jackg90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jackg90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jackg90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jackg90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jackg90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jackg90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jackg90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jackg90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jackg90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

what keeps you going!

just thought i would start this thread, what keeps you guys going?
    this is my 1st comp, nw it was going to be hard, but man some days are killer! tired hungry and ache like mad, then some days feel amazing happy full of enery and cannot wait to train!

what do you guys with experience do on the low points to keep you motivated?

Demon Fitness - Owner demonwareltd's Avatar
    demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by jackg90 View Post
    this is my 1st comp, nw it was going to be hard, but man some days are killer! tired hungry and ache like mad, then some days feel amazing happy full of enery and cannot wait to train!

It's hard. It's really hard. That's why few take the stage and even of those who PLAN to take the stage, fall by the way side. You need to have a support system, someone to talk to. There were a few times during my last prep, where I just broke down and cried. Wanted to screw the diet, eat whatever I wanted so I had more energy to do the things in life I needed to do. My wife was there to talk me out of it, point out how far I've come, etc...

Some people think giving in and taking a big cheat meal helps but it really hurts in the long run. If you cheat when you are feeling down, you are going to think about cheating again and again. So don't do it. Just talk it out. If you have other guys in your gym who are competing, bitch to them about all the rigors of prep, how miserable you are, etc. Misery loves company and it's good to know others are having a hard time as well.

Of course, this forum is full of great advice and good listeners, so if you feel like throwing in the towel, post up here.

At the end, I will guarantee you it's worth every bit of sacrifice. Nothing will ever compare to the first time I took the stage. I felt amazing. You feel like you can take on the world. Your outlook on life will change and you will be better for it.

Now go make it happen!

matt1005 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1005 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1005 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1005 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1005 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1005 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just wanting to do my best. 3 weeks out from IFPA PRO USA in CA. Flying across country and going through back pain, and a stomach that is not working properly. But there is something inside that just wants to keep pushing even though I feel like crap. Going to start 3 cardio sessions today and hopefully my stomach clears out.
    I have put on 3 pounds in the last 3 days with a bloated stomach. Frustrating
    Matt Esmond
    Competition Coach
    IFPA Natural Pro Bodybuilder
    Contest Coach = Myself
    Check out my prep at http://www.youtube.com/user/ezbodybuilding

jackg90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jackg90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jackg90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jackg90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jackg90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jackg90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jackg90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jackg90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jackg90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yes this is by far the hardest thing i have ever done, love it and hate it at the same time!
    i have decided to write down all my goals and why i am doing this. it has seemed to help today and gave me a lot more confidance,
    yes cheating sucks i gave in yesterday felt sick tired ill run down so ate what ever, used the i am 14 weeks out its fine excuse!
    i now feel even worse, so i have recorded this and next time i am going to read this and show my self it is not worth it as it fixs nothing!!!!
    just getting back on with it, have set 2 week goals from now on not just " look good on stage as i was driffting away from this goal as its a long time away!

Demon Fitness - Owner demonwareltd's Avatar
    demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000)
    yes this is by far the hardest thing i have ever done, love it and hate it at the same time!
    i have decided to write down all my goals and why i am doing this. it has seemed to help today and gave me a lot more confidance,
    yes cheating sucks i gave in yesterday felt sick tired ill run down so ate what ever, used the i am 14 weeks out its fine excuse!
    i now feel even worse, so i have recorded this and next time i am going to read this and show my self it is not worth it as it fixs nothing!!!!
    just getting back on with it, have set 2 week goals from now on not just " look good on stage as i was driffting away from this goal as its a long time away!
    '

Good for you! Once you get closer to the stage and your body starts looking more and more amazing it's easier not to cheat, trust me. When I started out my prep, I was 243 and I dropped down to 195 for the show. Needless to say the first 2 months were so hard because visibly there was very little change to get motivated about (even though I was dropping 2 lbs a week). As you get leaner, your motivation will increase. I found this to be true every time!

matt1005 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1005 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1005 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1005 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1005 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1005 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Little story. I started dieting Christmas Eve for my first show 11 years ago(where does time go). Figured if I make it through all the holidays without cheating, then I am good Well I made it and the first show was all worth it. Went through Christmas, new years, and easter. Maybe some others too. Birthdays are always fun, hahah yeah right. Keep up the good work!
    Matt Esmond
    Competition Coach
    IFPA Natural Pro Bodybuilder
    Contest Coach = Myself
    Check out my prep at http://www.youtube.com/user/ezbodybuilding

USPlabs Product Educator classic34's Avatar
    classic34 is just really nice. (+1000) classic34 is just really nice. (+1000) classic34 is just really nice. (+1000) classic34 is just really nice. (+1000) classic34 is just really nice. (+1000) classic34 is just really nice. (+1000) classic34 is just really nice. (+1000) classic34 is just really nice. (+1000) classic34 is just really nice. (+1000) classic34 is just really nice. (+1000) classic34 is just really nice. (+1000)
    It helps me to remind myself that no one is making me do this... When I remember that the only reason I am doing this is because I decided to and because I want to prove to myself that I can do it I am way more motivated and have an easier time dealing with the days of being tired, hungry, and irritated.
    USPlabs | Ultra-Premium Sports Supplements | Product Educator

Information, advice and recommendations in this post are at the reader's sole discretion and risk and are not to be interpreted as an attempt to prescribe or practice medicine. You should see a licensed doctor before starting any diet and/or exercise program or when making health-related decisions. This information has not been evaluated by the FDA. These products are not intended to treat, diagnose, cure or prevent any disease.

red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I've done it once. Now I've got something to be better than. That's what motivates me every day right now.

Naptime513 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Naptime513 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Naptime513 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Naptime513 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Naptime513 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Naptime513 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Naptime513 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Naptime513 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Naptime513 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Naptime513 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Naptime513 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My wife is prepping too, so we complain to each other. Our friends and co-workers have been pretty supportive as well because they know it's our first comp (well at least some of our friends)....sucks when some people don't want to hang out anymore because you can't eat or drink alcohol like normal.

NGA\IFPA Pro Bodybuilder fltallpaul's Avatar
    fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

What keeps me going is the desire to do something that very few have the will power to do. To turn by body into a display of my hard work and determination. I have always been a competitive person and contest prep is the ultimate challenge. There is no one but me who determines how I do. Sure, getting help from others can make things easier but I determine my diet, training, and many other factors which will shape everything on stage. The low days of contest prep is the feeling of being alive, enjoy it. Remember that you can always end it at any time but then you would not know the great feeling you get from depriving and perservering. Am I hungry, tired, cranky? Yes, but I keep those things to myself as these are the struggles that make us so rare. Don't focus on just the bodybuilding stage, because if you do, when its all over you will be lost. Instead focus on what you are learning about yourself during this time, how far you can push yourself physically and mentally, then when the contest is over keep that focus and diret it toward building a bigger better you. Bodybuilding has taught me more than just how to build muscle and lose fat, pose and put color on. It has taught me time management, that I can do anything I set out to do. My life has improved in hundreds of ways because of the struggles I learned to deal with, I have become a better friend, cook and all around person to those who know me.

If I really need some motivation I just look at the pictures and videos of the guys who have lived the lifestyle I am living and what they have accomplished. Tell me the name of a truly accomplished Pro Natural Bodybuilder and I guarantee they have a very fullfiling life with so much positivity going on around them. From great husbands and fathers to business owners and entrepeneurs. I have made some great friends that will last a life time by entering into this sport. You have to love bodybuilding as a whole though, not just the response you get from people on stage....love every second of the hunger, light headed, and tired days. If you do this right you can go far in other areas of life, and if you do it right you will love being there!
    Contest Prep Coach

Paul@ProPhysique.com

Core Nutritionals/Outwork Apparel Athlete

NGA & IFPA Pro Bodybuilder

Pro Natural Bodybuilder Spadaboom's Avatar
    Spadaboom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spadaboom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spadaboom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spadaboom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spadaboom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spadaboom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spadaboom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spadaboom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spadaboom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spadaboom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spadaboom is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by fltallpaul View Post
    What keeps me going is the desire to do something that very few have the will power to do. To turn by body into a display of my hard work and determination. I have always been a competitive person and contest prep is the ultimate challenge. There is no one but me who determines how I do. Sure, getting help from others can make things easier but I determine my diet, training, and many other factors which will shape everything on stage. The low days of contest prep is the feeling of being alive, enjoy it. Remember that you can always end it at any time but then you would not know the great feeling you get from depriving and perservering. Am I hungry, tired, cranky? Yes, but I keep those things to myself as these are the struggles that make us so rare. Don't focus on just the bodybuilding stage, because if you do, when its all over you will be lost. Instead focus on what you are learning about yourself during this time, how far you can push yourself physically and mentally, then when the contest is over keep that focus and diret it toward building a bigger better you. Bodybuilding has taught me more than just how to build muscle and lose fat, pose and put color on. It has taught me time management, that I can do anything I set out to do. My life has improved in hundreds of ways because of the struggles I learned to deal with, I have become a better friend, cook and all around person to those who know me.

If I really need some motivation I just look at the pictures and videos of the guys who have lived the lifestyle I am living and what they have accomplished. Tell me the name of a truly accomplished Pro Natural Bodybuilder and I guarantee they have a very fullfiling life with so much positivity going on around them. From great husbands and fathers to business owners and entrepeneurs. I have made some great friends that will last a life time by entering into this sport. You have to love bodybuilding as a whole though, not just the response you get from people on stage....love every second of the hunger, light headed, and tired days. If you do this right you can go far in other areas of life, and if you do it right you will love being there!

Wow Paul that is so very true stuff. Well put and I cant put it better myself.

Its about giving your all and accomplishing what many and sometimes even you may believe is the impossible. It teaches you that there are no limits and life is shaped solely through your own actions. I determine what, how and when I want to do something. Bodybuilding is the main vechicle to do so. Have an image in mind that I want to achieve whether it been in 6 weeks, months or years is what keeps me going.
    UFE Pro Natural Bodybuilder

Team Fitness Center Athlete

Follow me on ********: www.********.com/Chrisliveyoungdreambig (I am looking to Inspire and Motivate through my actions)

Work with the Best Canadian Natural Bodybuilders: www.********.com/thefitnesscenterTO

Canadian Athlete

nico_icecold is on a distinguished road. (+10) nico_icecold is on a distinguished road. (+10) nico_icecold is on a distinguished road. (+10) nico_icecold is on a distinguished road. (+10) nico_icecold is on a distinguished road. (+10) nico_icecold is on a distinguished road. (+10) nico_icecold is on a distinguished road. (+10) nico_icecold is on a distinguished road. (+10) nico_icecold is on a distinguished road. (+10) nico_icecold is on a distinguished road. (+10) nico_icecold is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Some amazing comments. For me I don't have anyone to talk to about it. My wife and family don't really get it and friends to see the point and to top it off I'm limited to an hour of training 3 times a week. But it's the hunger for a goal that made me not join in the family pizza parties. The hunger that made me do my cardio in my lunch breaks at work. The hunger that made me try and better every workout and push myself beyond what I thought possible. It's that little voice in your head which keeps me going and the hunger to not give up as that for me is failure!
    "You may feel you are building muscle, you can be working hard, sweating, getting tired and sore, but unless you are sending the right code to the body, you are going to be disappointed in your results" - Arnold (The Encyclopedia of modern bodybuilding)

Originally Posted by fltallpaul View Post

aster
    im glad i started this post! ^ thats what i needed, this week i have grown to love it again! training 20 times harder,. i now have a note pad on my phone i record how i feel and when and what i didn to get over it, also put down why im doing it, and my goals, everytime i get a low or want to eat something badd, i look it this post, or my pad and power through!
    thanks!!!11

Chin up and stop crying. Zachary533's Avatar
    Zachary533 is just really nice. (+1000) Zachary533 is just really nice. (+1000) Zachary533 is just really nice. (+1000) Zachary533 is just really nice. (+1000) Zachary533 is just really nice. (+1000) Zachary533 is just really nice. (+1000) Zachary533 is just really nice. (+1000) Zachary533 is just really nice. (+1000) Zachary533 is just really nice. (+1000) Zachary533 is just really nice. (+1000) Zachary533 is just really nice. (+1000)
    So many great answers ITT,

I'd have to agree with most- all I can really add is this is known as the hardest sport in the world, people know how hard it is to diet and will do their best to support you, which is so humbling and makes you want to keep going, train harder, diet precisely. The self-respect you gain afterwards, and the respect from others is totally worth it, let alone the feeling of being able to conquer ANY obstacle that comes your way in life after putting yourself through a comp, REGARDLESS OF WINNING OR LOSING.

Best of luck with your prep bro, i'll be thinking of ya as i go into week 2 of my 14 week countdown.
    *Advanced 5/3/1 lifts, aiming for Elite*

Char will become famous soon enough. (+50) Char will become famous soon enough. (+50) Char will become famous soon enough. (+50) Char will become famous soon enough. (+50) Char will become famous soon enough. (+50) Char will become famous soon enough. (+50) Char will become famous soon enough. (+50) Char will become famous soon enough. (+50) Char will become famous soon enough. (+50) Char will become famous soon enough. (+50) Char will become famous soon enough. (+50)

I remember the The feeling I get when I step on stage. I giggle like a little kid inside It's the most amazing feeling to stand there in your best shape ever.

Every time I feel tired and hungry I think "winners do what the losers wont, and I am a winner" so I suck it up
    - Failure is not an option
    - We are all a product of the choices we make
    - I can accept failure; everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying.
    ..... Michael Jordan

DeeElAre is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeeElAre is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeeElAre is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeeElAre is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeeElAre is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeeElAre is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeeElAre is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeeElAre is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeeElAre is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeeElAre is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeeElAre is on a distinguished road. (+10)

appearance

I'm 3 weeks out from my first show (22.5 days actually but whos counting), whenever i feel like i wanna break down and go eat a pizza, i just look in the mirror, look how far ive come, and think about how good its going to feel once i get on stage and win my division.

edit: that and chewing tobacco... a nice dip really calms me down
    Last edited by DeeElAre; 06-28-2012 at 06:19 AM.
    5' 10" 200
    450x1 Squat
    335x1 Bench
    520x1 Deadlift

1st show July 21st

grindyourmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) grindyourmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) grindyourmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) grindyourmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) grindyourmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) grindyourmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) grindyourmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) grindyourmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) grindyourmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) grindyourmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) grindyourmind is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Sometimes it's really hard to keep going especially when you KNOW, your training not to gain, but just to hold your mass. But I think as soon as I'm trough with my cut, I can start over with gaining some more mass and until then it#s a personal challenge.