Thread: Ice Baths

lawrencerayner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Ice Baths

I have just started using ice baths after my training sessions and after games and have found them really beneficial. I was just wondering what other people thought of icebaths and what they also used. At our club we have just purchased a regulated inflatable ice bath from whitegold fitness. If you are interested i suggest you check them out.

Ryansg155 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by lawrencerayner View Post
    I have just started using ice baths after my training sessions and after games and have found them really beneficial. I was just wondering what other people thought of icebaths and what they also used. At our club we have just purchased a regulated inflatable ice bath from whitegold fitness. If you are interested i suggest you check them out.
    Personally I love ice baths, playing at a high level sport where I train everyday on artificial turf (so hard on the legs), my legs get pretty beat up to the point where I developed shin splints. I used the ice baths and also standing in my pool in September/October and being in Canada it can get pretty cold haha. I used them combined with other techniques and I no longer have any leg pains.

Macca400 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm a big fan of ice baths just out of one about 15mins ago. Not always the most pleasant experience but after track session it makes my legs feel brand new. Some times a bit of pain when you don't have proper facilities for them. But parents baths does nicely.

Do you guys find your ankles suffer the most with the pain from the cold?

Team MuscleTech Rep MuscleTechIan's Avatar
    MuscleTechIan will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleTechIan will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleTechIan will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleTechIan will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleTechIan will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleTechIan will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleTechIan will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleTechIan will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleTechIan will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleTechIan will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleTechIan will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I always found that my legs took an extraordinary amount of time to recover and once I started with ice baths the recovery time was cut in half. Like Macca said, not the most fun technique for recovering but definitely works.
    Team MuscleTech Rep

Support Team MuscleTech and Vote NeuroCore for Supplement of the Year! - http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/2012-supplement-awards.html

********.com/MuscleTech | Twitter.com/TeamMuscleTech | Twitter.com/MuscleTechDeals | YouTube.com/TeamMuscleTechVideos | Groups.bodybuilding.com/Team_MuscleTech

FutureHulk1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FutureHulk1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FutureHulk1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FutureHulk1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FutureHulk1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FutureHulk1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FutureHulk1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FutureHulk1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FutureHulk1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FutureHulk1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FutureHulk1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I love Ice baths too. There is something about getting in to one after a game that makes you feel badass, or a pro.

konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Quick question, when do you guys take them? EG: once a week.... and
    How for how long 10-15 minutes?!

Team MuscleTech Rep MuscleTechIan's Avatar
    MuscleTechIan will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleTechIan will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleTechIan will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleTechIan will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleTechIan will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleTechIan will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleTechIan will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleTechIan will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleTechIan will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleTechIan will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleTechIan will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Personally I really only utilize them after leg day because I find it takes me a long time to recover after my leg training.

I find 10 minutes is enough but sometimes it depends on how much you can take.
    Team MuscleTech Rep

Support Team MuscleTech and Vote NeuroCore for Supplement of the Year! - http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/2012-supplement-awards.html

********.com/MuscleTech | Twitter.com/TeamMuscleTech | Twitter.com/MuscleTechDeals | YouTube.com/TeamMuscleTechVideos | Groups.bodybuilding.com/Team_MuscleTech

Registered User RedneckFootball's Avatar
    RedneckFootball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedneckFootball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedneckFootball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedneckFootball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedneckFootball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedneckFootball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedneckFootball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedneckFootball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedneckFootball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedneckFootball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedneckFootball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ice baths are great for recovery, i only do 7 minutes at a time though, saw on nike training on youtube that should be youir maximum time, but if you do need more time in there get out after seven minutes wait and warm up, then hop right back in for another 7 minutes
    Spruce Grove Panthers starting DE #91

Apart of Spruce Grove Powerlifting

Bench 275 x 1
    Deadlift 455 x 1
    16'' Box Squat 335 x 1

thermobear has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm surprised to learn ice baths help recovery..is this scientifically proven?
    The first thought that comes to mind is that i"l get my muscles sore from an ice bath after game/workout.

Should try that one.

SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by thermobear View Post
    I'm surprised to learn ice baths help recovery..is this scientifically proven?
    The first thought that comes to mind is that i"l get my muscles sore from an ice bath after game/workout.

Should try that one.
    Ice baths are extremely beneficial to recovery and prevention. It is a proven fact and is used by every single professional and collegiate sport team used in this world.

It's not like its method that some ppl believe in and others don't. It is a 100% proven fact that it works. not everyone NEEDS it but even if you dont need it, a lot use it as just prevention and quicker recovery.

what makes you think that an ice bath will make you sore and make things worse after a workout? lol.

thermobear has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by SDOptimist View Post
    Ice baths are extremely beneficial to recovery and prevention. It is a proven fact and is used by every single professional and collegiate sport team used in this world.

It's not like its method that some ppl believe in and others don't. It is a 100% proven fact that it works. not everyone NEEDS it but even if you dont need it, a lot use it as just prevention and quicker recovery.

what makes you think that an ice bath will make you sore and make things worse after a workout? lol.
    Cool thanks!

Ha ha I guess it was my parents and grandparents always telling me to keep warm after games and take a warm shower that didn't go well with going into an ice bath..

SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Cool thanks!

Ha ha I guess it was my parents and grandparents always telling me to keep warm after games and take a warm shower that didn't go well with going into an ice bath..
    Hate to break it to you and no disrespect to your parents, but they have absolutely no idea what they are talking about with that. Heat is actually bad after a game. It is good before the game. Where ice may be a bad idea before a game, it is extremely beneficial after games, practices and workouts.

also, idk how old you are, but just because someone tells you something, even if they are your parents, don't be so naive and believe that right away. Listen to their advice, but also do your own learning and research.

Shinobi67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shinobi67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shinobi67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shinobi67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shinobi67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shinobi67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shinobi67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shinobi67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shinobi67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shinobi67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shinobi67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Cool thanks!

Heat is good for chronic injuries and to assist in warming up muscles on injuries where utilizing exercise as the warm up is more difficult. However, for acute injuries or post workout/training/game, it is like SDOptimist said, ice after will help incredibly. Ice baths work to reduce inflammation via vasoconstriction; narrowing of blood vessels. Feel free to google ice baths, contrast baths, and cryotherapy.

Interesting side bit, in Europe there are some places that offer a room that is chilled, where the individual stands or sits in it for 5-10 minutes. Some report this to be more effective physiologically, though i am unsure if these claims can be validated as i haven't read any studies on them. If anyone has one feel free to shoot it to me

vb66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vb66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vb66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vb66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vb66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vb66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vb66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vb66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vb66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vb66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vb66 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Another big fan of ice baths here. I usually only use them after games, but that's more of an accessibility thing. I go 8-12 minutes, depending on the temperature.

chipotleater will become famous soon enough. (+50) chipotleater will become famous soon enough. (+50) chipotleater will become famous soon enough. (+50) chipotleater will become famous soon enough. (+50) chipotleater will become famous soon enough. (+50) chipotleater will become famous soon enough. (+50) chipotleater will become famous soon enough. (+50) chipotleater will become famous soon enough. (+50) chipotleater will become famous soon enough. (+50) chipotleater will become famous soon enough. (+50) chipotleater will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Do you guys take a warm shower after the ice baths?

Running for my life. The Running Man's Avatar
    The Running Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Running Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Running Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Running Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Running Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Running Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Running Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Running Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Running Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Running Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Running Man will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    A lot of the more recent research surrounding ice baths suggests that they actually retard the recovery process, and should probably used selectively. I used to do ice bath every day, but have since since shifted to using them under select circumstances:

-Treating acute inflammation from an injury
    -CNS recovery between rounds at a competition

You would probably get a better recovery result with contrast baths. A common protocol is 3 minutes hot, 1 minute cold. You can also do this in the shower.

grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I've read the research for and against.. I don't put much stock in the recent research on ice baths for a variety of reasons not really worth getting into right now.

I base my decisions on using ice baths off experiences. I've been using them for years and I strongly feel they help with recovery after races and intense (endurance) cardio. As well as certain injuries. Sometimes on sprinting days.

I have never felt they were useful after heavy lifting days or on normal cardio days.

Strength Over Physique natedabomb09's Avatar
    natedabomb09 is on a distinguished road. (+10) natedabomb09 is on a distinguished road. (+10) natedabomb09 is on a distinguished road. (+10) natedabomb09 is on a distinguished road. (+10) natedabomb09 is on a distinguished road. (+10) natedabomb09 is on a distinguished road. (+10) natedabomb09 is on a distinguished road. (+10) natedabomb09 is on a distinguished road. (+10) natedabomb09 is on a distinguished road. (+10) natedabomb09 is on a distinguished road. (+10) natedabomb09 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The feeling of an ice bath after a two a day football practice in August...
    Attached Images
    Where were you at 6AM?

Current/Goal for August 2013

Bench: 205/245 (Dec 2012)

Squat: 400/450 (Dec 2012)

DL: 405/435 (Jan 2013)

MS,CSCS,CF-L1,USAW,WBB HamburgerTrain's Avatar
    HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by natedabomb09 View Post
    The feeling of an ice bath after a two a day football practice in August...
    This times a million. When I played in college that training staff had 10 whirlpools set up with ice and water after every practice. It was awesome.

Anyway, yes. Ice baths are fantastic. I would strongly suggest everyone who does them to look into SOAK recovery crystals as well. They are gaining popularity in crossfit but is a seriously awesome product.
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."