Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    mattglop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattglop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattglop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattglop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattglop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattglop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattglop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattglop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattglop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattglop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattglop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Post Step it up, Matt!

TL; DR: I am bulking from 151.6 pounds at 24 years old and 5' 8". Pics up by the end of the day.

Background: I've always been fitness/body-conscious and have been "weightlifting" for around 8 years (last year of high school, throughout 5 years of college, throughout 2 yrs of grad school). I have looked good compared to peers and the general population, but would be no spectacle in the bodybuilding community. In these years, I've gotten stronger, and built muscle, but never have been able to really bulk up and gain weight. Knowing what could have been possible in 8 years versus how little I've really accomplished is discouraging, but I can't think like that. I'm not a hard-gainer, but have trouble (mentally) departing with abs. I have urges to cut as soon as my abs disappear even a little. But, this time, I'm going to put on the mass even if it comes with some fat.

Goal: I'm not really sure, but I want to get big. 170-180 pounds lean, long-term goal. I'm not planning on competing. I really just want to see what my body and I are capable of.

Diet: I am aiming for 3,300 calories per day. Macros are 40/25/35 Carb/Pro/Fat (seems low on protein, but this still gives me 206g). I'm not super strict on my macros though. As long as I get around 200g of protein per day, I am content. I keep the food pretty clean (a lot of 93/7 ground beef, chicken breast, white rice, eggs, whey, turkey bacon, etc.).

Split: This is kind of unorganized at the moment, due to school schedule and lifting with my brother, but generally:

-Sun: abs
    -Mon: stretching
    -Tue: chest
    -Wed: REST
    -Thur: back
    -Fri: legs/shoulders
    -Sat: arms

I always start off the workout with the big compound movement (bench or dumbbell press, squats, deadlifts, shoulder press) then do supplementary exercises. I don't do cardio, but bike to and from school (2-3 miles of biking 5 days a week).

This journal: I'm not sure how to update this journal, but plan on at least weekly updates.

I will upload photos later today, as I'm in class right now. Let's see what my body can do!

Progress:
    6/25/13: 151.6
    7/2/13: 153.4
    7/9/13: 154.8
    7/16/13: ?

mattglop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattglop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattglop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattglop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattglop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattglop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattglop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattglop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattglop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattglop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattglop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Progress photos

6/26/13; Day 1- the base
    Attached Images

Chest day

Dumbbell bench press: 5x5 (70, 80, 90, 100, 105 for 3)
    Incline bench press: 4x8 (155, 155, 165, 165)
    Dips supersetted with cable flies: 3x12-15
    Machine flies supersetted with pushups: 3x12-15

stackplates is just really nice. (+1000) stackplates is just really nice. (+1000) stackplates is just really nice. (+1000) stackplates is just really nice. (+1000) stackplates is just really nice. (+1000) stackplates is just really nice. (+1000) stackplates is just really nice. (+1000) stackplates is just really nice. (+1000) stackplates is just really nice. (+1000) stackplates is just really nice. (+1000) stackplates is just really nice. (+1000)
    You've got a solid base man!
    *never had abs in my entire life crew*

Arms day

4x8 DB curls (35, 40, 35, 30)
    4x8 Triceps extensions
    4x8 BB curls (55, 60, 65, 65)
    3x12 DB triceps kick backs (15s)
    4x8 Seated hammer curls (45, 55, 65, 55)
    3x12 Overhead DB triceps extensions (50, 55, 60)

Back day

4x8 DB rows (60, 65, 70, 70)
    5x5 Deadlift (135, 185, 225, 255, 275)
    4x8 BB rows (115, 135, 135, 135)
    3x12-15 Cable rows supersetted with 3x12-15 Lat pull-downs
    3x12 Straight-arm pull-down

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running4

Saw this link posted on my ******** wall today that sort of calls out the weightlifting/bodybuilding/gym community. I fall under that category of guys who lifts for narcissistic motivations. Makes me kind of think about why I'm really doing all of this. I want to be huge. I used to just want to look good, but now I want to be the perfect combination of huge and lean where I look jacked with my shirt on and more jacked with my shirt off.

There is also a non-narcissistic component to my motivation. I want to "measure myself." I want to see how far I can go with all this. How strong can I get? How big can I get? How shredded can I get? I'm 24, and about to start medical school. Before I know it, I'll be way past my "prime" and will have a much harder time dedicating myself to bodybuilding.

I sway back to the umad component of my motivation. I want to get huge so I can take my shirt off unnecessarily and troll around. I like showing off. That's why I like to wear tank tops and those cool cut-off shirts to the gym. Isn't that why everyone else does? Aren't we kidding ourselves if we say otherwise?

My motivation is complex. It is.

Weigh-in today

7/2/13: 153.4 (+1.8)
    7/9/13: 154.8 (+1.4)
    7/16/13: 155.4 (+0.6)

The amount of weight I am gaining per week is decreasing, despite my consumption of the constant 3,300 per day each week. It appears as though my metabolic rate is increasing to compensate for this increased consumption. I will continue to consume 3,300, as I believe that 0.6 lbs in a week is an appropriate weight gain for a clean bulk.

Looking at my week 1 vs. week 4 pictures, I see no difference, despite having added 3.8 pounds in 3 weeks. That makes sense, though. 3 weeks is not enough time to see results. I must be patient. It is but a matter of time before I am a huge, beastly monster.

Chest-day later today. I am hitting chest twice per week, and everything else once per week.

Registered User wishitcouldlast's Avatar
    wishitcouldlast is a name known to all. (+5000) wishitcouldlast is a name known to all. (+5000) wishitcouldlast is a name known to all. (+5000) wishitcouldlast is a name known to all. (+5000) wishitcouldlast is a name known to all. (+5000) wishitcouldlast is a name known to all. (+5000) wishitcouldlast is a name known to all. (+5000) wishitcouldlast is a name known to all. (+5000) wishitcouldlast is a name known to all. (+5000) wishitcouldlast is a name known to all. (+5000) wishitcouldlast is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by mattglop View Post

The amount of weight I am gaining per week is decreasing, despite my consumption of the constant 3,300 per day each week. It appears as though my metabolic rate is increasing to compensate for this increased consumption. I will continue to consume 3,300, as I believe that 0.6 lbs in a week is an appropriate weight gain for a clean bulk.

Looking at my week 1 vs. week 4 pictures, I see no difference, despite having added 3.8 pounds in 3 weeks. That makes sense, though. 3 weeks is not enough time to see results. I must be patient. It is but a matter of time before I am a huge, beastly monster.

Chest-day later today. I am hitting chest twice per week, and everything else once per week.
    wow really good job on lean bulk brah, yeah I would just wait till you hit 0 gains in a week then add more calories. Keep up the good work! subbed.
    I know nothing factual but only tell the truth

Originally Posted by wi****couldlast View Post
    wow really good job on lean bulk brah, yeah I would just wait till you hit 0 gains in a week then add more calories. Keep up the good work! subbed.
    thanks man! let's hope i can keep this up.

Thumbs up Chest day

DB bench press: 5x5 (70, 80, 90, 100, 105)
    Incline BB bench press: 4x8 (165)
    Incline machine chest press: (55)
    Cable flies: 3x12 supersetted with push-ups: 3x12-15

Notes
    PR on the DB bench press today. I want to return to the idea of us gym rats lifting solely for narcissistic purposes. Hitting that PR on the DB bench press felt hella good. That great feeling had nothing to do with narcissism, but rather with personal achievement. Although my primary reasons for lifting are for aesthetics, the achievement component of the sport is also a motivator for me.

Can't wait to be huge. One day at a time.

Rest day

Also, my meals are logged on myfitnesspal: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/playa69%22%3E.

Hopefully, my muscles will experience growth tonight. Goodnight world.

Legs & shoulders

Squats: 3x8, 1x10 (135, 185, 225, 245)
    Dumbbell shoulder press: 4x5, 1x8 (40, 50, 60, 65, 70)
    Machine shrugs: 4x12-15
    Lateral DB raises: 4x12 (15, 20, 20, 20)
    Leg extensions: 3x12-15 supersetted with leg curls 3x12-15 supersetted with calf raises 3x12-15
    Face pulls: 3x15

Notes: Hitting PRs virtually every workout feels good. There were so many huge dudes at the gym today, which is good. I felt the motivation in the form of extra reps on exercises. I did feel small and weak though...more incentive to keep this up.

Diet: ate Chipotle for both lunch and dinner today!

Also, started taking creatine today: loading phase has commenced.

Arms & abs

BB curls: 4x8 (60, 65, 70, 75)
    BB skull crushers: 4x8 (60, 65, 70, 70)
    DB bicep curls: 3x12 (30, 30, 25)
    Tricep extensions: 4x8
    Cable bicep curls: 3x15

Bench crunches (don't know how to say): 3x25
    Oblique crunches: 3x15 (45)
    Incline sit ups: 3x12

Notes: Ate a burger and fries for dinner tonight. Should still be around calorie target, though I need to clean up diet (Chipotle x 2 yesterday + burger and fries tonight). Continuing to load creatine.

Thumbs up Chest day

BB Bench press: 4x8 (135, 165, 185, 205)
    Incline DB bench press: 3x15 (55, 60, 60)
    Incline DB flies: 3x15 (30, 25, 25)
    Iso-lateral wide grip chest press: 5x15
    Cable flies: 5x15

Notes: That last set on bench press was not too bad. Feel like I could've pushed out at least 2 more (2 plates for reps here I come!). My splits have been all over the place. I need to make it more consistent. It's harder since my brother is my workout partner and our schedules are different.

Misc: also did some grocery shopping today at Sam's Club. Think I'm going to make it a habit where Saturday is grocery day, Sunday is cook day, where I cook for the week. I will need to streamline everything once med school starts (in less than 2 weeks!).

Sun: Back
    Mon: Chest
    Tue: Arms
    Wed: REST
    Thurs: Legs/shoulders
    Fri: Chest
    Saturday: abs

wishitcouldlast is a name known to all. (+5000) wishitcouldlast is a name known to all. (+5000) wishitcouldlast is a name known to all. (+5000) wishitcouldlast is a name known to all. (+5000) wishitcouldlast is a name known to all. (+5000) wishitcouldlast is a name known to all. (+5000) wishitcouldlast is a name known to all. (+5000) wishitcouldlast is a name known to all. (+5000) wishitcouldlast is a name known to all. (+5000) wishitcouldlast is a name known to all. (+5000) wishitcouldlast is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yeah? How many days ahead do you
    Prep? I usually prep on Sunday and Thursday so the food is still kind of fresh and my roommate doesn't complain about no room in the fridge! What you making today?

Yeah? How many days ahead do you
    Prep? I usually prep on Sunday and Thursday so the food is still kind of fresh and my roommate doesn't complain about no room in the fridge! What you making today?
    Haha nice. I have a roommate as well---live with my brother, but he is bulking as well, so we cook for two for the week. Also a good workout partner!

For this week:
    -8 lbs (foreman) grilled chicken
    -4 lbs chicken stir fry
    -4 lbs roasted potatoes
    -2.5 lbs baked tilapia

Lightbulb Back day

Deadlifts: 5x5 (135, 185, 225, 255, 295)
    Bent over rows: 4x8 (115, 125, 125, 125)
    Pull-ups: 3x12
    Cable rows: 3x15 supersetted with lat pull downs: 3x15
    Straight arm pulldown: 3x15

Notes: Deadlift PR! Got most of it on video. Will try to upload it soon. I believe my form is fine, though my neck has been hurting right after deadlifting the past 2 times. Maybe you guys can take a look at my form and give me some pointers.

Deadlifting video:

Last edited by mattglop; 07-21-2013 at 10:17 PM. Reason: video added

Haha nice. I have a roommate as well---live with my brother, but he is bulking as well, so we cook for two for the week. Also a good workout partner!

For this week:
    -8 lbs (foreman) grilled chicken
    -4 lbs chicken stir fry
    -4 lbs roasted potatoes
    -2.5 lbs baked tilapia
    haha sounds hefty! lucky my roommate does not lift and just games, oh well.

Chest day

DB bench press: 5x5 (70, 80, 90, 100, 105---failed on 5th rep)
    Incline BB bench press: 4x8 (195---failed on last rep of last set)
    Incline chest machine: 4x15
    Machine flies: 3x15 supersetted with pushups: 3x15

Notes: This chest day didn't feel so great. I think I hit the chest too soon after hitting it on Saturday. Need at least 3 days rest in between chest days. Tomorrow is weigh-in day. Let's hope for some gains!
    Last edited by mattglop; 07-23-2013 at 07:50 AM. Reason: formatting

Thumbs up Weigh-in

Weighed in this morning at 157.2. Strange, I felt leaner---in fact, I thought I would have lost weight this week. Though I have a feeling that a lot of the gained weight is due to the creatine that I have been loading on.

7/22/13: 157.2 (+1.8)

Rest day today and tomorrow.

Legs and shoulders

Seated BB shoulder press: 5x5 (95, 105, 115, 125, 135)
    BB shoulder raises(?): 4x8 (60, 65, 70, 70)
    DB shrugs: 4x8 (65, 70, 70, 70)
    DB shoulder press: 4x8 (55, 60, 65, 65)
    Angled squat machine(?): 3x8
    Leg press: 3x12 (380, 420, 420)
    Leg extensions: 3x12 supersetted with leg curls: 3x12 supersetted with standing calf raises: 3x12
    Box jumps: 3x15
    BB lunges: 3x15 (bar)

Notes: Squat racks were all full---explaining why I did shoulders before hitting any legs. And they never opened up (this one guy on a squat rack for 40 minutes...), so I was forced to forego squats for the day. I did try some new exercises (box jumps and BB lunges), which is cool.

On a different note, I have been looking into different programs. I know my "split" is somewhat arbitrary and self-made, so it may not be the best thing, but I'm overwhelmed at looking at other programs. I also have no idea whether a "novice" or "intermediate" program would best suit me. I think I'm going to change it to something that is more evidence-based, but need to do some more research first. All the information out there is so overwhelming!

This video really opened my eyes to other program possibilities and how little I really know about bodybuilding:

Lightbulb Changing my program to a 5x5

So, I have been on some sort of bodypart split for the past few years and seen relatively minimal gains. After doing some research, I believe that I have not yet outgrown the "beginner/novice" level. I am going to take a few steps back and do a 5x5 routine for the next 8-12 weeks. I will be following this program: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=148036063.

Workout A
    Squat: 5x5
    Bench press: 5x5
    BB Row: 5x5
    BB shrug: 3x8
    Skull crushers: 3x8
    Chin ups: 3x5-8
    Goodmornings: 2x10
    Abs: 3x10-20

Workout B
    Squat: 5x5
    Deadlifts: 1x5
    Standing shoulder press: 5x5
    BB Row: 5x5
    CGBP: 3x8
    Straight bar or incline curl: 3x8
    Abs: 3x10-20

I'm going to start at 75% of my 1RMs below:
    Bench: 265
    Squat: 295
    Deadlift: 340

Workout B

Squats: 5x5 (225)
    Deadlifts: 1x5 (275)
    Standing OH press: 5x5 (95)
    BB row: 5x5 (135)
    CG BP: 3x8 (115)
    Straight bar curl: 3x8 (65)
    Incline sit-ups: 3x12

Notes: This definitely feels different than what I normally do. Without the higher rep sets, I don't get as much of a pump and it feels less like I'm "doing something." Hopefully my lifts will go up and my muscles will grow.

Thoughts on first month of bulking

Just watched the video series below on making lean gains, which mentioned that a beginner lifter should only be gaining 2-3 lbs of muscle per month at most, and an intermediate 1-2 lbs of muscle per month at most. I gained over 5 lbs in one month. Thus, regardless of whether I am a beginner or an intermediate lifter, I gained too much. I do feel a bit fatter. Perhaps, I need to take my calories down.

The series also recommended keeping cardio even during gaining phases. I think I may want to sprinkle in some cardio sessions.

All this change: my program, my calories, cardio...I want to only change a couple variables at once. I will not change my calories until I weigh in next. But, I will add cardio starting at one time per week.

Just watched the video series below on making lean gains, which mentioned that a beginner lifter should only be gaining 2-3 lbs of muscle per month at most, and an intermediate 1-2 lbs of muscle per month at most. I gained over 5 lbs in one month. Thus, regardless of whether I am a beginner or an intermediate lifter, I gained too much. I do feel a bit fatter. Perhaps, I need to take my calories down.

The series also recommended keeping cardio even during gaining phases. I think I may want to sprinkle in some cardio sessions.

All this change: my program, my calories, cardio...I want to only change a couple variables at once. I will not change my calories until I weigh in next. But, I will add cardio starting at one time per week.

I know it is going to suck to hear but. You can't be scared to put on fat on a bulk, try to limit it as much as possible but no matter what you will gain some. 5 pounds in a month is like 1.25 a week maybe aim for 1 pound a week if you are really worried but in the long run of a bulk you will gain fat you just have to try to minimize the amount.

I know it is going to suck to hear but. You can't be scared to put on fat on a bulk, try to limit it as much as possible but no matter what you will gain some. 5 pounds in a month is like 1.25 a week maybe aim for 1 pound a week if you are really worried but in the long run of a bulk you will gain fat you just have to try to minimize the amount.
    Yeah man, you're right. The fear of putting on fat/losing abs is the reason I haven't bulked in all the years I've "lifted." I guess I have to just bite the bullet and put on some fat as well. I'm committed to this bulk!

Connector is on a distinguished road. (+10) Connector is on a distinguished road. (+10) Connector is on a distinguished road. (+10) Connector is on a distinguished road. (+10) Connector is on a distinguished road. (+10) Connector is on a distinguished road. (+10) Connector is on a distinguished road. (+10) Connector is on a distinguished road. (+10) Connector is on a distinguished road. (+10) Connector is on a distinguished road. (+10) Connector is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Best of luck man

Random thought that I want to journal about: The larger weight gain I have experienced the past week could likely be attributed to my recent loading of creatine, and not to my over-surplus of calories. Thus, for now, I will not change my calories. I may sprinkle in 1-2 cardio sessions per week though.

I plan on taking a more accurate watch over my weight by taking it every morning, averaging it for the week, and using the average as my indicator for modifications.

Thumbs up Workout A

Squat: 5x5 (235) -> 245
    Bench press: 5x5 (205) -> 210
    BB Row: 5x5 (145) -> 155
    BB shrug: 3x8 (135) -> 145
    Skull crushers: 3x8 (65) -> 70
    Chin ups: 3x12 -> weighted next time?
    Goodmornings: 2x10 (95) -> 105
    Abs- hanging leg raises(?): 3x8 -> 3x10?

Notes: Felt really good in the gym today. Felt big. Maybe it was because the other guys were smaller than usual today, so I felt relatively bigger. Still, my lifts felt great---especially the squats, bench press, and rows. Maybe the creatine is enhancing my lifts. Can't wait to rep 2 plates on bench. Shooting to hit 5x5 225 in 4 workouts---hopefully mid August.

Hanging leg raises hurt a lot. Had to cheat on the last couple reps of the last set.

I was feeling huge at the gym, came back home feeling huge. Had gf snap a pic of me. I didn't look as big as I felt. It's only a matter of time before I become a huge beast.

More notes: need to research how to use weight belt + how to perform skullcrushers without elbow pain
    Last edited by mattglop; 07-29-2013 at 12:43 PM. Reason: added more notes to self