newuxtreme has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) newuxtreme has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) newuxtreme has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) newuxtreme has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) newuxtreme has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) newuxtreme has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) newuxtreme has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Question Are strength gains permanent?

I'm confused.
    When we workout on our 3x a week schedule. We gain strength. But supposedly we miss a workout or a week. We loose strength. It's so quick. Which means even if we're lifting 300 kg on a particular day. In about 2 months of inactivity, we'd be just as weak as the next normal guy who doesnt lift?
    Or how much of our strength do we maintain if we do at all...?

Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Permanent, no, but strength is a rather long term adaptation.
    http://youtube.com/user/Kiknskreem

spooq is just really nice. (+1000) spooq is just really nice. (+1000) spooq is just really nice. (+1000) spooq is just really nice. (+1000) spooq is just really nice. (+1000) spooq is just really nice. (+1000) spooq is just really nice. (+1000) spooq is just really nice. (+1000) spooq is just really nice. (+1000) spooq is just really nice. (+1000) spooq is just really nice. (+1000)
    You will lose the CNS adaptation faster than the strength adaptation. This means that if you come back to lifting after a break, your max will increase very rapidly back to close to where it was. The other point to make is that someone who can lift 300kg can take a year or two off (hell probably more like five), and still be far stronger than an untrained person. Even if Mark Henry sat on his sofa eating crisps for the next couple of years, do you think you could out-lift him?
    Last edited by spooq; 03-18-2009 at 04:47 AM.
    Journal - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=110967311

Goals for Xmas - No clue

RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    This could be total broscience, but take it for what it's worth. (No source either). But I've heard that fast twitch muscle that has been developed during training degenerates at a rate of 1% per week of non-training.

Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    No, some day you will die...

Edit:
    Strength gains for most people is a long term commitment and struggle, besides the gains you first get in the first month to two years depending on the person (newbie gains). A person can easily loose strength very easy. In as little as two weeks you can start to loose strength. Now if you think you lost strength by only missing one workout then it is completely mental. That will not happen. Not working out for several months can easily wipe out any gains that were had in a year or two of training. I've found that out myself. How ever it is typically, this is totally anecdotal, easier to gain that strength back then it was to gain the first time as long as you're not taking like a year or more off. Some call it muscle memory. What ever the hell that is.
    Last edited by Jason2459; 03-18-2009 at 06:15 AM.
    My Training Journal: http://tinyurl.com/jasons-journal
    My Video Training Journal: www.youtube.com/user/jason24590
    08/17:245,185,275 02/18:345,275,380
    06/18:405;315,455
    goal: hit previous SBD #s again 524,364,562
    current meet PRs: ---/---/--- ---

What NorthStrong's sig. says

Power_11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Power_11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Power_11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Power_11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Power_11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Power_11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Power_11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Power_11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Power_11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Power_11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Power_11 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Jason2459 View Post
    No, some day you will die...

Edit:
    Strength gains for most people is a long term commitment and struggle, besides the gains you first get in the first month to two years depending on the person (newbie gains). A person can easily loose strength very easy. In as little as two weeks you can start to loose strength. Now if you think you lost strength by only missing one workout then it is completely mental. That will not happen. Not working out for several months can easily wipe out any gains that were had in a year or two of training. I've found that out myself. How ever it is typically, this is totally anecdotal, easier to gain that strength back then it was to gain the first time as long as you're not taking like a year or more off. Some call it muscle memory. What ever the hell that is.
    Yeah, thats true. Strength comes back pretty quick, not muscle mass.

Strength is sort of a skill for the body. Being stronger is about your body knowing how to recruit more fibres or motor nuerons or whatever for the lift. Your body remembers how to do that quickly.

Like riding a bike, you can get good and strat doing tricks and stuff.If you stop for a while then come back, your timing is gonna be slightly off (or way off if you've been out for a while) but you get the hang of it pretty quickly because its just about re-learning what you once knew.

SEOINAGEbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SEOINAGEbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SEOINAGEbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SEOINAGEbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SEOINAGEbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SEOINAGEbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SEOINAGEbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SEOINAGEbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SEOINAGEbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SEOINAGEbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SEOINAGEbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    From someone who has trained off and on with weights for over a decade, I know you lose strength and muscle mass. Like what was said, even two months off could set you back almost a year. I took two months off when we had our first child, and built my home gym during that time. Took 6 months to have reasonable lifts again. I also took a couple years off at one point, and it didn't come back so fast, spent a few years to get anywhere near where I was before it, but I made gains well beyond it when I got there.

Its something you have to keep working at, sure its easy to maintain with minimal training, but you still have to train.

I hope to still be training till the day I die, don't ever want to be weak again.

bigkarl is not very well liked. (-100) bigkarl is not very well liked. (-100) bigkarl is not very well liked. (-100) bigkarl is not very well liked. (-100) bigkarl is not very well liked. (-100) bigkarl is not very well liked. (-100) bigkarl is not very well liked. (-100) bigkarl is not very well liked. (-100) bigkarl is not very well liked. (-100) bigkarl is not very well liked. (-100) bigkarl is not very well liked. (-100)
    No, but you'd have to lose a lot weight+ take a really long time off to lose significant strength. I didn't lose anything off of my bench press after shoulder tendonitis and 4 months off. squat and dead lift stayed the same too

Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by SEOINAGEbb View Post
    From someone who has trained off and on with weights for over a decade, I know you lose strength and muscle mass. Like what was said, even two months off could set you back almost a year. I took two months off when we had our first child, and built my home gym during that time. Took 6 months to have reasonable lifts again. I also took a couple years off at one point, and it didn't come back so fast, spent a few years to get anywhere near where I was before it, but I made gains well beyond it when I got there.

Its something you have to keep working at, sure its easy to maintain with minimal training, but you still have to train.

I hope to still be training till the day I die, don't ever want to be weak again.
    Originally Posted by bigkarl View Post
    No, but you'd have to lose a lot weight+ take a really long time off to lose significant strength. I didn't lose anything off of my bench press after shoulder tendonitis and 4 months off. squat and dead lift stayed the same too
    Interesting and very contradicting experiences. Perhaps genetics?

SEOINAGEbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SEOINAGEbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SEOINAGEbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SEOINAGEbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SEOINAGEbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SEOINAGEbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SEOINAGEbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SEOINAGEbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SEOINAGEbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SEOINAGEbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SEOINAGEbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    could be, i probably lost 15-20 lbs of muscle during the two years off, poor diet, no training etc.

shavethefuzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) shavethefuzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) shavethefuzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) shavethefuzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) shavethefuzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) shavethefuzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) shavethefuzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) shavethefuzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) shavethefuzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) shavethefuzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) shavethefuzz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by RyHam View Post
    This could be total broscience, but take it for what it's worth. (No source either). But I've heard that fast twitch muscle that has been developed during training degenerates at a rate of 1% per week of non-training.
    Fast twitch fibers are actually the default fiber type, so you have to do endurance training to "lose" them, really turn them into slow twitch.

What may be happening in your senecio is Type IIa fibers detaining and going back to Type IIb. Its weird and confusing, but any training gets you away from the most explosive fiber Type, technically speaking.

How much you may lose and how fast depends on a lot of factors, a couple big ones IMO would be:

Do you need the time off because you have built up a lot of fatigue, like taking a deload. I was out for 4 weeks completely and 2 light weeks after a car accident, and actually came back and PRed squat and bench.

Other big factor is what are you doing with the time away from lifting? If you stay active, play sports, whatever, you will hold more, longer. If you sit on the couch all day you can lose more, faster.
    Training Log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146214693
    http://maximumpoundage.blogspot.com/

Videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/shavethefuzz?feature=mhee

NIsrael is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NIsrael is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NIsrael is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NIsrael is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NIsrael is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NIsrael is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NIsrael is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NIsrael is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NIsrael is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NIsrael is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NIsrael is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by shavethefuzz View Post
    Fast twitch fibers are actually the default fiber type, so you have to do endurance training to "lose" them, really turn them into slow twitch.

What may be happening in your senecio is Type IIa fibers detaining and going back to Type IIb. Its weird and confusing, but any training gets you away from the most explosive fiber Type, technically speaking.

How much you may lose and how fast depends on a lot of factors, a couple big ones IMO would be:

Do you need the time off because you have built up a lot of fatigue, like taking a deload. I was out for 4 weeks completely and 2 light weeks after a car accident, and actually came back and PRed squat and bench.

Other big factor is what are you doing with the time away from lifting? If you stay active, play sports, whatever, you will hold more, longer. If you sit on the couch all day you can lose more, faster.
    look at you remembering things from your anatomy and physiology degree good job sir
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NIsrael1988/videos