leedsalex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Basic question regarding weight categories London 2012

Hi, I'm no weight lifter and I have no desire to be, however since I have been bodybuilding for about a year I'm pretty interested to watch the Olympic lifting and want to understand a bit about it. I checked the schedule and noticed its split into max weight categories from 56kg through to +105kg that would put me in the under 77kg but At that weight I'm by no means strong. So here's my question do competitors get as strong as possible regardless of there weight and then compete in which ever category they fall into, or do they attempt to build strength while minimising weight gain (how would you do this?)or would they compete at a sub optimal strength in order to drop into a lower weight category as its presumably better to have a high weight for a lower group than a low weight for a higher one. For somebody whose only goal is to increase mass it's all a bit alien!
    Any links you might be able to provide to stop me asking many many more questions would also be appreciated.
    Thanks

chigiskov will become famous soon enough. (+50) chigiskov will become famous soon enough. (+50) chigiskov will become famous soon enough. (+50) chigiskov will become famous soon enough. (+50) chigiskov will become famous soon enough. (+50) chigiskov will become famous soon enough. (+50) chigiskov will become famous soon enough. (+50) chigiskov will become famous soon enough. (+50) chigiskov will become famous soon enough. (+50) chigiskov will become famous soon enough. (+50) chigiskov will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Cause bodybuilders are retards that think that you have to bulk up in order to gain strength. Weightlifters aren't in that mindset. They gain strength inside a weight class that is appropriate for their build and height. In their off season they aren't more than a couple of kilos away from making weight. And yes, no one would in their right mind come in "light" to their weight class, but it can happen in the supers where some guys weigh 125 kg and some weigh 170 kg.

No one who trains at 98 kilos would just up and decide hey I think I'll be a 77 this next comp. Doesn't happen.

MikeWittmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeWittmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeWittmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeWittmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeWittmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeWittmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeWittmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeWittmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeWittmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeWittmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeWittmer is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Most weightlifters do not train at more than 3% over the weight class limit. It is felt that dropping more than 3% will result in a loss of strength. You will see guys do more in training than in the competition and one reason for this may be that they were training well over the class limit.

Most try to weigh close to the class limit, rather than below. For example, one weighing 82, but just can't cut to 77, is at a disadvantage going against someone who trains at 87-88, and drops to 85.

leedsalex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ok so basically you would aim to become the strongest you can be Irrelivent of what weight that made you but then if you where significantly below the weight limit of your class you may decide to cut down to the class below (possibly at the expense of a little strength). Thanks guys

Renan is just really nice. (+1000) Renan is just really nice. (+1000) Renan is just really nice. (+1000) Renan is just really nice. (+1000) Renan is just really nice. (+1000) Renan is just really nice. (+1000) Renan is just really nice. (+1000) Renan is just really nice. (+1000) Renan is just really nice. (+1000) Renan is just really nice. (+1000) Renan is just really nice. (+1000)
    Don't mean to hijack this thread...but are there any successful weightlifters 6'3 or taller that are not in the 105+ class? Aren't Koklov and Akkaev close to 6 feet tall?

MikeWittmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeWittmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeWittmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeWittmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeWittmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeWittmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeWittmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeWittmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeWittmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeWittmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeWittmer is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Renan View Post
    Don't mean to hijack this thread...but are there any successful weightlifters 6'3 or taller that are not in the 105+ class? Aren't Koklov and Akkaev close to 6 feet tall?
    I believe, Akkaev is 5'10", maybe 5'11", Klokov is supposedly 6'.

jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Kolecki is slightly over 6' @ 94 kg. He's the only 6+ I can think of off the top of my head who is below the -105 kg category. I guess then the answer to your question is no. Any top OL'er who is 6'3'' will be a super for sure.
    Last edited by jb4476; 07-15-2012 at 09:07 PM.

Registered User PretentiousKunt's Avatar
    PretentiousKunt will become famous soon enough. (+50) PretentiousKunt will become famous soon enough. (+50) PretentiousKunt will become famous soon enough. (+50) PretentiousKunt will become famous soon enough. (+50) PretentiousKunt will become famous soon enough. (+50) PretentiousKunt will become famous soon enough. (+50) PretentiousKunt will become famous soon enough. (+50) PretentiousKunt will become famous soon enough. (+50) PretentiousKunt will become famous soon enough. (+50) PretentiousKunt will become famous soon enough. (+50) PretentiousKunt will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Ian wilson is 6'2'' I think...off the top of my head.
    negs 4 gold