rdaled has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rdaled has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rdaled has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rdaled has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rdaled has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rdaled has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rdaled has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rdaled has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rdaled has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rdaled has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rdaled has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Free Weight vs. Smith Machine

Here is some info on an actual study that was done to compare free weight squats to smith machine squats, and confirms what most here already believe...

Functional Training vs. Machine Training: Free Weight Squat vs. Smith Squat?

Strength coaches and personal trainers are in constant disagreement over which is the "better" squat, a free standing free weight squat or a squat using a Smith Machine. Proponents of the free weight squat claim greater function and performance improvements because they anticipate greater demands on stabilization. In contrast, Smith Machine advocates support greater safety and improved loading capacity, which should translate into increased muscle recruitment and greater strength.

Canadian researchers recently put both to the test using Electromyographic feedback to determine muscle activation patterns for each squat form. Six college-aged men and women participated in the study, each having prior experience with strength training. Each person completed 1 set using an 8 RM (repetition maximum) resistance for both the free weight squat and Smith Machine squat. Researchers recorded EMG for seven muscles: tibialis anterior, gastrocnemius, vastus medialis, vastus lateralis, biceps femoris, lumbar erector spinae, and rectus abdominus.

Compared to the Smith Machine Squat, participants measured greater activity in the gastrocnemius (34%), the biceps femoris (26%), the vastus medialis (49%), and vastus lateralis (25%) while performing a free weight squat. Interestingly, EMG for the trunk stabilizers, rectus abdominus and erector spinae, were similar. In total, EMG was 43% higher for the free weight squat.

Based on this research it appears the free weight squat has greater potential for strengthening muscles involved in stabilizing the knee and should thus be considered for populations who are at risk for knee injury or for individuals looking to optimal strength gains. Moreover, this study contrasts previous studies that have reported strengthening of the knee extensors using the Smith Machine.

Although the free weight squat may be the preferred exercise for optimal strengthening, there remain drawbacks to its use. First, carriage of a bar of sufficient resistance across the shoulders may compromise shoulder health. Additionally, the Smith Machine allows for placement of the feet forward of the body, thus reducing knee flexion angles when the thigh reaches parallel.

Studies such as these are always an opportunity to remember that research is only half the battle. Selecting the appropriate exercise based on muscle recruitment, while considering the safety of loading the movement and potential biomechanical inefficiencies that a client may present requires you, the trainer to be adaptable.

Schwanbeck, S. et al (2009) A Comparison of Free Weight Squat to Smith Machine Squat Using Electromyography. Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research. 23(9): 2588-2591.
    Can't post links yet, sorry.

gneal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gneal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gneal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gneal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by rdaled View Post
    Here is some info on an actual study that was done to compare free weight squats to smith machine squats, and confirms what most here already believe...

This is probably true, but since I work out alone, the thought of having too much weight on the bar and not being able to handle it doesn't exaclty thrill me.

So I figure squatting in the smith machine is better than no squats at all!!

Greg

mlp_22531 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mlp_22531 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mlp_22531 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mlp_22531 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mlp_22531 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mlp_22531 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mlp_22531 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mlp_22531 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mlp_22531 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mlp_22531 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mlp_22531 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by gneal View Post
    This is probably true, but since I work out alone, the thought of having too much weight on the bar and not being able to handle it doesn't exaclty thrill me.

Greg
    Greg, I also work out alone. I'm new and trying to figure out the best way to work my legs. What do you think of dumbbell squats?

notch5507 will become famous soon enough. (+50) notch5507 will become famous soon enough. (+50) notch5507 will become famous soon enough. (+50) notch5507 will become famous soon enough. (+50) notch5507 will become famous soon enough. (+50) notch5507 will become famous soon enough. (+50) notch5507 will become famous soon enough. (+50) notch5507 will become famous soon enough. (+50) notch5507 will become famous soon enough. (+50) notch5507 will become famous soon enough. (+50) notch5507 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I work out alone too. I do my squats inside a cage and I don't put to much for me on the bar. I also dont go fewer reps then 4-5 without a spot (which is 99.9% of the time).

If you started out with a broomstick and proper form then move up to a bar.. then progress with small increments over the course of a months worth .. see where I am going with it? You should know when you take the weight off the rack if you are not able to handle the load.

Fact is, even if you work out alone, you can still do free weight squats. Jus't dont let your ego dictate the amount on the bar. Keep a journal and make progress.

Another option is the front squat. if you get in trouble - you can just dump the weight in front of you.

Look up Squat RX on you tube for proper form and exercises that will give you confidence in getting a good squat.

As for the OP.. if you notice in the study they only used 6 subjects and who is to say how thier form was during each rep. Although I agree with the results =) I hate the smith machine and the only thing I use it for is inverted rows, but I could use the squat cage for those too I suppose.

x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by rdaled View Post

Good post i just read this over the weekend. As many have stated the smith is good when training alone, avoiding injury if you know what you are doing, and it's versatility. Consider this though; how can ANY of us measure 10-15% more emg activity in a body part?? We are busy just trying to move the weight back to rerack it. Can you feel 8% more emg activity in the quads? I can't.

Dain_Bramage will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dain_Bramage will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dain_Bramage will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dain_Bramage will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dain_Bramage will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dain_Bramage will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dain_Bramage will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dain_Bramage will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dain_Bramage will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dain_Bramage will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dain_Bramage will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I WO alone and squat. I have a Power cage and go as heavy as I can all the time. No home gym should be with out one.

dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by gneal View Post
    It is.

Originally Posted by mlp_22531 View Post
    Greg, I also work out alone. I'm new and trying to figure out the best way to work my legs. What do you think of dumbbell squats?
    The best squats you can do are the squats you can manage to do. I started doing these as my first real leg exercise...and they wore me out . I actually added a "high shrug" on the ascend portion. There are many great ways to make do with what you have.

Originally Posted by Dain_Bramage View Post
    I WO alone and squat. I have a Power cage and go as heavy as I can all the time. No home gym should be with out one.
    QFT. Cage FTW!
    "If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Today was it for me and the smith machine. I'm embarassed to say that I joined Planet Fitness first of this year with my GF. They only have smith, no bars in the joint not attatched a machine. This is only the 3rd time I've been there, today. I work out with my brother usually, he's got a "gym" in his basement. The smith is ruining my squats really. I did them out of the rack with my brother and couldn't do $hit for weight, nor get down enough.

AFChief will become famous soon enough. (+50) AFChief will become famous soon enough. (+50) AFChief will become famous soon enough. (+50) AFChief will become famous soon enough. (+50) AFChief will become famous soon enough. (+50) AFChief will become famous soon enough. (+50) AFChief will become famous soon enough. (+50) AFChief will become famous soon enough. (+50) AFChief will become famous soon enough. (+50) AFChief will become famous soon enough. (+50) AFChief will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'll stick to leg presses, but guess my vastus medialis and vastus lateralis will suffer.

jtart2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jtart2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jtart2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jtart2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jtart2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jtart2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jtart2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jtart2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jtart2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jtart2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jtart2 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I don't think it makes too much of a difference anyway because 90% of people who "workout" don't even do them. So in my opinion, either way is fine. As long as your doing some type of squating exercise you'll get good results.

gneal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gneal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gneal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gneal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    There is nothing wrong with doing them, but I think the main issue might be that you wouldn't be able to hold the same amount of weight with db's as you can load on your back. Nothing wrong with starting out that way though and build up....

Greg

mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I really don't think the Smith Machine should be a staple in a Bodybuilder routine unless fatigue is an issue late in the workout or maybe for Rows or Shrugs. A couple of months I aggrevated my low back trying to do F.Squats in the Smith. The strength doesn't transfer over very well when going back to Free bar training.

themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I pretty much only use smith machines now and have not noticed a big difference in results if any.

rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I am not a fan of the smith machine for legs. I believe there is a shear force applied to the knees when using a machine. your body hinges at the knee and rotates around that point in a circular motion. The smith machine moves in a linear motion and transfers horizontal force to the knee. Mechanics aside they dont feel good to me.

You get a better workout with free weight. The form may be hard to master but it is vastly superior.

I have no fear of squatting any weight alone if you are using a well designed rack there is little danger.

paulb72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paulb72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paulb72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paulb72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paulb72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paulb72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paulb72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paulb72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paulb72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paulb72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paulb72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I work out from home and have a smith and cage, so mostly squats are done in the cage, but every so often change it up by using the smith. Never have any issues, yes the movement is a little different, but the change up is worth it.

As DBX said, anything better than nothing, and don't ever discount DB squats.

BTW,smith machine makes for great vertical leg press, works well if you don't have access to a leg press machine
    Last edited by paulb72; 02-04-2010 at 05:57 PM.

jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I prefer to do them both, alternating weekly using the smith for my heavy days...

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Squatting with a barbell in a power rack will likely build a little more mass a little quicker than machine work, simply due to the increased difficulty of having to stabilize the weight.

After a certain level of mass has been built with Barbell Squats, the Smith can be used to refine that mass. Foot positioning that can emphasize different parts of the quads can be performed on a Smith more effectively than with a barbell.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

peter03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peter03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peter03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peter03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peter03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peter03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peter03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peter03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peter03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peter03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peter03 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If God was a body builder he would be using free standing weight.

I busted my back using smith but never did it using free weight. currently doing 210lb for 10 reps and I have a bad back. If I can do it then any one can.

Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by themyth2009 View Post
    I pretty much only use smith machines now and have not noticed a big difference in results if any.
    It is important to know what you mean by "results". From a bodybuilding perspective, I believe what you say .... but from a strength perspective, I'd be surprised if you didn't lose a lot of strength going from free weight squats to smith squats.

*STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Dain_Bramage View Post

This ^

liegelord will become famous soon enough. (+50) liegelord will become famous soon enough. (+50) liegelord will become famous soon enough. (+50) liegelord will become famous soon enough. (+50) liegelord will become famous soon enough. (+50) liegelord will become famous soon enough. (+50) liegelord will become famous soon enough. (+50) liegelord will become famous soon enough. (+50) liegelord will become famous soon enough. (+50) liegelord will become famous soon enough. (+50) liegelord will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you don't have a rack, then do squat cleans and front squats. There is no comparison between cleans and smith machine squats.

The smith machine is good for doing pull ups though.
    This is your life, and its ending one minute at a time.

themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Karl_Hungus View Post
    It is important to know what you mean by "results". From a bodybuilding perspective, I believe what you say .... but from a strength perspective, I'd be surprised if you didn't lose a lot of strength going from free weight squats to smith squats.
    I gave up on strength a long time ago when my back gave out on me. I am only interested in bodybuilding results at this point.

Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Interesting study. Don't know exactly how the % increase in EMG relates to % increase in muscle growth other than using logic, but bottom line it shows heavier muscle recruitment. However, if you are lifting heavy, you need to take safety into account before this study. If there is no cage or squat rack, I wouldn't hesitate to hop in the Smith and do my squats. Gravity does not cease to exist in a Smith machine. 500# on the Smith is still 500#.

dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Mr. Someday View Post
    Interesting study. Don't know exactly how the % increase in EMG relates to % increase in muscle growth other than using logic, but bottom line it shows heavier muscle recruitment. However, if you are lifting heavy, you need to take safety into account before this study. If there is no cage or squat rack, I wouldn't hesitate to hop in the Smith and do my squats. Gravity does not cease to exist in a Smith machine. 500# on the Smith is still 500#.
    LOL! I knew you would show up, Steve . I know you stand by, and rightfully so, the benefits that are available by using a smith. And you have the credentials to be listened to.
    "If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Originally Posted by Mr. Someday View Post
    Hard to argue with those quads.

tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    At your current body weight of 194 LBs you need at least that much weight or higher to work your legs, meaning you'd have to hold 2 95 pounds dumbells to start off, your grip might not be able to handle that much weight comparing to the barbell place on your back though.