep your Intestines lubed..lol) and a single hashbrown...I am at the gym 2 hours 2-3 times a week