JustinBowling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Conquering the heat?

In the cincinnati area the heat index has been getting well over 100 degrees and it really has been hurting my workouts. Whenever I run sprints or hills, or bleachers, lately I have not been able to even finish my workouts, which I usually can easily do. It has to be the heat, because I normally can do alot better. How can I get around this problem? Do I just wake up at like 5 am?

ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hydrate, and time.

I played basketball in 100deg weather. It takes a few weeks to get use to it. Drink a **** ton of water.
    Estimated 1Rep Max at ~204lbs

Squat 370lb (1.71xBW)
    Deadlift 470lb (2.30xBW)
    Bench 265lb (1.30xBW)

-bk

Originally Posted by ByronKelly View Post
    Hydrate, and time.

I played basketball in 100deg weather. It takes a few weeks to get use to it. Drink a **** ton of water.
    I do man, and I deffinitley think basketball is a great workout, but high intensity hills and sprints are alot harder, no offense. I can play basketball in this weather. Thanks though.

DesertFootball is just really nice. (+1000) DesertFootball is just really nice. (+1000) DesertFootball is just really nice. (+1000) DesertFootball is just really nice. (+1000) DesertFootball is just really nice. (+1000) DesertFootball is just really nice. (+1000) DesertFootball is just really nice. (+1000) DesertFootball is just really nice. (+1000) DesertFootball is just really nice. (+1000) DesertFootball is just really nice. (+1000) DesertFootball is just really nice. (+1000)
    Rest longer between sets, make sure you WARM UP extensively, drink OVER a gallon of water a day. And SACK UP. I live in Arizona man, its well over 120+ on somedays and you just have to push through it. Obviously don't have a heat stroke though lol. Keep pushing and training hard bro.

JV9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JV9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JV9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JV9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JV9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JV9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JV9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JV9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JV9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JV9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JV9 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Make sure you stay hydrated and get plenty of rest. It is very hot and humid where I live also. I personally use those NUN electrolyte tabs to help replenish myself while i work out

AssassinCrazy is on a distinguished road. (+10) AssassinCrazy is on a distinguished road. (+10) AssassinCrazy is on a distinguished road. (+10) AssassinCrazy is on a distinguished road. (+10) AssassinCrazy is on a distinguished road. (+10) AssassinCrazy is on a distinguished road. (+10) AssassinCrazy is on a distinguished road. (+10) AssassinCrazy is on a distinguished road. (+10) AssassinCrazy is on a distinguished road. (+10) AssassinCrazy is on a distinguished road. (+10) AssassinCrazy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by JustinBowling View Post
    In the cincinnati area the heat index has been getting well over 100 degrees and it really has been hurting my workouts. Whenever I run sprints or hills, or bleachers, lately I have not been able to even finish my workouts, which I usually can easily do. It has to be the heat, because I normally can do alot better. How can I get around this problem? Do I just wake up at like 5 am?
    You answer you own question. Wake up and get your workout runs between 5am-6am.
    You can also do your workouts at night around 6-7pm. Whichever you prefer

thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by JustinBowling View Post
    I live in south Louisiana. The humidity plus temp around here is borderline dangerous. People sweat profusely walking to their car out the grocery store.

Anyways, I do sprints after work once a week at the track (along with another moderate-paced 3.5 mile run once a week). I now have to bring water with me on the track when I normally didn't have to.. My body is acclimated to the heat now, but don't think you will stop sweating. Sweating is good, and normal. It probably Looks like I'm dying when I'm done by the amount of sweat on my shirt, but as long as I stay hydrated, I really don't feel bad at all now that I'm used to it. You just have to keep at it. Listen to your body. If you are thirsty, Drink. You will slowly get better if you keep at it.. Don't be afraid of some vitamin water/powerade/gatorade either. Water is great but sometimes you need a little sugar/electrolytes.

Also, I found running shirtless helps me a ton. Having a shirt stick to me for 3 miles just sucks. A lot of guys run shirtless (& chicks in sportsbras) since it's so freaking hot around these parts..

If you can run early in the morning, or later in the evening, by all means, DO IT. I only run after work in the brutal heat b/c it works for my schedule. I Wish I could make myself get up at 5am and run, but it just ain't gonna happen.

Good luck bud.

edit: also, don't be bummed if your times aren't as good in the heat. It doesn't mean you got slower or you aren't trying.. it happens to everyone. Marathon records are often set when there are ideal weather conditions (i.e. cooler), not in blistering heat..
    Last edited by thejosef; 07-05-2012 at 07:46 PM. Reason: added one thing..
    Equipment Crew #68, Ivanko Crew #47, Rogue Barbell Club #7, Mech6 Crew #30
    7'x18' Home Gym: http://goo.gl/CBphUy
    Best Lifts @ 153 bw: Sq 320, BP 245, DL 320, Press 155

Originally Posted by thejosef View Post
    I live in south Louisiana. The humidity plus temp around here is borderline dangerous. People sweat profusely walking to their car out the grocery store.

Anyways, I do sprints after work once a week at the track (along with another moderate-paced 3.5 mile run once a week). I now have to bring water with me on the track when I normally didn't have to.. My body is acclimated to the heat now, but don't think you will stop sweating. Sweating is good, and normal. It probably Looks like I'm dying when I'm done by the amount of sweat on my shirt, but as long as I stay hydrated, I really don't feel bad at all now that I'm used to it. You just have to keep at it. Listen to your body. If you are thirsty, Drink. You will slowly get better if you keep at it.. Don't be afraid of some vitamin water/powerade/gatorade either. Water is great but sometimes you need a little sugar/electrolytes.

Also, I found running shirtless helps me a ton. Having a shirt stick to me for 3 miles just sucks. A lot of guys run shirtless (& chicks in sportsbras) since it's so freaking hot around these parts..

If you can run early in the morning, or later in the evening, by all means, DO IT. I only run after work in the brutal heat b/c it works for my schedule. I Wish I could make myself get up at 5am and run, but it just ain't gonna happen.

Good luck bud.

edit: also, don't be bummed if your times aren't as good in the heat. It doesn't mean you got slower or you aren't trying.. it happens to everyone. Marathon records are often set when there are ideal weather conditions (i.e. cooler), not in blistering heat..
    Thanks man, I'm feeling pretty down about my running lately. I usually only drink before and after my running workouts, but I will start to drink in between reps or intervals. I really feel for you guys down south, it must be terrible. I'm with you on waking up at 5. I know it would work, but I just love my sleep too much.