ChickenandYams is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChickenandYams is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChickenandYams is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChickenandYams is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChickenandYams is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChickenandYams is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChickenandYams is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChickenandYams is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChickenandYams is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChickenandYams is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChickenandYams is on a distinguished road. (+10)

ever cut PWO out in prep?

Has anyone ever cut PWO carbs out of their contest prep? My trainer (whom I trust wholeheartedly) wants me to cut out my PWO carbs to maximize fat loss after weight training. The idea is once the the carbs are ingested insulin spikes and fat burn halts. His view is that getting rid of the PWO carbs will allow continued fat burning. Little less than 7 weeks out for my show. Our goal for this contest is flawless conditioning so we're shooting for as lean as possible. My ownly gripe is that I'm still going to have carbs at my next meal after training, so why not have it after working out for recovery? So here's what today looked like....

1) Breakfast: 1/2 cup oatmeal, 2 whole eggs, 1 cup egg whites

--Train Legs--

2) 10g BCAA's immediately after work out.
    3) 10-20 minutes later 2 scoops protein
    4) 1-2 hours later meal---> 7.5 oz yams, 7.5 oz chicken breast

I will definitely stick to the plan, but I was wondering if anyone else has every tried this approach in their prep? Thoughts, comments?

jstndvs will become famous soon enough. (+50) jstndvs will become famous soon enough. (+50) jstndvs will become famous soon enough. (+50) jstndvs will become famous soon enough. (+50) jstndvs will become famous soon enough. (+50) jstndvs will become famous soon enough. (+50) jstndvs will become famous soon enough. (+50) jstndvs will become famous soon enough. (+50) jstndvs will become famous soon enough. (+50) jstndvs will become famous soon enough. (+50) jstndvs will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ChickenandYams View Post
    Has anyone ever cut PWO carbs out of their contest prep? My trainer (whom I trust wholeheartedly) wants me to cut out my PWO carbs to maximize fat loss after weight training. The idea is once the the carbs are ingested insulin spikes and fat burn halts. His view is that getting rid of the PWO carbs will allow continued fat burning. Little less than 7 weeks out for my show. Our goal for this contest is flawless conditioning so we're shooting for as lean as possible. My ownly gripe is that I'm still going to have carbs at my next meal after training, so why not have it after working out for recovery? So here's what today looked like....

--Train Legs--

I will definitely stick to the plan, but I was wondering if anyone else has every tried this approach in their prep? Thoughts, comments?
    Hmm.. i would think it wouldn't make that big of a difference, but if it did, could you not just eat some fruit or something of that nature immediately after your workout to keep blood sugar levels up? Just a thought, if that's the theory behind it.

ChickenandYams is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChickenandYams is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChickenandYams is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChickenandYams is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChickenandYams is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChickenandYams is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChickenandYams is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChickenandYams is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChickenandYams is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChickenandYams is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChickenandYams is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i usually have 2 scoops of vitargo after with 2 scoops protein. up until this point my carbs have been pretty moderate still. this was kind of a double whammy. lower my carb intake and avoid insulin spike after weight training. we'll see how it goes i guess

jstndvs will become famous soon enough. (+50) jstndvs will become famous soon enough. (+50) jstndvs will become famous soon enough. (+50) jstndvs will become famous soon enough. (+50) jstndvs will become famous soon enough. (+50) jstndvs will become famous soon enough. (+50) jstndvs will become famous soon enough. (+50) jstndvs will become famous soon enough. (+50) jstndvs will become famous soon enough. (+50) jstndvs will become famous soon enough. (+50) jstndvs will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i usually have 2 scoops of vitargo after with 2 scoops protein. up until this point my carbs have been pretty moderate still. this was kind of a double whammy. lower my carb intake and avoid insulin spike after weight training. we'll see how it goes i guess
    Worth a shot. I've never done pre-contest cut for bodybuilding.. your trainer may have a good reason for it. Maybe ask about some sort of fruit or something after workout, if you think that may help. I know it always keeps my blood sugar from bottoming out. But like i said, I'm no expert on show prepping. Best of luck with the show!

Thank you! That was actually something I thought about. Today was the first day I did it, after murdering legs. I could definitely feel a little foggy until I had my yams a little later. Like you said, worth a shot.

Thank you! That was actually something I thought about. Today was the first day I did it, after murdering legs. I could definitely feel a little foggy until I had my yams a little later. Like you said, worth a shot.
    Yeah. Post-legs is always harsh anyways. I know when cutting in the past, I've cut out complex carbs for a while after my workouts for several hours, but i always tried to get some simple sugars immediately after. Hopefully it'll work for you. I just hate that woozy feeling afterwards when my sugar drops.

simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    In the big picture it may not make much difference, as carbs ingested at anytime will be used to refill depleted glycogen levels and that will occur regardless of timing. The key is finding what is optimal for YOU. My strategy when carbs are low is to bracket (pre and post) the workout with my my daily allotment when they I feel they can be utilized the best. I am better able to maintain training intensity and recovery is improved as well. As far as fat storage, carbs immediately post workout will be partitioned towards depleted muscle storage leaving little to none to be shuttled to fat stores.
    My advice would be to experiment both ways and see what is optimal for you.....
    Athletic Xtreme Sponsored Athlete-TEAM AX
    Quest Protein Bar Athlete
    Nutrient Sciences/Kymera Energy Rep
    2012 Team Universe MW Champion
    Member Team USA 2012 IFBB Worlds-Ecuador

Demon Fitness - Owner demonwareltd's Avatar
    demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I went through my last 8 weeks of prep for my previous show with no carbs post workout, just 2 scoops of whey and that's it. Now I was following an extremely low carb plan (no carbs except veggies and then one refeed every 3 days). Worked for me, but ultimately I don't think whether or not you have a little bit of carbs after your workout will make a big difference...

ryguy10493 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ryguy10493 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ryguy10493 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ryguy10493 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ryguy10493 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ryguy10493 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ryguy10493 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ryguy10493 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ryguy10493 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ryguy10493 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ryguy10493 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I cut out all my carbs in the last couple weeks other then my post workout carbs. I feel those are the most important and would be the last for me to cut out.
    If you aint growin your shrinkin!!

ig: ryguy10493

Demon Fitness - Owner demonwareltd's Avatar
    demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by ryguy10493 View Post
    I cut out all my carbs in the last couple weeks other then my post workout carbs. I feel those are the most important and would be the last for me to cut out.
    Really? You don't feel pre-workout carbs are more important? I'd rather have my carbs preworkout to fuel my workouts and make them as intense as possible. The glycogen will get replenished in your muscles eventually and doesn't have to come immediately after your workout to be effective...

Registered User JanesLastResort's Avatar
    JanesLastResort is a name known to all. (+5000) JanesLastResort is a name known to all. (+5000) JanesLastResort is a name known to all. (+5000) JanesLastResort is a name known to all. (+5000) JanesLastResort is a name known to all. (+5000) JanesLastResort is a name known to all. (+5000) JanesLastResort is a name known to all. (+5000) JanesLastResort is a name known to all. (+5000) JanesLastResort is a name known to all. (+5000) JanesLastResort is a name known to all. (+5000) JanesLastResort is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by demonwareltd View Post
    I don't think whether or not you have a little bit of carbs after your workout will make a big difference...
    This.

I started off with a no carb diet and even though i just switched to a higher carb intake in the last few weeks i still have almost no carbs post workout only protein. Makes no difference imo.
    lófasz

red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I feel like it's a mistake to make anything around a weight lifting session about burning fat. When you hit the weights, it's about keeping the muscle that you have and trying to make some strength gains. Not allowing for proper post-wo recovery would be detrimental to that. Leave the fat burning for your time out of the gym and cardio days.

ryguy10493 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ryguy10493 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ryguy10493 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ryguy10493 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ryguy10493 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ryguy10493 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ryguy10493 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ryguy10493 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ryguy10493 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ryguy10493 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ryguy10493 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by demonwareltd View Post
    Really? You don't feel pre-workout carbs are more important? I'd rather have my carbs preworkout to fuel my workouts and make them as intense as possible. The glycogen will get replenished in your muscles eventually and doesn't have to come immediately after your workout to be effective...
    I feel I can just push myself to fuel my workout and some coffee helps i just though post workout would be the most effective time to eat my carbs
    If you aint growin your shrinkin!!

ig: ryguy10493

Lanceippolito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lanceippolito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lanceippolito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lanceippolito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lanceippolito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lanceippolito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lanceippolito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lanceippolito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lanceippolito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lanceippolito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lanceippolito will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have no pw carbs in prep, train at night but still feel like im gaining muscle. I read articles with dr mauri dipisquale saying u dont need pw carbs. Only protein and moderate fat
    -NPC Men's Physique Competitor
    -PM me anytime! I am glad to answer ANY question and share advice!
    -Check out my videos Youtube.com/user/lanceippolito

tdale has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tdale has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tdale has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tdale has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tdale has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tdale has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tdale has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tdale has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tdale has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tdale has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tdale has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    if your trainer's view is that by cutting out carbs then you won't get an insulin spike, i'm pretty sure protein creates an insulin response as well, so that would be nullified, having said that, i'd rather get any extra carbs in pre workout, rather than after training. That's just my opinion though.

red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by tdale View Post
    if your trainer's view is that by cutting out carbs then you won't get an insulin spike, i'm pretty sure protein creates an insulin response as well, so that would be nullified, having said that, i'd rather get any extra carbs in pre workout, rather than after training. That's just my opinion though.
    Protein doesn't cause an insulin spike.

Originally Posted by red_cat View Post
    Correct. Sugars (carbohydrates) controls insulin levels.

esgibson will become famous soon enough. (+50) esgibson will become famous soon enough. (+50) esgibson will become famous soon enough. (+50) esgibson will become famous soon enough. (+50) esgibson will become famous soon enough. (+50) esgibson will become famous soon enough. (+50) esgibson will become famous soon enough. (+50) esgibson will become famous soon enough. (+50) esgibson will become famous soon enough. (+50) esgibson will become famous soon enough. (+50) esgibson will become famous soon enough. (+50)

--Train Legs--

i think you either need to stop second guessing your trainer or get a new one. his logic makes sense to me because fat loss is def halted in the presence of insulin. there are a bunch of ppl that will say nutrient timing is a hoax blah blah but i got results from something similar to that..

NOW HAS A LOG!!!! peanut-butter's Avatar
    peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by jstndvs View Post
    That is actually wrong. All foods cause an insulin spike - Significant or not.
    "Whoa, peanut-butter does look a lot like Cum." - Alan Aragon

IIFYMM- If it fits Your Macros and Micros.

5k+ Link (Please PM me if I forget)

*Unaesthetic Crew* Disregard V-Taper, Acquire PRs

Originally Posted by esgibson View Post
    i think you either need to stop second guessing your trainer or get a new one. his logic makes sense to me because fat loss is xdef halted in the presence of insulin. there are a bunch of ppl that will say nutrient timing is a hoax blah blah but i got results from something similar to that..
    I believe nutrient timing means a lot. Different types of foods.are digested at different rates. Simple sugars are broken down more quickly than complex carbs. Meaning they can be more readily stores as fats etc. Blood sugar levels also have an effect on your energy levels and a lot of other processes in your body. If you eat large meals, they are more likely to be stored as fat if the calories are not used up by your body in a certain amount of time. Which, in essence, is more difficult for your body to burn the stored fat than it is to use the calories that are being digested and taken in by your stomach before it is converted to fat. So if you wake up and eat a huge meal (lets say 1/2 your calories for the day) a lot of those calories have a chance of being stored as fat. If you eat again later, the food you are eating may be used for energy instead of the fat you stored earlier in the day. Just what i believe and what has always worked for me. But then again, I'm a bit old school about a lot of this stuff.
    Maxes (July 2012)

Bench press: 310
    Squats: 405
    Deadlifts: 401
    Overhead shoulder press: 225

Progress thread:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147465243&p=935096753#post935096753

Workout log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147745203

2Beasty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2Beasty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2Beasty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2Beasty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2Beasty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2Beasty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I personally have not cut them out during contest prep and only reduce the amount ingested based on my progress throughout the prep. i.e. if progress has completely halted, and carb intake is already fairly low during the rest of the day, then reducing Carbs PW is necessary. Having said that, this is just my personal preference, as my body is accustomed to this protocol.

ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by jstndvs View Post
    lolwut
    "Nutrition for powerlifting: If you are serious about it, you will eat f*cking everything and get strong as $hit." - HamburgerTrain
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=163165741

Originally Posted by ErickStevens View Post
    lolwut
    Ok... so protien has a lot less affect on insulin levels than carbohydrates do. But from what i just read (if i understood correctly) protien also raises glucogen levels which helps the body use bodyfat as energy.
    Maxes (July 2012)

Bench press: 310
    Squats: 405
    Deadlifts: 401
    Overhead shoulder press: 225

Progress thread:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147465243&p=935096753#post935096753

Workout log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147745203