devenyi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Advice on Functional Trainer

I'm in the process of building a gym in my basement. I know I want a power rack; but because my girlfriend's a bit intimidated, we're going to start with a functional trainer, and add the rack later. I recently moved from a condo which had a TKO 9050 functional trainer. I was happy with it there, but I wonder if I can find something better. I like the multi-pull-up bar, but with 92" ceilings, that only leaves 4" above the bar, and I'm not sure how much use I'd get out of it.
    Today we went and looked at the Vectra VX-FT 2 stack. It's a fair bit more expensive than most of the functional trainer's I've seen, and would like to hear from people who have had some experience with units like this. While you lose the full frame and pull-up bar, I really like the ability to adjust the width of the pulleys. It also has fixed attachment points, so you can set it up like a pull-up bar.

I'm not set on either of the machines mentioned, and am open to suggestions. I'm more concerned with value than price; I'm happy to spend what it takes to get whatever makes the most sense.

I tried to post links to the TKO and Vectra, but apparently I'm 49 posts away from being allowed to do so!

daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by devenyi View Post

I'm more concerned with value than price; I'm happy to spend what it takes to get whatever makes the most sense.
    The best value and the most sense would be achieved with a power rack, flat (or FID) bench, a barbell and some weight plates.

To alleviate your girlfriend's apprehension, you could get her a female spec barbell, and some information on how effective compound exercises are for both genders.

I have a functional trainer, and it continues to gather dust while I focus on heavy compound movements.

tsg2513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tsg2513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tsg2513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tsg2513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tsg2513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tsg2513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tsg2513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tsg2513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tsg2513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tsg2513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tsg2513 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by devenyi View Post
    I'm in the process of building a gym in my basement. I know I want a power rack; but because my girlfriend's a bit intimidated, we're going to start with a functional trainer, and add the rack later. I recently moved from a condo which had a TKO 9050 functional trainer. I was happy with it there, but I wonder if I can find something better. I like the multi-pull-up bar, but with 92" ceilings, that only leaves 4" above the bar, and I'm not sure how much use I'd get out of it.
    Today we went and looked at the Vectra VX-FT 2 stack. It's a fair bit more expensive than most of the functional trainer's I've seen, and would like to hear from people who have had some experience with units like this. While you lose the full frame and pull-up bar, I really like the ability to adjust the width of the pulleys. It also has fixed attachment points, so you can set it up like a pull-up bar.

I'm not set on either of the machines mentioned, and am open to suggestions. I'm more concerned with value than price; I'm happy to spend what it takes to get whatever makes the most sense.

I tried to post links to the TKO and Vectra, but apparently I'm 49 posts away from being allowed to do so!
    The Freemotion Light-Commercial Dual Cable Cross is similar to the Vectra and is about a grand cheaper. Do a Google search and you should be able to find one new for about $3,000.

It is pretty close to their full commercial functional trainer.

devenyi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by tsg2513 View Post
    The Freemotion Light-Commercial Dual Cable Cross is similar to the Vectra and is about a grand cheaper. Do a Google search and you should be able to find one new for about $3,000.

It is pretty close to their full commercial functional trainer.
    Thanks a lot, I'll look into it!