7usabball will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7usabball will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7usabball will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7usabball will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7usabball will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7usabball will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7usabball will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7usabball will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7usabball will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7usabball will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7usabball will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Nutrition Section Help (thoughts?)

Ok, so I'm doing Starting Strength. I follow iifym (inb4 hate).

Now since I'm quite new to lifting, I've been told I can be at a calorie deficit and still gain muscle. (which I'm sure is true) (told this because of stats at bottom)

Now what I typically do is eat stuff that fits well into what I need for macros, and have typically 3/4+ gallon of fat free milk. (great carb-protein ratio imo) (an example of a meal would include chicken fries with the milk, probably getting 5 servings of milk in with 2 servings of chicken fries. so probably like ~100g carbs, ~70g protein, ~28g fat) I also get in maybe 2 meals a day, sometimes 3.

Now what I haven't been doing is counting calories. I'm not sure whether I'm cutting weight now, maintaining, or bulking each day. Is that a bad thing? Should I actually start counting calories? If so should I do a calorie deficit, maintain, or bulk? (I always wonder this)

I'm 155lbs @ 16% bf

tden99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tden99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tden99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tden99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tden99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tden99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tden99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tden99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tden99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tden99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tden99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    well if you are hitting macros your calories should fall in place.

The easiest way however, is to make sure you get protein and fats and then have a calorie goal. That way you don't try and hit some carb macro.

Myfitnesspal is great for tracking calories and macros.

NanaFrana is on a distinguished road. (+10) NanaFrana is on a distinguished road. (+10) NanaFrana is on a distinguished road. (+10) NanaFrana is on a distinguished road. (+10) NanaFrana is on a distinguished road. (+10) NanaFrana is on a distinguished road. (+10) NanaFrana is on a distinguished road. (+10) NanaFrana is on a distinguished road. (+10) NanaFrana is on a distinguished road. (+10) NanaFrana is on a distinguished road. (+10) NanaFrana is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I think counting calories is important, it's pretty easy to end up way off from what you're thinking you had if you don't total it up.

PowerChica is on a distinguished road. (+10) PowerChica is on a distinguished road. (+10) PowerChica is on a distinguished road. (+10) PowerChica is on a distinguished road. (+10) PowerChica is on a distinguished road. (+10) PowerChica is on a distinguished road. (+10) PowerChica is on a distinguished road. (+10) PowerChica is on a distinguished road. (+10) PowerChica is on a distinguished road. (+10) PowerChica is on a distinguished road. (+10) PowerChica is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    you might have enough body fat to be able to cut while gaining muscle but its not gonna be easy. a lot of people aim for that but it doesnt end up working out. might be easier to cut then bulk....

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by 7usabball View Post
    Ok, so I'm doing Starting Strength. I follow iifym (inb4 hate).

Now since I'm quite new to lifting, I've been told I can be at a calorie deficit and still gain muscle. (which I'm sure is true) (told this because of stats at bottom)

Now what I typically do is eat stuff that fits well into what I need for macros, and have typically 3/4+ gallon of fat free milk. (great carb-protein ratio imo) (an example of a meal would include chicken fries with the milk, probably getting 5 servings of milk in with 2 servings of chicken fries. so probably like ~100g carbs, ~70g protein, ~28g fat) I also get in maybe 2 meals a day, sometimes 3.

Now what I haven't been doing is counting calories. I'm not sure whether I'm cutting weight now, maintaining, or bulking each day. Is that a bad thing? Should I actually start counting calories? If so should I do a calorie deficit, maintain, or bulk? (I always wonder this)

I'm 155lbs @ 16% bf
    what?? The top 2 contradict the bottom
    Yes... I've started a log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159357321

7usabball will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7usabball will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7usabball will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7usabball will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7usabball will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7usabball will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7usabball will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7usabball will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7usabball will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7usabball will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7usabball will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by AlwaysTryin View Post
    what?? The top 2 contradict the bottom
    By this I mean I'm eating foods that would account for making macros whether it's cutting or bulking.

ex/ a meal being this:

~100g carbs, ~70g protein, ~28g fat

but then maybe little to no fat later, so then more carbs and protein

It would be in the range where macros would be, the question is what type of thing would it be, cutting, maintaining, or bulking?

I figured it's dumb, but wanted to get an opinion, mainly on if I should be cutting or bulking because I'm still bothered by which one I should do. Being at 16-17% bf isn't good.

rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    With that much milk alone you are getting 3x the amount of calcium you need in a day.

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by 7usabball View Post
    By this I mean I'm eating foods that would account for making macros whether it's cutting or bulking.

ex/ a meal being this:

~100g carbs, ~70g protein, ~28g fat

but then maybe little to no fat later, so then more carbs and protein

It would be in the range where macros would be, the question is what type of thing would it be, cutting, maintaining, or bulking?

I figured it's dumb, but wanted to get an opinion, mainly on if I should be cutting or bulking because I'm still bothered by which one I should do. Being at 16-17% bf isn't good.
    little to no fat later? Please tell me you're not aiming for ~35g a day or something
    Yes... I've started a log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159357321

Originally Posted by AlwaysTryin View Post
    little to no fat later? Please tell me you're not aiming for ~35g a day or something
    Worded badly. I understand fat is good/ needed. I'm just trying to say I'm not getting in like 100g+ of fat in a day. It's probably between 50g-80g.

I'm still just curious if I should be bulking (maybe with only a 300 calorie surplus instead of 500?), maintaining, or cutting slowly?

Like I saw above, cutting is harder to do while gaining muscle, so bulking seems like the best option which I've been doing. But how much of a surplus then?