NYNessie is on a distinguished road. (+10) NYNessie is on a distinguished road. (+10) NYNessie is on a distinguished road. (+10) NYNessie is on a distinguished road. (+10) NYNessie is on a distinguished road. (+10) NYNessie is on a distinguished road. (+10) NYNessie is on a distinguished road. (+10) NYNessie is on a distinguished road. (+10) NYNessie is on a distinguished road. (+10) NYNessie is on a distinguished road. (+10) NYNessie is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question I just have to ask..what exactly is bulking and WHY?

Being new to this board, new to weight lifting and new to adding calories and counting macros to lose weight (ex WWatcher) I just have to ask...what is bulking and why would you want to do that? I mean no disrespect and am not being sarcastic...I just dont get the point. Is it to gain weight and then turn it into muscle?
    Also I have seen the term..."skinny fat" often here...what is that? I thin person with little muscle? oh and "DOM"? ???

mysticpenguin will become famous soon enough. (+50) mysticpenguin will become famous soon enough. (+50) mysticpenguin will become famous soon enough. (+50) mysticpenguin will become famous soon enough. (+50) mysticpenguin will become famous soon enough. (+50) mysticpenguin will become famous soon enough. (+50) mysticpenguin will become famous soon enough. (+50) mysticpenguin will become famous soon enough. (+50) mysticpenguin will become famous soon enough. (+50) mysticpenguin will become famous soon enough. (+50) mysticpenguin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You bulk - eat over your maintenance calories while lifting hard & heavy - to gain muscle. A lot of us here don't like the skinny fat look - that is, skinny and soft, with no muscle definition/shape. Personally, I want to look like Erin Stern (pic: http://cdn.simplyshredded.com/wp-con...stern/6128.jpg ) - although it certainly takes years to build that much muscle & she is not photo-shoot-lean 365 days a year.
    http://squatlikealady.blogspot.com -- Recipes, Training, Information, and Life

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Generally speaking, you are not going to be able to gain muscle in a deficit, and maybe only very slowly at maintenance. So many people eat a bit over maintenance to maximize muscle growth - it's so very slow for women to begin with! Muscles look hawt! And with them we can pick up heavy things! And that's why we want them... Skinny fat is a person who is at or below their ideal body weight but still looks flabby because they still have a relatively high body fat % and very low muscle. You cannot turn excess weight into muscle. You have to lift - tear the muscles, then feed them so that as they repair/rebuild, they get a little bigger with each new/increased stress. DOMS - delayed onset muscle soreness. A new lifter will often find themselves sore after lifting - as late as a day or two AFTER lifting.
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."