keithkjw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Hurt Shoulder and need to maintain muscle- how?

So, I was away on vacation. Couldn't work out for 2 weeks. Finally did at a hotel and hurt my shoulder benching. Rested for another week. Tried working out today and although it is much improved (ibuprofin and ice- as directed by doc) it still hurts and I can tell if i push it, it's going to get really messed up again.

Doc said I could do light weight, more reps if necessary.

So, I can't really push my heaviest on chest, bi's, back, shoulders...

How can i stop my body from losing muscle mass. I think it'll be at least another week or 2 before I can really start pushing it again.

Thanks!

mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    My opinion...

Take care of your shoulder by taking time off from the offending exercises (those that cause pain) and whatever you're directed to do to minimize your healing time

Perform other lifts that don't cause discomfort insofar as it is consistent with the Dr's orders

Eat well in the interim to minimize your body's desire to shed useless tissue (muscle)

Identify the likely cause of your injury and plan to adjust your workout/form if necessary to minimize the probability of it happening again

Return carefully to avoid having to start over at step 1
    2 + 2 = 5 (for extremely large values of 2)

Try SCE to AUX

What should I be eating? I want to stay ripped while maintaining muscle. Mostly protein and minimal carbs?

Keep up with cardio?

yeah. I'll need to adjust workout. I've been doing 8-12 on benches forever and not gaining, so for the past month or so I've been doing 3-5 and felt like I was just starting to make some more gains.

hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You can't have it all, especially when you are injured.

Follow your Dr's advice. Take the time to heal.

I have a shoulder injury, radical nerve. I stopped lifting while doing PT. Plenty of time to make up for what I am losing now.

So any advice on diet and cardio in the meantime?

scottyisback44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I tried to work through shoulder pain. Ended up with a torn labrum. August will be one year out of the lifting game. Listen to your dr and your body. Dont try to be a hero. If i had listened i wouldn't have lost everything. You have a chance to only lose a small amount of size by taking a little bit of time off. Good luck.

jrctherake is not very helpful. (-500) jrctherake is not very helpful. (-500) jrctherake is not very helpful. (-500) jrctherake is not very helpful. (-500) jrctherake is not very helpful. (-500) jrctherake is not very helpful. (-500) jrctherake is not very helpful. (-500) jrctherake is not very helpful. (-500) jrctherake is not very helpful. (-500) jrctherake is not very helpful. (-500) jrctherake is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by keithkjw View Post
    So, I was away on vacation. Couldn't work out for 2 weeks. Finally did at a hotel and hurt my shoulder benching. Rested for another week. Tried working out today and although it is much improved (ibuprofin and ice- as directed by doc) it still hurts and I can tell if i push it, it's going to get really messed up again.

How can i stop my body from losing muscle mass. I think it'll be at least another week or 2 before I can really start pushing it again.

Thanks!
    I've not trained in almost three months and I'm holding on to my lbm just fine so I highly doubt you will lose significant mass in just a short period.

nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Shoulders are sensitive. You just have to let it heal completely or you will keep injuring it. Once you are healed you need to start addressing the reasons why you injured it in the first place. Most people tend do have a forward imbalance of the muscles that hold the shoulder in place. See a physio if you can.

Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    There is value in each of the above comments. There is however, an alternate approach, and as the resident “Alternator”, I’ll explain. This not only has worked for me 3 times in the last 8 or 9 years but is working, very well in fact, for me again at this very moment. Almost 3 weeks ago, I suffered what I believe to be a rotator cuff tear. Having had 3 similar ones before this was the same as them but with even greater pain and limitation of movement, range of use etc. As before I turned to my two prime natural relief sources 1. megadoses of Omega 3s ie. 6.3 gms. daily, and 2. Super Cissus RX 3 caps, 3X daily before meals. This scales down over months 2 and 3 to again become 2 caps daily. For me this has been a godsend. I first took a few days off completely to give the Cissus time to start working. I then started back just doing leg work, without Squats, and aerobics on the alternate days. Last week I added light lifting every 4th day by doing cable tri pushdowns, cable curls and some Rack Deads. By today, again on a 2 split/every other day approach, I could handle 80 lb pushdowns (set of 12), 60 lb Z-bar curls (set of 8) and 400 lbs on Rack Deads (set of 5). My range of motion and painreaction under stress are greatly improved. I seriously hope to be back benching again within a month. At least I have avoided any allopathic drugs, any surgery (which they are very quick to lay on we old retirees here) and am keeping pumped and fit. As a result of my progress, my mental approach has been jacked up and the resulting commitment has helped me stay on diet, nutrition, supps etc as if I were in a full blown workout program. Staying “up” is important along with making progress. Good luck if you decide to give it a go!
    Dutch

For four generations my family has answered the call and served as needed from Europe to Asia to 9/11. We will gladly stand and fight again to preserve our freedom from tyranny.

I like your thinking Dutchman. I am only 40 though. And it's a little risky, probably. I do admire your drive though.

Being that I'm only 40, weighing risk/benefit, it may be more wise for me to miss 3 weeks than chance missing 3 years,

I think I'll take it slow and do light weights until I feel I can push it some more without straining it again.

Thanks everyone!

nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I have a bit of history with bad shoulders. I've been doing high rep training only for the last couple months and I can tell you that my shoulders (and the rest of my joints) have never felt better.

Originally Posted by nixter View Post
    I have a bit of history with bad shoulders. I've been doing high rep training only for the last couple months and I can tell you that my shoulders (and the rest of my joints) have never felt better.
    Are you still able to stay pretty toned? Are you still as strong as when you were doing lower reps/heavier weight?

southparkbbb is just really nice. (+1000) southparkbbb is just really nice. (+1000) southparkbbb is just really nice. (+1000) southparkbbb is just really nice. (+1000) southparkbbb is just really nice. (+1000) southparkbbb is just really nice. (+1000) southparkbbb is just really nice. (+1000) southparkbbb is just really nice. (+1000) southparkbbb is just really nice. (+1000) southparkbbb is just really nice. (+1000) southparkbbb is just really nice. (+1000)
    sounds like a rotator cuff injury, work on doing some rotator cuff stretching, give it 1-2 weeks of rest, and perform the same rotator cuff strecthes prior to lifting and itll help a ton

Are you still able to stay pretty toned? Are you still as strong as when you were doing lower reps/heavier weight?
    Toned is just bodyfat. I was able to keep all my muscle and perhaps even add a little bit. I did feel that towards the end of the program that my maximal strength may have suffered, however that could also have just been due to a more strict diet. Personally I don't think you'd lose any mass by doing high reps. I didn't.

Cool. I'll go back to the high reps thing after taking a break for another week and doing some rotator cuff stretching.

Thanks again!!

soccerdad5 is a name known to all. (+5000) soccerdad5 is a name known to all. (+5000) soccerdad5 is a name known to all. (+5000) soccerdad5 is a name known to all. (+5000) soccerdad5 is a name known to all. (+5000) soccerdad5 is a name known to all. (+5000) soccerdad5 is a name known to all. (+5000) soccerdad5 is a name known to all. (+5000) soccerdad5 is a name known to all. (+5000) soccerdad5 is a name known to all. (+5000) soccerdad5 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    There is value in each of the above comments. There is however, an alternate approach, and as the resident “Alternator”, I’ll explain. This not only has worked for me 3 times in the last 8 or 9 years but is working, very well in fact, for me again at this very moment. Almost 3 weeks ago, I suffered what I believe to be a rotator cuff tear. Having had 3 similar ones before this was the same as them but with even greater pain and limitation of movement, range of use etc. As before I turned to my two prime natural relief sources 1. megadoses of Omega 3s ie. 6.3 gms. daily, and 2. Super Cissus RX 3 caps, 3X daily before meals. This scales down over months 2 and 3 to again become 2 caps daily. For me this has been a godsend. I first took a few days off completely to give the Cissus time to start working. I then started back just doing leg work, without Squats, and aerobics on the alternate days. Last week I added light lifting every 4th day by doing cable tri pushdowns, cable curls and some Rack Deads. By today, again on a 2 split/every other day approach, I could handle 80 lb pushdowns (set of 12), 60 lb Z-bar curls (set of 8) and 400 lbs on Rack Deads (set of 5). My range of motion and painreaction under stress are greatly improved. I seriously hope to be back benching again within a month. At least I have avoided any allopathic drugs, any surgery (which they are very quick to lay on we old retirees here) and am keeping pumped and fit. As a result of my progress, my mental approach has been jacked up and the resulting commitment has helped me stay on diet, nutrition, supps etc as if I were in a full blown workout program. Staying “up” is important along with making progress. Good luck if you decide to give it a go!
    I will definitely try this. I have been going 12 weeks straight. Injured my shoulder week 7 (I believe) but am trying to work through it. It is not working. I will take off the upcoming week but try this one. I will let you know how it works.

Can you tell me about Super Cissus actually does? I have been out of the game so long, I have never heard of it. Thanks.
    Last edited by soccerdad5; 06-29-2012 at 06:37 PM.
    Bodybuilding Is The Closest Thing We Have To The Fountain Of Youth. Lee Labrada

jj341 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jj341 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jj341 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jj341 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jj341 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jj341 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jj341 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jj341 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jj341 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jj341 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jj341 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    After my rotator cuff surgery I was able to do pull exercises and curls/reverse curls without pain in my shoulder. It kept me satisfied until my shoulder was healed enough to do benches etc. Cortisone and MRI? I had a couple of cortisone shots during rehab that helped me and an MRI would tell you exactly what you are dealing with. Did you discuss this with you doctor?

Originally Posted by jj341 View Post
    After my rotator cuff surgery I was able to do pull exercises and curls/reverse curls without pain in my shoulder. It kept me satisfied until my shoulder was healed enough to do benches etc. Cortisone and MRI? I had a couple of cortisone shots during rehab that helped me and an MRI would tell you exactly what you are dealing with. Did you discuss this with you doctor?
    Yeah. He said ibuprofen and ice. Lighter weights more reps until it feels better. It was feeling better yesterday. Worked out and re aggravated it a bit. Doc didnt seem concerned enough for MRI/ cort shot based on some ways I could move it without any pain.

JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Thanks!
    When I injure a muscle I stop training it until it heals...meaning no pain during an exercise. Injury pain is a signal from your body there is damage. It's that simple.
    How can you visualize training a muscle if you don't know its structure?

soccerdad5 is a name known to all. (+5000) soccerdad5 is a name known to all. (+5000) soccerdad5 is a name known to all. (+5000) soccerdad5 is a name known to all. (+5000) soccerdad5 is a name known to all. (+5000) soccerdad5 is a name known to all. (+5000) soccerdad5 is a name known to all. (+5000) soccerdad5 is a name known to all. (+5000) soccerdad5 is a name known to all. (+5000) soccerdad5 is a name known to all. (+5000) soccerdad5 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    When I injure a muscle I stop training it until it heals...meaning no pain during an exercise. Injury pain is a signal from your body there is damage. It's that simple.
    Jerry how does Super Cissus work and how long does it take for you feel that it is working?
    Bodybuilding Is The Closest Thing We Have To The Fountain Of Youth. Lee Labrada

Location: Wokingham, Berkshire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    NozzaC is on a distinguished road. (+10) NozzaC is on a distinguished road. (+10) NozzaC is on a distinguished road. (+10) NozzaC is on a distinguished road. (+10) NozzaC is on a distinguished road. (+10) NozzaC is on a distinguished road. (+10) NozzaC is on a distinguished road. (+10) NozzaC is on a distinguished road. (+10) NozzaC is on a distinguished road. (+10) NozzaC is on a distinguished road. (+10) NozzaC is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by soccerdad5 View Post

Can you tell me about Super Cissus actually does? I have been out of the game so long, I have never heard of it. Thanks.
    Yes I really think it does. Other than whey powder and fish oil caps, it's the only supplement I bother with. it's lacking the scientific evidence for what it actually does for joint and tendon pain but from personal experience the effect is so strong and consistent that i really rate it. it's nothing short of amazing and for me works a lot better than ibuprofen for my shoulders. I've made up 00 size capsules with the RX Super Cissus powder and I take 2 in the morning, 2 after a session and 2 at bed. Takes a few days to really kick in I find.

USguyinAsia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) USguyinAsia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) USguyinAsia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) USguyinAsia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) USguyinAsia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) USguyinAsia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) USguyinAsia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) USguyinAsia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Get this book -- Treat Your Own Rotator Cuff by Jim Johnson. It is a GODSEND.

BLaaR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BLaaR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BLaaR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BLaaR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BLaaR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BLaaR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BLaaR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BLaaR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BLaaR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BLaaR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BLaaR has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    If you are certain it is a rotator cuff related injury , then this is a great read for you.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...cuff_conundrum