Sbaker3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sbaker3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sbaker3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sbaker3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sbaker3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sbaker3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sbaker3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sbaker3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sbaker3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sbaker3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sbaker3 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Weightlifting shoes vs barefoot stability

I am heavily debating picking up a pair of VS athletic weight lifting shoes as I squat high bar ATG, I usually squat barefoot however, and I find it hard dropping 90$ on something that may not be an improvement, currently I lift in a gym that requires shoes so that is also another factor, but I may not be there for longer then a couple months.

ridge_forrester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ridge_forrester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ridge_forrester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ridge_forrester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ridge_forrester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ridge_forrester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ridge_forrester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ridge_forrester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ridge_forrester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ridge_forrester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ridge_forrester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Get the shoes, especially if you squat that way.

The stability isn't even comparable. When I first wore lifting shoes, it was like my feet were encased in padded concrete.

Sbaker3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sbaker3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sbaker3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sbaker3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sbaker3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sbaker3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sbaker3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sbaker3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sbaker3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sbaker3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sbaker3 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ridge_forrester View Post
    Get the shoes, especially if you squat that way.

The stability isn't even comparable. When I first wore lifting shoes, it was like my feet were encased in padded concrete.
    That's what I was hoping, squatting in socks honestly doesn't feel all that stable. Plus my calves like to say **** you after more then a few weeks of continuous squatting, so hopefully with foam rolling and shoes it will be gone.

shavethefuzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) shavethefuzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) shavethefuzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) shavethefuzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) shavethefuzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) shavethefuzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) shavethefuzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) shavethefuzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) shavethefuzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) shavethefuzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) shavethefuzz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Its not the same as an Oly shoe, but you can try squatting with something under your heel. Either a running shoe with a heel or a plate under your heel. Just to see if you like that aspect of the shoe.

I like my oly shoes for Oly lifts and some strongman. As for squats, I tend to go for my chucks regardless of stance or bar position, but that is me. Oly shoes do feel sturdy, but I cant lift as much in them. My training partner likes his tho, for squats.
    Training Log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146214693
    http://maximumpoundage.blogspot.com/

Videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/shavethefuzz?feature=mhee

Originally Posted by shavethefuzz View Post
    Its not the same as an Oly shoe, but you can try squatting with something under your heel. Either a running shoe with a heel or a plate under your heel. Just to see if you like that aspect of the shoe.

I like my oly shoes for Oly lifts and some strongman. As for squats, I tend to go for my chucks regardless of stance or bar position, but that is me. Oly shoes do feel sturdy, but I cant lift as much in them. My training partner likes his tho, for squats.
    Any opinion on them vs barefoot? this is why i am up in the air, If it really helps with squat form, and I go, wow these really feel good, Its worth the money, but otherwise, I've been eyeing a bit more "fun" things

beastlifting is on a distinguished road. (+10) beastlifting is on a distinguished road. (+10) beastlifting is on a distinguished road. (+10) beastlifting is on a distinguished road. (+10) beastlifting is on a distinguished road. (+10) beastlifting is on a distinguished road. (+10) beastlifting is on a distinguished road. (+10) beastlifting is on a distinguished road. (+10) beastlifting is on a distinguished road. (+10) beastlifting is on a distinguished road. (+10) beastlifting is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Sbaker3 View Post
    Any opinion on them vs barefoot? this is why i am up in the air, If it really helps with squat form, and I go, wow these really feel good, Its worth the money, but otherwise, I've been eyeing a bit more "fun" things
    I squat around 450 low bar and i do it in Vibrams. I've owned numerous pairs of oly shoes but I never really liked them for back squats. Front squats - yes. Overhead work - yes. Oly lifts - yes. Back squats - meh. I suppose if you have trouble keeping the weight on the outsides of your feet and shooting your knees out then shoes may help.

Link815 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Link815 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Link815 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Link815 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Link815 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Link815 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Link815 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Link815 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Link815 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Link815 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Link815 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I squatted 585 in chucks before I switched to Oly shoes. I never had any trouble with knee travel or anything. I moved my stance in maybe 2" on each side, still put the bar in the same spot, and the whole move just seems so much more efficient, I squat down, I hit depth and come back up instead of having to squat down til I stopped, then drop 2" more to get depth in chucks.
    Best Sanctioned Lifts (USPA/USAPL):
    683w/452/507

Best Gym Lifts:
    675w/477.5/495

AmericanPhysco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmericanPhysco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmericanPhysco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmericanPhysco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmericanPhysco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmericanPhysco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmericanPhysco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmericanPhysco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmericanPhysco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmericanPhysco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmericanPhysco is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I low-bar squat in oly shoes (rogues). When I started using them I was still high-bar squatting and I felt like they were a huge improvement over chucks and I felt like chucks were a huge improvement over socks.

shavethefuzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) shavethefuzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) shavethefuzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) shavethefuzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) shavethefuzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) shavethefuzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) shavethefuzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) shavethefuzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) shavethefuzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) shavethefuzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) shavethefuzz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I think if you have flexibility issues(hamstrings or ankles usually) then the raised heel can help a lot. Really it's personal preference, some like them some don't. Before dropping the money you can try something like a work boot. Again not the same, but see how it feels to you.

Is your only option barefoot or oly shoe? Id get a pair of regular flat shoes(chucks, vans, addidas, whatever)if you don't have any. Oly shoes are nice to have but only for the gym.
    Training Log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146214693
    http://maximumpoundage.blogspot.com/

Videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/shavethefuzz?feature=mhee

.aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I squat high-bar and my depth improved a good amount after purchasing VS athletics. The heel is pretty high, so you have to refine your technique to sit back a bit more.

Strength Enthusiast Retardo-pex's Avatar
    Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I am heavily debating picking up a pair of VS athletic weight lifting shoes as I squat high bar ATG, I usually squat barefoot however, and I find it hard dropping 90$ on something that may not be an improvement, currently I lift in a gym that requires shoes so that is also another factor, but I may not be there for longer then a couple months.
    I had a chance to train with a local weightlifting club for a while last year at my gym, this involved going from powerlifting style squats to oly style so I grabbed a pair, I loved them. I no longer train this way but even if you just use a non oly style narrower stance squat people seem to love them. I'm still doing pretty much all of my training in chucks simply because its habit at this point and I hate carrying muliple pairs of shoes or going back and fourth from my car or locker room to change them.

No one ever told me I wasn't going deep enough but people say its easy to overestimate depth while wearing those type of shoes sometimes, so have someone watch you or use a mirror the first few times.

NIsrael is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NIsrael is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NIsrael is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NIsrael is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NIsrael is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NIsrael is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NIsrael is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NIsrael is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NIsrael is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NIsrael is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NIsrael is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by shavethefuzz View Post

oly shoes ftw if you squat narrow/high bar they will prob help you alot
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NIsrael1988/videos

MattyV is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattyV is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattyV is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattyV is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattyV is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattyV is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattyV is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattyV is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattyV is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattyV is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattyV is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I switched from Chucks to Adidas Powerlift Trainers, and i love them. well worth the $90
    "Shut up and Squat"

drarmament is just really nice. (+1000) drarmament is just really nice. (+1000) drarmament is just really nice. (+1000) drarmament is just really nice. (+1000) drarmament is just really nice. (+1000) drarmament is just really nice. (+1000) drarmament is just really nice. (+1000) drarmament is just really nice. (+1000) drarmament is just really nice. (+1000) drarmament is just really nice. (+1000) drarmament is just really nice. (+1000)
    I squat bare foot, no socks, It took me about 4 months getting use to it, now I love it, It feels different when I squat in shoes now. If I have to squat with shoes, I like using boots since the heel is raised, but that only when I'm living in a hotel. I squat at home.

iceland87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) iceland87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) iceland87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) iceland87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) iceland87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) iceland87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) iceland87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) iceland87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) iceland87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) iceland87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) iceland87 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have always squated in socks, and always deep. Did 500x5 last week and had no trouble.
    Training for WSM 2018!!!

My training log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=138113933

Kbarredo is not very well liked. (-100) Kbarredo is not very well liked. (-100) Kbarredo is not very well liked. (-100) Kbarredo is not very well liked. (-100) Kbarredo is not very well liked. (-100) Kbarredo is not very well liked. (-100) Kbarredo is not very well liked. (-100) Kbarredo is not very well liked. (-100) Kbarredo is not very well liked. (-100) Kbarredo is not very well liked. (-100) Kbarredo is not very well liked. (-100)
    I squat barefoot with highbar and its good for me. I never uderstood the must wear shoes rule. If I'm the only one going barefoot how is that bothering other people? What you think my feet are going to contaminate your shoes?

beastlifting is on a distinguished road. (+10) beastlifting is on a distinguished road. (+10) beastlifting is on a distinguished road. (+10) beastlifting is on a distinguished road. (+10) beastlifting is on a distinguished road. (+10) beastlifting is on a distinguished road. (+10) beastlifting is on a distinguished road. (+10) beastlifting is on a distinguished road. (+10) beastlifting is on a distinguished road. (+10) beastlifting is on a distinguished road. (+10) beastlifting is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Kbarredo View Post
    I squat barefoot with highbar and its good for me. I never uderstood the must wear shoes rule. If I'm the only one going barefoot how is that bothering other people? What you think my feet are going to contaminate your shoes?
    ... because your feet stink.

BTW, the OP might want to check out the Wei-Rui shoes from MaxBarbell. They received some solid feedback on http://wlshoes.com and they are about the same price as the VS models.