Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    xSteven will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSteven will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSteven will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSteven will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSteven will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSteven will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSteven will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSteven will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSteven will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSteven will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSteven will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Football tackling question.

So I'm a corner, and we were practicing tackling today. For our drills I do fine, but for one drill we did trapping and with the running back going full speed at me I tried to tackle him but I was too high so we just hit and we went out of bounds. Coach told me I was too high so I was going to fix it, so same scenario and I came up, got lower and then tried to tackle him but then just got mowed over but still made the tackle but I got hit to the ground, and the coach said how are you going to make a tackle? I didnt respond because he told me to get lower and I did, but I did make a tackle.

So, can you guys tell me how I'm suppost to make a tackle when a man is going full speed at me. My coach wasnt making any sense. :/
    Last edited by xSteven; 07-09-2012 at 07:41 AM.
    BSU2020/Pre-Physician Assistant

tomgaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) tomgaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) tomgaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) tomgaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) tomgaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) tomgaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) tomgaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) tomgaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) tomgaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) tomgaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) tomgaa is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by xSteven View Post
    So I'm a corner, and we were practicing tackling today. For our drills I do fine, but for one drill we did trapping and with the running back going full speed at me I tried to tackle him but I was too high so we just hit and we went out of bounds. Coach told me I was too high so I was going to fix it, so same scenario and I came up, got lower and then tried to tackle him but then just got mowed over but still made the tackle but I got hit to the ground, and the coach said how are you going to make a tackle? I didnt respond because he told me to get lower and I did, but I did make a tackle.

So, can you guys tell me how I'm suppost to make a tackle when a man is going full speed at me. My coach wasnt making any sense. :/
    i play rugby so whether what i say applys to nfl or not i dont no. but you have to imagine a static object (you) getting hit by a fast moving object (opposition player), even if you make the tackle your both goin to fall back or head in the direction that he's goin. you need to get your legs bent, upperbody 45' degrees, be low and drive upwards and forward

BlitzNLift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlitzNLift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlitzNLift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlitzNLift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlitzNLift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlitzNLift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlitzNLift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlitzNLift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlitzNLift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlitzNLift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlitzNLift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Bro when you go for a tackle make sure your same leg and same hip! All big hits are like that

But when size advantage is difference which I'm sure cause he's a rb! Make sure you see the tackle! Head up wrap them ****ing legs and use your legs to explode through, most people don't wrap upor use legs and that ruins them

xSteven will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSteven will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSteven will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSteven will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSteven will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSteven will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSteven will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSteven will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSteven will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSteven will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSteven will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by BlitzNLift View Post
    Bro when you go for a tackle make sure your same leg and same hip! All big hits are like that

But when size advantage is difference which I'm sure cause he's a rb! Make sure you see the tackle! Head up wrap them ****ing legs and use your legs to explode through, most people don't wrap upor use legs and that ruins them
    They taught us to wrap around the body by shoulder pads. But we'll see tomorrow, i'll try what you guys told me.

SixStarPro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SixStarPro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SixStarPro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SixStarPro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SixStarPro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SixStarPro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SixStarPro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SixStarPro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SixStarPro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SixStarPro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SixStarPro is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Originally Posted by tomgaa View Post
    i play rugby so whether what i say applys to nfl or not i dont no. but you have to imagine a static object (you) getting hit by a fast moving object (opposition player), even if you make the tackle your both goin to fall back or head in the direction that he's goin. you need to get your legs bent, upperbody 45' degrees, be low and drive upwards and forward
    OP, Tomgaa hit it on the head with being low and driving UPWARDS and forward. On point of contact you should roll your hips and explode through your legs as you wrap up the shoulder pads. When you're at home keep practising that motion of starting low and exploding upwards and forwards.

All the best man!
    Luke -
    Team Six Star
    Six Star Pro Nutrition Rep

SixStarProNutrition.com | ********.com/SixStarNutrition | @SixStarPro | YouTube.com/SixStarNutrition

Originally Posted by SixStarPro View Post
    OP, Tomgaa hit it on the head with being low and driving UPWARDS and forward. On point of contact you should roll your hips and explode through your legs as you wrap up the shoulder pads. When you're at home keep practising that motion of starting low and exploding upwards and forwards.

All the best man!
    Luke -
    Team Six Star
    Alright, i don't know why my coach was yelling at me then. I only messed up that once when I was up high. Should I also be sprinting at him when I go for the tackle?

edit-the guy i was tackling was my size but hes super fast and puts his head down so i tried to tackle him but i just got mowed over but still made the tackle.

SixStarPro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SixStarPro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SixStarPro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SixStarPro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SixStarPro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SixStarPro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SixStarPro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SixStarPro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SixStarPro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SixStarPro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SixStarPro is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Alright, i don't know why my coach was yelling at me then. I only messed up that once when I was up high. Should I also be sprinting at him when I go for the tackle?

edit-the guy i was tackling was my size but hes super fast and puts his head down so i tried to tackle him but i just got mowed over but still made the tackle.
    I was taught at a very young age, "low man always wins". No you shouldn't be sprinting at him, get your feet planted and shoulders square to the ball carrier just before impact. At the point of impact, roll your hips and explode upwards and through the ball carrier while wrapping him up and taking him down.

Practice makes perfect bro!
    Luke

SixStarProNutrition.com | ********.com/SixStarNutrition | @SixStarPro | YouTube.com/SixStarNutrition

I was taught at a very young age, "low man always wins". No you shouldn't be sprinting at him, get your feet planted and shoulders square to the ball carrier just before impact. At the point of impact, roll your hips and explode upwards and through the ball carrier while wrapping him up and taking him down.

Luke
    Alright, i'll see how practice goes tomorrow. Thanks a lot Luke.

tomgaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) tomgaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) tomgaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) tomgaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) tomgaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) tomgaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) tomgaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) tomgaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) tomgaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) tomgaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) tomgaa is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Should I also be sprinting at him when I go for the tackle?
    if u sprint at him... one side step and he's gone and your flat on ur face, just one little bit of advice... if the guy your trying to tackle jinks/sidesteps/ dance's around you or is known to have good agility, NEVER LOOK AT HIS LEGS OR THE BALL, always concentrate on his torso... hes legs or hands can go one way and cum back, but wat ever way his torso/core goes then thats the way he goes

if u sprint at him... one side step and he's gone and your flat on ur face, just one little bit of advice... if the guy your trying to tackle jinks/sidesteps/ dance's around you or is known to have good agility, NEVER LOOK AT HIS LEGS OR THE BALL, always concentrate on his torso... hes legs or hands can go one way and cum back, but wat ever way his torso/core goes then thats the way he goes
    Alright thanks. I think thats why I kept falling. I would sprint at him and then we would hit pretty friggin hard and then I would fall and then he would. So I should run but then get in my stance and then tackle?

Alright thanks. I think thats why I kept falling. I would sprint at him and then we would hit pretty friggin hard and then I would fall and then he would. So I should run but then get in my stance and then tackle?
    kind of.... its hard to explain on this, u want to be on the balls of your feet because if both feet are fully on the ground then ur wide open 2 a sidestep, u nevr see sprinters flat footed when starting off the blocks exploding forward!!!!!!!

kind of.... its hard to explain on this, u want to be on the balls of your feet because if both feet are fully on the ground then ur wide open 2 a sidestep, u nevr see sprinters flat footed when starting off the blocks exploding forward!!!!!!!
    YES YES & YES!!! Great advice about not being flat-footed and looking at the torso. Stay on the balls of your feet, square up and explode upwards and through the ball carrier. Good stuff guys!

Luke

Registered User RedneckFootball's Avatar
    RedneckFootball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedneckFootball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedneckFootball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedneckFootball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedneckFootball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedneckFootball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedneckFootball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedneckFootball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedneckFootball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedneckFootball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedneckFootball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Luke
    Same taught here sort of. Drop the hips but dont drop your head, ALWAYS KEEP YOUR HEAD UP, arms down at the hips and when your about to tackle, shoulder pads at the hips, fire both arms up like a double upper cutand bring your hips trough with the arms and keep driving your legs until you have completed the tackle.
    Spruce Grove Panthers starting DE #91

Apart of Spruce Grove Powerlifting

Bench 275 x 1
    Deadlift 455 x 1
    16'' Box Squat 335 x 1

Thanks a lot guys. Learned a lot and i'll see how I do tomorrow, but I think tomorrow is offence but we might still tackle so we shall see.

imsotheman is on a distinguished road. (+10) imsotheman is on a distinguished road. (+10) imsotheman is on a distinguished road. (+10) imsotheman is on a distinguished road. (+10) imsotheman is on a distinguished road. (+10) imsotheman is on a distinguished road. (+10) imsotheman is on a distinguished road. (+10) imsotheman is on a distinguished road. (+10) imsotheman is on a distinguished road. (+10) imsotheman is on a distinguished road. (+10) imsotheman is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    when you go to the gym, theres a squat machine that has pads that rest on your shoulders.... practice your hits on it.... plant on balls of your feet, dig deep and plow the ****er... its all in the head... imagine hes slow and a pussy.. and pretend your willie beeman....
    Hopefully I'll make it to 6% by this winter so I can finally bulk for the rest of my life.

Originally Posted by imsotheman View Post
    when you go to the gym, theres a squat machine that has pads that rest on your shoulders.... practice your hits on it.... plant on balls of your feet, dig deep and plow the ****er... its all in the head... imagine hes slow and a pussy.. and pretend your willie beeman....
    Willie Beeman! Great reference! OP, being that you're a Corner, it's important that you don't get flat-footed when you square up for your hit, get in position, stay on your toes and explode. You'll be asked to make a lot of open space tackles so you'll have to be able to tackle fast moving targets. Like it was mentioned before, where the torso goes, so does the rest of the body!

Thanks a lot guys. Learned a lot and i'll see how I do tomorrow, but I think tomorrow is offence but we might still tackle so we shall see.
    dnt get disheartened if u miss a tackle or 2, if u master the technique over time ul perfect the tackle, once u make that first big tackle in a game.. ur confidence will rocket and ul go lookin for the next 1 u wnt stand around waiting!!!

"Anybody who aint afraid to work, greatness will chase them, the dont have to chase it"

dnt get disheartened if u miss a tackle or 2, if u master the technique over time ul perfect the tackle, once u make that first big tackle in a game.. ur confidence will rocket and ul go lookin for the next 1 u wnt stand around waiting!!!

"Anybody who aint afraid to work, greatness will chase them, the dont have to chase it"
    Well I've done good tackles and I did get like excited to get another big hit. I'm the kid known as "Rookie of the year" because I just joined but everyone says im pretty good so they call me rookie of the year and ima prolly be a starter. I've wrestled before so I can take down it's just different while moving. I did a lot better today. We did blocking and I knocked kids down. Tomorrow is tackling, i'll see how i do from all the things you guys told me.

LhsLion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I play Defensive End, a lot of the time in games all I really can do it cut there legs outs, but every now and then when i get an open field tackle i body them up drive my legs stay low and extend my legs and exploded out.

Well I've done good tackles and I did get like excited to get another big hit. I'm the kid known as "Rookie of the year" because I just joined but everyone says im pretty good so they call me rookie of the year and ima prolly be a starter. I've wrestled before so I can take down it's just different while moving. I did a lot better today. We did blocking and I knocked kids down. Tomorrow is tackling, i'll see how i do from all the things you guys told me.
    keep us posted on hw it all works out, best of luck buddy!!

LittleSam is not very well liked. (-100) LittleSam is not very well liked. (-100) LittleSam is not very well liked. (-100) LittleSam is not very well liked. (-100) LittleSam is not very well liked. (-100) LittleSam is not very well liked. (-100) LittleSam is not very well liked. (-100) LittleSam is not very well liked. (-100) LittleSam is not very well liked. (-100) LittleSam is not very well liked. (-100) LittleSam is not very well liked. (-100)
    They taught us to wrap around the body by shoulder pads. But we'll see tomorrow, i'll try what you guys told me.
    are you serious!?!? they told you to wrap up around the shoulder pads!? no no no on no. proper tackling form is to wrap up around the waist/thigh area, especially if you're at a size disadvantage.

correct me if i misunderstood what you said here.
    Last edited by LittleSam; 07-10-2012 at 09:31 AM.
    I can all things through Christ, who strengthens me. -Philippians 4:13

I play the greatest sport in the world: Rugby. 2nd row.

Originally Posted by LittleSam View Post
    are you serious!?!? they told you to wrap up around the shoulder pads!? no no no on no. proper tackling form is to wrap up around the waist/thigh area, especially if you're at a size disadvantage.

well even lower than waist coz if they are powerfull runners then they will drag u, wrap the legs and watch the tree fall regardless of size, and i do appreciate that its easier said than done when they are bigger than u...

Garrett6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Garrett6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Garrett6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Garrett6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Garrett6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Garrett6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Garrett6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Garrett6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Garrett6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Garrett6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Garrett6 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The way I was taught to tackle is first of all, get lower than the opposing player, which your coach was right about because the lower man always wins. Next, you have to make sure you wrap the player up and once you have him wrapped up drive him back. If it is a shoulder tackle try to put you shoulder pad in between his numbers maybe right under the numbers. The technique of tackling is all about leverage remember that.

Registered User RedneckFootball's Avatar
    RedneckFootball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedneckFootball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedneckFootball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedneckFootball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedneckFootball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedneckFootball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedneckFootball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedneckFootball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedneckFootball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedneckFootball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedneckFootball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Just about everyones center of gravity is around their hips/waist area, so getting low and driving through their center of gravity will give you a high chance at making a tackle than hitting anywhere else. Higher than their hips/waist area is just a bad idea, you will have a high chance at getting run over, especailly as a smaller guy like you. Going for there legs usually means you have to get so low that you drop your head and thats where a running back or a reciever for example can just shove your face into the ground or juke you. But if your good at making ankle tackles they are never going to be big hits. Good luck man.
    Spruce Grove Panthers starting DE #91

Apart of Spruce Grove Powerlifting

Bench 275 x 1
    Deadlift 455 x 1
    16'' Box Squat 335 x 1

Yep. We were taught to put our head on ball side, aim for the number on jersey. Shoot our hands up on their back and drive up and lift them up. It seemed weird like not even like a tackle, more like a hit/block. But I did what they asked, and thats what they taught me. I guess I'll change it up and see how it goes. I appreciate you guys all commenting. Helped me a lot.

Yep. We were taught to put our head on ball side, aim for the number on jersey. Shoot our hands up on their back and drive up and lift them up. It seemed weird like not even like a tackle, more like a hit/block. But I did what they asked, and thats what they taught me. I guess I'll change it up and see how it goes. I appreciate you guys all commenting. Helped me a lot.

That's exactly you want to do! I hope you're not getting confused man but your coaches have it right. The thing that might confuse you though is that you think you have to start high to hit a guy in the numbers but if you start low with a great base, roll the hips and explode upwards, wrap the ball carrier and go through him, you'll be golden!

Keep us updated on your progress
    Luke

That's exactly you want to do! I hope you're not getting confused man but your coaches have it right. The thing that might confuse you though is that you think you have to start high to hit a guy in the numbers but if you start low with a great base, roll the hips and explode upwards, wrap the ball carrier and go through him, you'll be golden!

Keep us updated on your progress
    Luke
    Today went great. We did a drill for db's where you take 3 steps backwards run and hit, take 3 steps back again and hit then ur done. Both of the times I tried to get as low as possible, then i exploded up and it just felt like a clean hit and the kid basically fell the 2 times i hit him. I appreciate it a lot guys.

Today went great. We did a drill for db's where you take 3 steps backwards run and hit, take 3 steps back again and hit then ur done. Both of the times I tried to get as low as possible, then i exploded up and it just felt like a clean hit and the kid basically fell the 2 times i hit him. I appreciate it a lot guys.
    fair play, just try and get more explosive in that upward movement... and you will cause carnage!!!

fair play, just try and get more explosive in that upward movement... and you will cause carnage!!!
    Great stuff guys! I like Tomgaa's carnage comment too. Hitting/tackling is so much about attitude. Along with technique, you need to have that killer instinct and love hitting!

Good stuff Steven!!!

Great stuff guys! I like Tomgaa's carnage comment too. Hitting/tackling is so much about attitude. Along with technique, you need to have that killer instinct and love hitting!

Good stuff Steven!!!
    I do. I try to get myself pissed off before I go on the field. Thanks for helping, Luke and Tomgaa