Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Registered User White.Lightning's Avatar
    White.Lightning has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) White.Lightning has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) White.Lightning has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) White.Lightning has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) White.Lightning has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) White.Lightning has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) White.Lightning has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

"No Excuses" - My path to getting fit

Hey all. I am attempting to create a log to keep track of my results, stay motivated, and hopefully learn some things from you all. A little but about myself. I am 28 years old, 5' 8", 197 lbs. I haven't picked up a weight since August 2009. My weight lifting career began at age 16 while in high school. I was always on the skinnier side. During my first year of college I entered an amateur bodybuilding contest and took 3rd place in Teenage Mid Weight and 3rd in Mens Open Bantamweight. I weighed in at something like 120 ish bodyfat was about 8%. Overall it was a good experience as I got to see my body change with proper dieting. A friend of mine consulted me through the process and he basically told me what to eat, how much, when, etc. I didn't grasp the concepts at hand.

Fast forward to age 25. I noticed my body began to change, metabolism slowed, etc. From age 18 to 25 lifting was on and off, nutrition was crap. I was doing the typical early 20's routine and hitting the bars a lot, etc. At this time I was probably in the range of 160-170 lbs and started to pack on the fat. I met my girlfriend in August 09 and haven't lifted a weight since. My diet stopped and I began to gain weight. I guess at the time I was so caught up in the relationship that I put myself on the back burner = bad idea. Good news is, we are still together and going strong!

I started taking pictures of myself and logging my stats in the year 2009. Below you will see how my weight changed from that time to now. Pics are attached.
    9/11/07
    1/4/09 188 lbs
    1/11/09 185 lbs (yay- losing weight)
    4/27/09 188 lbs (probably was gaining muscle at this point)
    8/4/09 180 lbs (weight going back down again but I stopped lifting mid month)
    6/2/10 196 lbs
    1/17/11 196 lbs (heaviest I've ever been)

You can see that in August 09 I had things headed in the right direction. Diet was on par, lifting was on par, and I was 'almost' where I wanted to be. My goal to myself, knowing how my body is, was to be at 170 lbs.

Ok. Now onto the plan. I need to get into shape. I feel and look bad, I am always tired, I have zero motivation to do anything except work/eat. I came up with this meal plan to get me started.

6am
    6 egg whites
    1 whole egg
    1/2 cup oats

9am
    1/2 cup ground turkey
    1/2 cup brown rice
    1 Banana

1230pm
    4-5oz chicken
    1/2 avocado
    1 sweet potato
    1/2 cup mixed veggies

4pm (pre-workout)
    48g protein shake
    1 Apple

530pm (workout)

7pm (post-workout)
    24g protein shake
    4-5oz chicken or lean steak
    1 red potato

930pm
    1 cup cottage cheese
    Berries
    Handful almonds

I want to try this for a month and see how my body reacts since I have been eating like crap. I plan to hit the grocery store this weekend and get everything ready for next week. As far as workouts are concerned. I was going to get to the gym this weekend and get kick started. A friend of mine who frequents here recommended a PL routine to get me back into the swing of things. Keep it simple, core movements, etc. Here is what he came up with:

Bench day- Flat x5 sets, Incline x4 sets, Flyes x4 sets, Dips x4 sets

Deadlift day- Deadlifts x5 sets, Leg curls x4 sets, Decline situps x4 sets

Shoulder day- DB Military press x5 sets, DB raises x4 sets, Skull crushers x4 sets, Pull ups x5 sets

Squat day- Squat x5 sets, Leg press x4 sets, Leg extension x4 sets, Leg curls x4 sets, Hanging leg raises x4 sets, Situps x4 sets

I will add cardio in 2-3 times a week on top of lifting once things get moving. That should do it for now. I have the plan, I need to put it into place. I will keep this thread updated with each lift days stats as well as monthly progress stats of weight and diet.

Any advice/tips?

Thanks,
    Andy
    Attached Images

eb02z06 is just really nice. (+1000) eb02z06 is just really nice. (+1000) eb02z06 is just really nice. (+1000) eb02z06 is just really nice. (+1000) eb02z06 is just really nice. (+1000) eb02z06 is just really nice. (+1000) eb02z06 is just really nice. (+1000) eb02z06 is just really nice. (+1000) eb02z06 is just really nice. (+1000) eb02z06 is just really nice. (+1000) eb02z06 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Time to put in some work boyyyyy!!
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 13

Current Workout log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=114266071

White.Lightning has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) White.Lightning has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) White.Lightning has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) White.Lightning has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) White.Lightning has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) White.Lightning has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) White.Lightning has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well, I did the impossible and went to the gym today!!!!

Bench
    Flat WU 3set 50# Dumbbell (DB)
    Flat 4set 65# DB - last set tough
    Incline 4set 50# DB
    Flyes 4set 80# machine
    Dips 4set Body weight (5 reps/set) - I was beat

Came home, ate some dinner, got a shower and I feel good. Just relaxing now. Still need to get the whole nutrition thing down. I'll tackle that this weekend. Tomorrow is dead lift day.

Didn't get to the gym yesterday. I was dead tired from work and my triceps were killing me from the chest/dips on Thursday. I took some BCAA's to hopefully aid in recovery.

Deadlifted this morning...
    Deadlift warmup
    3 x 135
    Deadlift
    4 x 155
    Laying leg curls
    4 x 80
    Decline situps
    4 x Body weight

I thought I was gonna puke at the gym. Haven't done this much exercise/work in a while. Needless to say, what you see above what plenty of a workout for today. As I gradually get back into it, I will add in cardio and hopefully gain some strength. I don't want to over do it initially.
    Last edited by White.Lightning; 01-23-2011 at 09:02 AM.

Shoulders
    DB press warmup
    3 x 30
    DB press
    5 x 40
    DB raise
    4 x 20
    Skull crushers
    4 x 40
    Pullups
    5 x body weight (assisted)
    Jog
    10 mins 4.5 mph

I have squat day tomorrow, then a much needed rest day!

eb02z06 is just really nice. (+1000) eb02z06 is just really nice. (+1000) eb02z06 is just really nice. (+1000) eb02z06 is just really nice. (+1000) eb02z06 is just really nice. (+1000) eb02z06 is just really nice. (+1000) eb02z06 is just really nice. (+1000) eb02z06 is just really nice. (+1000) eb02z06 is just really nice. (+1000) eb02z06 is just really nice. (+1000) eb02z06 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Enjoy those squats and regaining some strength!

Current Workout log:

Squat Day:
    Squat warm up
    95x10x3
    Squat
    135x10
    155x10x2
    185x10x2
    Leg Press
    270x10x2
    360x10x2
    Leg extensions
    50x10x2
    70x10x2
    Leg curls
    80x10x4
    Situps
    Body weight x10x4

Rest day tomorrow and I need it!
    Last edited by White.Lightning; 01-26-2011 at 07:40 AM.

I decided to see what the macros are for the meal plan I proposed in the beginning of the log. I made some minor changes but the overall scheme is the same. Check this out and let me know if you see any glaring mistakes. Also, if you have any tips/advice, please speak up.

Summary:
    2,389 calories
    212.6g protein (37%)
    207.5g carbs (35%)
    78g fats (29%)
    Attached Images

Bench:
    Flat DB- Warm up
    50x10x3
    Flat DB
    65x10x2
    65x8x2
    Incline DB
    50x8x4
    Flyes (machine)
    80x10x3
    85x10x1
    Dips
    BWx8x1
    BWx5x2

Shoulder is giving me issues. Need to do some light DB work with it throughout the week

I was supposed to dead lift today but we ended up getting 15" of snow. So I shoveled for 4 hours and feel like I got a good cardio workout in. Going to attack dead lifts tomorrow!

Didn't have time to lift this weekend. Got home from work last night and felt nauseous from a sinus drip that started on Sunday so I took it easy last night. I am going to try and hit the gym tonight. We are getting hit with a crazy ice/snow storm!!! I hope the evening commute is not too bad.

Originally Posted by White.Lightning View Post
    I was supposed to dead lift today but we ended up getting 15" of snow. So I shoveled for 4 hours and feel like I got a good cardio workout in. Going to attack dead lifts tomorrow!
    Excuse 1

Didn't have time to lift this weekend. Got home from work last night and felt nauseous from a sinus drip that started on Sunday so I took it easy last night. I am going to try and hit the gym tonight. We are getting hit with a crazy ice/snow storm!!! I hope the evening commute is not too bad.
    Excuse 2

Man up dude!!!

Current Workout log:

Point taken. I disagree on 'Excuse #1'. That wasn't an excuse, it was a cardio day. I do agree, however, that I need to get to the gym tonight!!!

Knock knock - updates??

Current Workout log:

I've been bed ridden for the past couple days. Sinus infection + flu = not a happy camper. I have zero energy and my head feels like it wants to explode. I haven't been this sick in years.

I'm still infected with the 'plague'. Starting to break up though. This crap kicked my butt for sure!

Well I figured it was about time to finally update this thread. I was infected for two weeks with some sickness that took over my life. I couldn't even lift a gallon of water let alone dumbbells and such. Beyond being sick, I have no reason why I haven't been to the gym in the past two-three weeks. I did realize something though.

The past two weekends have been devoted to helping people out. This has led to no time in the day for me and this is a problem. I always tell my girlfriend that we need to make time for ourselves both as individuals and together- and I've been neglecting that on both accounts. So I really have no excuses why I haven't been in the gym other than I put myself on the back burner.

Goal to self- get into the gym tomorrow right after work

I've come up with, from what I have read, a decent starter meal plan to get my diet on par again. Here is what I want to implement this weekend:

6am- wake up
    6 egg whites
    1 whole egg
    1/2 cup oats

9am
    chicken salad (light mayo used sparingly)
    whole wheat bread
    2 slices cheese

1230pm
    4oz chicken
    1/4 avocado
    1 medium sweet potato
    1/3 cup mixed veggies

4pm (preworkout)
    48g protein- shake
    1 apple

530pm- workout

7pm (post workout)
    24g protein- shake
    1/2 cup ground turkey
    1/4 avocado
    1/2 cup white rice

930pm
    1 cup cottage cheese
    handful berries

1030pm- bed

Well I did the impossible and got back to the gym tonight. It felt GREAT. I did a chest day...

Flat DB press
    50x10x3 warmup
    70x10x2
    70x8x2

Incline DB press
    45x8x4

Machine flyes
    80x10x3
    85x10x1

Dips
    BWx8x3
    BWx5x1

Jog 10mins 5mph

Still need to get to the grocery store. Hopefully tomorrow night I can tackle that and get my food ready for the week.

Deads

WU
    135x10x3
    Deads
    185x10x4
    Curls (laying)
    80x10x4
    Decline situps
    BWx10x4

Shoulders

DB press warmup
    30x10x3
    DB press
    45x10x4
    DB front raise-seated
    20x10x4
    Skull crushers
    65x10x4
    Pull ups- assisted
    110x10x4
    Jog
    10mins 5mph

Weight has seemed to drop a few in the past week. Probably a shock of getting back into the gym and some water weight being shed. I'm not going to weigh myself again until week 6 or something like that.

Squats!!!
    Warmup
    135x10x3
    Squat
    185x10x5
    Leg press
    270x10x2
    360x10x2
    Leg extensions
    70x10x4
    Laying leg curls
    80x10x4
    Situps- decline
    BWx10x4

Walked on treadmill
    10mins 3mph

Deads

WU
    135x10x3
    Deads
    185x10x4
    Curls (laying)
    80x10x4
    Decline situps
    BWx10x4
    Squats!!!
    Warmup
    135x10x3
    Squat
    185x10x5
    Leg press
    270x10x2
    360x10x2
    Leg extensions
    70x10x4
    Laying leg curls
    80x10x4
    Situps- decline
    BWx10x4

Walked on treadmill
    10mins 3mph
    Nice, keep getting that work done. Now get some vids up for a form check so we can tell you to bump up the weight.

Current Workout log:

Originally Posted by eb02z06 View Post
    Nice, keep getting that work done. Now get some vids up for a form check so we can tell you to bump up the weight.
    I'll just stop over one weekend and we'll do a squat or deads day so you can see first hand!!!

Bench day
    DB press warmup
    50x10x3

DB press
    70x10x4
    70x6x1

DB incline press
    50x10x2
    60x10x1
    65x10x1 felt great

Flyes- machine
    80x10x2
    90x10x2

Dips
    BWx10x4

Bike
    10 mins

Deads:
    Warmup
    135x10x3
    Deads
    205x10x3
    205x6x1 (back was beat at this point)
    Laying curls
    80x10x4
    Decline situps
    BW+25x10x4
    Jog
    10mins 5mph

Keep it up. Maybe time now to bump the weight in squats/deads and try a 5/5/5 scheme.

Current Workout log:

I'm going to take this out to week 6. After that we can re-assess.

At that point I want to take pics, check weight, etc.

Shoulders

DB press- warmup
    35x10x3
    DB press
    50x10x5
    DB raise- seated
    20x10x4
    Skull crushers
    60x10x4
    Pull ups
    BW+110 assistedx10x4

Couldn't do cardio. Everyone and their mother was trying to do cardio. Once it warms up some I'll job outside or ride my mountain bike. Other than that it was a good workout!

Squats

Warmup
    135x10x3
    Squat
    225x10x4
    226x6x1 - legs were beat
    Leg press
    270x10x2
    360x10x2
    Leg extension
    80x10x4
    Leg curls- laying
    85x10x4
    Situps- decline
    BW+25x15x3

Bench day:

DB press
    50x10x3 warm up
    70x10x4
    70x9x1 shoulder is hurting (see below)

Incline DB press
    60x10x4

Machine flyes
    80x10x1
    90x10x3

Dips
    BWx10x4

I've had a chronic shoulder injury for the past 10 years or so. It is focused on the frontal portion of my shoulder. I've had an MRI to rule out the labrum and rotator cuff. The local orthopedic doctor who works on my father did an evaluation and came up with nothing. The pain occurs when I do a pressing movement like a bench press- BB or DB. Pain also occurs when I do incline presses- BB or DB. On the last couple of reps my shoulder will almost 'give out' and I lose all energy in that arm. I still to this day do not know what is wrong with me.

Weird part is, the pain doesn't occur when I do shoulder work like a DB military, DB raise, etc. I was talking to two reputable trainers at the gym. The one said to get a second opinion from a orthopedic doctor who specializes in shoulders. He said that since its recurring it could be bicep tendinitis that is getting impinged while doing the bench press movements. The other trainer said it could be my "AC" joint in my shoulder. I don't even know what that is but will do some google searching tonight!

So basically my training is being held back by this injury. I plan to get the shoulder re-evaluated by the specialized doctor and see what they say. Until then I will back the weight off some on the pressing movements. Hopefully it isn't anything too bad and I can rehabilitate it with some exercising.