mjs5128 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Pinched Nerve C7 of Spine

Hey Guys,

About 3 weeks ago, I was doing seated overhead presses when I pinched a nerve at C7 of the spine (Right at the base of my neck). I have gone to the chiropractor as well as a Neurologist who told me to give it until mid-august to heal. The Doc told me to avoid doing any exercises that go above the head and behind the neck.

After seeing the chiropractor, almost all pain and discomfort has subsided, and the only thing I'm experiencing now is a major loss in strength in my right arm. The pinched nerve prevents me from doing any type of "pushing" workouts because I have almost no strength in my right tricep. I am able to curl, perform shoulder and back exercises that do not go above my head, and my strength is normal. Any time an exercise includes my tricep, it fails.

Has anyone on here been through this before? Are there any exercises or stretches that will help expedite the release of pressure on the nerve? Any advice would be helpful! Thanks!

mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yep, I have periodic problems with this (I have a lot of cartilage related problems), and am now as a matter of fact. The that that helps me most is neck stretching, specifically, chin back, head straight up, and then rotating the head forward. Your PT should have showed you this stretch. Rows and squats seem to bother it the most. I have to be careful to not exaggerate the head-up position when doing these.
    2 + 2 = 5 (for extremely large values of 2)

Try SCE to AUX

LuWellness is on a distinguished road. (+10) LuWellness is on a distinguished road. (+10) LuWellness is on a distinguished road. (+10) LuWellness is on a distinguished road. (+10) LuWellness is on a distinguished road. (+10) LuWellness is on a distinguished road. (+10) LuWellness is on a distinguished road. (+10) LuWellness is on a distinguished road. (+10) LuWellness is on a distinguished road. (+10) LuWellness is on a distinguished road. (+10) LuWellness is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by mjs5128 View Post
    Hey Guys,

About 3 weeks ago, I was doing seated overhead presses when I pinched a nerve at C7 of the spine (Right at the base of my neck). I have gone to the chiropractor as well as a Neurologist who told me to give it until mid-august to heal. The Doc told me to avoid doing any exercises that go above the head and behind the neck.

After seeing the chiropractor, almost all pain and discomfort has subsided, and the only thing I'm experiencing now is a major loss in strength in my right arm. The pinched nerve prevents me from doing any type of "pushing" workouts because I have almost no strength in my right tricep. I am able to curl, perform shoulder and back exercises that do not go above my head, and my strength is normal. Any time an exercise includes my tricep, it fails.

Has anyone on here been through this before? Are there any exercises or stretches that will help expedite the release of pressure on the nerve? Any advice would be helpful! Thanks!
    It's most likely the Radial Nerve. The C7 nerve root is a part of the Radial Nerve and the Triceps are innervated by the Radial Nerve. You'd just have to stimulate the Triceps - start with isometric, and progressively increase the duration of the contraction and work your way to eccentric movements.

Is there any pain associated with it? And is there any numbness in the hand at all?

rowe513 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rowe513 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rowe513 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rowe513 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rowe513 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rowe513 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rowe513 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rowe513 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rowe513 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rowe513 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rowe513 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I suffered a herniated disc doing seating military press on 10/08/12. The pain lasted for about a month, numbness in left hand and forearm and basically paralyzed my left tricep. Two days prior to injury I hit 405 for 10 reps on bench....a week after injury I couldn't even bench 135 cuz my tricep wouldn't do the movement, it wouldn't do ANY pressing movement or tricep exercise.

I sought help and treatment from a chiropractor...who verified my injury with an MRI and began treatment. The pain and numbness have since subsided, however the strength is no where near what it was. My left tricep is noticeably smaller than my right. I never quit going to the gym after my injury, just did different exercises and more cardio than I care to do! Lol! It's been sometime since your post, has your strength returned? Are you better? I'm hoping my strength returns soon, it's depressing going to the gym and struggling to lift weights that only a couple months ago I would warm up with.

isles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) isles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) isles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) isles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) isles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) isles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) isles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) isles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) isles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) isles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) isles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by rowe513 View Post
    I suffered a herniated disc doing seating military press on 10/08/12. The pain lasted for about a month, numbness in left hand and forearm and basically paralyzed my left tricep. Two days prior to injury I hit 405 for 10 reps on bench....a week after injury I couldn't even bench 135 cuz my tricep wouldn't do the movement, it wouldn't do ANY pressing movement or tricep exercise.

I sought help and treatment from a chiropractor...who verified my injury with an MRI and began treatment. The pain and numbness have since subsided, however the strength is no where near what it was. My left tricep is noticeably smaller than my right. I never quit going to the gym after my injury, just did different exercises and more cardio than I care to do! Lol! It's been sometime since your post, has your strength returned? Are you better? I'm hoping my strength returns soon, it's depressing going to the gym and struggling to lift weights that only a couple months ago I would warm up with.

I'm just home from neck surgery todsy. In April while doing bench I lost strength in left side out of no where. Freaked me out. All bench exercises I was weak on all over head presses too.
    Curls too. 15 lbs less on left side than right. General dr, pt,and Chiro treated me for sprained trap. Finally in dec I demanded MRI! I told dr about curls being weak and he was like that wouldn't be trap. He immediately thought of neck. So did MRI on that and it showed large herniated disc. Did pt again focusing on neck I did not get better. Did surgery yesterday. Dr said I had pinched nerve from huge herniated disc at c4c5

rpay10324 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hows your recovery going? isles?

isles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) isles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) isles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) isles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) isles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) isles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) isles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) isles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) isles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) isles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) isles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by rpay10324 View Post
    hows your recovery going? isles?
    Thanks for asking rpay. I'm doing ok. Little stiff still. Been walking around alot! Active guys like us on here the inactivity will be the worse. Taking Tylenol for pain so it's manageable. Without core muscles this would suck to get out of bed! But the pain that I had pre surgery is gone thank God!
    Hoping to do work at least mornings on Thursday.

rowe513 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rowe513 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rowe513 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rowe513 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rowe513 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rowe513 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rowe513 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rowe513 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rowe513 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rowe513 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rowe513 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by isles View Post
    Thanks for asking rpay. I'm doing ok. Little stiff still. Been walking around alot! Active guys like us on here the inactivity will be the worse. Taking Tylenol for pain so it's manageable. Without core muscles this would suck to get out of bed! But the pain that I had pre surgery is gone thank God!
    Hoping to do work at least mornings on Thursday.
    Good to hear!

Rowe -
    The biggest thing was no strength. My mom asked me why am I doing this because I didn't look in pain and I was moving well. I simply said I'm not ok not getting stronger and in really not ok going backwards which obviously I have been lifting less weight. And the kicker was watching a skinny girl do the same weight in dumbbell curls as me. That I was not ok with haha. So I'm sitting home now watching 3 hockey games enjoying a few beers.

my issue is i have lost alot of strength in my left arm (bone spur c6/7)...now my fingers are tingling all the time, and i'm getting spasms in my hand...seeing my general Dr monday, and going from there...taking my MRI from a year ago so hopefully i can get right in to see a nuero

I don't think my reply went through.
    Anyways if you gotta do surgery just do it. Get it over with. Be over before you know it.
    Walked a mile today.
    Can't wait till lift agsin!
    Worst thing about this really the lack of shower cause you can't get wound wet.
    I'm going to wrap it up today in Saran Wrap.
    And the insomnia from the anti inflame steroid they have me on.
    Pain over all is less than before surgery to be honest.
    Please let me know how you make out and ask any questions that pop in your mind.

I was able to shower the day after my surgery....my biggest complaint two weeks post surgery is this stupid neck collar. I swear it causes more pain and discomfort wearing it than not!

Rowe- your lucky to have showered! Did you have your wound stitched? Mine is glued, that's why I think I can't get wet.
    I've been wearing the collar , I'm going to call them todsy to see what they say on it. They weren't all adamant about me doing it. I think it's my nervousness

Rowe- your lucky to have showered! Did you have your wound stitched? Mine is glued, that's why I think I can't get wet.
    I've been wearing the collar , I'm going to call them todsy to see what they say on it. They weren't all adamant about me doing it. I think it's my nervousness
    Glued with "steri-strips".....no stitches as they tend to leave a bigger scar.

I pretty much only wear that stupid collar when I'm in a car....hate to be in an accident and not have it on this short of surgery...other than that, I don't hardly wear it. The doctor told me I for sure didn't have to wear it at night. I have absolutely NO pain and I am constantly reminding myself that I did just have surgery only 2 weeks ago cuz I find myself wanting to get back to normal aggressive lifting

Oh wow Rowe I didn't realize you we're this soon out!
    Are you at gym at all? Your driving?

Oh wow Rowe I didn't realize you we're this soon out!
    Are you at gym at all? Your driving?
    I had surgery on Monday Feb. 11th....went to the gym on Friday the 15th and been going almost daily since. Nothing crazy....but trying to get the strength back in my tricep and left pec. Then I walk for 30 minutes.

Yeah, I haven't had any pain meds since Tuesday night Feb. 12th....so I drive to the gym and to work

Awesome! I haven't got the ok to lift anything over ten lbs . Hoping on my Friday appt that is lifted. I to havent done pain meds since surgery day. Walking is so helpful!

i had lost my report from my old MRI from over a year ago my general DR found it today during my appt...but i had then disc herniation of c2/3 5/6 and c7/t1...with spurs on 5/6 and c7/t1...here is the last sentence of the report...there are mild to moderate stenoses scattered throughout the remainder of the cervical spine...nice huh? calling one of 4 neuros tomorrow..did any of you get a second opinion? or just went with what the first DR recommended?

I also was dx'd with Stenosis. I was going to get a second opinion. But my pt kind of agreeded to.
    I almost went to a nearby city to get another appt then I said screw it, and booked the surgery.
    I was told I had the best dr and after the pain got worse I was like do it!

I would also consider another MRI because sometimes they do change either way.

MyDoc is Dr Daniel Riew....he's one of the best in the nation.

I feel a good dr is huge in this! What's the opinion Neurosurgeon or bone dr?

I feel a good dr is huge in this! What's the opinion Neurosurgeon or bone dr?
    Dr Riew's Profile Page

K. Daniel Riew, MD

Current Position
    Mildred B. Simon Distinguished Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
    Chief, Cervical Spine Surgery
    Washington University Orthopedics
    Professor, Neurological Surgery

Specialty Areas
    Cervical Spine Surgery
    Spine Surgery - Orthopedic

I want a man's dr. Ok this might sound not p c but tough ****.guys get with a dr and staff that understands what we do,
    I met with one if my dr p a today. She sucked ****. She's a typical chubby 30 something chick. She knew nothing of my needs. Joe the dude pa is great,wish I had him.
    She was like your c4 c3c7 are all bad. You need to stop lifting and be careful.
    And my buddy who was there to help hear for me was like ok no chest ever for you And bla bla
    So I'm wilting away cashe I'm ten days out from surgery
    This bitch gave me a 25 lb max
    No chest exercise
    Horrid
    So I said fine I want pt ASAP
    And she was like oh your so motivated
    F u
    I figured the p t is a dude and will get me working out again!

jaseykat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well guys I was hoping to get some better tips here, but not so much! I have a pinched C7 weakness in triceps, lat, and chest on the left side. It sucks and I am getting muscle atrophy quickly. It was diagnosed about 3-4 months ago. I have yet to decide if I am wanting to do surgery as it is not 100% debilitating but I have 1/3 strength, and spasms. Chiropractor is working, pain cut in half but strength still not there.

What is working for me so far: Light weight, tons of reps, sometimes with no weight. I am not plugging an add here but my biggest help by far is an electrical muscle conditioner I purchased from Costco online, I would post the link but I haven't posted enough "to deserve" that right. Get the "Slender Tone Revive Muscle Conditioner" one because you can buy replacement pads fairly cheaply too. I just looked and now you can get it on Amazon cheaper than Costco. The thing works well and really contracts the muscle when you can't! The only drawback is don't put it on your chest for obvious reasons, you don't want your heart contracting specially on the left side. I use it on my delts and triceps, biceps with good results and I do all the programs every 2 days.

If you get any other tips about working Chest let me know, my left chest looks like my grandmothers tit and the neurologists don't seem to know a thing about working out the muscle, I figured this one out myself.

Peace to you brothers and sisters. I hope this helps.
    -jasey

We'll guys it's been a while so after seeing 2 nuerosurgeons and changing general doctors, I ended up with stenosis , spurs, and herniated discs throughout my whole cervical spine. I found a really talented surgeon who decided to do a 2 level ACDF c6-7/C7-T-1, and then flip me over and do a posterior fusion from C3-T-1, where he takes out the lamina bone (top part of the vertebrae ) and then puts 2 rods and screws to hold it together until it fuses holy hell!! I had it done nov 11th the surgery was 7 hrs and took so long because I had so much muscle on my traps great huh? i am still home recovering. The ACDF wasn't bad at all but the posterior was a whole different animal. 2 1/2 days in the hospital but I'm doing pretty good. I'm walking 3 miles a day on my treadmill. I see my surgeon next Tuesday for my 1 month follow up and I hope to go back to work very soon. as far as lifting I don't know I have a 5 lb weight restriction and I'm sure I won't be lifting any weights for at least 2 more months. I want to fully heal since I have all this hardware in my neck now it's been quite the journey! More later as I progress...... Rob

Location: London, Woodford Green, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    smeagol2002 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I know this is a late reply to this thread but this is exactly what has just happened to me. It started with pins and needled on my right hand , on and off, for a few weeks but now my fingers are numb all the time. My doctor thus weekend prescribed me pain killers and suspected shingles as my right arm and shoulder are in total agony. The descriptions from other in this forum are the same for me. I know remember a month ago going for a huge bench press and, for the first time ever in the gym, my right are just didn't respond or move when I tried to push up the bar. Really weird but thought nothing if it. Now my tricep is burning like hell and it's hard to drive and even sleep. I am off to the osteopath and it us 99% sure a c7 trapped nerve. It can't be shingles as I had chicken pox as a kid. It's annoying as I don't do rest - am from the rest is rust school and I just wanna work out all the time . I guess I will have to bide my time and not use my arms for any exercises - doctor advice. If anybody else gas these symptoms then you can rest assured that it's a trapped nerve thing but it can easily be sorted in 4-6 weeks. Just make sure you get plenty of pain killers and a firm bed to sleep on....

prometh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I keep pinching my T6 spinal nerve when doing dumbbell/barbell curls. The pain shoots right through to my chest like a knife and it's very annoying. I'm going to try cracking (re-aligning) my back as part of my warmup and see if that prevents it.

TMAA1989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Resurrecting an old thread here. 24 year old UK guy. I had got myself into respectable shape. 242 lbs and fairly lean. Deadlifting 400 lbs for reps, squat 308 for reps and bench 286 for reps. Training going well, increasing the weights very quickly then BAM I get a neck injury shrugging. Neck really sore and couldn't really support my head for a couple of days, limited range of motion. I've had this before so I took a week off and usually it just heals. Went back into the gym and everything is normal, although I felt an electric shocking sensation from my lower back/trap area left side down my left arm to my fingers when benching/squatting. Doesn't hurt that much and strength is still there so I just ignore it. Train for a further week or so with same symptoms, strength stays the same but I'm going out a lot/not eating well. I fly out to Australia and go to a new gym here. Load up my usual warm up weights on the bench press and think they seem a bit heavy but I could still do them. Then I put 250 on the bar aiming to do around 10 reps because I've travelled a long way and don't want to overdo it with jetlag etc. The bar comes down and nearly crushes me, two personal trainers have to lift it off, extremely embarrassing. Confused I then try a lower weight and can barely do that either. My arms are basically like jelly. It's like the first time you ever bench when there is no stabilisation. I then try 60 lbs dumbbells and both arms give out after about 3 reps, something is seriously wrong because normally I can do double that weight with little problem. Starting to look a bit ridiculous, 242 lbs guy with the strength of a 15 year old. Try a bicep workout and everything is fine. No loss of strength at all. I leave the gym and have numbness and tingling in my left index finger and left ring finger tips. Visit a GP who tells me that I'm anxious and tired from travelling, hard to argue with a Dr but I know that is not the case. He does grant me a CT scan which shows nothing. I then ask for an MRI and to see a neurologist. Luckily some of the best neurologists reside in Sydney. MRI shows possible nerve compression at C7 area. Basically the nerve that supplies the tricep has been compressed by the neck injury, making pressing motions impossible. The neurologist says that my left tricep is really weak (couldn't resist a basic strength test), I know the right tricep is also week just not as bad. I don't know about my shoulders because I don't want to exacerbate the injury doing overhead motions. It's been two weeks since the incident and I haven't returned to the gym. The neurologist is looking at the MRI scans now to give an independent report from the MRI technician. It's a lengthy layoff, at least 8 weeks - 3 months before surgery is considered. On the plus side he said that he is confident I will get my arm strength back or they will (i.e. surgery for a full recovery). I plan to go back into the gym in a couple of weeks to do leg press machine (never used it before) and perhaps light bicep curls. I haven't had much muscle wasting which may show the nerve wasn't too badly damaged. But my arms are down from 18" to 16.5" which is depressing but at least I can fit into some old t-shirts. I hope this helps anyone in a similar situation. If you experience the same symptoms see a decent neurologist ASAP as appointments are really difficult to get in most places and with nerve damage time is paramount. I'll keep people updated on recovery.

JimboRice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hows everyone doing?
    I’m needing a ACDF this month.
    Any strength updates?