Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    takeittakeit is a name known to all. (+5000) takeittakeit is a name known to all. (+5000) takeittakeit is a name known to all. (+5000) takeittakeit is a name known to all. (+5000) takeittakeit is a name known to all. (+5000) takeittakeit is a name known to all. (+5000) takeittakeit is a name known to all. (+5000) takeittakeit is a name known to all. (+5000) takeittakeit is a name known to all. (+5000) takeittakeit is a name known to all. (+5000) takeittakeit is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by John Hicks View Post
    Take into account all the injuries from benching ALONE and it'll top all weightlifting injuries put together.
    what is this I don't even

Did someone change how language works when I wasn't looking, or is this guy even worse at math than I am?

BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Filmbuff81 View Post
    All fine for someone very experienced to try it out, but why even encourage OP to think it's safe for him to try?

His technique is obviously not very good based on his few responses in this thread.
    Not really encouraging him, just putting in my .02.

Originally Posted by Jason2459 View Post
    How does it reduce ROM and activate the triceps more? I get more tricep activation by griping really hard and trying to pull the bar apart.
    The ROM will be slightly less based on where the bar sits in your palm. You can look at your hand right now taking an imaginary full grip and seeing where the bar would sit, and taking a false grip and seeing where it would sit. It's very slight, but it's definitely a difference.

As far as activating the triceps, it just makes you tuck your elbows a little more.

garox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) garox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) garox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) garox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) garox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) garox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) garox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) garox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Then going by your statistics, crossing the road is safe too, right? Millions of people each and every day do it, and yet several people each day get killed doing just that. Hey, let's go ahead and call that "safe" too!

When it comes to injury and death, there's no punchline...
    I feel safe when I cross a road.

BigLarge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigLarge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigLarge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigLarge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigLarge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigLarge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigLarge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigLarge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigLarge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigLarge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigLarge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    How this thread is 2 pages is beyond me.....
    RAW ELITE OR DIE

1603 @ 242, raw (4-16-16)

"You can be 175 pounds SHREDDED, but with a T shirt on you just look like a skinny *******" - Mark Ripptoe

not actually a goose goosefrabbas's Avatar
    goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by takeittakeit View Post
    what is this I don't even

Did someone change how language works when I wasn't looking, or is this guy even worse at math than I am?
    Maybe he means the sport weightlifting. If not, then I'm as lost as you are.
    Meet: 440/248/485 = 1173@144 sp

My powerlifting log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135067661&page=39

Legsneedwork is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Legsneedwork is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Legsneedwork is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Legsneedwork is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Legsneedwork is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Legsneedwork is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Legsneedwork is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Legsneedwork is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Legsneedwork is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Legsneedwork is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Legsneedwork is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by goosefrabbas View Post
    Maybe he means the sport weightlifting. If not, then I'm as lost as you are.
    Yes, that's what I meant by "weightlifting" myself. But apparently a sport in which you regularly throw heavy weights above your head is less dangerous than a false grip bench press.
    **TRAINING LOG**
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=166622031&p=1344442521&posted=1#post1344442521

Gym lifts/Meet lifts:

Squat: 515/530 (sleeve only)
    Bench: 455/450
    Deadlift: 640/622.75

1443@197 5/17/14 Beast of the Bluegrass
    1521.4@196.6 9/13/14 SPF Own the Day
    450 @193.5 11/8/14 Kentucky Muscle Bench Only
    1545@198 4/18 Battle of the Bluegrass (sleeve only)
    1581@198 8/23 USPA Bourbon Barrel Bash (sleeve only)

Youtube: Daniel Amon
    Instagram: THEdannyamon

coachdeez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachdeez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachdeez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachdeez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachdeez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachdeez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachdeez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachdeez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachdeez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachdeez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachdeez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Legsneedwork View Post
    Yes, that's what I meant by "weightlifting" myself. But apparently a sport in which you regularly throw heavy weights above your head is less dangerous than a false grip bench press.
    I don't know where to find accurate data on this, but I'm sure that recreational strength training has a much, much higher incidence of injury than weightlifting.
    615/385/635

takeittakeit is a name known to all. (+5000) takeittakeit is a name known to all. (+5000) takeittakeit is a name known to all. (+5000) takeittakeit is a name known to all. (+5000) takeittakeit is a name known to all. (+5000) takeittakeit is a name known to all. (+5000) takeittakeit is a name known to all. (+5000) takeittakeit is a name known to all. (+5000) takeittakeit is a name known to all. (+5000) takeittakeit is a name known to all. (+5000) takeittakeit is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by coachdeez View Post
    I don't know where to find accurate data on this, but I'm sure that recreational strength training has a much, much higher incidence of injury than weightlifting.
    ...And I suspect his argument relies on injuries from everyone who's ever benched, ever, vs. the tiny handful of people who compete in weightlifting.

Legsneedwork is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Legsneedwork is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Legsneedwork is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Legsneedwork is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Legsneedwork is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Legsneedwork is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Legsneedwork is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Legsneedwork is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Legsneedwork is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Legsneedwork is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Legsneedwork is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    So how many guys die each and every year deadlifting?

... and how many guys get killed each and every year from squatting?
    Couldn't tell you. I would imagine it's a low number close to 0, just like deaths that can be attributed to the false grip. On the other hand, you, based on absolutely nothing at all save for anecdotal reports from random internet people, have decided that people regularly die from it.

Take into account all the injuries from benching ALONE and it'll top all weightlifting injuries put together.
    An interesting (and again based on nothing) statistic, but also irrelevant since we are discussing two different grips of the bench press. All this does is weaken your already weak argument that we should avoid an activity that has an almost nonexistent injury rate, because hell, either way it's riskier than weightlifting.

Then going by your statistics, crossing the road is safe too, right? Millions of people each and every day do it, and yet several people each day get killed doing just that. Hey, let's go ahead and call that "safe" too!

When it comes to injury and death, there's no punchline...
    Well that's an interesting analogy. Because yes, crossing the road is in fact a safe activity when the proper precautions are taken. The only real risk to the alert and cautious pedestrian is some unforeseeable and unpredictable event, which, get this, is just like bench pressing with a false grip. I still can't begin to comprehend your assertion that somehow my arms would get in the way of dumping a bench in the power rack, so I guess I'll just have to assume you completely missed the irony of the quote above.
    **TRAINING LOG**
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=166622031&p=1344442521&posted=1#post1344442521

Gym lifts/Meet lifts:

Squat: 515/530 (sleeve only)
    Bench: 455/450
    Deadlift: 640/622.75

1443@197 5/17/14 Beast of the Bluegrass
    1521.4@196.6 9/13/14 SPF Own the Day
    450 @193.5 11/8/14 Kentucky Muscle Bench Only
    1545@198 4/18 Battle of the Bluegrass (sleeve only)
    1581@198 8/23 USPA Bourbon Barrel Bash (sleeve only)

Youtube: Daniel Amon
    Instagram: THEdannyamon

MS,CSCS,CF-L1,USAW,WBB HamburgerTrain's Avatar
    HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The instance of serious injury per 100 weightlifters is .003.

I see some @sshole 'tweak' his 'chest' every f*cking day.
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."

customz is on a distinguished road. (+10) customz is on a distinguished road. (+10) customz is on a distinguished road. (+10) customz is on a distinguished road. (+10) customz is on a distinguished road. (+10) customz is on a distinguished road. (+10) customz is on a distinguished road. (+10) customz is on a distinguished road. (+10) customz is on a distinguished road. (+10) customz is on a distinguished road. (+10) customz is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I've switched to false grip because of shoulder problems. I now bench close grip, false grip even in competition because I can't train any other way. It helps me tuck and get a different angle on bar, so palms areNt parallel with bar but more like 30* (palms closer to facing each other than standard grip). That rotation isn't possible with thumb around the bar?

Oh, and I still squeeze the bar...
    Best Comp Lifts
    452/354/540
    Best Total 1329@181 raw

Gym pr
    460/365/545 raw

pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    False grip always here. Been using it 17 years. No issues.

John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Red face At least someone gets it...

Ah ha, yeah that's what I'm talking about! Somebody here who finally gets it. Oh and I was referring to regular strength training, but it'll happen in weightlifting comps as well. A spotter can't stop a 600 pound bar from crushing your throat, but he can try to take it off of you with some help and then call 9-1-1.

If you bench with a false grip, sooner or later, you'll have an accident. It's not a matter of "if", it's a matter of "when". It'll happen. If it hasn't happened to you yet, then you're just bucking the odds. Why take that chance? Oh well, some people will never learn...
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Ah ha, yeah that's what I'm talking about! Somebody here who finally gets it. Oh and I was referring to regular strength training, but it'll happen in weightlifting comps as well. A spotter can't stop a 600 pound bar from crushing your throat, but he can try to take it off of you with some help and then call 9-1-1.

If you bench with a false grip, sooner or later, you'll have an accident. It's not a matter of "if", it's a matter of "when". It'll happen. If it hasn't happened to you yet, then you're just bucking the odds. Why take that chance? Oh well, some people will never learn...
    Yeah, actually a spotter can stop a 600 lb bar. I should know; I've done it. One of my teammates dumped 600+ in competition, to his face. If you're spotting properly, you'll catch the bar before you even know the guy dumped. Which is exactly what I did. Side spotters exist for a reason.

And just for the record: he was using a conventional grip.

Look, I realize you've got an axe to grind here. What you need to realize is that you're arguing with a brick wall. Nobody who uses a thumbless grip is going to be convinced to stop by your arguments, and most of us have a damn good reason for using one. You need to accept the fact that we disagree with you, and move on.

smallkiwi will become famous soon enough. (+50) smallkiwi will become famous soon enough. (+50) smallkiwi will become famous soon enough. (+50) smallkiwi will become famous soon enough. (+50) smallkiwi will become famous soon enough. (+50) smallkiwi will become famous soon enough. (+50) smallkiwi will become famous soon enough. (+50) smallkiwi will become famous soon enough. (+50) smallkiwi will become famous soon enough. (+50) smallkiwi will become famous soon enough. (+50) smallkiwi will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    there is a supertraining vid somewhere on youtube when mike T trained there with mark bell. Mike T uses a grip setup that blows most peoples minds. There are always multiple ways to do it, all have risks so just grip it however you want..
    Not all of the lions that chase the zebra catch it. But all that caught it, chased it.

untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000)
    To me there is a diffirence between a serious lifter using false grip, who knows what he is doing vs some retard who doesnt and jerks the bar out of the rack and doesnt grip is properly and lets the bar roll around in his hand trying to bench 200% his max. Like what was said above, some guys use false grip cuz they are forced to, or cuz they bench more. A serious powerlifter with experience and a high bench has a higher chance or tearing a muscle than or failing and dumping a BP than he has of the bar rolling out of his hand imo.
    Athletics > Aesthetics
    I guess its time to start training again.
    - No longer in a long term relationship crew because sloots gun sloot.
    - Finishing a degree at age 30 crew

John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Unhappy I admit defeat

Originally Posted by takeittakeit View Post
    Look, I realize you've got an axe to grind here.
    Really? How so?

What you need to realize is that you're arguing with a brick wall.
    Obviously.

Nobody who uses a thumbless grip is going to be convinced to stop by your arguments, and most of us have a damn good reason for using one.
    So what I'm doing is basically pointless...

You need to accept the fact that we disagree with you, and move on.
    I agree, I'm beating my head against a brick wall on this one. Or at least arguing with one.

Oh well, some people will never learn...
    I give up.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I give up.
    There's no shame in that. Walk away proud. But please, do walk away.

Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by smallkiwi View Post
    there is a supertraining vid somewhere on youtube when mike T trained there with mark bell. Mike T uses a grip setup that blows most peoples minds. There are always multiple ways to do it, all have risks so just grip it however you want..
    http://youtu.be/4dctyCxwylo
    My Training Journal: http://tinyurl.com/jasons-journal
    My Video Training Journal: www.youtube.com/user/jason24590
    08/17:245,185,275 02/18:345,275,380
    06/18:405;315,455
    goal: hit previous SBD #s again 524,364,562
    current meet PRs: ---/---/--- ---

What NorthStrong's sig. says

supermaz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supermaz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supermaz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supermaz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supermaz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supermaz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supermaz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supermaz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supermaz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supermaz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supermaz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I have used a false grip for about 12 years now. the thing i like about it is that it keeps your wrist in the same spot and it cant really move. when i use a full grip i get play in my wrists. never had an incident with anything. ive done over 400 with a false. I dont use a shirt. i think that maybe if you are in a shirt it may twist your shoulders over so you cant really do a false. but i have really liked it and feel i can square up and get to it.

supermaz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supermaz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supermaz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supermaz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supermaz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supermaz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supermaz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supermaz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supermaz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supermaz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supermaz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by smallkiwi View Post

yeah this is actually what i do. its not bad. you just gotta get used to it. i just get a different feel through my rep rage and it feels more stable to push from.

neilmorgan77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) neilmorgan77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) neilmorgan77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) neilmorgan77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) neilmorgan77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) neilmorgan77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) neilmorgan77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) neilmorgan77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) neilmorgan77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) neilmorgan77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) neilmorgan77 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Jason2459 View Post
    This is very similar to my grip. I lay the bar across the base of the thumb diagonally. It puts much less pressure on the wrist, but you have to ignore people who say to squeeze the bar hard. You can only squeeze with your first and maybe second fingers; the other fingers are too far away to do anything other than just apply finger tip pressure. It doesn't affect elbow tuck for me, because I can still rotate my elbows towards my feet whilst maintaining this grip.
    No longer powerlifting. Lifting history:

Competition PR - 210kg/167.5kg/235kg (612.5kg total)
    All-time gym PR - 222.5kg/182.5kg/250kg
    Recent gym 1RM - 210kg/175kg/250kg
    (All lifts are raw - wrist/knee wraps and belt)