Toazt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

No weight loss, am I gaining equal weight in muscle?

I'll start off by throwing my stats out there-
    235lbs, 6'5", (I got a picture of body on profile somewhere). Fairly high BF% I'd guess, not really sure. Basic calculators you can find online say anywhere from 20-28%.

Started lifting about 1.5 months or so ago, and didn't see any weight loss occurring, but that wasn't much of an issue. During this routine I was doing 4 days a week in the gym, with regular hour or less exercises consisting of back/bi's, chest/tri's, ect ect. For an example of strength gains, when I first started at the gym I was doing 40lb preacher curls and couldn't a 3rd set. Now I can do 110lbs 10x for all sets.

Last week I threw in some low-moderate cardio sessions (45min) post workout, and still seeing very little weight loss if any. I am noticing quite a gain on muscle strength, increasing weights weekly on average. Regimen now is hour of weight training (upper-body one day, lower body the next- repeat) for about 22-24sets each, followed by the cardio (45min, low-mod)

My diet is on check, low carb, low-mod. fat and high protein. I try to get at least 230g of protein a day. Breakfast consists of a moderate portion of oatmeal with a scoop of powder or a few eggs and a piece of toasted whole wheat bread. Throughout the day I eat when I feel hungry, consisting of either almonds, cucumbers, carrots, protein shake, various fruits ect. Supper is either fish, steak, chicken or pork with various veggies. Holding a caloric deficit for my body size.

Only thing supplementation wise is a multi-vitamin and whey isolate.

So... what's up? Haven't really noticed any weight loss, but it's hard to tell when you see yourself everyday.

senoner will become famous soon enough. (+50) senoner will become famous soon enough. (+50) senoner will become famous soon enough. (+50) senoner will become famous soon enough. (+50) senoner will become famous soon enough. (+50) senoner will become famous soon enough. (+50) senoner will become famous soon enough. (+50) senoner will become famous soon enough. (+50) senoner will become famous soon enough. (+50) senoner will become famous soon enough. (+50) senoner will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Toazt View Post
    I'll start off by throwing my stats out there-
    235lbs, 6'5", (I got a picture of body on profile somewhere). Fairly high BF% I'd guess, not really sure. Basic calculators you can find online say anywhere from 20-28%.

Started lifting about 1.5 months or so ago, and didn't see any weight loss occurring, but that wasn't much of an issue. During this routine I was doing 4 days a week in the gym, with regular hour or less exercises consisting of back/bi's, chest/tri's, ect ect. For an example of strength gains, when I first started at the gym I was doing 40lb preacher curls and couldn't a 3rd set. Now I can do 110lbs 10x for all sets.

Last week I threw in some low-moderate cardio sessions (45min) post workout, and still seeing very little weight loss if any. I am noticing quite a gain on muscle strength, increasing weights weekly on average. Regimen now is hour of weight training (upper-body one day, lower body the next- repeat) for about 22-24sets each, followed by the cardio (45min, low-mod)

My diet is on check, low carb, low-mod. fat and high protein. I try to get at least 230g of protein a day. Breakfast consists of a moderate portion of oatmeal with a scoop of powder or a few eggs and a piece of toasted whole wheat bread. Throughout the day I eat when I feel hungry, consisting of either almonds, cucumbers, carrots, protein shake, various fruits ect. Supper is either fish, steak, chicken or pork with various veggies. Holding a caloric deficit for my body size.

Only thing supplementation wise is a multi-vitamin and whey isolate.

So... what's up? Haven't really noticed any weight loss, but it's hard to tell when you see yourself everyday.
    Sounds like you don't have your diet on check as you say you do. If you dont keep track of your food intake how do you know you are in a caloric deficit? If you were in a deficit then you would be losing weight. You are probably eating more than you think.

Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    its difficult to build muscle while gaining weight, you wouldnt be putting it on to mask weight (fat) loss. You just need to eat less, specifically count every single calorie that you eat until weight it coming off.
    There is always someone less fortunate, with real hunger, with real adversity, who made something of themselves. What is your excuse?

Ammex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ammex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ammex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ammex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ammex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ammex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ammex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ammex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ammex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ammex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ammex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Serpentarius View Post
    its difficult to build muscle while gaining weight, you wouldnt be putting it on to mask weight (fat) loss. You just need to eat less, specifically count every single calorie that you eat until weight it coming off.
    Someone with higher BF could, coincidently, eat the perfect amount of calories to have their noob gains match their fat loss. Highly doubt this is the case here though. OP's reps are high and weight is low. He's just eating too much.

Originally Posted by senoner View Post
    Sounds like you don't have your diet on check as you say you do. If you dont keep track of your food intake how do you know you are in a caloric deficit? If you were in a deficit then you would be losing weight. You are probably eating more than you think.
    Max 1600 calories/day, spread across 4-6 'meals', usually around 1450.

3 years ago I was 302lbs. My diet hasn't slipped due to fear of becoming a wall once again. I lost the original 70lbs through travel rugby and football leagues I played in, the weight dropped in 2months. Haven't gained or lost a pound in those 2+ years.

msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000)
    For an example of strength gains, when I first started at the gym I was doing 40lb preacher curls and couldn't a 3rd set. Now I can do 110lbs 10x for all sets.
    Does not compute ...

So after 1.5 months of working out you can do 110lb freeweight preacher curls for multiple sets of 10 reps? I know guys (myself included) who have been lifting for years and can't manage anything of that magnitude.

Or are you talking a preacher curl machine?

Originally Posted by msm00b View Post
    Does not compute ...

So after 1.5 months of working out you can do 110lb freeweight preacher curls for multiple sets of 10 reps? I know guys (myself included) who have been lifting for years and can't manage anything of that magnitude.

Or are you talking a preacher curl machine?
    Machine

msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Machine
    Ah nevermind then. My working sets on a preacher machine are higher than my standing 1 rep max for curls

ryancarlos will become famous soon enough. (+50) ryancarlos will become famous soon enough. (+50) ryancarlos will become famous soon enough. (+50) ryancarlos will become famous soon enough. (+50) ryancarlos will become famous soon enough. (+50) ryancarlos will become famous soon enough. (+50) ryancarlos will become famous soon enough. (+50) ryancarlos will become famous soon enough. (+50) ryancarlos will become famous soon enough. (+50) ryancarlos will become famous soon enough. (+50) ryancarlos will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've been losing weight since june 1st 3+ pounds a week and increased my bench from 90 to 120 so far. So I would say I've built a decent amount of muscle but the scale still goes down. Lots of leg muscle added too.
    my weight loss / work out thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=145474101

Mongo81X has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mongo81X has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mongo81X has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mongo81X has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mongo81X has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mongo81X has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mongo81X has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mongo81X has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mongo81X has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mongo81X has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mongo81X has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I have seen consistent gains as far as strength, and have lost 24 pounds in the last 2 months. So you can gain strength while losing fat (newb gains). However unless you are actually logging everything going into your mouth you are probably over eating. A handfull of nuts can be well over 100 cals.