1Michael1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How come programs like P90X works for building muscle

Hello guys,

I am completely new here so at first I am sorry if my question will sound stupid. I have been reading this forum for few weeks and one thing I realised is that if somebody wants to gain muscle, most of you tell him to forget about things rowing machines etc and focus on weight lifting instead. This makes sense to me but then how come programs like P90X where there is not weight lifting work? I mean you only work there with weight of your body and most of the moves are more like a cardio right? But I have seen some results and they were fantastic and people have gained tremendous portion of muscles.

I am asking because I am slim and want to gain some muscles. But I personally prefer more toned/refined body type like Ryan Reynolds etc instead of heavy bulky type so I am not sure what should I focus. The second thing is that I find weight lifting really boring so I am trying to find anything else which will help as well

Thank you very much for explanation because I am getting kinda lost.

Michael

kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Most people on this forum would tell you that P90X does NOT work very well for muscle gain. I am one of them.

P90X advertizes galore pictures of people making dramatic transformations so you assume everyone has those transformations.

But what about testimonies of people who didn't have much luck with p90x?

Well if you go to this picture of yours truly, you will see on the left side the muscle development I had after three back to back rounds of P90X, and on the right, you will see the muscle development I had after 1 year of weight lifting:

http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/ph...photo/12455162

You decide what's more effective

P.S. To get Ryan Reynold's body, you have to get reasonably bulky first, definitely at least as much as I have now, and then go a diet in order to achieve low body fat. If Ryan didn't have a solid muscle base, he'd look like a stick at his body fat %. If he had 15% bodyfat, he'd look quite bulky by everyday standards, believe it or not.
    Last edited by kanis999; 07-17-2012 at 01:55 PM.

RyanJohnson9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RyanJohnson9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RyanJohnson9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RyanJohnson9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RyanJohnson9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RyanJohnson9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RyanJohnson9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RyanJohnson9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RyanJohnson9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RyanJohnson9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RyanJohnson9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    First off, I've done p90x myself with a decent diet and barely achieved any muscle gains. I was very slim also and wanted to build muscle. I spent around $300 on a bench with a bar and weights, some dumbbells, and I became friends with someone who knew what he was doing. I found working out alone boring but with a friend it becomes a habit fast. After a month it was a part of my life and I haven't quit since. So basically what I'm trying to say is that p90x and those workout programs wont help without a good diet but you can have a decent diet with tons of compound lifts like a bench press/shoulder press/ ect. and you'll make all kinds of gains.

1Michael1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thank you guys. I am just still kinda scared of lifting weights I really do not want to end up bulky. I want to have extremely low body fat and beeing ripped. I am looking more into male-models type of body. Do you think for example rowing machine together with cardio like running etc will do a job?

Leg0pc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leg0pc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leg0pc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leg0pc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leg0pc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leg0pc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leg0pc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leg0pc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leg0pc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leg0pc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leg0pc is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by 1Michael1 View Post
    Thank you guys. I am just still kinda scared of lifting weights I really do not want to end up bulky. I want to have extremely low body fat and beeing ripped. I am looking more into male-models type of body. Do you think for example rowing machine together with cardio like running etc will do a job?
    no. Your answer was already in the responses above. Its obvious you don't want to hear the truth bud, but its the truth ;/
    PT - ISSA Certified
    Sports Medicine - NASM
    Nutritionist - NASM

Workout Vlog www.youtube.com/leg0

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Muscular development in terms of bodybuilding...what many in this section strive for...is vastly different from the progress p90x will give you. We're talking significant muscle mass, which only progressive overload will give you.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Leg0pc View Post
    no. Your answer was already in the responses above. Its obvious you don't want to hear the truth bud, but its the truth ;/
    Yes, OP please re-read this part:

"P.S. To get Ryan Reynold's body, you have to get reasonably bulky first, definitely at least as much as I have now, and then go a diet in order to achieve low body fat. If Ryan didn't have a solid muscle base, he'd look like a stick at his body fat %. If he had 15% bodyfat, he'd look quite bulky by everyday standards, believe it or not. "

Once again - Ryan Reynolds had to have been bulky at one point in order to look the way he does now! Getting bulk is part of the process because you can't build muscle without gaining some fat.

mbaoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mbaoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mbaoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mbaoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mbaoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mbaoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mbaoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mbaoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mbaoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mbaoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mbaoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have done two cycles of p90x and I can tell you that you will become stronger. More likely than not however, you will not end up ripped like those in the commercials.

The only examples I can remember is with tricep pushups. Before, I could not get off the floor, I was just too weak. After, I was busting them out easily. At the end of it all, my measurements were slightly bigger. Maybe 1/4-1/2 an inch in some places. But you couldnt really tell.

I have had better results from going to the gym and I am much stronger than I was post 90x.

Oh and please, get that "Im afraid I might get bulky" crap out of your head. Seriously. Trust me, gaining muscle is alot harder than you seem to think. You can work your ass off and hardly grow. If your worried you will end up looking like Ronnie Coleman, dont worry because it will never Happen.

dd564 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dd564 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm doing P90X right now. Just a couple weeks in and I'm seeing some muscular gains and no weight loss. Eating clean diet. I think the people who look best on P90X are the big guys who have big arms already who end up losing 25 - 50 lbs and end up in the 185 lb range.

I believe people can get bigger on P90X, but it's not the majority.

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you look at the p90x success stories on the web-site, they mainly show people that have slimmed down. Some of them look like they might have more muscle, but I wouldn't say it's that much mass.

P90X has you doing exercises back to back, with little rest times, to condition your fatigue system, and prevent you from getting exhausted from physical activity.

TheDLink is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheDLink is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheDLink is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheDLink is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheDLink is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheDLink is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheDLink is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheDLink is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheDLink is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheDLink is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheDLink is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    remember that most of the people who start p90x are average people who dont workout on a regular basis. most of the peoples results are noobie gains IMO

PLJSocka has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PLJSocka has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PLJSocka has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PLJSocka has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PLJSocka has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PLJSocka has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PLJSocka has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PLJSocka has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PLJSocka has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PLJSocka has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PLJSocka has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Probably the biggest fallacy in all of beginner lifting. You don't just pick up weights one day and end up huge. It takes years of intense lifting/proper dieting to get huge, then a significant amount of 'gear' to get even bigger. If you want a male-model type body, you're looking at 190 lbs at 8% body fat, you aren't going to get there without lifting weights.

Serious lifting isn't easy, if it was, everyone would do it and we'd all be IFBB pros.

32bulkcycle is not very well liked. (-100) 32bulkcycle is not very well liked. (-100) 32bulkcycle is not very well liked. (-100) 32bulkcycle is not very well liked. (-100) 32bulkcycle is not very well liked. (-100) 32bulkcycle is not very well liked. (-100) 32bulkcycle is not very well liked. (-100) 32bulkcycle is not very well liked. (-100) 32bulkcycle is not very well liked. (-100) 32bulkcycle is not very well liked. (-100) 32bulkcycle is not very well liked. (-100)
    I bet you do want Ryan Reynolds body. I love when dudes say "i want Ryan Reynolds body" or "id love Ryan Goslings body". Im always thinking ya i bet you do

motagraff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) motagraff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) motagraff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) motagraff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) motagraff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    How dyou find lifting weights boring??!!

Lol if you want to look like ryan reynolds start lifting heavy weights....

Joe513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joe513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joe513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joe513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joe513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joe513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joe513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joe513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joe513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joe513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joe513 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I did P90x and loved it but I HATE it when some of these people flex their arms, thinking they are jacked.. But they are literally 12inches flexed, pumped. I guess if they are happy thats great.

P90x is good for a beginner, I got it new but for $60, and then got Insanity for free and did it. I would do other beach body programs and i'm not afraid to say it. But don't think your going to get amazing results because your doing P90x. You get amazing results from hardwork.

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Go away.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by chazzy1864 View Post
    go away.
    rofl
    I remove my shirt to poop crew
    Hookey Pookey crew

Captain Funpants' Poop Log of Excellence:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146431903

ironlifestyle6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironlifestyle6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironlifestyle6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironlifestyle6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironlifestyle6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironlifestyle6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironlifestyle6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironlifestyle6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironlifestyle6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironlifestyle6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironlifestyle6 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by chazzy1864 View Post
    Go away.
    Haha i always find your reaponses a comical relief

How Bad Do You Want It? P90XVeteran's Avatar
    P90XVeteran is a jewel in the rough. (+500) P90XVeteran is a jewel in the rough. (+500) P90XVeteran is a jewel in the rough. (+500) P90XVeteran is a jewel in the rough. (+500) P90XVeteran is a jewel in the rough. (+500) P90XVeteran is a jewel in the rough. (+500) P90XVeteran is a jewel in the rough. (+500) P90XVeteran is a jewel in the rough. (+500) P90XVeteran is a jewel in the rough. (+500) P90XVeteran is a jewel in the rough. (+500) P90XVeteran is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Hello guys,

I am completely new here so at first I am sorry if my question will sound stupid. I have been reading this forum for few weeks and one thing I realised is that if somebody wants to gain muscle, most of you tell him to forget about things rowing machines etc and focus on weight lifting instead. This makes sense to me but then how come programs like P90X where there is not weight lifting work? I mean you only work there with weight of your body and most of the moves are more like a cardio right? But I have seen some results and they were fantastic and people have gained tremendous portion of muscles.

I am asking because I am slim and want to gain some muscles. But I personally prefer more toned/refined body type like Ryan Reynolds etc instead of heavy bulky type so I am not sure what should I focus. The second thing is that I find weight lifting really boring so I am trying to find anything else which will help as well

Thank you very much for explanation because I am getting kinda lost.

Michael
    P90X is a good program to do. I've only done P90X and another beachbody program called Insanity. I've gained the results I wanted plus more. They're only getting better . Give it a shot.

PS! Please have good nutrition! If you don't you'll be sour like these guys :P lol

jolanar1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jolanar1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jolanar1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jolanar1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jolanar1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jolanar1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jolanar1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jolanar1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jolanar1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jolanar1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jolanar1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Also you have to remember a ton of those P90X transformation videos on youtube are just completely and utterly fake. (IE I seriously doubt they gained 30 lbs of muscle and lost 30 lbs of fat just from doing nothing but 1 round of P90X)