Thread: Jenn's Keto Log

jenuwin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Jenn's Keto Log

Hi everyone,

This is my first time doing the keto diet. Let's hope it goes well!

My stats:
    21 y/o
    Female
    5'3"
    125 lb (LBM: ~91 lb)
    BMR = ~1750 kcal
    Aiming for a 500 calorie deficit
    I try to run for at least 20 minutes a day. Right now, I'm also doing the 30 Day Shred.
    Don't have a goal weight. I'm just hoping to lower my BF and actually see a difference.

07/21/2012
    My last day of eating carbs, so I ate whatever I wanted. I stopped eating at 6PM.

Day 1: 07/22/2012
    Woke up around 1PM.. did the 30 Day Shred. I would have opted for HIIT, but it was way too hot to go running.
    - Drink 1 tbsp of coconut oil before I started cooking my late lunch
    - Late lunch (3PM): 3 eggs, 2 strips of bacon, 4 oz. of salmon
    - 1 multivitamin pill
    - Late dinner (9PM): 4 oz. of chicken breast cooked in 1 tbsp EVOO and 175g of avocado

Total calories: 1238
    Net carbs = 7g = 19 carbs - 12 dietary fiber
    Fat = 90g
    Protein = 83g
    Exercise = -167

I'm going to be eating about 1500 calories once I start incorporating veggies (starting the 3rd or 4th day)

Just FYI, I cooked my eggs and salmon with the oil from my bacon strips to keep it as fatty as possible.
    1. Put one bacon strip on the pan... take it out when it's done. There should be tons of leftover oil in the pan.
    2. Cook eggs (I scrambled them)... take it out when it's done.
    3. Put the other bacon strip on the pan... take it out when it's done.
    4. Throw meat in... cook until it's done.
    It was delicious. Looking forward to eating it again tomorrow!

Day 2: 07/23/2012
    - Drink 1 tbsp of coconut oil
    - Lunch (1PM): 3 eggs, 2 strips of bacon, 4 oz. of salmon
    - Snack (6PM): Starbucks - tall americano with sugar free cinnamon dolce syrup and 1/2 an inch of heavy whipping cream
    - Dinner (7PM): 4 oz. of chicken breast cooked in 1 tbsp EVOO and 100g of avocado

Total calories: 1197.. will be higher in a few days.
    Net carbs = 13g carbs - 7 dietary fiber = 6g
    Fat = 92g
    Protein = 80g
    Exercise = 0

Sigh. It's almost that time of the month for me, so I'm craving things that I don't usually crave. -.-

Anyway, I was craving sweets today. I was on Google searching for a keto-friendly Starbucks drink because I wanted coffee, and it happened to be an Americano. I'm not sure that I liked my drink very much. I don't know if it's because of the sugar-free syrup... or because of the flavor of the syrup (cinnamon dolce). It wasn't unbearable, but I'd prefer never to have it again. I could barely taste the cinnamon. It was just weird. It could also be that I asked for half an inch of heavy whipping cream. Maybe that was too much. I wasn't really sure how much to ask for.

Well, I decided to make my own coffee at home this week. I could experiment with different amounts of ingredients at a fraction of the cost.

I am cold brewing my coffee right now. I also made sugar-free flavored syrup. It's basically 1 cup water + 1 cup Splenda + a flavor extract of your choice. I decided to go with vanilla bean because I love vanilla, and it was really the only thing I had on hand. The final product by itself tasted okay. It reminded me of the strange after taste of my Starbucks drink. : ( Must be the Splenda. Maybe, I'll like it better with the coffee though. I shall report back tomorrow.
    Last edited by jenuwin; 07-24-2012 at 01:49 AM.

Day 3: 07/24/2012
    - Drank 1 tbsp of coconut oil
    - Lunch: 2 eggs, 2 strips of bacon, 4 oz. of salmon, 3 five inch diameter low carb pancakes (very tasty but very high in calories o_o)
    - Dinner: 4 oz. of chicken breast cooked in 1 tbsp EVOO
    - Late snack (pulling an all nighter): 16 oz. cold brewed coffee + 1 tbsp heavy cream + 1.5 tbsp sugar free vanilla syrup.

This coffee is DELICIOUS. YUM.

Total calories: 1479
    Net carbs = 5g carbs - 7 dietary fiber = -2? ... Is this possible?
    Fat = 113g
    Protein = 103g
    Exercise = 0
    Last edited by jenuwin; 07-24-2012 at 07:49 PM.

yabbyshmabby is on a distinguished road. (+10) yabbyshmabby is on a distinguished road. (+10) yabbyshmabby is on a distinguished road. (+10) yabbyshmabby is on a distinguished road. (+10) yabbyshmabby is on a distinguished road. (+10) yabbyshmabby is on a distinguished road. (+10) yabbyshmabby is on a distinguished road. (+10) yabbyshmabby is on a distinguished road. (+10) yabbyshmabby is on a distinguished road. (+10) yabbyshmabby is on a distinguished road. (+10) yabbyshmabby is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by jenuwin View Post
    Anyway, I was craving sweets today. I was on Google searching for a keto-friendly Starbucks drink because I wanted coffee, and it happened to be an Americano. I'm not sure that I liked my drink very much. I don't know if it's because of the sugar-free syrup... or because of the flavor of the syrup (cinnamon dolce). It wasn't unbearable, but I'd prefer never to have it again. I could barely taste the cinnamon. It was just weird. It could also be that I asked for half an inch of heavy whipping cream. Maybe that was too much. I wasn't really sure how much to ask for.
    If I decide to splurge and go to Starbucks I'll get a Large sugar free vanilla late with all heavy cream. Of course, that may be more calories than you can consume in an entire day, but I'll have one maybe once every couple months. When I'm at home I just keep heavy cream in the fridge to add to my coffee. Heavy cream or whipping cream curbs your sweet tooth.

Originally Posted by yabbyshmabby View Post
    When I'm at home I just keep heavy cream in the fridge to add to my coffee. Heavy cream or whipping cream curbs your sweet tooth.
    Yeah, I've been doing that along with some sugar-free syrup. I actually like it very much. I'm not a coffee addict though. I cold brewed about 8 cups just because it's finals week. Figured it would come in handy, and it did help curb my sugar craving.

--

Kind of cheated yesterday, but I don't think it kicked me out of keto. Can't be sure though.

Day 4: 07/25/2012
    - Lunch: 3 eggs, 2 strips of bacon, 4 oz. of chicken breast; all cooked in bacon grease
    - Snack: My friend dragged me to Yogurtland. I tried to look up information about this before I indulged, so I felt fairly eating it. I had approximately 3 oz. of the chocolate twilight (13 carbs; also sugar-free) and 2 oz. of the salted caramel pecan (10 carbs; SO delicious but not sugar free) and 1 oz. of strawberries (2 carbs) That alone put me at 25 carbs... so I was really careful not to eat anymore carbs for the day BUT... I got dragged to In-N-Out too
    - Dinner: In-N-Out - protein style burger (lettuce, onion, tomato, chopped pepper, a single patty, and cheese) with no sauce (11 carbs)
    - Late snack (pulled an all nighter again): 16 oz. cold brewed coffee + 1 tbsp heavy cream + 1.5 tbsp sugar free vanilla syrup.

Total calories: 1045
    Net carbs = 37g carbs - 5g dietary fiber = 34g
    Fat = 66g
    Protein = 76g
    Exercise = 0

--

And this is why I've been trying to eat only my pre-planned meals. It's really hard for me to eat enough calories and hit my macros when I deviate. -_- And I consume excess carbs... I usually have better control than this. I just figured that since I'm allowed 20-30 carbs... maybe it's okay.

--

I think I was/am in ketosis. I didn't get an induction flu or anything though. I'm taking the fact that I'm losing some weight as a sign that I'm in keto because I don't really have the bad breath thing going on or metallic/sweet taste in my mouth. I also don't want to buy ketostix because I'm probably going to be obsessed with them for a while.

--

I've been considering just being on a low carb diet rather than this super low carb keto diet.

Before I started this, my usual macros were 70g carbs, 37g fat, and 78g protein. The carbs came from salad, a fruit, white rice, and my favorite cracker snack I'm thinking of just keeping the "bad" carbs out of my diet and bumping up the fat. Or... if I do eat bad carbs, I would just make sure to stay under the allotted grams of carbs for the day. <-- Is that "legal"?

I'm thinking I could work with a diet like 50% fat / 30% protein / 20% carbs. But I'm curious... since I most likely will not be in keto and my body isn't necessarily in "burn fat mode" anymore, will my body retain the fat that I'm eating... or what happens to it?! I tried to look up this information, but I'm just finding a bunch of threads titled "low carb but not in keto" lol. Anyway, I'm just considering the change because I don't think I can keep up with this keto diet. It's kind of too restricting, which is fine for the short run, but I'm ultimately looking for a diet that works for me in the long run. I must say that I learned a lot though. (: I've never been SO aware of carbs in my life.

It just saddens me that I can't really eat my favorite foods when I want to... and people say you stop craving carbs or something, but I don't think that's my issue. I just miss eating my favorite foods! I eat things like Yogurtland like once every 2-4 weeks. I like an occasional passion tea lemonade from Starbucks. I eat cake like every 3 months. I have gone like six months without bread (not crazy about it). So... maybe, I don't really need to be on this keto diet? Or am I making excuses for myself?!

I guess I started the diet because it was just interesting and I hit a plateau for a long time. I mean I'm really just 10 pounds from my goal weight. I figured that if I start this diet, I should be able to achieve 115 easy. But, when I come off the diet, I know that my weight will probably increase. So, maybe, I should try to do something else even though the progress will be slower so that the weight loss is semi-permanent.

Hmmm, I don't know. I'm just thinking out loud, lol.

spanishricer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spanishricer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spanishricer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spanishricer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spanishricer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spanishricer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spanishricer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spanishricer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spanishricer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spanishricer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spanishricer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Keto isn't for people looking for short term solutions to weight loss. It's really more of a lifestyle change. If you're dedicated to looking and feeling better, then you'll make the sacrifices necessary to reach your goals.

That being said, it's not like you can't eat your favorite foods EVER! If you're doing CKD, then you still have your weekly "refeed" or "carb up" days. Use these days as a type of release, and enjoy the foods you've been depriving yourself throughout the week.

Pishko has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pishko has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pishko has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pishko has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pishko has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You should update your thread.