gauravsi is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Maximising workout for chinups

I can do 7 proper chinup reps for biceps per set, but I heard I need at least 45 secs per set to maximise hypertrophy. How to I maximise my chin up routine to reach that figure ? I'm a beginner doing calisthenics and my target is hypertrophy.
    Last edited by gauravsi; 08-04-2017 at 04:41 AM.

k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Don't worry about over complicating things by drawing out the reps with bodyweight exercises unless you're training to be a gymnast.

Just focus on trying to do more reps....7, 10, 15, 20....the muscle will come.

Originally Posted by k9pit View Post
    Don't worry about over complicating things by drawing out the reps with bodyweight exercises unless you're training to be a gymnast.

Just focus on trying to do more reps....7, 10, 15, 20....the muscle will come.
    Hey thanks

TrustySquatter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrustySquatter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrustySquatter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My advice would be to incorporate isometric chin ups at a high position, increasing the period of time. I would also use eccentric chin ups to build strength in the muscles and progress that by adding a weight to a belt if you have it and are at an advanced enough level. Get plenty of volume in terms of chin ups, change your grips and use plenty of different exercises, especially your bent over rows and single arm rows etc to build up those muscles. All gradually of course and under good control

Originally Posted by TrustySquatter View Post
    My advice would be to incorporate isometric chin ups at a high position, increasing the period of time. I would also use eccentric chin ups to build strength in the muscles and progress that by adding a weight to a belt if you have it and are at an advanced enough level. Get plenty of volume in terms of chin ups, change your grips and use plenty of different exercises, especially your bent over rows and single arm rows etc to build up those muscles. All gradually of course and under good control
    Thanks, that's great advise ! I was also thinking if I do another 3 setter after sometime (say 6 hours) it'll help. Does it have the same effect as incorporating isometrics and doing just one 3 setter ?
    Last edited by gauravsi; 08-04-2017 at 06:41 AM.

banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    What k9pit said, just focus on doing more pullups, and don't overthink it by worrying about time per set, isometrics, etc.

Adding 3 more sets later in the day should help (assuming you're not burning yourself out going to failure). Google "Grease the Groove pullups" for more info on this.

If/when you can do 10-12 pullups, consider adding a weight belt to increase the resistance.

Good luck!
    Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169283793

Originally Posted by banjoman23 View Post
    What k9pit said, just focus on doing more pullups, and don't overthink it by worrying about time per set, isometrics, etc.

Adding 3 more sets later in the day should help (assuming you're not burning yourself out going to failure). Google "Grease the Groove pullups" for more info on this.

If/when you can do 10-12 pullups, consider adding a weight belt to increase the resistance.

Good luck!
    That helped, thanks ! So that means I need to stop just short of failure so that I can do more sets again ?
    Last edited by gauravsi; 08-04-2017 at 08:57 AM.

banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by gauravsi View Post
    That helped, thanks ! So that means I need to stop just short of failure so that I can do more sets again ?
    If you're doing a higher frequency, grease-the-groove type of method where you're doing them everyday and/or multiple times per day, then yes. And that'll get your pullup #s up quickest.

IMO, if you're only doing pullups 2-3x/wk, then I'd treat them like other exercises and roast em, then recover.
    Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169283793

[QUOTE=banjoman23;1514523931]If you're doing a higher frequency, grease-the-groove type of method where you're doing them everyday and/or multiple times per day, then yes. And that'll get your pullup #s up quickest.

Thanks for the help, I get it now.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Eventually you'll need to add weight to stimulate muscle growth.
    You'll only go so far with only body weight.
    Tie a weight around your waist and start again as you did with body weight.

Also you should try to do several types of pull ups and even chin ups.
    Close,medium and wide grips.
    They all put stress on the back/lats a little differently.
    Good luck.

Originally Posted by Garage Rat View Post
    Eventually you'll need to add weight to stimulate muscle growth.
    You'll only go so far with only body weight.
    Tie a weight around your waist and start again as you did with body weight.

Also you should try to do several types of pull ups and even chin ups.
    Close,medium and wide grips.
    They all put stress on the back/lats a little differently.
    Good luck.
    Thanks, will take your advise seriously !