gaz_ny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gaz_ny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gaz_ny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile The Age old Building Muscle while Losing Fat + Plus a whole lotta other questions!

Hey Guys,

So I've been hitting the gym 4x a week for the past 3 months now. I have seen some muscle develop (albeit, not to the level I want it to). I was wondering if you guys on here can provide me a little feedback/help/tips. I would greatly appreciate it. So, here is my program:

Sunday: No elevated physical activity (I take the dog for a big walk twice a day)
    Monday: Back & Biceps - concluding with 20 minutes on the cross trainer (7 exercises on each muscle group, totaling 14) - 2hrs 15min workout
    Tuesday: Legs - concluding with 20 minutes on the cross trainer (9 exercises all together) - 1hr 45min workout
    Wednesday: Sometimes a 30 minute jog
    Thursday: Abs & Shoulders - concluding with 20 minutes on the cross trainer (6 exercises on each muscle group, totaling 12) - 2hrs workout
    Friday: Chest & Triceps - concluding with 20 minutes on the cross trainer (6 exercises on each muscle group, totaling 12) - 2hrs workout
    Saturday: No elevated physical activity (I take the dog for a big walk twice a day)

Stats:
    Height - 177cm (5f 10in)
    Weight - 80kgs (177lbs)
    Age - 24

Question 1: Am I working out too much, to little, any ways to optimize my workout? I read that working your muscles out once a week and then spending the rest of the week recovering is the way to go?

Question 2: I have stubborn lower back fat and lower ab fat. Is doing 20mins of the cross trainer after each session enough to burn the stubborn fat. I have no idea of the ratio to burn fat vs avoiding burning muscle? Any tips on how to achieve the optimum balance? I am dieting and have largely eliminated most fat from my diet. I don't drink alcohol, don't smoke, and have hardly any sugar in my diet. (Which, just quietly, is killing me.... I LOVE chocolate!)

Question 3: Protein intake. I have about 4x 25g (0.8 ounce) protein shakes (Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold) totaling 100g (3.5 ounces) on workout days and 75g (2.65 ounces) on non-workout days. Plus I have around 30-50 grams of meat a day. Is this too much, to little?

As superficial as this sounds, I really don't care about muscle strength, I'm more concerned with muscle size.

Finally, I really want to acknowledge each of you for reading this, and for the advice you provided. I truly appreciate!! You guys rock!

mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Phil67 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phil67 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phil67 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phil67 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phil67 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phil67 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phil67 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phil67 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phil67 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phil67 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phil67 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Quite possibly the best advice and answers to your questions in the above posted links .I was doing similar to you before I joined this forum and now follow the principles from those threads and starting doing all pros Begginers routine .I say give it a go and you will be very happy

gaz_ny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gaz_ny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gaz_ny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Phil67 View Post
    Quite possibly the best advice and answers to your questions in the above posted links .I was doing similar to you before I joined this forum and now follow the principles from those threads and starting doing all pros Begginers routine .I say give it a go and you will be very happy
    Thank you so much!

But if you have any other tips.... feel free to post.

Thanks again!

Phil67 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phil67 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phil67 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phil67 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phil67 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phil67 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phil67 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phil67 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phil67 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phil67 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phil67 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I find it easy to track Macros and cal by using my fitness pal or fit day have a look at them it's def worth the effort

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by gaz_ny View Post

But if you have any other tips.... feel free to post.
    The best advice I can offer you is to start reading all the information contained in the links provided to you in post #2. All of your questions will be answered there, along with all the other information you'll need.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Jonesman59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jonesman59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jonesman59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jonesman59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jonesman59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jonesman59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jonesman59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jonesman59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jonesman59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jonesman59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jonesman59 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thanks all for your input.

I am grappling with my first question.

I have been training for 3 months most recently, but was training for 3 years before that after taking a year off the gym (injury). My muscle mass (except for my legs) pretty much disappeared, so now I am back into it.

I am really not sure whether I should be doing 3 or 4 days worth of full-body routines or to split it by muscle. I'm also 24 so hardly young.

mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    ...I'm also 24 so hardly young.
    Ummm... yeah. Ironwill up above and I feel the same way.

I am really not sure whether I should be doing 3 or 4 days worth of full-body routines or to split it by muscle.
    If, as you say, you lost most of your gains, consider the former first, till your recovery ability says you should move to the latter.

Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Question 1: Am I working out too much, to little, any ways to optimize my workout? I read that working your muscles out once a week and then spending the rest of the week recovering is the way to go?

As superficial as this sounds, I really don't care about muscle strength, I'm more concerned with muscle size.
    Strength routines are designed to increase your 1RM, so obviously that isn't your goal. But your problem is very easy to detect.

You listed your routine, but left out the progress.
    You asked about 'working out too much', 'to little', 'any ways to optimize my workout?' and left out the progress questions.
    You asked about frequency and organization saying you 'read that working your muscles out once a week and then spending the rest of the week recovering is the way to go', but left out the progress.
    Then to top it off you said 'as superficial as this sounds, I really don't care about muscle strength, I'm more concerned with muscle size'

I'm not suggesting you need a beginners strength routine, but ought to be focused on progression as it's a major player in size. Progression in weights or All Pros alternative option is a write up that progresses in reps and eventually weights. I'm interested in making a sundae but don't really care about ice cream.
    DR. 3time
    Wisconsin Badgers, Green Bay Packers, Milwaukee Bucks
    ~Cobra Kai Crew~

Originally Posted by Orlando1234977 View Post
    Strength routines are designed to increase your 1RM, so obviously that isn't your goal. But your problem is very easy to detect.

You listed your routine, but left out the progress.
    You asked about 'working out too much', 'to little', 'any ways to optimize my workout?' and left out the progress questions.
    You asked about frequency and organization saying you 'read that working your muscles out once a week and then spending the rest of the week recovering is the way to go', but left out the progress.
    Then to top it off you said 'as superficial as this sounds, I really don't care about muscle strength, I'm more concerned with muscle size'

I'm not suggesting you need a beginners strength routine, but ought to be focused on progression as it's a major player in size. Progression in weights or All Pros alternative option is a write up that progresses in reps and eventually weights. I'm interested in making a sundae but don't really care about ice cream.
    Sorry if this sounds silly. But I am not too sure what you are saying. What I am getting is that I should be mentioning the progress, yeah? (Oh and what is 1RM?)

How do you track progress? Measurement of increase in weights? Reps? Or increase in muscle size? (If muscle size do you measure the muscle flexed or still?) I think it might be prudent to mention that of those 3 years pre-injury, I had a personal trainer, so I didn't "track progress" per se, he did it for me.

I went to the gym this morning to train my legs and did 9 concentrated exercises.... I was knackered. I am very much considering the full-body routine 4 times a week which is why I am asking these questions.

Thanks again guys.