NoJunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) NoJunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) NoJunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) NoJunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) NoJunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) NoJunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) NoJunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) NoJunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) NoJunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) NoJunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) NoJunk will become famous soon enough. (+50)

ALL OUT or leave some fuel in the tank?

That is the question...

Here's the thing: I like to do full body workouts 3 days a week in some shape or form, but I also like to push myself hard each time, which has lead to problems (most recently a painful tear somewhere in my glutes, as I tried to go running today [Wed] after an intense squat session on Monday). So for example am I better off doing one body part per week really intensely or going not as hard more often? I realize it probably depends on my goals and I am aiming for a bodybuilding/strength hybrid.

What do you people think?

Old Man Yelling at Cloud -=FLEX=-'s Avatar
    -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    There is no such thing as equilibrium.

You are either getting better or getting worse.

Log your workouts and try to do better each and every time.
    Insta: flexjs

Perseverance, Inc.

Spring Supremacy 2018 - 620/345/615 @ 50 yrs old

RIP Gene Rychlak

w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    If you are tearing things, then yes I would tone it down a bit sir. Remember, its a marathon, not a race.

What is your weekly routine if I may ask?
    - Don't get caught up in all the hype. Just lift, eat and rest! -

* Mad Hatter Crew

NoJunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) NoJunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) NoJunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) NoJunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) NoJunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) NoJunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) NoJunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) NoJunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) NoJunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) NoJunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) NoJunk will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by w8killer View Post
    If you are tearing things, then yes I would tone it down a bit sir. Remember, its a marathon, not a race.

What is your weekly routine if I may ask?
    Nothing set in stone, but tends to include many big lifts, like back squats, front squats, deads, various presses and pulls mixed in with running on the beach, kiteboarding and mtn biking. I am also in the process of rehabilitating a badly broken arm that I fractured racing motocross, so I am building myself back up, just tend to over-do things, I am an all-or-nothing type of guy.

w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    My wife does the same crap. I have to keep reminding her to tone it down. Sounds like you do alot, so like I said before, for your body's sake I would take it down a little.

Maybe try one heavy day and two lighter days and take a week off every 2-3 months for recoup. I know it sounds bad when I say take a week off, but I'm not joking.

p.s. - You'll probably keep doing what you do, because its mostly your personality, and it took my wife having a labral tear in her hip to listen to me. Just trying to save you some pain sir.

Good luck and not knocking you for kicking ass.
    - Don't get caught up in all the hype. Just lift, eat and rest! -

* Mad Hatter Crew

x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by NoJunk View Post
    Nothing set in stone, but tends to include many big lifts, like back squats, front squats, deads, various presses and pulls mixed in with running on the beach, kiteboarding and mtn biking. I am also in the process of rehabilitating a badly broken arm that I fractured racing motocross, so I am building myself back up, just tend to over-do things, I am an all-or-nothing type of guy.
    At 42 with a "painful tear" i would back down to 80% intensity or you will be on the sidelines more than your participating. We are the same age, and i learned this years ago and never have down time because of injuries.

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    That is the question...

Here's the thing: I like to do full body workouts 3 days a week in some shape or form, but I also like to push myself hard each time, which has lead to problems (most recently a painful tear somewhere in my glutes, as I tried to go running today [Wed] after an intense squat session on Monday). So for example am I better off doing one body part per week really intensely or going not as hard more often? I realize it probably depends on my goals and I am aiming for a bodybuilding/strength hybrid.

Too many variables involved.
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Nothing set in stone....

I think you're all over the place. If you enjoy being involved in all manner of exercises and activities, then that's what you should do, and the chips will fall where they may.

If, OTOH, you intend to pursue a specific training goal, then you need to either devise a structured routine to get you there or find a pre-packaged one written by an experienced person.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    It also sounds like when you do go in, you go big as well as a lot. Keep it up and it might be your back next time. Mix in other exercises that are more isolation, like leg press, leg extensions, etc. to give yourself a little break. Back off on weight a little and pay attention to form over weight.

I took up VMX in '08 at the age of 47. I ride a '78 Suzuki RM400 two-stroke monster. Probably not in your league but got pretty good and finished 3rd in my classes in my first season. Most fun I ever had and another one of those things I say, "wish I'd done it 25 years ago!".

Also, some good exercises for MX are leg extensions, toes out to hit inner quads, toes in for outer quads; leg adductions/abductions, vertical leg press, hack squats with a board or something under your toes, calve presses/raises; stairmaster for cardio and forearm curls/reverse biceps curls to mitigate arm pump.
    It's 80% diet, 20% workout and 100% in the mind.

If you can read or carry on a conversation, you ain't working out.

To be different the only thing you have to do is stand fast when the herd moves.

Parking your s**t on a bench ain't the same thing as using it!

pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I am not bleeding and puking but I do try and do a little better every time
    I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Originally Posted by MarkS51 View Post
    It also sounds like when you do go in, you go big as well as a lot. Keep it up and it might be your back next time. Mix in other exercises that are more isolation, like leg press, leg extensions, etc. to give yourself a little break. Back off on weight a little and pay attention to form over weight.

I took up VMX in '08 at the age of 47. I ride a '78 Suzuki RM400 two-stroke monster. Probably not in your league but got pretty good and finished 3rd in my classes in my first season. Most fun I ever had and another one of those things I say, "wish I'd done it 25 years ago!".

Also, some good exercises for MX are leg extensions, toes out to hit inner quads, toes in for outer quads; leg adductions/abductions, vertical leg press, hack squats with a board or something under your toes, calve presses/raises; stairmaster for cardio and forearm curls/reverse biceps curls to mitigate arm pump.
    I was on a KTM 250 SX Stroker, thing rips....Went down in flames last summer after eating it on a big triple and smashed my left humerus to bits. After 2 surgeries, steel plates and 2 dozen screws I have been working hard to get my mobility and strength back (was finally able to do pull-ups today). I appreciate all the good advice and as I enjoy a multitude of physically demanding activities, I think I will scale back to hitting the gym twice per week for now and see how that goes. Mammoth over the holidays, should be epic snow as long as my battered body can keep up....

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

I doesn't have to be either full body workout or nothing but isolation stuff. You could try 2 full body big lift sessions a week, and one with various isolation/accessory work. That's similar to what I do ( well this time of year I ski two days a week too ).
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA

MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I was on a KTM 250 SX Stroker, thing rips....Went down in flames last summer after eating it on a big triple and smashed my left humerus to bits. After 2 surgeries, steel plates and 2 dozen screws I have been working hard to get my mobility and strength back (was finally able to do pull-ups today). I appreciate all the good advice and as I enjoy a multitude of physically demanding activities, I think I will scale back to hitting the gym twice per week for now and see how that goes. Mammoth over the holidays, should be epic snow as long as my battered body can keep up....
    Well, if you're pulling triples I'm definitely not in your class, nor is my bike. Many tracks down here did away with them as too many guys were getting smashed on them.

One last suggestion, rather than 2 big gym days of many exercises (more "Go Big" impulse? ) you might consider spreading them out to 3-4 days of fewer muscle groups per day. You'll do a better job per group and run less risk of further injury to yourself.

So, you gonna get back in the saddle someday? I had a heart attack in 7/09 and was back on the track inside of a month. My wife was very concerned but I told her, "honey, a man has to die someday and he hasn't much say in it. I know that truly, now. So when I go I wanna be on my bike or on...." She was not amused.
    It's 80% diet, 20% workout and 100% in the mind.

If you can read or carry on a conversation, you ain't working out.

To be different the only thing you have to do is stand fast when the herd moves.

Parking your s**t on a bench ain't the same thing as using it!

Originally Posted by MarkS51 View Post
    Well, if you're pulling triples I'm definitely not in your class, nor is my bike. Many tracks down here did away with them as too many guys were getting smashed on them.

One last suggestion, rather than 2 big gym days of many exercises (more "Go Big" impulse? ) you might consider spreading them out to 3-4 days of fewer muscle groups per day. You'll do a better job per group and run less risk of further injury to yourself.

So, you gonna get back in the saddle someday? I had a heart attack in 7/09 and was back on the track inside of a month. My wife was very concerned but I told her, "honey, a man has to die someday and he hasn't much say in it. I know that truly, now. So when I go I wanna be on my bike or on...." She was not amused.
    Yeah I have tried to do more traditional body splits for years, but as I get older I have realized that like to mix it up alot and be more instinctive, basically go into the gym with a clean slate and go from there rather than following some pre determined recipe, I just get bored way to fast. Will see how it goes in Jan...

Wife and kids made me sell the bike and I didn't fight it as I couldn't ride anyway, for now.....Have plenty of other activities to keep me going, just not as risky. Have to tell you though, it really sucks to have a major injury like that and I am lucky that I am healing well, someone died on the same track shortly after my accident.