Ben1996 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Training for rugby

I've been playing rugby for almost my whole life and I have played at quite high levels. However I'm moving to a boarding school where most students excel at rugby. I doubt I'll make the first team in the first year at lower Sixth but would like to set myself the goal of being in the 2nd XV.

I currently weigh 74kg and I am 5'11, age 16.
    I need to put on *more mass* and *improve my fitness*, I need general advice on supplements and nutrition but I was hoping for someone to give me a workout regime that would target both building my mass as well as improving my fitness.
    I have the whole summer (just less than 2 months) to train and I find that when I have a regime I train quite vividly.

If anybody has any training schedules/nutrition advice that would help me with training for rugby it'd be greatly appreciated. I also have saved up money for supplements that I can use over the summer, for the last month or so I've been gyming twice a week and taking Whey protein after.

For me target areas are;
    Pectorals
    Shoulders
    Biceps
    Quads
    Abs

I play back row but generally open-side flanker/no. 8

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Ben1996; 07-03-2012 at 11:47 PM.

bodyrecomposition[dot]com silverlux's Avatar
    silverlux is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlux is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlux is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlux is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlux is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlux is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlux is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlux is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlux is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlux is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlux is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Sport-specific training leads to physical enhancement during sport-specific situations. This is a conditioning program for rugby players set up by Coach Barnes.
    The physical demands of rugby vary depending on the control of play, the athlete's position, environmental conditions and other unforeseen variables. Therefore, taking a methodical and scientific approach to conditioning is vita
    Weight Training

-The benefits of weight training have been documented repeatedly. Some of these benefits include increased joint stability/injury prevention, enhanced speed, coordination, power and improved self-confidence. The primary emphasis of weight training for the upper extremities (shoulders, chest, back and arms) is protection from injury by increasing strength and size.
    -The emphasis on the torso increases strength and spine stability.
    For the legs and hips, the goal is to develop explosive strength for the hip flexors and extensors, and maintain or acquire balance between the quadricep and hamstring muscle groups.
    -The weight training routine was adjusted to elicit a five to ten percent increase in strength, although greater gains can be achieved. The core exercises are executed on a percentage scale to avoid overtraining and prevent staleness. Athletes did not use percentages for the clean and snatch exercises because most of them were learning the exercises for the first time.

Plyometrics

-Plyometrics are defined as exercises that are characterized by powerful muscular contractions in response to rapid, dynamic loading or stretching of the involved muscles.
    -Examples of plyometric movements are jumping for a rebound in basketball, a tumbling pass in gymnastics and a springboard dive.
    -Plyometrics can be done for the upper body as well as the torso. The degree of sprinting at maximal speeds can be defined as a plyometric exercise in Rugby, which is a game of speed, power and explosion.

Conditioning

-Sprint training
    -Run specific training for rugby
    -Long and slow distance running. The conditioning segments of the routine are to be done three days per week, preferably day one on Monday, day two on Thursday, and day three on either Saturday or Sunday.

Weight Training Program For Rugby

-source: Dr. Mauro Di Pasquale

alexpert321 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

benefits of weight training

Thanks !! Great information !!

LittleSam is not very well liked. (-100) LittleSam is not very well liked. (-100) LittleSam is not very well liked. (-100) LittleSam is not very well liked. (-100) LittleSam is not very well liked. (-100) LittleSam is not very well liked. (-100) LittleSam is not very well liked. (-100) LittleSam is not very well liked. (-100) LittleSam is not very well liked. (-100) LittleSam is not very well liked. (-100) LittleSam is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by Ben1996 View Post
    I've been playing rugby for almost my whole life and I have played at quite high levels. However I'm moving to a boarding school where most students excel at rugby. I doubt I'll make the first team in the first year at lower Sixth but would like to set myself the goal of being in the 2nd XV.

I need to put on *more mass* and *improve my fitness*, I need general advice on supplements and nutrition but I was hoping for someone to give me a workout regime that would target both building my mass as well as improving my fitness.
    I have the whole summer (just less than 2 months) to train and I find that when I have a regime I train quite vividly.

If anybody has any training schedules/nutrition advice that would help me with training for rugby it'd be greatly appreciated. I also have saved up money for supplements that I can use over the summer, for the last month or so I've been gyming twice a week and taking Whey protein after.

For me target areas are;
    Pectorals
    Shoulders
    Biceps
    Quads
    Abs

Thanks in advance
    i'm in the process of training for the fall rugby season too. first off, don't sell yourself short by already telling yourself you won't get playing time this season. you want to aim to be the starter, even if it the chances don't look good. i'm going into my sophomore season at my college, and i play second row behind 3 (yes, three) very, very talented locks who are all going to be seniors but i'm training hard and won't be happy with anything less than 40 minutes a match.

set high standards for yourself, basically.

first off, do you have a gym membership? also, do you have enough time to workout twice a day a few days a week?
    I can all things through Christ, who strengthens me. -Philippians 4:13

I play the greatest sport in the world: Rugby. 2nd row.

tomgaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) tomgaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) tomgaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) tomgaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) tomgaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) tomgaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) tomgaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) tomgaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) tomgaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) tomgaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) tomgaa is on a distinguished road. (+10)

For me target areas are;
    Pectorals
    Shoulders
    Biceps
    Quads
    Abs

Thanks in advance
    my brother plays rugby at a very high level nt 2 far off a pro contract. now im nt going to tell you how to get fit as ul be covering al that in training and ur gym work has been covered here, bu when my brothers club gt fitness tested they do a ting called the 150m shuffle where you have 30s to cover as much ground as u can, your dist is recorded, and you get 30s break, then go again, 6 sets, and your over all dist is calculated and the min that they have to hit is 700m, most they can hit is 900m, so just a gauge if you want to c how fit u are or how ur progression is over a season

Ben1996 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am setting a high standard of the 2nd XV haha, most of the people in the 1st XV play for England U18 or are going through pro club academies, it's probably the best rugby school in the world. I do have a gym membership and I've time is not an issue as I'm on holidays now, thanks again.
    Also if someone could leave some nutrition advice

Elavaanil is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Elavaanil is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Elavaanil is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Elavaanil is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Elavaanil is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Elavaanil is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Elavaanil is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Elavaanil is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Elavaanil is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Elavaanil is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Elavaanil is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I play the same positions as you mate.
    Just do Madcow's 5X5

http://madcow.hostzi.com/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

it's all you need tbh.
    lots of squats for tackling.
    3 times a week. For me I have training mon weds fri so I go to the gym on tues thurs sat.
    throw in whatever assistance exercises you feel like you need (curls/triceps isolations wtv)

good luck man!
    Misc Wristwatch Crew

^^^()()GERMANIC CREW()()^^^

Misc Strength Crew

*Official SNSD Crew*

tomgaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) tomgaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) tomgaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) tomgaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) tomgaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) tomgaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) tomgaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) tomgaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) tomgaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) tomgaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) tomgaa is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I am setting a high standard of the 2nd XV haha, most of the people in the 1st XV play for England U18 or are going through pro club academies, it's probably the best rugby school in the world. I do have a gym membership and I've time is not an issue as I'm on holidays now, thanks again.
    Also if someone could leave some nutrition advice
    a general rule of thumb is protein 1-1.5g per lb, carbs 1.5-2g per lb, and your healthy fats. ur carbs should be got from veggies, oats, pasta, rice sweet potatoes.. and lots of fruit!!!