Still Just An Anagram maltanarchy's Avatar
    maltanarchy will become famous soon enough. (+50) maltanarchy will become famous soon enough. (+50) maltanarchy will become famous soon enough. (+50) maltanarchy will become famous soon enough. (+50) maltanarchy will become famous soon enough. (+50) maltanarchy will become famous soon enough. (+50) maltanarchy will become famous soon enough. (+50) maltanarchy will become famous soon enough. (+50) maltanarchy will become famous soon enough. (+50) maltanarchy will become famous soon enough. (+50) maltanarchy will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Does a Piriformis Injury Turn Into Sciatica Pain?

I think I strained my Pirifomis muscle while playing baseball. I may have kinda ran full speed without being warmed up.

So, the muscle pain has been lessening with rest. Now, its sucks to sit in the car for longer periods of time. Today, I swear the top of my right foot was numb. This all sounds like the stereotypical sciatica pain. From what I have been reading it might be Piriformis Syndrome. However, I'm not clear on how that is different from sciatica pain.

Either way, I know that piriformis stretches are recommended. They feel good. I'm also foam rolling with my right leg crossed up on the left - - to hit the pirifomis. What can I do to strengthen this muscle? Can I do light weight squats? What will help it?

(This all assumes my self diagnosis is correct)
    Jan 2010: 210 lbs
    Dec 2010: 145lbs
    Feb 2011 - July 2011: Rotator Cuff Injury
    July 2011: Back to weights
    Current Goal: Build some strength

Just eat less? Who knew it was so easy to NOT be fat?

LuWellness is on a distinguished road. (+10) LuWellness is on a distinguished road. (+10) LuWellness is on a distinguished road. (+10) LuWellness is on a distinguished road. (+10) LuWellness is on a distinguished road. (+10) LuWellness is on a distinguished road. (+10) LuWellness is on a distinguished road. (+10) LuWellness is on a distinguished road. (+10) LuWellness is on a distinguished road. (+10) LuWellness is on a distinguished road. (+10) LuWellness is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Stick to stretching and lengthening the Piriformis. Chances are the muscle is already hypertonic enough and doesn't need strengthening.
    Weightlifting Coach & Manual Therapist
    http://www.LuStrengthTherapy.com

maltanarchy will become famous soon enough. (+50) maltanarchy will become famous soon enough. (+50) maltanarchy will become famous soon enough. (+50) maltanarchy will become famous soon enough. (+50) maltanarchy will become famous soon enough. (+50) maltanarchy will become famous soon enough. (+50) maltanarchy will become famous soon enough. (+50) maltanarchy will become famous soon enough. (+50) maltanarchy will become famous soon enough. (+50) maltanarchy will become famous soon enough. (+50) maltanarchy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by LuWellness View Post
    Stick to stretching and lengthening the Piriformis. Chances are the muscle is already hypertonic enough and doesn't need strengthening.
    Ok. Cool thanks.

Its such an odd pain. It's like it hurts, but I don't know what exactly exacerbates it. You think I should stay away from all lower body work?

LuWellness is on a distinguished road. (+10) LuWellness is on a distinguished road. (+10) LuWellness is on a distinguished road. (+10) LuWellness is on a distinguished road. (+10) LuWellness is on a distinguished road. (+10) LuWellness is on a distinguished road. (+10) LuWellness is on a distinguished road. (+10) LuWellness is on a distinguished road. (+10) LuWellness is on a distinguished road. (+10) LuWellness is on a distinguished road. (+10) LuWellness is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by maltanarchy View Post
    Ok. Cool thanks.

Its such an odd pain. It's like it hurts, but I don't know what exactly exacerbates it. You think I should stay away from all lower body work?
    It really depends on your goal. I would still continue with lower body exercises, but spend much more time with the actual condition itself. I usually dedicate one day a week to "prehab" (pre rehab!), and that's when I strengthen and stretch all the muscles that I need to. And because you mentioned that it's such an odd pain, but you know know what exacerbates it, makes me think it may be something else. If it's actually Piriformis Syndrome, you should experience the symptoms of Sciatica (sharp pain down the back of the leg, numbness, tingling, etc). Give me more details on the pain, and where it is and it might give me a better understanding of what it is.

It really depends on your goal. I would still continue with lower body exercises, but spend much more time with the actual condition itself. I usually dedicate one day a week to "prehab" (pre rehab!), and that's when I strengthen and stretch all the muscles that I need to. And because you mentioned that it's such an odd pain, but you know know what exacerbates it, makes me think it may be something else. If it's actually Piriformis Syndrome, you should experience the symptoms of Sciatica (sharp pain down the back of the leg, numbness, tingling, etc). Give me more details on the pain, and where it is and it might give me a better understanding of what it is.
    The pain is mostly in the muscle. I put the red dot where about where I'm feeling it...
    Gluteus-Maximus-Pain.jpg

Most of the time I can ignore it. It hurts worst in the car for more than 1 hour. I thought it felt tight last week when I did Bent Over Rows. I then took the rest of the week off. I did BORs this week and it seemed fine. I didn't work out this morning. I'm thinking of doing lower body tomorrow with lighter weights to see how it goes.

I don't really have any numbness, but yesterday the top of my right foot felt funny when I was in my 4th hour behind the wheel. I don't normally drive this much for work, but the past week has been brutal. Normally I drive a few hours per week, not per day.

The pain is mostly in the muscle. I put the red dot where about where I'm feeling it...
    Attachment 4749373

Most of the time I can ignore it. It hurts worst in the car for more than 1 hour. I thought it felt tight last week when I did Bent Over Rows. I then took the rest of the week off. I did BORs this week and it seemed fine. I didn't work out this morning. I'm thinking of doing lower body tomorrow with lighter weights to see how it goes.

I don't really have any numbness, but yesterday the top of my right foot felt funny when I was in my 4th hour behind the wheel. I don't normally drive this much for work, but the past week has been brutal. Normally I drive a few hours per week, not per day.
    Sounds like it's something else. The red dot in the picture is exactly where the Sacroiliac (SI) joint is, and it's very common to have pain there for various reasons. One of the main reasons why people have SI joint pain is their pelvis is excessively rolled forward (anterior pelvic tilt). Do you notice an excessive arch in your lower back?

Sounds like it's something else. The red dot in the picture is exactly where the Sacroiliac (SI) joint is, and it's very common to have pain there for various reasons. One of the main reasons why people have SI joint pain is their pelvis is excessively rolled forward (anterior pelvic tilt). Do you notice an excessive arch in your lower back?
    Nah, my lower back is pretty flat.

Maybe I drew the dot a bit high, but the painful area is very close to my tailbone... On the right side.

Nah, my lower back is pretty flat.

Maybe I drew the dot a bit high, but the painful area is very close to my tailbone... On the right side.
    Sounds like it's the Piriformis then. Just stick to what I told you, and do a light leg workout tomorrow and see how it feels. Keep me updated.

Sounds like it's the Piriformis then. Just stick to what I told you, and do a light leg workout tomorrow and see how it feels. Keep me updated.
    What lead me piriformis was that it 1) hurts mostly when sitting and 2) that the various piriformis stretches feel good on the painful area.

I still don't think I get wether the pain is coming from the muscle or the nerve... But I guess that doesn't matter too much as long as the various stretches and rolling helps.

What lead me piriformis was that it 1) hurts mostly when sitting and 2) that the various piriformis stretches feel good on the painful area.

I still don't think I get wether the pain is coming from the muscle or the nerve... But I guess that doesn't matter too much as long as the various stretches and rolling helps.
    To be honest, everything is muscle related. Sooner or later you will develop trigger points within the muscle, and that could cause other symptoms. If it's nerve related, you will have symptoms such as sharp shooting pain, loss of sensation and nubmness.

To be honest, everything is muscle related. Sooner or later you will develop trigger points within the muscle, and that could cause other symptoms. If it's nerve related, you will have symptoms such as sharp shooting pain, loss of sensation and nubmness.
    Did my lower body work today. Kept the weights low. I noticed the muscle when testing with SLDLs and when testing with deadlifts. I was aware of the muscle that wasn't 100%, but I wouldn't call it pain. I'm wondering if its a high hamstring strain.

Whatever it is, I'll keep stretching and rolling that whole area from my butt down to near my knees.