rafiki121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rafiki121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rafiki121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rafiki121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rafiki121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rafiki121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rafiki121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rafiki121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rafiki121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rafiki121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rafiki121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What to do with the skinny fat syndrome?

Hey guys I was on this forum searching around and came across the term skinny fat and i think i have associated myself to this term. Basically I have a flat chest and a pot belly like im either pregnant or the character ET. Someone told me that if i just lifted weights my stomach would shrink and my chest will pop out and things will be proportional. I lifted weights for about 4 months starting feb to june. I was getting a bit bigger, developed some side pecks but inner pecks were still caved in. The worst part is that my stomach did not get flat at all. I would be doing bicep curls in front of the mirror and i'll see my belly popping out. Very discouraging. My routine was a 4 day workout which consisted chest one day, biceps/back, shoulder/tricep, legs, and abs two times a week. After the 4months i decided to do the insanity program which i started june 18 or so. I recently finished the 4th week. The changes ive seen so far is the definition of my abs when i tighten my stomach. Its hard but yet when i relax you still see a pot belly. Should i be continuing the insanity program or just go straight back to the gym and keep lifting? May anyone please help me and tell me what I need to do to lose this. I think my fat is more visceral fat which i heard its hard to get rid of.

When i went on a cruise in beginning of june a fitness guy at the gym had a presentation about losing weight and he said one of the first steps is to go on a detox. He said something about taking green algae pills so that it will detox your body and remove the water that surrounded your fat which helped prevent you from being sick due to the bad eating habits. Once the water is gone your work outs will start attacking the fat. I'm sorry if this don't make sense to anyone but thats what he said and I kind of didnt understand.

Thank You

IMAG0294.jpgIMAG0295.jpgIMAG0297.jpg

Self proclaimed parrot Determinednoob's Avatar
    Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Lift while eating maintenance until you stall then bulk then cut. Check the thread on my sig for more info.
    The floundering has ended.

RW2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RW2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RW2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RW2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RW2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RW2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RW2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RW2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RW2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RW2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RW2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I decided to say screw it and just start bulking. I'll worry about cutting when I don't feel tiny anymore, even if I gain some fat. At least I'll be muscular-fat and not skinny fat haha. Just my thoughts on the issue.

Also, don't listen to that detox crap. It's a scam for them to get you to buy some worthless product. If you want to lose fat or gain muscle, I'd recommend heading to the nutrition subforum and do some reading. Educate yourself on the principles of nutrition, find a solid beginner's lifting routine, and eat/lift accordingly.

rafiki121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rafiki121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rafiki121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rafiki121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rafiki121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rafiki121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rafiki121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rafiki121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rafiki121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rafiki121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rafiki121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Determinednoob View Post
    Lift while eating maintenance until you stall then bulk then cut. Check the thread on my sig for more info.
    Whats this thread on your sig? how do i find it?

gspratley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gspratley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gspratley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gspratley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gspratley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gspratley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gspratley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gspratley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gspratley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gspratley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gspratley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Begin weight training and just watch what you eat. It's really as simple as that. You'll see results trust me.

Self proclaimed parrot Determinednoob's Avatar
    Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by rafiki121 View Post
    Whats this thread on your sig? how do i find it?
    You would look at my signature, find the url there, copy and paste it into your address bar, hit Enter. But here, I'll paste if for you http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=146519303
    The floundering has ended.

v8hemi is on a distinguished road. (+10) v8hemi is on a distinguished road. (+10) v8hemi is on a distinguished road. (+10) v8hemi is on a distinguished road. (+10) v8hemi is on a distinguished road. (+10) v8hemi is on a distinguished road. (+10) v8hemi is on a distinguished road. (+10) v8hemi is on a distinguished road. (+10) v8hemi is on a distinguished road. (+10) v8hemi is on a distinguished road. (+10) v8hemi is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by gspratley View Post
    Begin weight training and just watch what you eat. It's really as simple as that. You'll see results trust me.
    Yeah until his noob gains stop and he hits a plateau. Not everyone is a genetic superfreak. He's eventually going to have to decide whether he wants to cut or bulk.

I agree with determinednoob, as he commonly posts in these skinny fat threads. However it's up to the OP to decide what's more important. Can you deal with being fat and potentially get fatter for a few months to bulk up? Or would you rather cut down to a twig then bulk up? I prefer to get into the 15% BF range then bulk up. This all depends on where you fall after your noob gains stop working for you and your lifts stall while eating at maintenance.
    Last edited by v8hemi; 07-18-2012 at 11:17 AM.

timshady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timshady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timshady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timshady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timshady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timshady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timshady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timshady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timshady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timshady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timshady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    In order to get strong you're going to have to gain some weight. Watching what you eat is 80% of becoming lean/fit/strong/whatever because you can bust your ass off in the gym and go home and eat cake and cookies and ruin everything.

Go to the gym. Do Starting Strength if you feel like buying a book, otherwise, search up All Pro's Beginner Routine and start doing it. Start counting calories/macros using an app/website like myfitnesspal and make sure you're hitting your fat/protein macros then just watch the mirror.

As for how much you should eat. Find your TDEE (nutrition section, calculating calories and macros) then start eating 10%-20% more than that making sure to keep your macros in check.

Don't look at the scale, it's not your friend and will ruin your motivation. Keep an eye on your body and if you notice that you're gaining weight fast and getting chubbier than you were, cut down a bit on the carbs/fats and eat a bit less. Eventually you'll be looking very good. It'll be a few months though, you've got to commit to it.
    Useful Links:
    1. Calories Macros
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981
    2. Starting Strength
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224&p=13263157#post13263157
    3. All Pro's
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

Link to SS log V1 (pre-meniscus tear) : http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146000143
    Link to SS log V2 (post-meniscus tear) : http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=148629193

I think i can deal with being a bit fatter. As long as its proportional. So i should just bulk up and lift big weights?

v8hemi is on a distinguished road. (+10) v8hemi is on a distinguished road. (+10) v8hemi is on a distinguished road. (+10) v8hemi is on a distinguished road. (+10) v8hemi is on a distinguished road. (+10) v8hemi is on a distinguished road. (+10) v8hemi is on a distinguished road. (+10) v8hemi is on a distinguished road. (+10) v8hemi is on a distinguished road. (+10) v8hemi is on a distinguished road. (+10) v8hemi is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by rafiki121 View Post
    I think i can deal with being a bit fatter. As long as its proportional. So i should just bulk up and lift big weights?
    If you're new to lifting first start off with what was recommended above. Find your BMR and eat at maintenance until your lifts start stalling. Then you can decide from there whether you prefer to bulk or cut.

Originally Posted by v8hemi View Post
    If you're new to lifting first start off with what was recommended above. Find your BMR and eat at maintenance until your lifts start stalling. Then you can decide from there whether you prefer to bulk or cut.
    I was lifting for about 4 months. My triceps definitely got stronger but my chest not sure

tech99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tech99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tech99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tech99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tech99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tech99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tech99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tech99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tech99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tech99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tech99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    looking at you side pictures, you have extremely bad posture. you do not have that much abdominal fat, you are just hunched over and sticking your stomach out. keep your head up, shoulders back, chest out and keep your abs tight. fix that **** or you will have bad problems with your spine

So i'm suppose to be sucking in my stomach all the time? I can keep the core tight but is it normal to put strength into it. Thought it was suppose to be natural. Would i be better off doing the P90X?

timshady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timshady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timshady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timshady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timshady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timshady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timshady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timshady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timshady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timshady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timshady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    you'd be better off doing a strength program. Ones like SS or all pros will get your muscles where they need to be.
    I have to stress proper form though. It's not a big deal when you start out because you're not very strong, but post a couple videos on the forums for a form check after you do them a few times. Watch youtube to get it down. Once you do that it's easy.

Once you start lifting heavy you'll notice that your form will probably get better on its own.
    Useful Links:
    1. Calories Macros
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981
    2. Starting Strength
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224&p=13263157#post13263157
    3. All Pro's
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

Link to SS log V1 (pre-meniscus tear) : http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146000143
    Link to SS log V2 (post-meniscus tear) : http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=148629193