Flexasian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Shoulder pain during Bench Press

Hi

Everytime I start bench pressing I get this shoulder pain every time I lower the bar to about the 90 degrees. Its like a sharp pain in my joint. However, after a few sets it kinda goes away.
    Any ideas?

TheDLink is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheDLink is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheDLink is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheDLink is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheDLink is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheDLink is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheDLink is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheDLink is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheDLink is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheDLink is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheDLink is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    maybe you have something inflamed in your shoulder area, like a tendonitis or bursitis, and the longer you work out the more blood flows to that area so you feel less pain.

EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    If you aren't already retracting your shoulder blades when you bench press then give that a shot. Similarly, wider grip on the bar and more flared elbows will put more stress on your shoulders. Narrowing your grip and tucking your elbows closer to your sides will protect your shoulders more.

Registered User LlamaWithARifle's Avatar
    LlamaWithARifle is just really nice. (+1000) LlamaWithARifle is just really nice. (+1000) LlamaWithARifle is just really nice. (+1000) LlamaWithARifle is just really nice. (+1000) LlamaWithARifle is just really nice. (+1000) LlamaWithARifle is just really nice. (+1000) LlamaWithARifle is just really nice. (+1000) LlamaWithARifle is just really nice. (+1000) LlamaWithARifle is just really nice. (+1000) LlamaWithARifle is just really nice. (+1000) LlamaWithARifle is just really nice. (+1000)
    http://train.elitefts.com/instructio...ench-parts1-7/

Check the entire video series, Tate teaches the bench press to a lifter who has already had problems with his shoulder.

Registered User unclejesseshair's Avatar
    unclejesseshair has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) unclejesseshair has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) unclejesseshair has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) unclejesseshair has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) unclejesseshair has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) unclejesseshair has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) unclejesseshair has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) unclejesseshair has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) unclejesseshair has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) unclejesseshair has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) unclejesseshair has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I used to have this problem when I went heavier when I was new to bench pressing.

One way to protect your joints is to tuck your shoulder blades under and into the bench. push your shoulder blades together like you are going to squat and press them up against the bench and keep it slightly tense. this will give you a solid platform to perform the press. it also pushes/puffs your chest slightly up so can get proper tension on your pecs as you press.

also, you may want to start training your rotator cuffs with light weights. look em up.