pnlp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pnlp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pnlp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pnlp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pnlp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pnlp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pnlp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pnlp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pnlp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pnlp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pnlp is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

My dad will be joining gym soon! Please help.

Title.
    My dad is 58 years old, Overweight (not obese) and works as a cabinet maker.
    He often complains about being too tired or too short of breath when coming back from work and is always sleeping.
    Mum after seeing the progress that i've made physically decided that dad should join the gym with me in hopes that he will be able to become a fitter man.

Now one thing i want to clarify that i plan for my dad to train for overall FITNESS/STRENGTH purposes and not aesthetics.
    Would it be a good idea to get him started on a basic strength program and help him transition over to a more advanced one? Cardio will be a must for him.
    Should i try to make him eat cleaner (and not neccesarily count calories in ways like bulking/cutting).
    If supplementation is a must what would be the best ones?

What would be great optimal ways of training to get him fitter then he is now?
    I would appreciate all kinds of advice especially coming from those who are older and have experience when it comes to lifting in their later years.

Thanks

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by pnlp View Post
    Title.
    He often complains about being too tired or too short of breath when coming back from work and is always sleeping.
    Mum after seeing the progress that i've made physically decided that dad should join the gym with me in hopes that he will be able to become a fitter man.

Now one thing i want to clarify that i plan for my dad to train for overall FITNESS/STRENGTH purposes and not aesthetics.
    Would it be a good idea to get him started on a basic strength program and help him transition over to a more advanced one? Cardio will be a must for him.
    Should i try to make him eat cleaner (and not neccesarily count calories in ways like bulking/cutting).

I would appreciate all kinds of advice especially coming from those who are older and have experience when it comes to lifting in their later years.

Thanks
    I see no mention here of what your dad wants to do, or what his goal might be.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Old Man Yelling at Cloud -=FLEX=-'s Avatar
    -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    I see no mention here of what your dad wants to do, or what his goal might be.
    These threads always make me LOL, for that exact reason.

Most of the middle-aged people that voluntarily join a gym and genuinely want to get in shape fail in a very short period of time.

Can't see anyone succeeding because someone else wants them to achieve goals that aren't their own.

OP, Get your Dad to join and post up and maybe we can help him.

Otherwise it's all just piss in the wind.
    Insta: flexjs

Perseverance, Inc.

Spring Supremacy 2018 - 620/345/615 @ 50 yrs old

RIP Gene Rychlak

BradMak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BradMak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BradMak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BradMak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BradMak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BradMak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BradMak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BradMak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BradMak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BradMak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BradMak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Just have him start a light weight lifting... Then cardio after

x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by pnlp View Post
    Title.

Thanks
    "complains about being too tired or too short of breath when coming back from work and is always sleeping."

Have him get checked out by a doc first b4 you get him started in any plan, then ask him what his goals are, and lastly combine both cardio and strength training.

crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    The kitchen is where he should start.

get the nutrition cleaned up and he will feel alot better.

beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by -=FLEX=- View Post
    These threads always make me LOL, for that exact reason.

Most of the middle-aged people that voluntarily join a gym and genuinely want to get in shape fail in a very short period of time.

Can't see anyone succeeding because someone else wants them to achieve goals that aren't their own.

OP, Get your Dad to join and post up and maybe we can help him.

Otherwise it's all just piss in the wind.
    X2. You have to drag your own ass off the couch and into the gym.. or else it ain't gonna work for long. I also recommend a physical first, especially with the shortness of breath thing.

This is the go-to place for help, tons of guys over 50 here with nothing but good advice.

Rob
    In space, nobody can smell Uranus....