seahawks206 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Heavy vs. Light Weight Training

Hey guys I know this isn't a specific exercise question but i'm new to this site and I didnt know where to post it. I started a workout program that has a heavy day,medium day, and a light day and I am wondering what are the benefits of medium and lightweight training? Does lightweight with more reps tone your muscles because of fat loss and muscle exhaustion?

can somebody help me out?

IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    *sigh* Read the link in my sig...

dobe43 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dobe43 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dobe43 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dobe43 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dobe43 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dobe43 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dobe43 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dobe43 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dobe43 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dobe43 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dobe43 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    No, light weights do not increase fat burning or muscle building more than medium or heavy weights. Heavy weights actually have a greater affect on metabolism than lighter or medium weights and therefore have a greater potential for fat loss. Without knowing the workout program I would say that the purpose of the medium and light days is to facilitate recovery and avoid overtraining from using high intensities too often.
    "Since you're going to do them anyway, we might as well discuss the right way to do curls. Curls are performed to train the biceps, a muscle that commands an inordinate amount of attention from far too many people." - Mark Rippetoe

Originally Posted by dobe43 View Post
    No, light weights do not increase fat burning or muscle building more than medium or heavy weights. Heavy weights actually have a greater affect on metabolism than lighter or medium weights and therefore have a greater potential for fat loss. Without knowing the workout program I would say that the purpose of the medium and light days is to facilitate recovery and avoid overtraining from using high intensities too often.
    but what is the point of even doin medium and light days? I've seen programs that go high, medium, light but I don't see the point. You do get muscular endurance from training with lightweight and workout different muscle fibers. Is there a benefit to train for endurance while trying to put on mass? For example you could train heavy monday and wednesday but go light on friday?

I understand that some people claim that "low weight/high reps for toning" is just a myth but light weight training does exhaust the muscle more burning more calories so technically it does kind of help

dobe43 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dobe43 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dobe43 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dobe43 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dobe43 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dobe43 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dobe43 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dobe43 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dobe43 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dobe43 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dobe43 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    When you say the workout has heavy, medium, and light days, to me that means that the rep scheme is not changing just the load. So therefore you would't technically be training muscular endurance unless that was the original program's goal. I am not sure about muscular endurance being good for hypertrophy, but I know that people have gotten big using a 20 rep squat protocol.
    "Since you're going to do them anyway, we might as well discuss the right way to do curls. Curls are performed to train the biceps, a muscle that commands an inordinate amount of attention from far too many people." - Mark Rippetoe

Registered User NvrBSkinnyAgain's Avatar
    NvrBSkinnyAgain is just really nice. (+1000) NvrBSkinnyAgain is just really nice. (+1000) NvrBSkinnyAgain is just really nice. (+1000) NvrBSkinnyAgain is just really nice. (+1000) NvrBSkinnyAgain is just really nice. (+1000) NvrBSkinnyAgain is just really nice. (+1000) NvrBSkinnyAgain is just really nice. (+1000) NvrBSkinnyAgain is just really nice. (+1000) NvrBSkinnyAgain is just really nice. (+1000) NvrBSkinnyAgain is just really nice. (+1000) NvrBSkinnyAgain is just really nice. (+1000)
    I don't see much point in lifting light or medium weights. Your muscle is only as strong as the heaviest weight you lift.

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by seahawks206 View Post
    Hey guys I know this isn't a specific exercise question but i'm new to this site and I didnt know where to post it. I started a workout program that has a heavy day,medium day, and a light day and I am wondering what are the benefits of medium and lightweight training? Does lightweight with more reps tone your muscles because of fat loss and muscle exhaustion?
    lower weight = lower intensity = more reps throughout the week
    more exercises=higher volume = more reps throughout the week
    more workouts=higher frequency = more reps throughout the week

intensity, volume, and frequency are all inversely proportional to each other. However, more reps is not the defining aspect of burning fat. This of course, is all subject to how many calories you are taking in vs. how much you are expending.