jwild has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Is 1500 calories too few?

I've been told that I should eat as many as 1800-2000 calories a day; I've been told that I should eat as little as 1400 cals a day. Which is right? I want to lose body fat but stay the same size (Or smaller; just not bigger; I currently wear about a 6). I eat low-carb; about 1500 cals a day (not including a cheat day). My fat/carb/protein ratio is currently 43/15/42. I know some will say that the fat is too high, but I tend to lose on low carb/higher fat. I lift total body (different exercises) twice a week and do usually 5 days cardio, 3 of which are HIIT, for 30-45 min's. Oh, my bf% is 19% according to 2 different calculations. Is this enough info? I posted my diet previously and had great responses from a couple of you. I've just gotten some conflicting information since then and want to make sure I'm on track. I am highly motivated! Thanks in advance.
    Jessica

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Phil 4:13)

Buff bride to be imperfectly_lou's Avatar
    imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    How tall are you and how much do you weigh?

Could you also post a sample daily diet and workout schedule?

That will allow us to help you more. For many, 1500 cals is fine, but it depends on your individual circumstances.

I am 5' 6.5" and weigh 123 lb.

Here is a sample of my typical diet: http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/DayFoodsTab.asp
    Login: jwild7777
    P-word:
    You may have to click on the calendar and select the 14th and then the "foods" button.
    This is pretty much in the order that I eat, except I don't eat all of those eggs at once--I have 1/2 an egg with my tuna and 1 egg with my supper, the chicken. I make a "pizza" with an egg "crust" and chicken and turnips. Sounds gross, but it's a good change.

Sunday: walk/run uphill HIIT on treadmill 35-45 mins
    Monday: full-body workout, consisting of compound exercises like squats, push-ups, and pull-ups, 10-20 reps, depending on the exercise, at least 3 exercises per body part. 30-45 min's HIIT on recumbent bike
    Tuesday: rest or 30-45 mins steady recumbent bike
    Wednesday rest or 30-45 mins steady recumbent bike
    Thursday: full-body, consisting of isolated exercises like bumbell curls, french press, and leg curls, 10-20 reps, depending on the exercise, at least 3 exercises per body part. 30-45 min's HIIT on recumbent bike
    Friday: rest
    Saturday: walk/run uphill HIIT on treadmill 35-45 mins

If I'm hungry at night, that's when the cravings hit, and I usually resort to a spoon-full of peanut butter (adding about 200 cals). I need to eliminate a cheat day, and try to stick with a cheat meal here and there because I could blow everything in one whole day, which is what I usually do. If it helps, see my last posting. Also, it may help to know that I pretty much sit all day at work.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by jwild; 07-17-2003 at 07:51 PM.
    Jessica

imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    We seem to have pretty similar builds and schedules.

Personally, I eat about 1,500calories a day. I maintain my weight on 1,500 calories a day, but I think I proably SHOULD eat more.

Your diet looks really good, perhaps a tiny bit high in saturated fat but otherwise is looks great!

I know this doesn't fully answer your question. I am also interested in the answer now!

imperfectly_lou, what is your bf% and your other stats?

I know I could lose on 1500 a day if I could eliminate that cheat day. The thing is, would I lose muscle? I guess I could just try to stick with it for a while and then test my bf% again and see what happens, but I'd rather not risk losing muscle. I know that Muscle and Fitness Hers magazine had that lose 10 lb in a month plan, which was 1600 cals a day, and that was cardio 2 a day plus 3 days a week total body workouts. It seems to me you'd lose muscle mass on that, but I'm no expert.

Hopefully, someone else will post their advice for us.
    Jessica

Hi Jessica

I am 5"6.5, 120lbs and 18% body fat, so very similar stats to you.

I found that I actually gained a lot of muscle when I increased my cals to 1,800 (which is a good thing!). However, as I used to suffer from anorexia, it is possible my metabolism is different from most peoples which is why I maintain on such a low level of calories.

I also looked at doing the Lose 10 in a month, but like you, I am concerned about losing muscle mass.

Have you considered doing the 12 week Muscle and Fitness Rock Hard Challenge. I lost a lot of fat doing that (and also gained muscle). I finished about 2 weeks ago and am planning to do the whole program again (coz it is so good!) in a few weeks.

Wow, we are similar! I did do the first 8 weeks of the RHC. I enjoyed the workouts, but that's when I was gaining size in my legs & glutes. I know I had to be gaining muscle, but, like I said before, I don't want to get bigger, especially with the fat still on top of that, I just looked fatter. I hear so much conflicting info: lift heavy/low reps and build more muscle that will burn the fat on top of it; lift high reps to burn fat and not bulk up. Plus cardio, of course, and I do believe in HIIT. I need to just find what works best for me. I was eating about 1800 cal's while doing the RHC. That's why I've cut the carbs and the low/heavy reps so I can get back to my normal size. I know I'll lose fat on low carb, so I think I might try the RHC again after I lose some so I'll have room in my clothes to gain muscle mass! You're welcome to write to me sometimes if you want to be accountability partners, since we are so similar in build.
    Jessica

MDC is just really nice. (+1000) MDC is just really nice. (+1000) MDC is just really nice. (+1000) MDC is just really nice. (+1000) MDC is just really nice. (+1000) MDC is just really nice. (+1000) MDC is just really nice. (+1000) MDC is just really nice. (+1000) MDC is just really nice. (+1000) MDC is just really nice. (+1000) MDC is just really nice. (+1000)
    jwild,
    high reps with low weight won't do anything but waste your time. Definitely try to build some muscle rather since it will help get rid of the fat.

Thanks, MDC. So, is the full-body twice a week (different exercises) a bad idea even if I lift heavy? What rep range are you talking about? I do anywhere from 10-20 as heavy as possible. Or should I stick to a 3-day split? Maybe I should go back to doing the Rock Hard Challenge. I was seeing results, but I just can't afford to "grow" out of my clothes. I guess if I could stick to my healthy eating I would burn the fat faster and stay in my clothes.
    Jessica

Hi Jessica

Have you thought about lowering your cals while doing RHC? I did do 1,800 ths first month but it just felt a little uncomfy for me, so I dropped to 1,500-1,600 in the 2nd and 3rd month.

Also what are you doing for cardio? Make sure it is at a high enough intensity. I wear a HR monitor to make sure I push myself hard enough.

Yeah, I've thought about doing RHC with my cal's lower, but at the time, I didn't know how to tweak my diet to not be hungry on 1500-1600 cal's. Now I know, so I may try it again. As for the intensity of my cardio, the only thing I can do during the week is ride my exercise bike b/c I live in a tiny university appt and b/c my husband is afraid for me to go to the gym or go out running by myself. And, no, he won't go with me b/c he doesn't have time. I push myself to the max on the bike, though. I don't have a hr monitor; I guess I never thought about getting one, but aren't they expensive? On the weekends, we go home, which is where my treadmill is, and I know I get a high-intensity workout on it.
    Jessica

stokedgrl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    For your size and bw I doubt 1500 is too few. I'm 5'10, 195lbs and 27% bf. I'm in the process of cutting down to 170 hopefully by the end of Sept. and I am maintaining 1500cals/day w/a cheat day. Thats about a 1000cal deficit/day I'm maintaining to lose about 2lbs/week. 1500 is plenty for me. I have no idea what my carb/fat/prot ratio is but, it is probably higher in the protein and fat categories like you. I too hit up the peanut butter when I feel an evening craving. But yeah, my point is if 1500 seems to be plenty for me, I don't see how it would be too few for someone your size.
    If you haven't the strength to impose your own terms upon life, you must accept the terms it offers you. -T. S. Eliot

I guess it depends how you space out your calories through the day and what you are eating. The reason why you may not feel satisfied on 1,500cals is because of the amount of fat you are eating. Remember fat has 9cals a gram so it obviously adds up a lot quicker.

But it really is personal perference. If you feel deprived and are likely to binge on 1,500, then keep it at 1,800.

I did most of my RHC intervals on the bike too. What I did is kept a high resistance throughout and cranked it up, and STOOD UP when the sprint was on..... Its definitely a killer!

MDC is just really nice. (+1000) MDC is just really nice. (+1000) MDC is just really nice. (+1000) MDC is just really nice. (+1000) MDC is just really nice. (+1000) MDC is just really nice. (+1000) MDC is just really nice. (+1000) MDC is just really nice. (+1000) MDC is just really nice. (+1000) MDC is just really nice. (+1000) MDC is just really nice. (+1000)
    jwild,
    I think a full body workout twice a week is fine. Keep the reps to 10-12, for faster results. Last year, when I got back into regular exercising, I was doing full body workouts this way and improving rapidly.

I did about 12 exercises, one set each to failure. If I got 12 or more reps, I would raise the weight next workout. After 3-4 months of this I switched to a split routine.

I'm thinking of going back to that same type routine for a while. It would be an improvment over my missed leg day every week for the last month.

MDC,
    That makes me feel better. Right now I don't have time for a 3-day split. I will stick to 10-12 reps w/ as heavy weight as possible. I should only stay on this for 8 weeks, and then I'll switch up.

imperfectly_lou,
    Now that I've changed my diet to higher protein/lower carbs, even with the extra fat, I am not physically hungry on 1500-1600 cals. I think the binges are just mental hunger, if that makes sense.

Thanks all for the advice.
    Jessica

MDC,
    That makes me feel better. Right now I don't have time for a 3-day split. I will stick to 10-12 reps w/ as heavy weight as possible. I should only stay on this for 8 weeks, and then I'll switch up.

imperfectly_lou,
    Now that I've changed my diet to higher protein/lower carbs, even with the extra fat, I am not physically hungry on 1500-1600 cals. I think the binges are just mental hunger, if that makes sense.

Thanks all for the advice.
    Jessica