Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000)

Sophie's (FINALLY) Not A Student!

My name is Sophie and I'm 27. I recently graduated with my Master's degree in nursing and am now a registered nurse. With any luck, I will be starting my first nursing job next month on my dream unit! Just a few more T's to cross and I's to dot first though.

I have been lifting weights on and off, though mostly off it seems, since 2003. There was a period during undergrad (2005-2009) that I was lifting pretty consistently and making some progress though my focus was more general health and fitness rather than powerlifting. Then I graduated and started working full time and consistency was still good until I changed jobs and started working 12 hour night shifts, then added nursing pre-reqs on top of that, followed by nursing school as well as working every other Saturday night. So glad those hectic days are behind me!

I have a few injuries/health issues to contend with when lifting. This is the short version. For a longer explanation see my first post of my last journal here.

GI Tract – Limited/severely slowed motility. Difficulty swallowing so regurgitation is common. Difficulty moving food through, so constipation is (VERY) common. Thought to be autoimmune. Also have a hiatal hernia, but it doesn't cause any issues.

Morton's neuroma – left foot. This hasn't bothered me for a couple years now.

Trigeminal neuralgia – seems to be controlled with medication right now. Unfortunately the medication makes me very tired and makes finding words in conversation/writing very difficult at times.

Extra lumbar vertebra – Contributes to excessive lordosis

Thoracic injury – Very limited flexion through thoracic spine

Ganglion cyst removed – right wrist. Limited extension because of scar tissue.
    Last edited by SophieM; 02-16-2015 at 12:32 PM.
    Me vs. Me: Lifting with UCTD: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170084343

Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I was wondering if I missed your new journal when I saw the link in the forum section. Glad to know I just caught your first post

IN!!!

Workout Log / Chat thread...Embrace the Dragon: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169711903

"If you truly seek understanding, then first, empty your cup!" – Unknown

*** Squat Quitter Crew ***
    *** Dragon Flags Crew ***

SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hey Art! It wasn't letting me post a new thread and was giving me errors. Come to find out it WAS posting new threads. Oops! Here now though!

~~~~~~

This is my current workout plan. It's more of a “general” routine right now as I'm not prepping for a powerlifting meet.

Squat focus - Quad strength since they seem to be one of my many weaknesses on squats. Also ankle mobility. Gym PR 125 lbs, Meet PR 120 lbs

Bench focus – Getting more comfortable at heavier weights. Pretty sure my LONG plateau is more mental than anything else. Gym and meet PR 95 lbs

Deadlift focus – More leg drive. Sumos and front squats will help with that. Gym and meet PR 225 lbs

Of note: All benches are paused and all deadlifts are reset.

ETA: Here's a link to my home gym set up.

Monday
    Heavy front squat (3x3)
    DB Bench Press (3x8)
    Sumo Deadlifts (5x5)
    Split squats or lunges
    Abs

Tuesday
    Steady state cardio (jogging or bike trainer)

Wednesday
    Heavy Bench Press (3x3)
    Deficit Deadlifts (3x5)
    "Volume" Squats (5x5 – haven't decided what kind of squat yet)
    Triceps extension or triceps pushdown
    DB or BB shoulders (military press and upright row)

Thursday
    HIIT (Tabata burpees)

Friday
    Heavy deadlifts (3x3)
    Pause squats (3x5)
    "Volume" bench press (5x5)
    DB Bent Row or or Chest supported row
    BB or DB curls

Saturday
    GPP (farmer walks, sled push/drag, KB swings)

Sunday
    Rest

While I have little difficulty maintaining consistency with lifting when my schedule isn't crazy, I would like to be just as consistent with my cardio and stretching/mobility work as well, the latter of which I will hopefully be doing daily. I am definitely looking forward to GPP day also. I LOVE farmer walks!

Diet wise, I function much better on a lower carb/ketogenic diet so am aiming to have one “high carb” meal a day, preferably dinner. We'll see how that goes. It seems easy in principle but I've never been able to make it actually work in practice.

I weighed 131.6 lbs this morning, though after 11 days on a cruise it's probably not the most accurate measure of where I actually am. I'm sure I'll lose some water weight in the next few days and have a better idea of where things currently sit weight wise next month when I weight/measure again.
    Last edited by SophieM; 02-16-2015 at 12:35 PM.
    Me vs. Me: Lifting with UCTD: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170084343

Week 1, Day 1

Feels good to be back! I was mildly worried about how today would go but it went pretty well.

Heavy front squat– This went well considering that it's been two weeks since I lifted.

45 lbs – 3
    65 lbs – 3
    75 lbs – 3
    75 lbs – 3
    75 lbs – 3 (ugly last rep)

DB Bench Press – As expected. I'll have to increase the reps again before moving up to the 30's though. Every time I've tried to move up to the 30's in the past, it just hasn't happened.

25 lbs – 8
    25 lbs – 8
    25 lbs – 8 (shaky last couple reps)

Sumo Deadlifts – Super light as I've never done them and am trying to get the form down and really use my legs more than my back like I usually do for conventional deadlifts. Gotta love bumper plates for that purpose.

65 lbs – 5
    95 lbs – 5 (too much back)
    65 lbs – 5
    75 lbs – 5

Split squats – Just using bodyweight. My balance is horrible. You'd never know I danced/dance by my balance.

BW – 5
    BW – 5
    BW – 5

Abs – Excited to do some direct ab work once a week.

Captains Chair Leg Raises – 10-10
    Cable Crunches – 50 lbs - 10-10

Then stretching/mobility. Art, here's a link to today's stretches. Don't know how I got so flexible. I swear it comes and goes!

Notes: As much s I hear "chest up" and "head up" as being cues for squats/deadlifts, I seem to arch my back too much using those cues. I am currently using a "back flat" cue and will see how that works.

Also, I'll have my dad take record next time. Cell phone pictures, and definitely videos, just don't cut it.

Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I HATE you!!!!!

Not srs...but I wish I was half as flexible as you. You are sooooo lucky that you can do a split and you have such a high arch with that back bridge.

Solid workout especially coming off of two weeks off on the cruise. I just realized I need to stay away from a cruise...between the alcohol they serve and those balconies looking so tempting to try drunk pull ups on...I'd get kicked off the boat. LOL.

So how was the cruise?
    Workout Log / Chat thread...Embrace the Dragon: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169711903

jrodri1234 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jrodri1234 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jrodri1234 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jrodri1234 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jrodri1234 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jrodri1234 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jrodri1234 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jrodri1234 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jrodri1234 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jrodri1234 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jrodri1234 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    nnnn since nurses need to stick together. What's your dream unit? Have you competed in a PL meet ?

thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    IN! Congrats again Sophie on the Master's and nursing cert!

Nice workout, good to see you back at it!
    Current PRs:
    Bench Press: 200x1
    Deads: 315x1
    Back Squats: 275x1

*Team Amazon* - Sisterhood of Iron
    *Log - There's a Ham in the Power Rack, Part II http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167311531

Originally Posted by Artemis00 View Post
    I HATE you!!!!!

Not srs...but I wish I was half as flexible as you. You are sooooo lucky that you can do a split and you have such a high arch with that back bridge.

Solid workout especially coming off of two weeks off on the cruise. I just realized I need to stay away from a cruise...between the alcohol they serve and those balconies looking so tempting to try drunk pull ups on...I'd get kicked off the boat. LOL.

So how was the cruise?
    Arching my back is something that comes natural. Keeping it flat on the other hand . . . .

Seriously though. I did cheerleading in elementary, baton from 3rd grade all through high school, started dance (including high kick) junior year of high school, then continued with ballroom and Latin dance once I graduated undergrad. I've HAD to be flexible.

Had to LOL about your cruise statements. The cost of alcohol would make the average person broke and enough drunk people fall off balconies that you wouldn't be the first. Seriously though, I LOVE cruises!

We hit some rough seas on the way back but other than that it was wonderful. Warm. New places. BEAUTIFUL scenery. Some of my favorite pictures:

This is in St. Maarten with the Grandeur of the Seas and Quantum of the Seas in the background.

Lunch at Seρor Frog's in Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas in the US Virgin Islands.

Just beautiful in Charlotte Amalie.

Originally Posted by jrodri1234 View Post
    nnnn since nurses need to stick together. What's your dream unit? Have you competed in a PL meet ?
    Geriatric psych.

I've done five meets I think. I see in your journal you want to do one this year. Why not now? You can lift more than the bar so you're good to go! I'm always the weakest one there but hopefully now that my schedule is less crazy that will change. My least meet I only lost my weight class by 40 lbs, so that was an improvement!

Originally Posted by thehobbes View Post
    IN! Congrats again Sophie on the Master's and nursing cert!

Nice workout, good to see you back at it!
    Thanks!

thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Beautiful pics OP!! Srs question, can you get some kind of cable/satellite on those ships and what about internet access? Alway blew my mind they had actual pools and water slides on those too.
    Current PRs:

*Log - There's a Ham in the Power Rack, Part II http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167311531

Beautiful pics OP!! Srs question, can you get some kind of cable/satellite on those ships and what about internet access? Alway blew my mind they had actual pools and water slides on those too.
    Yes, the ship has satellite TV with very limited channels. You can also buy internet access (which I did) but it's rather expensive. I needed it because of job related announcements/possibilities or probably wouldn't have spent the money on it.

The ship I was on didn't have any water slide, it does have a rock climbing wall though

Not this year, back in 2010.

It also has multiple hot tubs and pools.

Week 1, Day 2

Skipped this workout yesterday as I someone managed to tweak my neck on Tuesday and wanted to give it some time to feel better before working out again.

Heavy Bench Press - Not bad. I wanted to do my working sets at 85 lbs but only managed 80 lbs this week. We'll see what next week brings.

55 lbs - 3
    75 lbs - 3
    80 lbs - 3
    80 lbs - 3
    80 lbs - 3

Deficit Deadlifts - These were horrible. Grip was horrible and needed chalk. Weight felt super heavy. Just ugh.

155 lbs - 5
    155 lbs - 5
    155 lbs - 5

Volume Squats - Decided to do back squats and adjust my form. Stance is slightly wider with toes pointed out more. Instead of the cue"chest up" I'm using "flat back" and my form seems to be better. I'm SUPER weak this way though.

35 lbs - 5
    35 lbs - 5
    35 lbs - 5
    55 lbs - 5
    55 lbs - 5

Triceps Extension - Weight was way too light but I didn't feel like changing it. Next time.

13 lbs - 10
    13 lbs - 10
    13 lbs - 10

BB Shoulders - Military press followed upright row with no rest. I might have been able to do sets of 6-7 but wanted to start conservative.

35 lbs - 5
    35 lbs - 5
    35 lbs - 5

Then, did some stretching and messed around with my new toy, an ab wheel. Yeah, definitely going to need to work on that. New challenge I guess.

AND, here's the video.

Solid workout. Sucks about the dead lifts but they always seems to be hit or miss sometimes (at least for me). Not looking forward to getting back into doing those once I completely get over this cold.

HAHA, the ab wheel. I got one of those 3-4 years ago...can't even remember. I think I've only used it once or twice and never for legit reps. I really got to get that back out and play with it as well. I hear they are supposed to be good as an auxiliary exercises for pull ups since the pulling movement is similar.

Solid workout. Sucks about the dead lifts but they always seems to be hit or miss sometimes (at least for me). Not looking forward to getting back into doing those once I completely get over this cold.

HAHA, the ab wheel. I got one of those 3-4 years ago...can't even remember. I think I've only used it once or twice and never for legit reps. I really got to get that back out and play with it as well. I hear they are supposed to be good as an auxiliary exercises for pull ups since the pulling movement is similar.
    Hoping my actual deadlifts aren't as bad as decifits were. Haven't decided if I'm going to lift today when I get home from work or tomorrow. We'll see how I feel after work and go from there.

Interesting about the ab wheel/pull up connection. Will have to remember that. Need to start working on pull ups and chin ups more seriously again. I'd like to add them in to my meet prep routine but need to be able to do them first . . .

Getting ready to nap now as I've been up since before 4:30 am. At least I only work for 4 hours today!

Your bp looks like it has a really good arch. Squat form looks pretty good IMO.

That ab wheel thing gives me scary flashbacks. When I was a kid I was playing around like a little idiot on one of those small square skateboards on wheels (it's like a furniture mover I think), put knees on it and held when my hands, tipped over, didn't let go, busted out a bunch of my front teeth at the summer day camp - blood EVERYWHERE, kids and adults freaking out alike.
    Current PRs:

Your bp looks like it has a really good arch. Squat form looks pretty good IMO.

That ab wheel thing gives me scary flashbacks. When I was a kid I was playing around like a little idiot on one of those small square skateboards on wheels (it's like a furniture mover I think), put knees on it and held when my hands, tipped over, didn't let go, busted out a bunch of my front teeth at the summer day camp - blood EVERYWHERE, kids and adults freaking out alike.
    I arch as much as I can for bench. No clue how much that actually is though. Will have to get a video of it in a sports bra when it's not freezing in there. Or maybe later today since I'll be benching after deadlifts and squats. I should be warm by then.

We played with those square skateboard like things in gym class when I was in elementary! I don't remember if anyone got hurt (they must have). I know I definitely tipped over more than once. Then one year, they didn't have them anymore

But yes, the ab wheel is quite interesting. I can plop on my stomach quite nicely! Getting back up is a different story, that hasn't happened yet. Maybe by the end of the year. Maybe.

Workout coming up after a nap. I can tell my "off day" tomorrow is going to be spent shoveling. I wish winter would just go away already.

Week 1, Day 3 - With Shoveling!

Yeah, started out the day by shoveling, twice. The first time (around 7 am) was about an hour and the second time (around 1pm) maybe around 30-45 minutes. Luckily my neighbor had really helped me out but digging out most of the front of my car. Words cannot express how thankful I am for that! Saved me a good 30 minutes or more easily.

Then, after two naps, yes I napped each time I got in from shoveling, I finally got my lifting in. I would not recommend shoveling and then lifting, even with naps in between. Body was/is just TIRED and stiff. Need a hot soak or something.

Heavy Deadlift - Really wanted to start out with 3x3 at 185 lbs but only made it to 175 lbs. Considering I haven't deadlifted in about 3 weeks and I shoveled today, I won't complain. It could have been worse.

135 lbs - 3
    155 lbs - 3
    175 lbs - 3
    175 lbs - 3
    175 lbs - 3

Pause Squats - Never done these before so just used the blank bar. I used the clock on the wall to ensure that all pauses were at least 3 seconds. I wish my dad was recording so I could see form but he wasn't feeling well so I have no videos of today's workout. Hopefully next week.

35 lbs - 5
    35 lbs - 5
    35 lbs- 5

Volume Bench Press - Called it pretty good with the what on this. Not much to say really. Was experimenting a little with foot placement. Still not sure what I like best. I'll keeping messing around with it.

70 lbs - 5
    70 lbs - 5
    70 lbs - 5
    70 lbs - 5
    70 lbs - 5

DB Bent Row - These just always feel wrong. And my left side was just not really having it because of the shoveling. I'll probably stay at this weight for a while and just work on form and feeling it more.

33 lbs - 6
    33 lbs - 6
    33 lbs - 6

BB Curls - Made sure I came to full extension after each rep. Horrible at these. Definitely will be feeling it tomorrow.

35 lbs - 5
    35 lbs - 5
    35 lbs - 5

Finished it off with some stretching. Not a bad workout really.

Weekly Volume
    Squat - 2605 lbs
    Bench - 3460 lbs
    Deadlift - 7220 lbs
    Total - 13285 lbs

Thoughts for the Week - I had more DOMS than I was expecting and that's one reason I had two days between lifting. That won't happen this week. I need to go the gym for all my workouts and with my work schedule, I don't really have the option to be moving days around as much as I did this week.

I did stretch after each workout, which was good, but still need to work on mobility after workouts as well. Maybe I'll try to focus on getting that done this coming week as well as add in my day of steady state cardio on Tuesday.

The Coming Week - Here's the plan for the coming week
    Monday - Heavy squat, stretching, mobility (Pre-employment for nurse job)
    Tuesday - Steady state cardio, stretching, mobility (work 12-4 pm)
    Wednesday - Heavy bench, stretching, mobility (work 12-4 pm)
    Thursday - Off (work 12-4 pm)
    Friday - Heavy deadlift, stretching, mobility (work 12-4 pm)
    Saturday - Off (work 7p-7a)
    Sunday - Off (drive to Ohio)

Standingovation.jpg with the shoveling + workouts, that's easier said than done. Question about your 35lb bar cause I know we have the same Sumo rack - is your bar shorter or thinner to be 35? I have a regular 45lb oly bar and it fits perfectly in that thing.

Originally Posted by SophieM View Post
    We played with those square skateboard like things in gym class when I was in elementary! I don't remember if anyone got hurt (they must have). I know I definitely tipped over more than once. Then one year, they didn't have them anymore
    Sorry guys, that was all me. Actually saw those at the gym last night and it sent shivers down my spine, busting my teeth out like that was probably the worst pain I've ever felt in my life.
    Current PRs:

Yeah, started out the day by shoveling, twice. The first time (around 7 am) was about an hour and the second time (around 1pm) maybe around 30-45 minutes. Luckily my neighbor had really helped me out but digging out most of the front of my car. Words cannot express how thankful I am for that! Saved me a good 30 minutes or more easily.

Then, after two naps, yes I napped each time I got in from shoveling, I finally got my lifting in. I would not recommend shoveling and then lifting, even with naps in between. Body was/is just TIRED and stiff. Need a hot soak or something.

Volume Bench Press - Called it pretty good with the what on this. Not much to say really. Was experimenting a little with foot placement. Still not sure what I like best. I'll keeping messing around with it.
    Definitely a solid workout for that much shoveling. I was lucky the snow blower did most of the hard work for me...but I ended up taking a hot bath after I got in. I seriously can't stand how my thighs feel after being out in the cold for so long. I don't have it happen with any other body part...but just the feeling of the leg being so cold in a warm house feels so weird. Can't blame you with that nap...all I really want to do after shoveling is downing some warm soup and take a nap.

I'm actually doing the same thing right now with my bench. You would think after a while you would get set...but I keep tweaking trying to find out what it comfortable and works. Went from flat footed to on my toes and now I'm back to flat footed.

Week 2, Day 1

Standingovation.jpg with the shoveling + workouts, that's easier said than done. Question about your 35lb bar cause I know we have the same Sumo rack - is your bar shorter or thinner to be 35? I have a regular 45lb oly bar and it fits perfectly in that thing.

Sorry guys, that was all me. Actually saw those at the gym last night and it sent shivers down my spine, busting my teeth out like that was probably the worst pain I've ever felt in my life.
    I think it's a little thinner, though it may be a tad shorter also. The bar I use for bench is definitely shorter. Not sure about the one I used for squats though. I'll have to check next time I'm down there.

Yes, please stay away from all things on wheels. No more face plants!

Definitely a solid workout for that much shoveling. I was lucky the snow blower did most of the hard work for me...but I ended up taking a hot bath after I got in. I seriously can't stand how my thighs feel after being out in the cold for so long. I don't have it happen with any other body part...but just the feeling of the leg being so cold in a warm house feels so weird. Can't blame you with that nap...all I really want to do after shoveling is downing some warm soup and take a nap.

I'm actually doing the same thing right now with my bench. You would think after a while you would get set...but I keep tweaking trying to find out what it comfortable and works. Went from flat footed to on my toes and now I'm back to flat footed.
    No snow blower here I wouldn't have even bothered if 1) it wasn't mandatory for you to clear your sidewalks and 2) I needed to get out today. But, since I didn't really have a choice, and I don't want my dad doing it, that left me. And my neighbor thankfully!

I've gone from flat, to toes, back to flat also. Now I seem to messing with foot placement. Still flat footed though.

~~~~~~

Workout - Wasn't bad today. No real complaints.

Heavy Front Squats - I'm almost positive this is the most weight I've done for front squats. I guess that makes it my 1, 2, and 3 rep max at the moment. LOL.

60 lbs - 3
    70 lbs - 3
    80 lbs - 3
    80 lbs - 1
    80 lbs - 2

DB Bench Press - Adding reps to these for now. I'll probably work up to at least 12-15 reps before moving to the 30's. The 30's always trip me up for some reason.

25 lbs - 10
    25 lbs - 10
    25 lbs - 10

Sumo Deadlift - I might be getting the hang of these! I think having a mirror for these really helps right now. I tried both a moderate and a wider stance and I think the wider stance is better so I'll stick with that from now on.

75 lbs - 5 (moderate stance)
    75 lbs - 5 (wider stance from here on out)
    75 lbs - 5
    75 lbs - 5
    75 lbs - 5

Lunges - No weight yet, just body weight. Working on balance.

BW - 5
    BW - 5
    BW - 5

Abs - Will superset two rounds of this next week. I was trying to keep my workout under and hour and didn't realize how much time i had left. I could have done another round. Next time.

Captain's chair leg raises - 10
    DB Twists - 25 lbs - 10
    DB Side Bends - 25 lbs - 10
    Cable Crunches - 60 lbs 10

Then some stretching and ankle mobility work. I think I might be making progress on the ankles! I really need to buy a goniometer to check though. Maybe that will be my next purchase.

And here's the video:

You really look a lot more comfortable form wise doing front squats than back squats. DL looks good to me! That's a nice gym OP.
    Current PRs:

Cardio. . .

You really look a lot more comfortable form wise doing front squats than back squats. DL looks good to me! That's a nice gym OP.
    I've been told that before about my front squats. They definitely don't feel more comfortable though!

I really like this gym. No frills. No cardio bunnies. Just lots of weight and good music

~~~~~~

First day doing cardio in a while and I could tell. WOW I decondition quickly!! I'll be doing cardio again on Thursday and will do do cardio twice next week as well. Hopefully that will allow me to gain some conditioning back before starting HIIT.

30 minutes on the bike trainer
    5.59 miles
    11 mph average pace
    16.5 max speed (sprinting the last ~15 seconds)
    168 max HR
    142 average HR

Followed by stretching and ankle mobility work.

Neck Strain . . . Again

So, I think I figured out what's causing the neck pain. I'm pretty sure I'm straining it doing front squats. I need to keep my neck neutral this coming Monday and see if that solves the problem. Resting today to give it a chance to heal. Will do today's workout tomorrow and ideally Friday's workout Friday. I should be able to get in another day of steady state cardio Saturday to round out the week.

Given the weather, it looks like I won't be going to Ohio on Sunday It makes it easier for me but I really wanted one last visit before I started working as I don't know when I'm going to get the chance again. Maybe the weather will look better before then. The way it keeps changing you never know!

So, I think I figured out what's causing the neck pain. I'm pretty sure I'm straining it doing front squats. I need to keep my neck neutral this coming Monday and see if that solves the problem. Resting today to give it a chance to heal. Will do today's workout tomorrow and ideally Friday's workout Friday. I should be able to get in another day of steady state cardio Saturday to round out the week.

Given the weather, it looks like I won't be going to Ohio on Sunday It makes it easier for me but I really wanted one last visit before I started working as I don't know when I'm going to get the chance again. Maybe the weather will look better before then. The way it keeps changing you never know!
    Sorry to hear about the neck strain...see I knew all squats are evil

And that sucks regarding Ohio. This winter has been ridiculous with the weather. Insane everywhere.

Sorry to hear about the neck strain...see I knew all squats are evil

And that sucks regarding Ohio. This winter has been ridiculous with the weather. Insane everywhere.
    Yes! (Front) squats are evil!! With my new back squat stance, it's too light to be evil LOL. I can now (almost) take a deep breath without my neck hurting. Granted, it took NSAID's to do that, but still. Progress!!

And now the weather when I was planning to go to Ohio looks better. <sigh> They have no idea what's going to happen.

Planning on lifting when I get home from work. Also plan on walking to/from work so I don't lose my parking spot. Gotta love on street parking! I'll consider walking home a warm up to my workout.

Week 2, Day 2

Today was a pretty good workout! I was very happy with how things went.

Heavy Bench Press - Despite missing my last rep due to getting out of the groove on the decent, these felt good. I think I found a good foot placement that really seems to help also. Still planning on increase by 2.5 lbs (total) next week.

65 lbs - 3
    75 lbs - 3
    85 lbs - 3
    85 lbs - 3
    85 lbs - 2

Deficit Deadlift - Skipped these today. I could see them possibly hurting my neck (which has JUST stopped hurting) and I plan on doing heavy deadlifts tomorrow and don't want to negatively impact that workout. I might do them on Saturday, before cardio.

Volume Squats - OMG I think this is the "right" squat form for me. These felt great. I kept increasing the weight. Even messed around with how some heavier singles felt at the end. Excited about where these could be at the end of the cycle!

65 lbs - 5
    65 lbs - 5
    65 lbs - 5
    75 lbs - 5
    80 lbs - 5
    80 lbs - 1 (3 second pause, even forgot and breathed in the hole)
    105 lbs - 1
    115 lbs - 1 (only 10 lbs away from my PR and I've been using this form only since last week)

DB Triceps Extension - I was supposed to go to the gym for this workout but stayed home so did these again, just more reps.

13 lbs - 15
    13 lbs - 15
    13 lbs - 15

High Front Raises - Got the idea from Artemis. Basically a front raise but you continue the motion until your arms are overhead. I like them!

13 lbs - 8
    13 lbs - 8
    13 lbs - 8

Finished it off with a quick stretch and some ankle mobility.

Notes: So, like I said, I'm really pleased with how things went. No video as I figured it would be too similar to last week. I'll get a video tomorrow and definitely of this workout next week!

Also have decided to do volume for front squats and my heavy day with my new squat form. I can't chance tweaking my neck again and think I will get more benefit this way. Not to mention I want to see what i can do with heavier weights with this new form
    Last edited by SophieM; 02-26-2015 at 03:48 PM.

Congrats on a great workout and finding a form that works for you with squats.

I'm happy for you even if it may eventually mean you will be leaving the <<< I Hate Squats Crew >>>

Week 2, Day 3

Congrats on a great workout and finding a form that works for you with squats.

I'm happy for you even if it may eventually mean you will be leaving the <<< I Hate Squats Crew >>>
    I don't think I'm leaving the <<< I Hate Squats Crew >>> any time soon

~~~~~~

Today's workout wasn't bad. My squats didn't go as well as I would have liked but considering I squatted yesterday "heavy" for the first time, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Heavy Deadlift - These went well.

140 lbs - 3
    160 lbs - 3
    180 lbs - 3
    185 lbs - 3
    185 lbs - 3

Pause Squats - Form need works. I think these will be helpful though once I can improve the form.

75 lbs - 5
    65 lbs - 5
    65 lbs - 5

Volume Bench Press - Pretty consistent bar speed throughout all five sets. I was happy.

75 lbs - 5
    75 lbs - 5
    75 lbs - 5
    75 lbs - 5
    75 lbs - 5

Chest Supported Row - Feels like I should have more ROM but just can't with this machine. Will see how it treats me and reevaluate whether to keep it in after this cycle.

20 lbs - 5
    20 lbs - 5
    20 lbs - 5

DB Curls - Not much to say. They're curls. Still do this weird elbow thing when I start getting tired. Maybe need to drop the reps or weight and see what's going on there.

15 lbs - 8
    15 lbs - 8
    15 lbs - 8

Finished with stretching and ankle mobility. I bought a goniometer from Amazon today so I can measure my ankle flexibility. It should be here next week. Rather excited to finally have one as I've been wanting to have one for years.

And the video

Week in Review - This week went well. I'll finish up tomorrow with another ~30 minute cardio workout and possibly the deficit deadlifts I skipped yesterday as well. No DOMS really this week which was surprising.

Current Weekly Volume - I'll update tomorrow if I get the deficits in.

Squat - 3945 lbs
    Bench - 3725 lbs
    Deadlift - 4425 lbs
    Total - 12095 lbs

Coming Up Next Week - Right now it's looking like I'm not going to Ohio because of a snow storm. If I end up going, things will change a little. If I don't go, here's the schedule.

Monday - Heavy squat, stretching, mobility
    Tuesday - Steady state cardio, stretching, mobility
    Wednesday - Heavy bench, stretching, mobility
    Thursday - Steady state cardio, stretching, mobility (Orientation)
    Friday - Heavy deadlift, stretching, mobility (Orientation)
    Saturday - GPP(?)
    Sunday - Off

Nice work on that deadlift of peace!
    Given the weather, it looks like I won't be going to Ohio on Sunday
    Come save us
    Current PRs:

ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Awesome that you felt something click in the squats . Your sumo tech looks really really good btw, that looks like it has a lot of potential for you.
    CSCS

845@132 | Wilks 429.55
    Meet lifts : Squat 275 | Bench 170 | Dead 400

Journal : http://tinyurl.com/80s-lifting-journal

mom to 3 boys / spend my life at grocery store crew

kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Nice job with those deadlifts - they looked fast with a lot more in the tank.
    My powerlifting journal:
    Adaptation ~ http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169905603