SionX is just really nice. (+1000) SionX is just really nice. (+1000) SionX is just really nice. (+1000) SionX is just really nice. (+1000) SionX is just really nice. (+1000) SionX is just really nice. (+1000) SionX is just really nice. (+1000) SionX is just really nice. (+1000) SionX is just really nice. (+1000) SionX is just really nice. (+1000) SionX is just really nice. (+1000)

Question Smolov Junior Bench fail :(

I have been struggling to up my bench press for too long - so long that after failing to make bench gains on madcows 5x5 and Wendlers I decided to give Smolov Juniors ago. My max was 100KG. Compare that to my max squat 185KG and deadlift 240KG

I ate and got plenty of sleep and actually bulked up from 77 to 80KG. So I followed the protocol exactly and got EVERY rep!

So I finished week 3 last sunday. Yesterday (Friday) I attempted a new max. I wasn't sure if 5 days was enough rest - they say you should take a week off but I was worried that doing so would strip me of the gains I had made...

95KG = pass

100KG = pass

105KG = fail

105KG = pass with bad form

110KG = fail

I just don't understand it. Should I have waited another week? I really want to get my bench up to 120KG at the very least - 140KG is my long term goal but if I am struggling to bench over 105KG then I am running out of ideas...

arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by SionX View Post
    I have been struggling to up my bench press for too long - so long that after failing to make bench gains on madcows 5x5 and Wendlers I decided to give Smolov Juniors ago. My max was 100KG. Compare that to my max squat 185KG and deadlift 240KG

I ate and got plenty of sleep and actually bulked up from 77 to 80KG. So I followed the protocol exactly and got EVERY rep!

So I finished week 3 last sunday. Yesterday (Friday) I attempted a new max. I wasn't sure if 5 days was enough rest - they say you should take a week off but I was worried that doing so would strip me of the gains I had made...

95KG = pass

100KG = pass

105KG = fail

105KG = pass with bad form

110KG = fail

I just don't understand it. Should I have waited another week? I really want to get my bench up to 120KG at the very least - 140KG is my long term goal but if I am struggling to bench over 105KG then I am running out of ideas...
    So what you are saying is you have a problem with technique and holding technique at maximal weights. Maybe that is something you need to work on.
    1372 @ 205
    USAPL Senior International Coach & IPF Cat II Referee
    Squats & Science Head Coach
    http://squatsandscience.com/sscoaching/

Boynton Barbell Center:
    http://boyntonbarbellcenter.com/

YouTube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ariandbz

Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by arian11 View Post
    So what you are saying is you have a problem with technique and holding technique at maximal weights. Maybe that is something you need to work on.
    I'd agree. There is almost certainly technical flaws if you only got 5kg out of it, and that 5kg was missed prior to making it
    771/645/622 Single Ply

BigLarge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigLarge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigLarge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigLarge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigLarge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigLarge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigLarge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigLarge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigLarge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigLarge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigLarge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    not enough food/calories?
    RAW ELITE OR DIE

1603 @ 242, raw (4-16-16)

"You can be 175 pounds SHREDDED, but with a T shirt on you just look like a skinny *******" - Mark Ripptoe

brodygeorge is on a distinguished road. (+10) brodygeorge is on a distinguished road. (+10) brodygeorge is on a distinguished road. (+10) brodygeorge is on a distinguished road. (+10) brodygeorge is on a distinguished road. (+10) brodygeorge is on a distinguished road. (+10) brodygeorge is on a distinguished road. (+10) brodygeorge is on a distinguished road. (+10) brodygeorge is on a distinguished road. (+10) brodygeorge is on a distinguished road. (+10) brodygeorge is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by arian11 View Post
    i'm having the same problem with 100kg. i can't stay tight and keep form but i can with 95kg. i can do 3 reps of 95kg but 100kg i just can't stay tight. besides practising as close to the amount as possible- regularly, is there any other way to practice to stay tight when going for a max?
    Last edited by brodygeorge; 07-15-2012 at 03:41 AM.

gameNlift is not very helpful. (-500) gameNlift is not very helpful. (-500) gameNlift is not very helpful. (-500) gameNlift is not very helpful. (-500) gameNlift is not very helpful. (-500) gameNlift is not very helpful. (-500) gameNlift is not very helpful. (-500) gameNlift is not very helpful. (-500) gameNlift is not very helpful. (-500) gameNlift is not very helpful. (-500) gameNlift is not very helpful. (-500)
    Man 10lbs in 3 weeks is pretty solid IMO. I'm gonna be giving smolov jr a try starting tues and if i get that much by the end I'll be happy. If you feel like you're good for more perhaps you should take another 3 days or so off and try another max out.

For those who have completed smolov jr, what do you feel is the best way to transition after its complete (with it being a peaking program and all)?

untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I dont like Smolov JR to increase bench long term, i do however find that something similar to 5/3/1 helped, are u eating and sleeping enough ? and i would try get a vid to u can ask people to help analyze your weak point, for all your know its something u could fix in a month or two.
    Athletics > Aesthetics
    I guess its time to start training again.
    - No longer in a long term relationship crew because sloots gun sloot.
    - Finishing a degree at age 30 crew

Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Probably techique related as posted above.\

Got any videos?
    "Do not subordinate fundamental principles to minor details."

Physiotherapy instagram
    https://www.instagram.com/dayyan.physio/

SionX is just really nice. (+1000) SionX is just really nice. (+1000) SionX is just really nice. (+1000) SionX is just really nice. (+1000) SionX is just really nice. (+1000) SionX is just really nice. (+1000) SionX is just really nice. (+1000) SionX is just really nice. (+1000) SionX is just really nice. (+1000) SionX is just really nice. (+1000) SionX is just really nice. (+1000)
    I don't have videos unfortunately as gym doesn't allow it. It might be worth going to a different gym for a one-off just to get one though as I think it would be worth it...

I am thinking about trying again at the end of the week but if it is still no go I will need to try another program. I don't like idea of another 3 week cycle where I might not make gains AND I can't OH Press.

During the 3 weeks I have eaten way more than I have in past and slept well - bulked up to 80kg from 77kg as I said in the OP

xDEADLIFTx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xDEADLIFTx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xDEADLIFTx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xDEADLIFTx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xDEADLIFTx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xDEADLIFTx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xDEADLIFTx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xDEADLIFTx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xDEADLIFTx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xDEADLIFTx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xDEADLIFTx will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    your gym doesn't allow videos? is it planet fitness? lol
    UNIVERSAL FOR LIFE!
    http://www.universalusa.com/Users/Members/xDEADLIFTx

untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by xDEADLIFTx View Post
    your gym doesn't allow videos? is it planet fitness? lol
    Dunno if planet fitness is an international franchise but i gym at a planet fitness in South Africa and they really dont like it when u take pictures for some reason, even if there are only 4 people in the gym and u are the only one in a 20 meter radius, also they **** themselves when i deadlift cuz i "break their floor", but since they only have rubber/plastic mats under the bench rack i dont have a choice, they actually told me i must just move the bench rack away when i wanna deadlift, its retarded cuz the rack can only be moved to a place where its in everyones way, oh and chalk, they REALLY hate chalk.
    Athletics > Aesthetics
    I guess its time to start training again.
    - No longer in a long term relationship crew because sloots gun sloot.
    - Finishing a degree at age 30 crew