jacobb88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Is there a way to lose weight while only eating ramen?

I am currently on an all ramen diet, but not by choice (I'm broke). I can eat for 2 weeks for about 15 bucks. What I want to know is what kind of effects is this sort of diet going to have on my body? and is there any way to lose weight while eating like this? any and all opinions welcome.

Tipps has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jacobb88 View Post
    I am currently on an all ramen diet, but not by choice (I'm broke). I can eat for 2 weeks for about 15 bucks. What I want to know is what kind of effects is this sort of diet going to have on my body? and is there any way to lose weight while eating like this? any and all opinions welcome.
    I hate to say it, but ive been there and know exactly how you feel (being broke and only able to afford ramen)

As to say can you lose weight while eating only ramen? yes of course, as long as you eat with a caloric deficit. Now its not going to be the best on the body. You are going to be lacking a lot of the macro nutrients the body needs.

To maybe make it a bit healthier, see if you could possibly go buy some frozen broccoli (fairly cheap for a large bag) and no salt Mrs. Dash or something. Don't use the ramen seasoning if possible because its got an outrageous amount of sodium in it.

I would strongly suggest trying to vary from the all ramen if possibly, your probably going to feel like crap if its all you eat. Get some veggies and meat when you can, quite often you should be able to find a grocery store selling chicken leg quarters 5lb bags for like 2-4 bucks (at least in my area). there are always other options than pure ramen when broke, just gotta keep an eye out

Thanks for the help, Tipps! I'm done buying groceries for at least one more week, but the next time i hit the store i will definetly get some broccoli and chicken. I completely forgot how cheap that stuff is too. i guess ramen isnt exactly "brain food" lol

Odian is on a distinguished road. (+10) Odian is on a distinguished road. (+10) Odian is on a distinguished road. (+10) Odian is on a distinguished road. (+10) Odian is on a distinguished road. (+10) Odian is on a distinguished road. (+10) Odian is on a distinguished road. (+10) Odian is on a distinguished road. (+10) Odian is on a distinguished road. (+10) Odian is on a distinguished road. (+10) Odian is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You should supplement your ramen diet w/ milk to get some cheap protein.
    Formerly 280 lbs - July 2011

butt_sahib911 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) butt_sahib911 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) butt_sahib911 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) butt_sahib911 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) butt_sahib911 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) butt_sahib911 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) butt_sahib911 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) butt_sahib911 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) butt_sahib911 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) butt_sahib911 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) butt_sahib911 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Oh man, i ate ramen for a while and THEN i realised what a ****ty **** **** it really is.
    Youd think its low on calories and mostly fibre, but man was i freaking wrong.

http://caloriecount.about.com/calori...n-noodle-i6582

Substitute ramen with something else bro, you definitely dont want that fat and sodium in you. Or maybe one ramen for a meal and then something else. Again, if youre hitting your macros and your in a deficit, youre golden!
    Trying IF
    150-170 grams of protein
    180-200 grams of carbs
    40-60 grams of fats

1 gram of carbs = 4 calories
    1 gram of protein = 4 calories
    1 gram of fat = 9 calories

asdfvtn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) asdfvtn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    To be honest, I think a 40lbs pack of rice might be even cheaper. One bag lasts a hell of a long time. And much healthier.

jtharris79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jtharris79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jtharris79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jtharris79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jtharris79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jtharris79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jtharris79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jtharris79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jtharris79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jtharris79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jtharris79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Peanut butter may be another cheap choice to mix it up a little.
    “Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
    ― Albert Einstein

ravenhall will become famous soon enough. (+50) ravenhall will become famous soon enough. (+50) ravenhall will become famous soon enough. (+50) ravenhall will become famous soon enough. (+50) ravenhall will become famous soon enough. (+50) ravenhall will become famous soon enough. (+50) ravenhall will become famous soon enough. (+50) ravenhall will become famous soon enough. (+50) ravenhall will become famous soon enough. (+50) ravenhall will become famous soon enough. (+50) ravenhall will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Just Ramen will cause you to lose a lot of muscle mass and pack on more body fat than you'd think. The palm oil used to initially fry the noodles is highly saturated, and high palmitic acid intake has been shown in some studies to contribute to heart disease. (See WHO report on Palmitic Acid)

Having ramen (particularly when meat and vegetables are added) a few times a week isn't likely to give you problems, but I'd use something else (rice, sweet potatoes) with cheap chicken or pork as your mainstay.

BigDakota has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigDakota has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigDakota has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigDakota has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigDakota has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigDakota has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigDakota has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigDakota has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigDakota has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigDakota has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigDakota has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    heres what i did, use it if you like. went to sams and got a HUGE bag of oats. went to vitamin world and got bogo HUGE tub of nasty whey. lived on ONLY vanilla whey oats with a little maple syrup to make it taste okay. actually did pretty well.

edit: it is very filling and you get everything you need really.
    "Yes, there is icing on the cake, but the icing on the cake is the cake itself"

Motivation for the day

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142518611

Originally Posted by asdfvtn View Post
    To be honest, I think a 40lbs pack of rice might be even cheaper. One bag lasts a hell of a long time. And much healthier.
    Thanks for the advice. White rice or brown rice, which is better?

Thanks for the advice everyone! I have some natural peanut butter and i have a big container of plain oatmeal and honey that i eat every morning. I eat the ramen for 2-3 meals per day, occasionally 4. I'm going to picK up some rice the next time I go to the store. I'm starting a 8 week HIIT program today, so hopefully that will help with all the bad food I'm eating. I just joined this website yesterday and it has already given me the motivation to get back off my a** and get work done. Thanks again for all of your support guys.

Evpoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have heard of some people using this diet and losing weight. I myself have done a variation of this diet. I had an immune system disease that was swelling up my eso****us, and there were very few foods I could swallow at the time; they were ramen noodles and ice cream. I was only able to consume one serving of each per day and I lost 30 lbs that month.
    If you continue with this diet and have enough money for a supplement, I'd recommend getting fish oil pills. Some vitamin shops sell them for pretty cheap, and they can help the adverse reactions to your blood from all the consumption of sodium from the Ramen. It also depends on how much Ramen you consume daily. Also stay hydrated with water. If you can afford coconut water, that'll help keep you more hydrated

tombaron will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombaron will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombaron will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombaron will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombaron will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombaron will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombaron will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombaron will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombaron will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombaron will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombaron will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Big bag o navy beans will help, stew up with rice, add cheap seasoning and bam you got fibre and a cheap protein source.

Plain peanuts are cheaper than pb too.

I'm a cheapskate with food since backpacking Australia, what I do for my main meal each day is find the time the supermarket reduces everything and buy meat at stupidly reduced prices (1/4 price or so) batch cook it which extends its life by 2 days or so and incorporate it into the next couple of meals. It involves nightly shoppping but it's cheap.

Good luck mate!
    1/1/15: 93kg
    19/6/15 78.5kg
    27/6/15: 77kg
    3/7/15: after pre psmf 280g carb up: 76.5
    24/7/15 72.5kg (post psmf)
    6/8/15 71.25kg
    Goal:
    68kg or 30" waist, whichever comes first.
    Just keeping going, eating clean, training mean and getting lean ;)

Weight loss = (calories in < calories expended) x time, simple.