Haven't been on bodybuilding forums for a while due to work and personal commitments, but really wanted to post a review on Matador from Anabolic Designs, and will also be posting a full log in a week or so for Anabolic Design's Taurotest. Joe Binley the owner and CEO of Anabolic Designs has released some really cutting edge supplements recently and i wanted to put some through their paces and see what all the fuss was about. Joe is a really cool guy and keen to engage with 'fans' of the brand and actively promotes feedback, something not common in the supplement industry.
I love this type of supplement and have been keeping a keen eye on the release, and thanks to the guys at Cardiff Sports Nutrition i got my Matador on its first day of release, these guys were super quick and gave awesome service, it was my first time using them and i was very impressed. This gave me about 2 weeks of use before any of the other supplement sites were making Matador available, so now i have run a whole tub for around 24 days (some days didnt have two doses).
I'm not going to copy the entire Product Description , if you want to see it go to the Anabolic Design website (i cant post links yet, dont have enough posts)
The key points to Matador are:
Lower Fat storage
Improve Muscle Nutrient Uptake
Improve Insulin Sensitivity
Increase uptake of creatine and amino acids
Stabilise blood sugar and reduce insulin spikes
I have had good results in the past with Glycobol, and have also done research into Insulin response and extensive personal experimentation with different types of ALA and carb sources. These supplements are often called 'Glucose Disposal Agents' (GDA), Insulin mimickers, and insulin potentiators...but to put in in simple terms the ingredient profile is designed to balance blood sugar, increase insulin sensitity, and promote glucagon storage in the muscle. I personally like to refer to the as recomp supplements. As a natural bodybuilder i need all the help i get in gaining lean muscle and especially when cutting, which is why i love this type of supplement because its a double edged sword, perfect for cutting or bulking...win win!
Glycobol has the following profile:
Glycobol Complex TM 750mg
Trigonella Seed Isolate (standardized to 10% 4-hydroxyisoleucine),
Phellodendron extract (standardized to 90% berberine),
Cinnamon Bark 20:1 extract (standardized for 16% flavonoids),
Matador has the following profile:
Vitamin C (as ascorbic acid) 300mg
Vitamin D3 5mcg
Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine HCL) 5mg
Copper (as citrate) 2mg
Chromium (as polynicotinate) 500mg
Insudrive Blend 500mg
- R-isomer Alpha Lipoic Acid, Gymnema Sylvestre 4:1
Glycoform Blend 550mg
- Cinnamon bark, Fenugreek, Bitter Melon, Prickly Pear, Banaba, 4-HydroxyIsoleucine
With ALA and Cinnamon Bark (both well known to assist with blood sugar irregularity) as the common and 'main' ingredients. I particularly like the inclusion of Fenugreek in Matador, i am a huge fan of fenugreek...and cinnamon. Prickly pair is also an interesting one, any of you who have holidayed in places like Cyprus will have seen these growing in abundance all around, and even as an ice cream flavour or eaten as normal fruit (after removing the spikes and skin). Gymnema Sylvestre is also a very nice inclusion, and in the past i have had some great results with fat burners containing this.
Ok so i started Matador after a 'cutting phase' i went down from my annual bodyfat of 10% to 8%, and what i wanted to do was to try and gain some lean muscle tissue whilst on a calorie surplus. First i need to point out i am very lucky, i have a very good metabolism, which i attribute to years of physical activity.(my parents got me started on Judo and Gymnastics at 5years old and i havent been able to sit still for long ever since). I do however suffer from the typical hormonal 'love handle' syndrome even at low bodyfat, something generally associated with Insulin and high carb intake. I have been 6% bodyfat with paper thin skin and still visible love handles......very annoying!!!
These are what i consider to be the best ways to use this, i personally believe in eating my simple carb sources around periods of insulin sensitivity, i.e breakfast (after fasting for 8hours etc), pre workout (when i know the carbs wont be stored as fat, although i prefer complex carbs preworkout in general), and especially and most importantly post workout (i'm an ecto-meso body type and post workout nutrition for me is the most important factor in maintaining muscle mass and shape). Okay to the 'tips' on getting the most out of Matador:
1) Dont think Matador is an excuse to eat crap and not gain weight, this works with carb sources, and much more so with complex carbs....if your eating clean you will get the best results from this.....oats, rice, quinoa etc thats where this will keep you ripped and vascular even when dieting / cutting. If your eating greasy fatty food dont expect Matador to 'mop it up'...get yourself some chitosan
2) It is advised to take Matador around training, however as mentioned above i prefer using Matador around my largest carb based meals which for me is usually lunch and dinner. I believe i am sufficiently insulin sensitive post workout that nutrients will be shuttled from my dextrose/vit c/ and EAA shake, however i would use with my actual post workout meal which comes an hour after my post workout shake.
3) If you want to use this for assisting on cheat days or with sugary cheat meals the best protocol is to take a serving around 30mins before the simple carbs , as it will drop/balance blood sugar and be more proactive is dealing with simple carbs in that period, taking alongside simple carb sources in my experience is nowhere near as effective
Ok so in summary i managed to stay at 8% bodyfat, and gained 4lbs of lean muscle over the 24 day period...which for me as a natty is bloody fantastic...very happy and would recommend Matador to anyone! I would attribute the 4lb gain to the glucagon supercompensation which Matador really excels at.
Keep your eyes peeled for my Tauro Test log which will be a comprehensive day by day log , and will include pics, training, and nutrition.
Thread: Anabolic Designs - Matador