Thread: SS : Chin ups?

ITomI has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ITomI has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

SS : Chin ups?

I understand SS 3rd edition is

A: Squat, Bench, Power Clean, *Chin ups

B: Squat, Press, Deadlift, *Dips

All I want to clarify is:

1. Are chin ups there to hit the lats, since power clean hits the upper back?

2. When it says chin ups, would that be palms toward or away?

3. Do palms toward still hit lats?

thanks
    Last edited by ITomI; 07-16-2012 at 10:40 AM.

daavig will become famous soon enough. (+50) daavig will become famous soon enough. (+50) daavig will become famous soon enough. (+50) daavig will become famous soon enough. (+50) daavig will become famous soon enough. (+50) daavig will become famous soon enough. (+50) daavig will become famous soon enough. (+50) daavig will become famous soon enough. (+50) daavig will become famous soon enough. (+50) daavig will become famous soon enough. (+50) daavig will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    1: Idk
    2: Yes. Pick one and get better at it over time...doesn't really matter in the long run. Hands out and wide looks more bad ass because its a military pullup but chinups (hands facing in) are easier for most people and involve more bicep which might be ideal for you. Pick one and stick with it, once you get to 2 sets of 12+ reps you can start adding weight and the fun begins

ITomI has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ITomI has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by daavig View Post
    1: Idk
    2: Yes. Pick one and get better at it over time...doesn't really matter in the long run. Hands out and wide looks more bad ass because its a military pullup but chinups (hands facing in) are easier for most people and involve more bicep which might be ideal for you. Pick one and stick with it, once you get to 2 sets of 12+ reps you can start adding weight and the fun begins
    Thanks, I'm better at chins since they're easier, I can do around 10 chins but only 6-7 pull ups.. also my pull up bar is not wide enough to do good pull ups so I will stick with chin ups if they still hit lats, edit: Do chin ups still hit lats?

anyone know question 1 regarding SS?

MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000)
    Actually, dips are not there by default.

Chinups use a supinated grip, shoulder-width, or closer if you prefer.

Power cleans don't really hit the lats (which are not part of the "upper back", anyway). If I were to rewrite SS, it would have chinups in there immediately. Also not bad for biceps, forearms and grip strength. As soon as you can do 3 sets of ~8, I'd add weight, personally (and keep doing so). According to SS 3rd edition, it's 3 sets of 15, IIRC. Up to you...

Self proclaimed parrot Determinednoob's Avatar
    Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    IIRC the 3rd edt actually does say to include chins from the start
    The floundering has ended.

Originally Posted by MichaelCJ View Post
    Actually, dips are not there by default.

Chinups use a supinated grip, shoulder-width, or closer if you prefer.

Power cleans don't really hit the lats (which are not part of the "upper back", anyway). If I were to rewrite SS, it would have chinups in there immediately. Also not bad for biceps, forearms and grip strength. As soon as you can do 3 sets of ~8, I'd add weight, personally (and keep doing so). According to SS 3rd edition, it's 3 sets of 15, IIRC. Up to you...
    I see, I feel power cleans in my traps a lot so I figured its upper back, thanks, should I just chins in workout A or put them in B as well?

Originally Posted by Determinednoob View Post
    I will do this then for sure, but A or B or both?

EnglandLifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) EnglandLifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) EnglandLifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) EnglandLifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) EnglandLifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) EnglandLifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) EnglandLifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) EnglandLifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) EnglandLifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) EnglandLifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) EnglandLifter is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    2. ive noticed since doing each set with different grip ive got better at them all, i do 1 palms facing close grip 1 set wide palms facing away then 1 set with a hammer curl kind of grip palms facing each other

Self proclaimed parrot Determinednoob's Avatar
    Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by ITomI View Post
    I see, I feel power cleans in my traps a lot so I figured its upper back, thanks, should I just chins in workout A or put them in B as well?

I will do this then for sure, but A or B or both?
    Some people would tell you you could do them every day if you like. I will do them on bench day and do dips on OHP day.
    The floundering has ended.

Some people would tell you you could do them every day if you like. I will do them on bench day and do dips on OHP day.
    Alright, I will definitely do it bench day (A) and see how I feel on OHP day,

MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000)
    Nope.

ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I do my chins on the first and last session of each week

3 sets, but I switch the grip everytime

and the order every session

One set palms facing away from me

One set palms facing towards from me

One set palms facing each other

yup123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) yup123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) yup123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) yup123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) yup123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) yup123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) yup123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) yup123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) yup123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) yup123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) yup123 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    if you haven't already, look up baby lover's SS. It's a much more complete program imo

ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000)
    babylover's is a waste of time

bubbyau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bubbyau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bubbyau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bubbyau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bubbyau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bubbyau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bubbyau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bubbyau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bubbyau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bubbyau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bubbyau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by MichaelCJ View Post
    Nope.
    More precisely its this:

A
    squat 3x5
    press 3x5
    deadlift 1x5

B
    squat 3x5
    bench press 3x5
    deadlift 1x5

Then this after a couple weeks:

A
    squat 3x5
    press 3x5
    deadlift 1x5

B
    squat 3x5
    bench press 3x5
    power clean 5x3

Then this after a few weeks:

A
    squat 3x5
    press 3x5
    deadlift 1x5/power clean 5x3(alternating)

B
    squat 3x5
    bench press 3x5
    back extensions 3x10
    chin-ups/pull-ups 3xFailure(15 max)(alternating)