DirkNowitzki has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Deadlifts and multiple reps

When I have done my first deadlift rep, I usually just lower the weight to the floor very quickly, almost like dropping the weight but not totally dropping it.

I am not sure how to reset myself for the next rep....

Do you guys just roll the weight backwards till its touching your shins, or do you pause, let go of the weight, and then start completely over from scratch to get into the starting position?

This may seem like a dumb question, but I find that deadlift is the hardest exercise to do multiple reps with very quickly, since the starting position has to be so precise.

Need advice!

Dirk

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If I perform multiple repetitions, I'll usually utilize a controlled descent and "touch-go" technique. I stop to reset if necessary.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I do it like Dave Tate:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R4PUstaeKM

Set it straight down by dropping it and bending at the waist. Then once it is on the floor, bend the knees till the shins touch the bar. Should just stay straight up and down the whole set.

mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Controlled descent... perform whatever level of reset is necessary to get you back into the proper starting position. What you'll find is that you'll gear your descent and position to minimize the effort it takes to do this. In other words, practice.
    2 + 2 = 5 (for extremely large values of 2)

Try SCE to AUX

Originally Posted by DJAuto View Post
    If I perform multiple repetitions, I'll usually utilize a controlled descent and "touch-go" technique. I stop to reset if necessary.
    I prefer not to do a controlled descent, because you're exerting force on the weight when you do that... its safer to just drop a heavy weight. Of course, this makes the next rep more difficult to set up for, hence the question...

mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by DirkNowitzki View Post
    I prefer not to do a controlled descent, because you're exerting force on the weight when you do that... its safer to just drop a heavy weight. Of course, this makes the next rep more difficult to set up for, hence the question...
    It's safer to not do the lift at all, but that's not the point. Do what works for you, but my suggestion is that you work on controlling the weight through all phases of the lift. You asked.

Try SCE to AUX

I watched the Dave Tate video. He is definitely just dropping the weight, thats not a 'controlled descent'... that weight looks very heavy too!

He seems to be in the correct starting position each time though, not sure how he does that...

TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Controlled descent is sh*t for the deadlift IMO. The exercise is over at the top of the lift. If you set it down slowly, what youre doing is basically stretching your muscles under a load. When you do this, your muscles prepare themselves to shoot back up. This is good for things like the squat, but for the deadlift, you are supposed to start with a dead stop on the floor.

Less effort on the descent = better pulls on subsequent reps

Dropping the weight is not more difficult to set up for. You just need to get good at it.

I watched the Dave Tate video. He is definitely just dropping the weight, thats not a 'controlled descent'... that weight looks very heavy too!

He seems to be in the correct starting position each time though, not sure how he does that...
    Practice. Once you are at lockout, unlock your hips first and shove them back, bending at the waist. Always keep in mind that an object that is in free fall WILL fall in a straight path. Do not bend at the knees, or else your knees will scoot foward under the bar and be crushed.

I'd say that definitely is a controlled descent. He's got straps on and he's not unloading his back muscles. That is very different than dropping the weight.

Try SCE to AUX

Originally Posted by mslman71 View Post
    I'd say that definitely is a controlled descent. He's got straps on and he's not unloading his back muscles. That is very different than dropping the weight.
    Hmm...interesting. Any time I heard controlled descent, I always think of the kind of DL where people take like 5 seconds to set it down. If thats your definition of controlled descent then I agree with controlled descent.

You really dont think he is unloading that weight though? To me it looks like he's just falling with the weight..

PinkNgreen is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PinkNgreen is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PinkNgreen is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PinkNgreen is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PinkNgreen is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PinkNgreen is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PinkNgreen is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PinkNgreen is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PinkNgreen is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PinkNgreen is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PinkNgreen is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    I totally agree with this. When I Bench press as soon as I unrack the bar I let go and let it crash into my chest. It's much safer this way, especially with heavier weight. It also helps me save energy for when I drive the bar back off my chest.

Originally Posted by TBU720 View Post
    Hmm...interesting. Any time I heard controlled descent, I always think of the kind of DL where people take like 5 seconds to set it down. If thats your definition of controlled descent then I agree with controlled descent.

You really dont think he is unloading that weight though? To me it looks like he's just falling with the weight..
    No, I don't think so, especially as he progresses. He's obviously coming down quickly but he is not in free fall, at least not in my opinion. I come down quickly with the weight but I maintain a healthy tension until the weight is making contact with the ground, and do moreso when I am planning on coming back up. But, of course, I don't want to waste any more energy than is absolutely necessary. The goal is to lift it, not set it down slowly!

Managing load throughout the movement with an option to bail if things go wrong is part of the reason I don't use straps, but this is one guy's opinion.

Try SCE to AUX

Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I set it down in a quick controlled way.

Then I run through a quick set up checklist in my head:

1. bar over middle of feet?
    2. hands/grip in good position?
    3. bend knees until shins touch bar!
    4. butt out! chest up!
    5. PULL!
    Stern Crew

Lifting to Avoid COVID-19 PeterGibbons316's Avatar
    PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Get-n-fit View Post
    I don't touch the ground between reps, I go to about an inch off the floor and back up. I'll only touch the ground when I need to reset my grip when I'm lifting heavy, then I'll do 4 or so reps, reset grip and do a few more reps for that set.
    Whatever you do, don't do this^

No, I don't think so, especially as he progresses. He's obviously coming down quickly but he is not in free fall, at least not in my opinion. I come down quickly with the weight but I maintain a healthy tension until the weight is making contact with the ground, and do moreso when I am planning on coming back up. But, of course, I don't want to waste any more energy than is absolutely necessary. The goal is to lift it, not set it down slowly!

Managing load throughout the movement with an option to bail if things go wrong is part of the reason I don't use straps, but this is one guy's opinion.
    Agree with this^

When I do deads it is damn near a free fall from the top - but still no where close to me just dropping it. The bar lands about where it started, I drop my hips, get tight, and begin my next pull.

IMO, the most important part of the deadlift is the setup. If your setup is off, your lift will be bad. So take as much time as you need to to set up. If it means letting go of the bar and standing up between each rep, then do it.
    My Journal (RIP 05/11 - 09/13):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134256491

DIY Plyo Boxes:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151765733

Originally Posted by PinkNgreen View Post
    I totally agree with this. When I Bench press as soon as I unrack the bar I let go and let it crash into my chest. It's much safer this way, especially with heavier weight. It also helps me save energy for when I drive the bar back off my chest.
    Bench press is completely different, don't even compare DL to it...

IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I do very controlled negatives. That's half the lift!

Originally Posted by PeterGibbons316 View Post

IMO, the most important part of the deadlift is the setup. If your setup is off, your lift will be bad. So take as much time as you need to to set up. If it means letting go of the bar and standing up between each rep, then do it.
    Yeah, this makes sense. The only downside is that you are letting your body get a bit of rest between reps, so you lose that feeling of accumulated tension that you get with other basic weightlifting exercises. Once you give your muscles this 5 seconds of rest, the next rep is easier of course...

Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Exactly, but to each his own I'd rather control the negative, also majority of gyms want you dropping a couple hundred pounds of weights repeatedly.

Sounds like some of these guys are doing multiple 1 rep sets.

I have yet to meet any PT or seen any videos says that proper form includes dropping weights and resetting between every single rep.

If you keep good form on the decent why would it be necessary to reset?
    Its called a DEADlift. the bar is lifted DEAD from the ground. your way works fine for you. some people touch and go. but believe me, many, many, many people consider proper deadlifting from a resting position on the ground.

if you keep good form on descent you can probably not reset. some people like to be sure though. also I would add that the whole resetting process for me takes about 1 second.
    Last edited by Retoaded; 06-27-2012 at 12:01 PM.
    Stern Crew

WheelzDatKeelz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WheelzDatKeelz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WheelzDatKeelz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WheelzDatKeelz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WheelzDatKeelz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WheelzDatKeelz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WheelzDatKeelz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WheelzDatKeelz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WheelzDatKeelz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WheelzDatKeelz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WheelzDatKeelz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This^

Show me any instructional video, personal trainer, website or any where that says proper form is to completely drop the bar between every rep and completely reset every single time.

I don't disagree about the name of the lift, but I've never heard any one say proper form is to drop the weights and reset each rep.

jason ferruggis: http://jasonferruggia.com/drop-the-deadlift/

exrx - return bar to floor between reps http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...BDeadlift.html

Rippetoe (maybe more qualified than your average PT?) expressly teaches deadlifts from a dead stop in Starting Strength

do not have my copy at work with me but here is a mention http://strength-basics.blogspot.com/...adlifting.html

more http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

Wendler: You can either lower the bar slowly to the starting position or drop it. (from 5/3/1 manual) Wendler says touch-n-gos are also OK if you can do them safely with form

another strength coach: http://www.deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/tomdl.htm

Stronglifts 5x5: http://stronglifts.com/13-deadlift-m...hnique-stupid/

http://stronglifts.com/deadlift-grip...ease-strength/

also you are putting words in my mouth with the "Completely drop" comment. I never said that anywhere. the statement was, and I quote, "many, many, many people consider proper deadlifting from a resting position on the ground."

dropping or lowering is your choice, resetting is your choice, but the bar goes to the ground between reps. which is what I thought I said. it was in response to your earlier post that you don't let the bar touch the ground doing deadlifts.

edit: I see you started to respond before I edited my post to clarify. point was that deadlifting is lifting the bar dead from the ground, and resetting/dropping/lowering/etc to get it there and back up or optional.

edit: more from 5/3/1 manual:
    There are two options for doing multiple reps with the deadlift. You can either touch-and-go the reps (slight bounce off the floor), or you can do dead stop deadlifts. For these, you’ll reset for each rep. I’ve done both, and both work. The downside to touch-and-go is that when you build up momentum, you can bounce too hard and lose your tightness. If you’re strong enough to hold your position and you have the control to do it, this option will work for you. The dead stop option is good for most people, but make sure you reset perfectly each time.

I'd like to see a coach and/or someone reputable teaching deadlifts that show you don't return the bar to the ground. Very interested in that. SLDLs and RDLs don't count.
    Last edited by Retoaded; 06-27-2012 at 12:46 PM.
    Stern Crew

Are we seriously ****ing discussing whether or not the bar should TOUCH the ground in a set of deadlifts now?

That is so ****ing stupid. The reason the bar touches the ground is so you know that each lift starts and ends at the right place. If you're not touching the ground then you have no evidence that youre getting stronger rather than just leaving it half an inch further off the ground each time.

OY ... why do these always degrade into abject stupidity? All the relevant concepts have been mentioned. Sprinkle a little common sense on the high points and you should have the tools to accomplish what you want with this lift.

This isn't rocket science.

Try SCE to AUX

BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by IDrinkBloodLOL View Post
    I do very controlled negatives. That's half the lift!

OY ... why do these always degrade into abject stupidity? All the relevant concepts have been mentioned. Sprinkle a little common sense on the high points and you should have the tools to accomplish what you want with this lift.

This isn't rocket science.

so what is ERF? is that some new fangled giant Bosu Ball you got?
    Stern Crew

Lifting to Avoid COVID-19 PeterGibbons316's Avatar
    PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Looks like there are multiple ways to do it and variances in the support you provided. The first 2 show the touch and go method and the deep squatter is completely against touch and go and, as I was thinking, says to treat each rep as 1 set.
    Yes, there are multiple ways to deadlift. Your way is not one of them. Your way is wrong.
    My Journal (RIP 05/11 - 09/13):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134256491

DIY Plyo Boxes:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151765733

one so much as to say move backwards so the bar doesn't hit your knees on it's way to the ground!
    You are straight up retarded. The advice was to avoid bending at the knees so that they dont move under the bar. Not to move backwards.......

Get-n-fit: if you are not touching the ground with the weight, then how can you know if you are pulling it the same distance each time or if you are cutting the ROM?

So I agree with the people who are saying to drop the weight to the ground.

I think Rippetoe suggests just rolling the weight back to your shins while you are crouching in the starting position, is that what you do?

Protege385 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Protege385 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Protege385 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Protege385 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Protege385 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Protege385 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Protege385 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Protege385 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Protege385 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Protege385 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Protege385 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I do em like dis:

Originally Posted by Protege385 View Post
    I do em like dis:

strong lifts man. haha you look like me, eyes about to bulge out right before you pull on a deadlift.
    Stern Crew

Protege385 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Protege385 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Protege385 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Protege385 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Protege385 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Protege385 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Protege385 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Protege385 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Protege385 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Protege385 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Protege385 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    lol i probably make the same face with 135