melendfi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How critical is to reach KETOSIS for fat loss?

I previously asked this question on the wrong forum.

Is it imperative to reach a state of Ketosis? Or can you still use fat as fuel without Ketosis? I ask because I have reduced my % of body fat but my Ketostix dont show any indication of reaching a state of Ketosis.

Thanks!
    --Goal 187# @ 10-12% Body Fat by May 2018

Progress:
    Jan 2018: 197# 21.0 % Body Fat
    Feb 2018: 189# 17.5 % Body Fat
    Mar 2018:
    Apr 2018:
    May 2018:

Leveraging UD2 methodology to achieve gaols.

Woodyy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Woodyy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Woodyy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Woodyy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Woodyy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Woodyy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Woodyy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Woodyy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Woodyy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Woodyy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Woodyy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I honestly don't think it's imperative whatsoever, I've only been on keto for a week and a bit and I've encountered none of the supposed keto "side-effects"..

I'm not even sure why I'm not in ketosis, my diet literally consists of: chicken, cabbage, cheddar cheese, tuna, egg, bacon and whey protein isolate.

But yeah, as long as the results keep coming I couldn't care less whether I was in ketosis or not.
    • Self Development crew.
    • Positive crew.

THFC

Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Its the caloric deficit that burns fat. Its not imperative at all to reach ketosis.

However, if you are following the diet, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't reach ketosis. Even if it's undetectable on ketostix, you might still be in ketosis.
    www.squidoo.com/keto-diet

Was 300+ lbs.
    Logs
    90 day XAT-7 and Cardio Igniter forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146779723
    TEST-PEAK http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149177173
    2013 BB.com challenge log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150876933

Sugar Alcohols...Explained http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151110953

Metabolic advantage of keto diet: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153834101

Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by melendfi View Post

Not at all. Ketosis is a side effect and showing on the ketostix means you are over-producing ketones that you are expelling into your urine as waste. Don't worry about what they show.
    "Arterial plaque is primarily composed of unsaturated fats particularly polyunsaturated ones." (Felton, C V, et al, Lancet, 1994, 344:1195)

How to bulk: http://70sbig.com/food/

Diet = http://i52.tinypic.com/21bhop.png
    ...or something like this daily. Problem? ;)

FFMI = 24

IFBB Amateur, M. Physique ArchangelEST's Avatar
    ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    About as important as wearing a green shirt is to improving fat loss.
    Owner of:

www.Aspartame-Research.com
    www.MayfieldFitness.net

Author of:

Flexible Dieting Handbook: How To Lose Weight by Eating What You Want - an Amazon Bestseller

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn. "

― Alvin Toffler

Minabud is on a distinguished road. (+10) Minabud is on a distinguished road. (+10) Minabud is on a distinguished road. (+10) Minabud is on a distinguished road. (+10) Minabud is on a distinguished road. (+10) Minabud is on a distinguished road. (+10) Minabud is on a distinguished road. (+10) Minabud is on a distinguished road. (+10) Minabud is on a distinguished road. (+10) Minabud is on a distinguished road. (+10) Minabud is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ArchangelEST View Post
    About as important as wearing a green shirt is to improving fat loss.
    Not trying to start an argument here, rather I am trying to understand better.

But being in Ketosis means your body is using the fat stores for energy, so in a way being in Ketosis is important?

I understand that getting a positive reading on ketostix isn't always possible, but there are other ways to indicate that your are in Ketosis (like breath, keto flu symptoms... etc)

But please correct me if I am wrong.

ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Minabud View Post
    Not trying to start an argument here, rather I am trying to understand better.

But being in Ketosis means your body is using the fat stores for energy, so in a way being in Ketosis is important?

I understand that getting a positive reading on ketostix isn't always possible, but there are other ways to indicate that your are in Ketosis (like breath, keto flu symptoms... etc)

But please correct me if I am wrong.
    Being in ketosis has symptoms yes.

But there is no magical power of fat burning present. Yes, you will burn more fat per say - but if you remove the majority of carbs from your menu, that means your fat intake will also increase. So you burn more fat, yes, but you'll also be eating more fat in. If you massively up your protein instead, your body will burn protein for energy too and thus, less fat.

In the end, the net result is just about the same.

You can "trick" your body into using different sources for energy, but if at the end of the day you still ingest and expend just as much energy, your fat stores will not really change one way or the other.

Considering keto diets have their fair share of negative side-effects, one shouldn't really force themselves to stay in Ketosis, unless it comes naturally and they feel great on it - and know what steps need to be taken to ensure good health long term.
    Owner of:

www.MayfieldFitness.net

Author of:

Flexible Dieting Handbook: How To Lose Weight by Eating What You Want - an Amazon Bestseller

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn. "

― Alvin Toffler

melendfi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I previously asked this question on the wrong forum.

Is it imperative to reach a state of Ketosis? Or can you still use fat as fuel without Ketosis? I ask because I have reduced my % of body fat but my Ketostix dont show any indication of reaching a state of Ketosis.

Thanks!
    Thank you every for the support! I was a bit concern that I'd be spinning my wheels and wasting my time.

Regards!!
    --Goal 187# @ 10-12% Body Fat by May 2018

Progress:
    Jan 2018: 197# 21.0 % Body Fat
    Feb 2018: 189# 17.5 % Body Fat
    Mar 2018:
    Apr 2018:
    May 2018:

Leveraging UD2 methodology to achieve gaols.

spanishricer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spanishricer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spanishricer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spanishricer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spanishricer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spanishricer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spanishricer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spanishricer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spanishricer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spanishricer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spanishricer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I thought the major proponent of being in ketosis is that you can burn fat more efficiently, while having largely muscle sparing effects?

Originally Posted by spanishricer View Post
    I thought the major proponent of being in ketosis is that you can burn fat more efficiently, while having largely muscle sparing effects?
    Yeah. That's mostly just a marketing bubble. Or whatever reasons there exist for keeping this myth perpetuated.

Keto diets can be effective for some due to the unique circumstances they provide. Diabetics often do well on reduced carb intakes. And some people just naturally feel energized on Keto diets.
    If you are one of those people who feels good on Keto, sure why not use it.

But too many people think it somehow magically burns more fat. Which is false.(Well, technically fat burn is improved, but so is fat gain - so it just evens out, lol)
    It just helps you to shed a ton of water and glycogen from your system, making you lean out considerably and lose a lot of weight initially.

All common forms of measurement will tell you that you have lost "fat". While in reality it's just some water mostly. But the illusion has been created and people get motivated beyond reason to continue, even though after that initial spike, progress is like usual and dictated by caloric intake.

When they finally go off Keto, they usually put all that water and glycogen weight back on, get all puffy and watery, think they are getting fat again - and go running back to Keto, convinced it's the best solution.

It messes with the mind.
    Owner of:

www.MayfieldFitness.net

Author of:

― Alvin Toffler

Ransom17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ransom17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ransom17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ransom17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ransom17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ransom17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ransom17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ransom17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ransom17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ransom17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ransom17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    There's some literature out there that suggests that spending some time in ketosis every so often can have some theraputic effects on the body. It's well understood that some parts of the body run even more efficiently on ketones than glucose, but if I remember correctly in "The Ketogenic Diet" by Lyle MacDonald he states that after prolonged ketosis your ketone count goes down - your brain still needs ketones for fuel but other parts of your body will start to simply use free fatty acids for fuel.

Ketosis is probably more beneficial for your body in certain doses than it is effective explicitly for fat loss. Your body is fat adapted and I find the hunger blunting effects of ketosis to be the only added benefit of ketogenic diets over glucose based ones. Calories are simply calories in regard to fatloss.
    Above all, don't lie to yourself. The man who lies to himself and listens to his own lie comes to a point that he cannot distinguish the truth within him, or around him, and so loses all respect for himself and for others. And having no respect he ceases to love.
    - Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

jiheonsohng is on a distinguished road. (+10) jiheonsohng is on a distinguished road. (+10) jiheonsohng is on a distinguished road. (+10) jiheonsohng is on a distinguished road. (+10) jiheonsohng is on a distinguished road. (+10) jiheonsohng is on a distinguished road. (+10) jiheonsohng is on a distinguished road. (+10) jiheonsohng is on a distinguished road. (+10) jiheonsohng is on a distinguished road. (+10) jiheonsohng is on a distinguished road. (+10) jiheonsohng is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ArchangelEST View Post
    But too many people think it somehow magically burns more fat. Which is false.(Well, technically fat burn is improved, but so is fat gain - so it just evens out, lol)
    Hey, I know this is an old thread, but could you explain why this is so? So I've seen lots of proponents of Keto diet claiming that fat burn is improved since your body's main source of energy becomes your body fat. But I never seen anyone say that "fat gain" is increased on a keto diet. As far as I know, as long as you're in total caloric deficit, you won't gain additional body fat regardless of how much dietary fat you consume. Thanks in advance