stormcantu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stormcantu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stormcantu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stormcantu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stormcantu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stormcantu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Personal training a woman/women

So i've written other workout schedules and meal plans for men and many friends in the past, but now a female friend of mine, as well as her friend, need a plan to lose weight and the other gain some tone. Now do i approach this as i would the males workout plan? Or something way different? Sorry for the newb question, just want to be careful how i approach this and work them.

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    If you think that men and women need to be trained differently, rather than in accordance with their capabilities and goals, you should be training neither men nor women.

kristinpete38 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kristinpete38 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kristinpete38 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kristinpete38 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kristinpete38 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kristinpete38 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kristinpete38 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kristinpete38 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kristinpete38 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kristinpete38 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kristinpete38 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Ha wow. Well we like training our hip abductors. And glutes. But make sure we don't use any of the weight equipment. That's scary; I don't want a big neck. No, keep our workouts around the elliptical please. Would you suggest the SlimFast diet? 1200 calories sounds horrendous, so I'm going for 500. Just shut up and make me skinny! I want to be like Lindsay Lohan!

sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by KyleAaron View Post
    If you think that men and women need to be trained differently, rather than in accordance with their capabilities and goals, you should be training neither men nor women.
    Agreed.

Unless she is pregnant or has had breast augmentation, then there is no difference.

Mark Rippetoe says: "Let's get this straight: women are not a special population. They are half the population".

Murdok1741 is a name known to all. (+5000) Murdok1741 is a name known to all. (+5000) Murdok1741 is a name known to all. (+5000) Murdok1741 is a name known to all. (+5000) Murdok1741 is a name known to all. (+5000) Murdok1741 is a name known to all. (+5000) Murdok1741 is a name known to all. (+5000) Murdok1741 is a name known to all. (+5000) Murdok1741 is a name known to all. (+5000) Murdok1741 is a name known to all. (+5000) Murdok1741 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Cool condescending responses.

OP, you wouldn't train women any different than you would a man. Like Kyle said, it depends on what their abilities and goals are.
    OG 2004 Join Date

Max Lifts @ 190 lbs:
    - Benchpress - 235 lbs
    - Deadlift - 440 lbs
    - Squat - 365 lbs

Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Totally depends on their goal.

Training someone to improve their performance and function of their body, is going to require somewhat of a different approach than someone who wants to train purely for aesthetics for example.

You didn't say in your post if you're a trainer or not? You should know what equals weight loss from a caloric standpoint...
    advertising/self-promotion not permitted

stormcantu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stormcantu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stormcantu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stormcantu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stormcantu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stormcantu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    no see i said a newb question, currently in school for it so i understand the harsh comments. But a couple of you guys did. No these girls are not looking to go for the aesthetic athlete look. They want a routine to slim down and combine with their caloric numbers.

So my apologies for a misleading question..

sliming up cellulite areas and such. Do i approach this in a way as to obtain cardio with very little weights (lunges, etc) or for those areas are ellipticals purely enough if combined with the diet.

and once again i'm only on my second semester...mind you i did already refer them to an actual license trainer, but i thought i'd check here for some insight. Once again, sorry for the newb question; still in school here. :/

kristinpete38 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kristinpete38 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kristinpete38 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kristinpete38 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kristinpete38 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kristinpete38 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kristinpete38 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kristinpete38 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kristinpete38 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kristinpete38 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kristinpete38 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Sorry, I was being "funny"...

The same goes for women as for men. Fat loss depends on energy expenditure. Don't think cardio. You could lose weight w/ strength training and diet alone. Though, yes, I would include cardio for all weight loss clients.

Don't study all the Cosmopolitan magazine workout myths "to losing cellulite and love handles". Hardly any of it is true. Don't learn it to teach those lies to women.

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    Next you'll be saying the Cosmo sex tips are a bad idea, ridiculous.

sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by stormcantu View Post
    no see i said a newb question, currently in school for it so i understand the harsh comments. But a couple of you guys did. No these girls are not looking to go for the aesthetic athlete look. They want a routine to slim down and combine with their caloric numbers.

So my apologies for a misleading question..

sliming up cellulite areas and such. Do i approach this in a way as to obtain cardio with very little weights (lunges, etc) or for those areas are ellipticals purely enough if combined with the diet.

and once again i'm only on my second semester...mind you i did already refer them to an actual license trainer, but i thought i'd check here for some insight. Once again, sorry for the newb question; still in school here. :/
    You need to remember that we gain muscle at a much slower rate then men. Few women get the desired "toned" look because they work out for "tone" (ie. elliptical - simple bodyweight movements - no more than 5-10lbs DB's). Those women go into the female forum here over and over and over, sometimes for years, complaining of no progress. Not kidding- feel free to browse the section and see.

The truth is, to even just look "in shape" (and I'm not talking anything athletic here), it takes us months, if not years, of a calorie deficit and lifting hard + heavy. *Especially* when the female is already in the calorie deficit. Those "athletic" looking girls tend to have 5, 10+ years of lifting behind them with spot-on diet. Anything more (ie. "ripped + big") you are looking at 10,15+ years and enhancements.

Google "Marissa Miller" -> this is a goal look for most average woman. She does a lot of heavy squatting and is a model. If models who don't look 'athletic' need to do heavy squats then the average girl sure does too. They will probably enjoy things like kettlebells, TRX, etc. You don't have to push 5x5 Stronglifts but make sure whatever you use is still effective. Just an elliptical or a few lunges isn't going to do anything.

Ok thank you guys very much for the info. I appreciate the advice and knowledge! and once again apologize for my lack there of.