Ascendancyy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ascendancyy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ascendancyy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Trouble with Posterior Chain

Hey guys,

I've been lifting for a few months so far, and though I'm proud of my gains, I still have trouble getting my glutes and hams activated during squats and deadlifts. For squats, I use a low-bar position with a somewhat wide (1-2" wider than shoulders) stance, hip drive, and go slightly below parallel. After a set, I feel my quads are pretty fatigued, my glutes are somewhat "activated" (though I think this is because I squeeze them at lockout, not because they help me out of the hole), and my hamstrings feel like they're not being used at all. I've tried to curl my toes up, but it makes me feel really unstable. A similar thing happens during deadlifts, because though I try to make it basically a glute push after I pass my knees, I feel like my lower back tries to "take over" the movement. Any tips on how to remedy this? If it helps to know, I have lordosis (I stretch my hip flexors regularly to help reduce it) and have added planks to my routine (though I have no direct ab flexion work).
    On my journey for strength and mass.

Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Got a video to post up? That would be the best way to help you.

I like to cue myself to "push back" out of the hole to help involve the PC.
    We don't rise to the occasion, we fall to our level of training.

I was born a shotgun in my hands. Behind the gun I'll make my final stand and that's why they call me Bad Company

Sensible Liberals for Trump 2016 Crew

Ascendancyy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ascendancyy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ascendancyy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Sorry man, I don't have one at the moment. I'll be able to get one up in a couple days though.

Also, when I try to push back, I feel like my body quickly tries to compensate by leaning forward excessively. The weight isn't all on my toes, but there should definitely be more on my heels. This seems to occur irrelevant of the weight I use.

JJones1090 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JJones1090 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JJones1090 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you're open to tryin other exercises: leg pres with feet positioned high up on the footing area will activate glutes very well.

Another awesome exercise for dominating the entire posterior chain is the traditional kettle bell swing. It's awesome.

As for the squat, make sure you are getting low enough, it should be almost like you are sitting in a chair...the last few inches can really impact glute activation.

And seriously, try the kettle bells lol.
    People used to cross the street when I would walk by. They'd be like, "Whoa, look at that monster coming towards us! Literally barreling towards us!" I was as big as a skyscraper...now I'm as tiny as a postage stamp. I'm just trying to become that monster again.

Originally Posted by JJones1090 View Post
    If you're open to tryin other exercises: leg pres with feet positioned high up on the footing area will activate glutes very well.

Another awesome exercise for dominating the entire posterior chain is the traditional kettle bell swing. It's awesome.

As for the squat, make sure you are getting low enough, it should be almost like you are sitting in a chair...the last few inches can really impact glute activation.

And seriously, try the kettle bells lol.
    I'm very open to new exercises, so perhaps I'll give high and wide leg press a try. I'd love to do kettlebells, but my gym doesn't carry them =\ (i'll change gyms or build a nice home gym eventually though). As for the depth, I always try go deep (below parallel); I even injured myself slightly when I first started out because I went ATG with a low bar position, which left me hurting haha.

JJones1090 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JJones1090 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JJones1090 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I actually use a dumb bell to perform kettle bell swings...so I guess I should call them dumb bell swings, but its the spirit of the exercise that counts haha.

I'm sure you'll have success with those leg presses. When I do these, my heels are basically the only thing on the foot area.

Given your description of your squat it sounds odd that you wouldn't feel it in your glutes...I guess if you do end up getting a video to toss up here it would maybe be helpful as mentioned above .

Good luck!
    People used to cross the street when I would walk by. They'd be like, "Whoa, look at that monster coming towards us! Literally barreling towards us!" I was as big as a skyscraper...now I'm as tiny as a postage stamp. I'm just trying to become that monster again.

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Ascendancyy View Post
    Hey guys,

I've been lifting for a few months so far, and though I'm proud of my gains, I still have trouble getting my glutes and hams activated during squats and deadlifts. For squats, I use a low-bar position with a somewhat wide (1-2" wider than shoulders) stance, hip drive, and go slightly below parallel. After a set, I feel my quads are pretty fatigued, my glutes are somewhat "activated" (though I think this is because I squeeze them at lockout, not because they help me out of the hole), and my hamstrings feel like they're not being used at all. I've tried to curl my toes up, but it makes me feel really unstable. A similar thing happens during deadlifts, because though I try to make it basically a glute push after I pass my knees, I feel like my lower back tries to "take over" the movement. Any tips on how to remedy this? If it helps to know, I have lordosis (I stretch my hip flexors regularly to help reduce it) and have added planks to my routine (though I have no direct ab flexion work).

If you're squeezing your glutes at the top of the lift, then you aren't allowing for a proper stretch of the hamstrings.
    Last edited by GeneralSerpant; 08-03-2012 at 11:37 PM.

Originally Posted by GeneralSerpant View Post
    If you're squeezing your glutes at the top of the lift, then you aren't allowing for a proper stretch of the hamstrings.
    Wow, I've done a good amount of research on squats and never read about this. I'll be sure to remember it for my next squat session.

Update: I've thrown in RDL's, GHR's, and long step lunges into my routine. Hopefully this will bring my glutes/hams up to par with my quads. Also, I'm starting to do leg raises and increasing plank frequency to strengthen the abs and reduce lordosis, which is probably another factor in my squat form. Lastly, it turns out one of my school friends is a decent lifter (thought he was just a curlbro) and he said he'll help me work on my form.