aprilannette has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Where to start after baby - cardio or strength?

Hello, I am new, kind of, just never posted before. I have been a lurker for many years, there is a lot of great information here!

I have a general question about what I should do right now in regards to training. I will give a little background first. I just had my second child 4 weeks ago, there is only 15 months between my first and second so these pregnancies were pretty much back to back. My nutrition is back in check, I have no problem eating clean (when I am not pregnant). I eat approx. 1400 calories daily, a 40/40/20 split or close to it. Looking at my pictures below you will see I have a lot of extra fat, what would you guys suggest I focus on first, heavy lifting or more cardio/plyometric exercises? I did no exercise while I was pregnant. I am currently 151, my height is 5'6". My goal is to lose the extra fat as well as gain muscle. Personally, I hate cardio so am leaning toward just focusing on strength training now, lifting as heavy as possible and getting my strength back and adding cardio in later. That is where I need your help, is that a good plan, and what would you suggest?

Thank you in advance for your replies!!
    Attached Images

catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Sure you can lose the weight just focusing on strength training. Have you read the sticky on calorie and macronutrient needs in the nutrition? I would just set up a diet based on that anywhere from 250cal to 500cal/day deficit from your maintenance and just go from there. Also read the sticky on training basics. As a newbie it doesn't really matter what you do, as long as you are happy doing it. Just make sure whatever diet you write for yourself that it is something you like, it is much easier to stick to. Good luck.

bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Since you hate cardio, you can just stick with strength training. Cardio is good for your heart health of course, but it's not particularly helpful for fat loss. It sounds like you have your diet in check so you should have no problem with weight loss.

Are you breastfeeding? If so you should get your calories up higher.
    ** Current Maxes: **
    Deadlift: 235 lbs // Bench: 100 lbs // Squat: 185 lbs // Overhead Press: 80 lbs

aprilannette has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thank you for your replies!

Catskills - Yes I have read the stickies and it is terrific info, but as I was putting my plan together, I started second guessing things. I have never had this much extra fat on my frame so I started questioning myself, thinking maybe what normally worked in the past, perhaps wouldn't be the most effective for where I am at now. I love my diet, I eat the exact same thing every day due to a sensative stomach, but I like it that way, makes things so much easier. I feel much more confident now in my approach, thanks again!

bethanyboo - I have never had problems with fat loss by just doing strength training, but again, I have never had this much fat to get rid of. Needed reassurance! As far as breastfeeding, I will stop after 6 weeks, but I have been adding in 2 extra 300 calorie healthy snacks on top of my primary nutrition plan to maintain my supply, but those 2 snacks will be taken out in 2 more weeks leaving me with the 1400 calorie per day nutrition plan.

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    "eating clean" is not necessary and likely to send most people off the diet wagon in short order. Lift heavy, skip cardio if you hate it and get your diet dialed in. Personally I'd keep wiggle room in your diet to eat the stuff you like - life's not worth living if I have to eat grilled this and steamed that for months on end...

Think LONG TERM. Give yourself time to reach your goal - a year. Lose slowly, lift heavy, eat good food and enjoy the journey.
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."